|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote “The Saga of King Olaf”?
2. Who became the primary caretaker of Theodore Roosevelt’s daughter Alice following the death of his first wife?
3. Theodore Roosevelt began courting Edith Carow how long after the death of his first wife, according to the author in Chapter 12, “The Four-Eyed Maverick”?
4. What was the name of the horse that Theodore Roosevelt had sent to Cambridge in order to pursue his courtship of Alice Lee?
5. What was the name of the second nature book that Theodore Roosevelt published while he was still enrolled in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Theodore Roosevelt’s first trip to the Dakotas begin, according to the author in Chapter 8, “The Dude from New York”? How is this setting described?
2. Who took custody of Theodore Roosevelt’s infant daughter after the death of his wife Alice Lee Roosevelt? Where did his daughter live?
3. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt hire as a local guide in the Dakota Territory on his first trip there, according to the author in Chapter 8, “The Dude from New York”? Where did he stay?
4. What led Theodore Roosevelt to campaign in the New York Mayoral elections, according to the author in Chapter 14, “The Next Mayor of New York”?
5. What position did Theodore Roosevelt serve as assemblyman after the position of Speaker was finally decided in Chapter 6, “The Cyclone Assemblyman”?
6. What scenario does the author present surrounding Theodore Roosevelt in the Prologue of the biography? What setting is described?
7. How is Theodore Roosevelt’s term as assemblyman described in 1883 in Chapter 7, “The Fighting Cock”?
8. Why did Theodore Roosevelt travel to the Dakotas, according to the author in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”? What did he do there in this trip?
9. Where did the Roosevelt family travel in the fall of 1870? How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s impressions of these locales in Chapter 2, “The Mind, but Not the Body”?
10. Who did Theodore Roosevelt make campaign speeches for when he returned East from the Dakotas in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the candidates, platforms, and debates of the 1886 New York City Mayoral election. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt run against? What were his competitors like? What ultimately appeared to be Roosevelt’s downfall in the election?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Roosevelt’s political causes, successes, and failures upon his return to Albany following the deaths of Alice Lee and Mittie Roosevelt. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt support for the Republican candidate for President of the United States? What policies did this candidate support? Why did Roosevelt support him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Roosevelt’s studies at the newly founded Columbia School of Law, his attendance at meetings of the Twenty-first District Republican Association, Joe Murray, and Roosevelt’s entrance into the political world. Why did Joe Murray work to convince Roosevelt to enter the political world?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)