|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Spain declared war on the U.S. over Cuba on what date?
(a) April 19, 1898.
(b) April 23, 1898.
(c) April 25, 1898.
(d) February 15, 1898.
2. For how many years did Theodore Roosevelt hold the position of New York City Police Commissioner?
3. Where did Roosevelt and the Rough Riders land in Cuba during the Spanish-American War?
(a) Pina del Rio.
(c) Puerto Padre.
4. Theodore Roosevelt was appointed to the post of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in what year?
5. Thomas Collier Platt served as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives during what years?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was The Naval War of 1812 originally published?
2. Where was President McKinley attending an exhibition when he was shot?
3. On what date was Theodore Roosevelt sworn in as Vice President of the United States?
4. Maria Longworth Nichols Storer was the founder of what American ceramics company?
5. By what nickname was Thomas Collier Platt known?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize the ideals and policies of Theodore Roosevelt, based on your reading of The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt?
2. How does the author describe Theodore and Edith’s return to the U.S. after their wedding in Chapter 15, “The Literary Feller”?
3. Who was Roosevelt’s primary adversary during his appointment as Police Commissioner? How is their conflict described in Chapter 20, “The Snake in the Grass”?
4. Whose help did Theodore Roosevelt solicit to help him attain the position of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in Chapter 21, “The Glorious Retreat”?
5. What major hurdle did Theodore Roosevelt overcome during his nomination as the Republican candidate for New York Governor in Chapter 26, “The Most Famous Man in America”? How was it overcome?
6. Where did Theodore Roosevelt move once he received his appointment of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in Chapter 22, “The Hot Weather Secretary”? How did the Naval Secretary feel about the appointment?
7. When and where was President McKinley shot? Why did Theodore Roosevelt travel on vacation at this time, according to the author in the Epilogue?
8. What scene does the author describe in the opening of Chapter 18, “The Universe Spinner”? What appearance did Theodore Roosevelt make in this setting?
9. How did Theodore Roosevelt go about tackling civil service reform, according to the author in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
10. How did Theodore Roosevelt go about helping his brother Elliott in Chapter 17, “The Dear Old Beloved Brother”?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)