|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through his day job, what does Ned learn about Skinny?
2. According to Tria, how will her mother react when she sees Ned leave in the morning?
3. Years later, what does Mrs. Ward do with the book that Ned edits?
4. Why do Sam and Ned break into the Night Owl?
5. What does Ned first see when he walks in the Big Bend Hunting Lodge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of college student is Ned?
2. After their celebratory dinner, what is clear about Jenny's relationship with F. William Peterson?
3. What does Ned learn about himself concerning job prospects?
4. Why does Ned not answer his phone at college?
5. Why does Sam continue to believe Jack Ward is lucky?
6. What is the meaning behind Sam and Ned instantly recognizing each other at The Night Owl?
7. What is the importance of Drew being Jack Ward's son?
8. What job is very lucrative for Ned?
9. What happens with Drew after Jack Ward's funeral?
10. Why does Jenny become so angry when Eileen calls her house to find Ned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Ned's relationship with his boyhood friends. How did these friendships shape him?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jenny abuse drugs and situations to feed her addictive personality?
Essay Topic 3
What role does gambling play in the novel? Look at characters who are addicted to gambling and how gambling influences their lives.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)