|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1886, Roosevelt ran as the Republican candidate for mayor of New York City, portraying himself as what persona?
2. With what family did Theodore Roosevelt stay in Dresden when his family visited Europe, according to the author in Chapter 2, “The Mind, but Not the Body”?
3. Who did Theodore Roosevelt visit in Boston after buying Elk Horn ranch in the Dakotas, according to the author in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”?
4. What was Grover Cleveland’s position when he served a summons to speak with Theodore Roosevelt in Albany in 1883?
5. In 1883-1884, the topic of the New York Elevated railroad arose and Roosevelt supported a measure to lower the fare from 10 cents to how much?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Theodore Roosevelt’s first trip to the Dakotas begin, according to the author in Chapter 8, “The Dude from New York”? How is this setting described?
2. How was Theodore Roosevelt’s involvement in politics in the Dakotas described in Chapter 13, “The Long Arm of the Law”?
3. Where did Theodore and Alice Lee Roosevelt live after their wedding? Where did Roosevelt continue his studies?
4. What scenario does the author present surrounding Theodore Roosevelt in the Prologue of the biography? What setting is described?
5. How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s parents in Chapter 1, “The Very Small Person”?
6. How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s courtship with Alice Lee in Chapter 4, “The Swell in the Dog-Cart”?
7. When and where was Theodore Roosevelt born? How is his infancy described in Chapter 1, “The Very Small Person”?
8. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt encounter in jail when he returned to the Dakotas in Chapter 12, “The Four-Eyed Maverick”? Why?
9. Where did Theodore Roosevelt travel to marry Edith Carow? Whom did he meet on this trip, according to the author in Chapter 14, “The Next Mayor of New York”?
10. Who did Theodore Roosevelt make campaign speeches for when he returned East from the Dakotas in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Roosevelt’s political causes, successes, and failures upon his return to Albany following the deaths of Alice Lee and Mittie Roosevelt. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt support for the Republican candidate for President of the United States? What policies did this candidate support? Why did Roosevelt support him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the candidates, platforms, and debates of the 1886 New York City Mayoral election. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt run against? What were his competitors like? What ultimately appeared to be Roosevelt’s downfall in the election?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Theodore Roosevelt’s fascination with wildlife and nature during his childhood. How did Roosevelt learn the craft of taxidermy? How did his skills as a hunter and taxidermist influence his life, career, and later, his policies as a political figure?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)