|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the children dismissed from school?
(a) The striking of a piece of iron on a string.
(b) The teachers formally thank the children for coming and are thanked in return.
(c) The beating of drums.
(d) The blowing of a horn.
2. What rumor is circulated about Muthoni after her death?
(a) She was pregnant.
(b) She was poisoned by the missionaries.
(c) She killed herself.
(d) She actually ran away and isn't dead.
3. What shape does Waiyaki see in his mind?
(a) A fire.
(b) A Mugumo tree.
(c) A school building.
(d) A woman.
4. Who knows Waiyaki was in Joshua's church?
(c) One of his student's parents.
5. Who saw Waiyaki in Mukuyu late at night?
6. Who was the one person Waiyaki felt he'd been able to be emotionally close to?
(a) His father.
(b) Reverend Livingstone.
(c) His young sister.
7. What do the Gikuyu people see as the white man's "magic"?
(a) The new train.
(c) Modern weapons.
8. What are the Christians in Makuyu called?
(a) "Traitors of Murungu."
(b) "Men of Joshua."
(c) "White Gikuyu."
(d) "Jesus Followers."
9. Who does Kabonyi wish were in Waiyaki's place?
10. How does Muthoni get to Siriana?
(a) She is pushed on a cart.
(b) She rides a donkey.
(c) She walks.
(d) She is carried on a stretcher.
11. What does Waiyaki plan to have the children do the next day?
(a) Rethatch the roof.
(b) Dig trenches around the school.
(c) Mud the building.
(d) Plant a garden.
12. Who is the headmaster of the new school?
13. Who visits Waiyaki's hut in Chapter Sixteen?
(b) His mother.
14. What does Waiyaki notice that Joshua knows well?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The names of his congregation.
(c) The white man's laws.
15. What does Reverend Livingstone usually wear on his head?
(a) A bandana.
(b) His glasses.
(c) A pith helmet.
(d) A fedora.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Joshua finishes his sermon?
2. Whom does Nyambura suspect Waiyaki of planning to visit?
3. What kind of disease does Chege have?
4. Who does Muthoni say she sees as she is dying?
5. Who can tell that Nyambura is excited and dreamy?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)