|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was The Naval War of 1812 originally published?
2. On what date did Theodore Roosevelt marry Edith Carow?
3. Who did William McKinley run against in the 1900 Presidential election?
4. When was Maria Longworth Nichols Storer born?
5. On what date did Theodore Roosevelt’s brother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the New York Police Commission structured during Roosevelt’s tenure there? What conflicts did Roosevelt face as Commissioner?
2. Who won the Presidential election in 1896? How was Theodore Roosevelt affected, according to the author in Chapter 21, “The Glorious Retreat”?
3. How are “Civil Service” and the “spoils system” defined? How did they concern Theodore Roosevelt in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
4. As Assistant Secretary to the Navy, how did Theodore Roosevelt respond to the threat of war with Spain in Chapter 22, “The Hot Weather Secretary”?
5. How did Theodore Roosevelt feel about being nominated for Vice President of the United States, according to the author in Chapter 28, “The Man of Destiny”?
6. Whose help did Theodore Roosevelt solicit to help him attain the position of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in Chapter 21, “The Glorious Retreat”?
7. Where did Theodore Roosevelt move once he received his appointment of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in Chapter 22, “The Hot Weather Secretary”? How did the Naval Secretary feel about the appointment?
8. How does the author describe the men of the Rough Riders in Chapter 24, “The Rough Rider”?
9. What major battle did Theodore Roosevelt participate in during the Spanish-American War? When did he return home in Chapter 25, “The Wolf Rising in the Heart”?
10. When and where was President McKinley shot? Why did Theodore Roosevelt travel on vacation at this time, according to the author in the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Theodore Roosevelt’s courtship with Edith Carow. How did Roosevelt first know Carow? What was their relationship like during Roosevelt’s first marriage to Alice? When did Roosevelt first begin courting Edith after his first wife’s death?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Theodore Roosevelt’s objectives upon appointment as Civil Service Commissioner. What were his main goals in this position? Why did Roosevelt choose to take the job despite its low salary? What reforms did Roosevelt try to enact?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Theodore Roosevelt’s fascination with wildlife and nature during his childhood. How did Roosevelt learn the craft of taxidermy? How did his skills as a hunter and taxidermist influence his life, career, and later, his policies as a political figure?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)