|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What manager of McKinley’s and Republican Senator opposed Theodore Roosevelt running as Vice President alongside McKinley in the 1900 election?
2. Maria Longworth Nichols Storer was the founder of what American ceramics company?
3. On what date was Theodore Roosevelt nominated as the Republican candidate for New York Governor?
4. One of the items for approval of Theodore Roosevelt as Governor of New York was a measure to return money to the neediest workers in the state by taxing rising industries. What was this bill called?
5. On May 5, 1898, Colonel Wood set up a recruiting table for the Rough Riders next to the bar at what establishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who won the Presidential election in 1896? How was Theodore Roosevelt affected, according to the author in Chapter 21, “The Glorious Retreat”?
2. How did Theodore Roosevelt go about helping his brother Elliott in Chapter 17, “The Dear Old Beloved Brother”?
3. How did Theodore Roosevelt feel about being nominated for Vice President of the United States, according to the author in Chapter 28, “The Man of Destiny”?
4. From what literary author does the title of Chapter 18, “The Universe Spinner” relate?
5. How does the author describe Theodore and Edith’s return to the U.S. after their wedding in Chapter 15, “The Literary Feller”?
6. Whose help did Theodore Roosevelt solicit to help him attain the position of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in Chapter 21, “The Glorious Retreat”?
7. How was the New York Police Commission structured during Roosevelt’s tenure there? What conflicts did Roosevelt face as Commissioner?
8. How was Theodore Roosevelt perceived in his role as Governor of New York, according to the author in Chapter 27, “The Boy Governor”?
9. How are “Civil Service” and the “spoils system” defined? How did they concern Theodore Roosevelt in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
10. How did Theodore Roosevelt handle his opposition once he won the gubernatorial elections in New York, according to the author in Chapter 27, “The Boy Governor”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the different perceptions of Theodore Roosevelt expressed in the book’s Prologue. What authors and public figures liked Theodore Roosevelt? Why? Who were his critics? What did they perceive about this larger than life politician?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting, people, and politics of the Dakota Territory in the 1880s. How big was the Dakota Territory? When was it eventually incorporated into states? What were the people like in this setting in the 1880s? How was law established and enforced? What were Roosevelt’s impressions of this region on his first visits here?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the birth of Alice Lee Roosevelt and the deaths of Alice and Mittie following the birth. How did the deaths of his wife and mother on the same day affect Theodore Roosevelt? Why do you think he never wrote much about Alice in his biographies and later life?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)