|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many daughters were born to the father and mother of the tribe?
2. Where did Waiyaki sit for the ceremony?
(a) Behind his father.
(b) Alone by the river.
(c) In front of the tribe's elders.
(d) Between his mother's thighs.
3. Who were Gikuyu and Mumbi?
(a) The first people to settle on the Kameno ridge.
(b) Great warriors of the tribe.
(c) Waiyaki's grandparents.
(d) The first people of the tribe.
4. For what sin of his wife's does Joshua beg God's forgiveness?
(a) Her lack of authority with the people of Makuyu.
(b) Her disobedience.
(c) Her failure to give birth to a son.
(d) Her circumcision.
5. Where has Muthoni gone?
(a) To her grandmother's.
(b) To her aunt's.
(c) To Nairobi.
(d) To Siriana.
6. What gave Waiyaki a scar above his left eye?
(a) A wild boar.
(b) A hyena.
(c) A lion.
(d) A wild goat.
7. Who was the ancient seer from Kameno?
(a) Mugo wa Kibiro.
8. What of Muthoni's seems to hold Waiyaki still in the dance circle?
(a) Her hands.
(b) Her laughter.
(c) Her smile.
(d) Her eyes.
9. Which of these is not a god worshiped by the Kikuyu?
(d) Mugo wa Kibiro.
10. Who sometimes helps Joshua with the Sunday service?
11. From where did the ancient seer whisper to his son that salvation would come?
(a) White man.
(b) Across the ocean.
(d) The hills.
12. Which of these behaviors is not one condemned by Joshua?
(b) Singing songs of praise.
(c) Drinking alcohol.
(d) Traditional dances.
13. What does Waiyaki think his father is blessing as they walk during Chapter Four?
(a) His son.
(b) The earth.
(c) Their meal.
(d) The river.
14. How many wives does Chege have?
15. On what night are the social codes relaxed between men and women?
(a) The night after the initiation ceremonies.
(b) The eve of the initiation cermonies.
(c) The harvest celebration.
(d) The celebration of a son's birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is Waiyaki in at the Siriana school?
2. What weapon do the two boys use to fight one another?
3. In the old saying quoted near the end of Chapter One, what is not for strangers?
4. What does Joshua blame for the ills of the land?
5. What do the white men see in Waiyaki?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)