|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Maria Longworth Nichols Storer born?
2. How did Theodore Roosevelt’s wife Edith feel about his potential nomination of Vice President?
3. On what date did Theodore Roosevelt join the march for San Juan Hill in Cuba during the Spanish-American War?
4. On what date was Theodore Roosevelt nominated as the Republican candidate for New York Governor?
5. Who did William McKinley run against in the 1900 Presidential election?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the USS Maine travel to Cuba? Who supported this move, according to the author in Chapter 23, “The Lieutenant Colonel”?
2. Who was the state head of the Republican Party during the time of Roosevelt’s appointment as New York City Police Commissioner? How is this individual described in Chapter 20, “The Snake in the Grass”?
3. From what literary author does the title of Chapter 18, “The Universe Spinner” relate?
4. How did Theodore Roosevelt handle his opposition once he won the gubernatorial elections in New York, according to the author in Chapter 27, “The Boy Governor”?
5. How are “Civil Service” and the “spoils system” defined? How did they concern Theodore Roosevelt in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
6. How did Theodore Roosevelt go about tackling civil service reform, according to the author in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
7. How is the New York Police Commission described prior to Roosevelt’s appointment in Chapter 19, “The Biggest Man in New York”?
8. How was the New York Police Commission structured during Roosevelt’s tenure there? What conflicts did Roosevelt face as Commissioner?
9. How would you characterize the ideals and policies of Theodore Roosevelt, based on your reading of The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt?
10. Once he’d accepted the nomination for Vice President, how did Theodore Roosevelt go about campaigning in the 1900 election in Chapter 28, “The Man of Destiny”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Theodore Roosevelt’s relationships with his mother, father, and siblings during his childhood. How did Theodore Senior and Martha Bulloch Roosevelt differ in their personalities and relationships with their children? What were the greatest influences on young Theodore at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Theodore Roosevelt as an author. How many biographies did Roosevelt pen? How many scientific/nature books were written by him? What were major themes in his works? How did critics respond to the works of Theodore Roosevelt?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Theodore Roosevelt’s fascination with wildlife and nature during his childhood. How did Roosevelt learn the craft of taxidermy? How did his skills as a hunter and taxidermist influence his life, career, and later, his policies as a political figure?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)