|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Waiyaki forget to preach in Chapter Eighteen?
(b) Expansion of the schools.
(c) Purity of the tribe.
(d) Importance of learning.
2. Who does Muthoni say she sees as she is dying?
3. Which of these is not something Waiyaki says at the meeting is needed for the schools?
(b) Pencils and paper.
(c) More teachers.
4. What does "Gikuyu Karinga" mean?
(a) "Gikuyu land forever."
(b) "Keep the tribe pure."
(c) "Education is imperative."
(d) "Never surrender."
5. What shape does Waiyaki see in his mind?
(a) A school building.
(b) A fire.
(c) A woman.
(d) A Mugumo tree.
6. Who has become the leader of the hills following Chege's death?
(c) An elder from Gathanjo.
7. What did Waiyaki propose be built for the school that was opposed?
(b) A third building.
(c) A garden.
(d) A well.
8. What does Reverend Livingstone usually wear on his head?
(a) His glasses.
(b) A bandana.
(c) A fedora.
(d) A pith helmet.
9. What kind of disease does Chege have?
10. What do many Gikuyu people see as a sign of a good teacher?
(a) Long school days.
(b) Hearing the teacher yell at the students.
(c) The beating of students.
(d) The arrival of real books in the village.
11. On what does Kinuthia intimate the Gikuyu will have to pay taxes?
(a) Their crops.
(b) Their land.
(c) Their huts.
(d) Their livestock.
12. Who is weeping at the end of Chapter Twelve?
(a) Waiyaki's mother.
13. Who does Waiyaki set off to see in the night?
(a) His mother.
14. What is Waiyaki watching at the beginning of Chapter Thirteen?
(a) The rain.
(b) A ceremonial dance.
(c) Children playing.
(d) An animal sacrifice.
15. Who leads the first split within the ridge people?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it said in Chapter Seventeen that one admired in Joshua?
2. What is Waiyaki called by the people?
3. What do the Gikuyu people see as the white man's "magic"?
4. Where was Nyambura supposed to meet Waiyaki at the beginning of Chapter Sixteen?
5. What does Waiyaki go to get for his father?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)