|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the relative Muthoni thinks will help her live?
(b) Kameno ridge.
(c) In their village.
2. In the old saying quoted near the end of Chapter One, what is not for strangers?
(a) Fruit from the sacred grove.
(b) The coming-of-age ceremonies.
(c) Sharing the tribe's disagreements.
(d) The oilskin of the house.
3. What animal was slaughtered for the ceremony?
(a) A goat.
(b) A pig.
(c) A cow.
(d) A sheep.
4. Which of these behaviors is not one condemned by Joshua?
(a) Traditional dances.
(b) Singing songs of praise.
(c) Drinking alcohol.
5. What kind of animal does Waiyaki sit next to in the thingira at the beginning of Chapter Four?
(a) A horse.
(b) A dog.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A cow.
6. Who is sent out to find Muthoni?
7. What reaction did Waiyaki have that was unusual?
(a) He fell asleep.
(b) He laughed.
(c) He passed out.
(d) He cried.
8. What does "tene na tene" mean?
(a) "Across the river."
(b) "World without end."
(c) "Fight the fear."
(d) "Under the tree."
9. What does Nyambura see as a bad omen?
(a) Muthoni's water barrel rolling down the hill.
(b) An insect landing on Muthoni's hand.
(c) An antelope crossing their path.
(d) Clouds covering the sun.
10. At the end of Chapter Two, what event does Chege remind Waiyaki will take place the following day?
(a) The naming ceremony for his sister's first son.
(b) His sister's wedding.
(c) His second birth ceremony.
(d) A celebration of the harvest.
11. From whom does Chege tell Waiyaki that he is descended?
(c) Mugo wa Kibiro.
12. What is the thingira?
(a) The man's hut.
(b) The women's hut.
(c) The medicine man.
(d) The community well.
13. How many sons does Chege have?
14. Whom is Waiyaki shocked to see at the initiation preparations?
15. What is the meaning of the river's name?
(b) Cure, bring-back-to-life.
(c) Pure, clean-the-soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sometimes helps Joshua with the Sunday service?
2. Who reveals Muthoni's secret?
3. Who is sent to bring Muthoni back?
4. What killed Chege's first two wives?
5. What rumor circulates about Joshua?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)