|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the great warrior who killed a lion by himself as a young man?
(b) Mugo wa Kibiro.
2. Where does the relative Muthoni thinks will help her live?
(a) Kameno ridge.
(c) In their village.
3. What did the ancient seer call white men?
(a) "People with clothes like butterflies."
(b) "People from the other world."
(c) "People with milk-skin."
(d) "People with clothes like flowers."
4. On what night are the social codes relaxed between men and women?
(a) The harvest celebration.
(b) The eve of the initiation cermonies.
(c) The night after the initiation ceremonies.
(d) The celebration of a son's birth.
5. Who does Nyambura quote as saying circumcision is sinful?
(a) The prophet Isaiah.
(b) Reverend Livingstone.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) Their father, Joshua.
6. What does Joshua's house look like?
(a) A round, thatched hut.
(b) A rectangular building with a tin roof.
(c) A log cabin.
(d) A mud-brick, square structure.
7. From where did the ancient seer whisper to his son that salvation would come?
(b) Across the ocean.
(c) White man.
(d) The hills.
8. Which of these is not used as an instrument during the initiation dances?
(c) Broken tins.
9. Who were Gikuyu and Mumbi?
(a) Great warriors of the tribe.
(b) The first people to settle on the Kameno ridge.
(c) Waiyaki's grandparents.
(d) The first people of the tribe.
10. Who does Waiyaki see watching him with Muthoni?
(b) His father.
(c) Muthoni's aunt.
(d) His mother.
11. How many sons does Chege have?
12. Who was the great witch whose magic won him great fame?
(d) Mugo wa Kibiro.
13. What livestock are the boys in charge of?
14. Why do young people visit the river before the rite of circumcision?
(a) To wash themselves.
(b) To numb their skin.
(c) To wet rags for use during the ceremony.
(d) To drink from the river.
15. How did Waiyaki feel the morning of the ceremony in Chapter Three?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is not a god worshiped by the Kikuyu?
2. What does Chege tell Waiyaki the bark of a certain tree is good for?
3. Which of these is not something Muthoni tells Waiyaki she wants?
4. Where does Waiyaki speak to Muthoni?
5. From whom does Chege tell Waiyaki that he is descended?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)