|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date was Theodore Roosevelt sworn in as Vice President of the United States?
2. What manager of McKinley’s and Republican Senator opposed Theodore Roosevelt running as Vice President alongside McKinley in the 1900 election?
3. In Chapter 17, “The Dear Old Beloved Brother” the author describes one final act of President Harrison, which was what?
4. Theodore Roosevelt first used the phrase “speak softly and carry a big stick” when giving a speech on what date?
5. On what date did Theodore Roosevelt marry Edith Carow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the USS Maine travel to Cuba? Who supported this move, according to the author in Chapter 23, “The Lieutenant Colonel”?
2. Once he’d accepted the nomination for Vice President, how did Theodore Roosevelt go about campaigning in the 1900 election in Chapter 28, “The Man of Destiny”?
3. How did Theodore Roosevelt go about tackling civil service reform, according to the author in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
4. How did Theodore Roosevelt handle his opposition once he won the gubernatorial elections in New York, according to the author in Chapter 27, “The Boy Governor”?
5. What event surrounding the USS Maine contributed to the outbreak of war between the U.S. and Spain, according to the author in Chapter 23, “The Lieutenant Colonel”?
6. Who opposed Theodore Roosevelt’s nomination for Governor of New York, according to the author in Chapter 26, “The Most Famous Man in America”? Why?
7. Who was Roosevelt’s primary adversary during his appointment as Police Commissioner? How is their conflict described in Chapter 20, “The Snake in the Grass”?
8. How would you characterize the ideals and policies of Theodore Roosevelt, based on your reading of The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt?
9. Who was the state head of the Republican Party during the time of Roosevelt’s appointment as New York City Police Commissioner? How is this individual described in Chapter 20, “The Snake in the Grass”?
10. How did Theodore Roosevelt go about helping his brother Elliott in Chapter 17, “The Dear Old Beloved Brother”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the economic, cultural, technological, and societal world of 1858. What was the national and international political atmosphere like at this time? What technological advances had influenced society? Who was U.S. President?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Roosevelt’s studies at the newly founded Columbia School of Law, his attendance at meetings of the Twenty-first District Republican Association, Joe Murray, and Roosevelt’s entrance into the political world. Why did Joe Murray work to convince Roosevelt to enter the political world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the development of the Maltese Cross Ranch in 1892. Whom did Roosevelt invite west to manage the ranch? How did these individuals feel about its prospects? How much money did Roosevelt invest in the development of the ranch?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)