|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is not something Muthoni tells Waiyaki she wants?
(a) For her art to be seen around the world.
(b) To be a woman made beautiful in the tribe.
(c) Children to play around the hearth.
(d) A husband for her bed.
2. Where has Muthoni gone?
(a) To her grandmother's.
(b) To Nairobi.
(c) To Siriana.
(d) To her aunt's.
3. What do the majority of the houses in the village look like?
(a) Mud-brick, square structures.
(b) Round, thatched huts.
(c) Rectangular buildings with tin roofs.
(d) Log cabins.
4. What does Joshua call himself after converting to Christianity?
(a) A child of God.
(b) Pure and clean.
(c) A reborn man.
(d) A new creature.
5. To what relative does Nyambura suggest Muthoni go to for help?
(a) An aunt.
(b) An uncle.
(c) Their grandfather.
(d) Their mother.
6. Whom is Waiyaki shocked to see at the initiation preparations?
7. Who is sent out to find Muthoni?
8. What does Nyambura see as a bad omen?
(a) Muthoni's water barrel rolling down the hill.
(b) Clouds covering the sun.
(c) An insect landing on Muthoni's hand.
(d) An antelope crossing their path.
9. What is the name of the mountain Waiyaki and Chege can see in the distance at the end of Chapter Four?
10. What kind of tree grows near the edge of the sacred hill?
11. What did the ancient seer call white men?
(a) "People with clothes like flowers."
(b) "People with milk-skin."
(c) "People from the other world."
(d) "People with clothes like butterflies."
12. What killed Chege's first two wives?
(c) A flood.
13. What does Muthoni want to do in Chapter Six?
(a) Join the church.
(b) See the world outside of Kikuyu.
(c) Marry a white man.
(d) Be circumcised.
14. Who reveals Muthoni's secret?
15. At the end of Chapter Two, what event does Chege remind Waiyaki will take place the following day?
(a) A celebration of the harvest.
(b) The naming ceremony for his sister's first son.
(c) His sister's wedding.
(d) His second birth ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughters were born to the father and mother of the tribe?
2. Who was the great witch whose magic won him great fame?
3. How many sons does Chege have?
4. What betrays Chege's age to Waiyaki?
5. What is the meaning of "tiitheru"?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)