|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did Theodore Roosevelt publish in 1885 about his experiences in the Dakotas?
2. In 1886, Roosevelt ran as the Republican candidate for mayor of New York City, portraying himself as what persona?
3. Theodore Roosevelt began courting Edith Carow how long after the death of his first wife, according to the author in Chapter 12, “The Four-Eyed Maverick”?
4. In investigating corruption in the case of the Manhattan Elevated Railroad and the City of New York, Theodore Roosevelt’s findings demanded further investigation of what two individuals in 1881-1882?
5. While searching for the cattle thieves that he believed stole his boat, Theodore Roosevelt met and befriended what famous sheriff of Deadwood, South Dakota?
Short Essay Questions
1. What legislation was Roosevelt involved in during the 1883 session of the New York State Assembly?
2. Where did Theodore and Alice Lee Roosevelt live after their wedding? Where did Roosevelt continue his studies?
3. When and where was Theodore Roosevelt born? How is his infancy described in Chapter 1, “The Very Small Person”?
4. What book did Theodore Roosevelt travel west to work on in Chapter 13, “The Long Arm of the Law”?
5. How is Theodore Roosevelt’s term as assemblyman described in 1883 in Chapter 7, “The Fighting Cock”?
6. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt hire as a local guide in the Dakota Territory on his first trip there, according to the author in Chapter 8, “The Dude from New York”? Where did he stay?
7. How does the author describe the impressions that Theodore Roosevelt made on those around him in the Prologue of the biography?
8. What led Theodore Roosevelt to return to New York from the Dakotas in Chapter 12, “The Four-Eyed Maverick”?
9. What change did Roosevelt make to his studies in his junior year, and why?
10. Why did Theodore Roosevelt travel to the Dakotas, according to the author in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”? What did he do there in this trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the 1892 Presidential election and the candidates, their platforms, and their supporters. What policies did Blaine support? Why did Roosevelt choose this candidate to support for President? Who won this election?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Roosevelt’s political causes, successes, and failures upon his return to Albany following the deaths of Alice Lee and Mittie Roosevelt. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt support for the Republican candidate for President of the United States? What policies did this candidate support? Why did Roosevelt support him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Theodore Roosevelt’s role in the early politics of the Dakota Territory. In what ways did Roosevelt assist in developing the first elections and stockman’s associations? How important was Roosevelt’s role in the political development of this region?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)