|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What admiral of the United States Navy was best known for his victory at Manila Bay during the Spanish-American War?
(a) Seth Bullock.
(b) Thomas Hart Benton.
(c) George Edmunds.
(d) George Dewey.
2. Where did the Rough Riders receive their horses and equipment for training and preparation during the Spanish-American War?
(a) Fort Bentonworth’s Quartermaster Depot.
(b) Fort Little Rock Quartermaster Depot.
(c) Fort Pensacola Quartermaster Depot.
(d) Fort Sam Houston’s Quartermaster Depot.
3. On what date did President McKinley die of gangrene from his bullet wounds?
(a) September 6, 1901.
(b) September 2, 1901.
(c) July 3, 1901.
(d) September 14, 1901.
4. What hunter-conservationist organization did Theodore Roosevelt found in 1887?
(a) The Boone and Crockett Club.
(b) The Audubon Society.
(c) The Western Frontier Society.
(d) The National Commission for Ecology.
5. In his role as New York City Police Commissioner, Theodore Roosevelt enlisted the aid of reporters from what publication?
(a) The New York Globe.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) The New York Post.
(d) The New York Times.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author estimates Theodore Roosevelt’s losses at Elk Horn ranch to be what percentage in Chapter 15, “The Literary Feller”?
2. What was the name of William McKinley’s campaign manager that Theodore Roosevelt spoke with in the hopes of obtaining a position, according to the author in Chapter 21, “The Glorious Retreat”?
3. How many volumes comprised The Winning of the West by Theodore Roosevelt?
4. On what date was Theodore Roosevelt nominated as the Republican candidate for New York Governor?
5. Which of the New York Police Commissioners does the phrase “snake in the grass” refer to in Chapter 20, “The Snake in the Grass”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the state head of the Republican Party during the time of Roosevelt’s appointment as New York City Police Commissioner? How is this individual described in Chapter 20, “The Snake in the Grass”?
2. How does the author describe the men of the Rough Riders in Chapter 24, “The Rough Rider”?
3. How was the New York Police Commission structured during Roosevelt’s tenure there? What conflicts did Roosevelt face as Commissioner?
4. What scene does the author describe in the opening of Chapter 18, “The Universe Spinner”? What appearance did Theodore Roosevelt make in this setting?
5. How did Theodore Roosevelt go about tackling civil service reform, according to the author in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
6. What problems arose concerning Elliott Roosevelt in Chapter 17, “The Dear Old Beloved Brother”?
7. Whose help did Theodore Roosevelt solicit to help him attain the position of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in Chapter 21, “The Glorious Retreat”?
8. How would you characterize the ideals and policies of Theodore Roosevelt, based on your reading of The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt?
9. How does the author describe Theodore and Edith’s return to the U.S. after their wedding in Chapter 15, “The Literary Feller”?
10. Who was Roosevelt’s primary adversary during his appointment as Police Commissioner? How is their conflict described in Chapter 20, “The Snake in the Grass”?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)