|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the old saying quoted near the end of Chapter One, what is not for strangers?
(a) The coming-of-age ceremonies.
(b) Fruit from the sacred grove.
(c) Sharing the tribe's disagreements.
(d) The oilskin of the house.
2. Who was the ancient seer from Kameno?
(c) Mugo wa Kibiro.
3. What animal was slaughtered for the ceremony?
(a) A goat.
(b) A cow.
(c) A pig.
(d) A sheep.
4. How many sons does Chege have?
5. For what sin of his wife's does Joshua beg God's forgiveness?
(a) Her disobedience.
(b) Her circumcision.
(c) Her lack of authority with the people of Makuyu.
(d) Her failure to give birth to a son.
6. On what night are the social codes relaxed between men and women?
(a) The eve of the initiation cermonies.
(b) The night after the initiation ceremonies.
(c) The harvest celebration.
(d) The celebration of a son's birth.
7. What is the meaning of the river's name?
(b) Pure, clean-the-soul.
(d) Cure, bring-back-to-life.
8. What livestock are the boys in charge of?
9. How many wives does Chege have?
10. At the end of Chapter Two, what event does Chege remind Waiyaki will take place the following day?
(a) A celebration of the harvest.
(b) His second birth ceremony.
(c) His sister's wedding.
(d) The naming ceremony for his sister's first son.
11. What is the name of the Creator who made the first people of the tribe?
12. What do the white men see in Waiyaki?
(a) A brilliant future military leader.
(b) A troublesome boy.
(c) A way to make peace with the native people.
(d) A possible leader of the Christian church.
13. Who were Demi na Mathathi?
(a) Giants of the tribe.
(b) Minor gods.
(c) Ancient warriors.
(d) The priests who performed sacred rites.
14. To whom are sacrifices made before the initiation season?
(a) Demi na Mathathi.
(c) Kikuyu and Mumbi.
(d) The ancient ancestors.
15. What does Waiyaki think his father is blessing as they walk during Chapter Four?
(a) Their meal.
(b) The earth.
(c) The river.
(d) His son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these behaviors is not one condemned by Joshua?
2. What year is Waiyaki in at the Siriana school?
3. On what do Nyambura and Muthoni sit while talking at the river?
4. What did the ancient seer call white men?
5. Who sometimes helps Joshua with the Sunday service?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)