1. What is the setting of the novel's first chapter?
(a) The end of the Vietnam War.
(b) The end of World War II.
(c) The start of World War II.
(d) Present day America.
2. What does Sam want to do when he returns home to his wife?
(a) Find a steady job.
(b) Settle down with a family.
(c) Attend church.
(d) Celebrate life.
3. When do Jenny and Sam separate?
(a) Shortly before Ned is born.
(b) When Ned is in first grade.
(c) Ned's first birthday.
(d) The day Ned is born.
4. What day does Jenny file for divorce?
(a) The day Sam slaps her for the first time.
(b) The day she brings Ned home from the hospital.
(c) The day she discovers Sam's gambling addiction.
(d) The day after Ned's grandfather's funeral.
5. How does Sam delay the divorce?
(a) Sam beats up her lawyer.
(b) Sam manipulates the court sytem.
(c) Sam leaves town.
(d) Sam goes to jail.
This section contains 4,693 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)