|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date did Theodore Roosevelt join the march for San Juan Hill in Cuba during the Spanish-American War?
(a) February 15, 1898.
(b) August 8, 1898.
(c) July 1, 1898.
(d) August 14, 1894.
2. Roosevelt and his men in the Rough Riders departed Tampa for Cuba on what date?
(a) June 13, 1898.
(b) February 15, 1898.
(c) October 27, 1858.
(d) August 14, 1894.
3. According to the author in Chapter 27, “The Boy Governor,” Theodore Roosevelt consulted with William McKinley regarding the situation where?
(a) North Korea.
(c) The Philippines.
4. On what date did Anna Hall Roosevelt die?
(a) December 2, 1886.
(b) September 13, 1887.
(c) February 12, 1884.
(d) December 7, 1892.
5. What author befriended Theodore Roosevelt and later wrote of him that he seemed to have the energy to keep the universe spinning, according to the author in Chapter 18, “The Universe Spinner”?
(a) Rudyard Kipling.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) James Whitney.
(d) Mark Twain.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what years did Thomas Collier Platt serve as a U.S. Senator?
2. On what date was Theodore Roosevelt sworn in as Vice President of the United States?
3. The author estimates Theodore Roosevelt’s losses at Elk Horn ranch to be what percentage in Chapter 15, “The Literary Feller”?
4. Within the Republican Party, who feared that nominating Roosevelt for New York Governor paved the way for him as future President, according to the author in Chapter 26, “The Most Famous Man in America”?
5. Theodore Roosevelt appeared in a minor role at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893 on behalf of what organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s time in Florida in Chapter 24, “The Rough Rider”? When did Theodore Roosevelt deploy for Cuba?
2. Where did Theodore Roosevelt move once he received his appointment of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in Chapter 22, “The Hot Weather Secretary”? How did the Naval Secretary feel about the appointment?
3. Who opposed Theodore Roosevelt’s nomination for Governor of New York, according to the author in Chapter 26, “The Most Famous Man in America”? Why?
4. How did Theodore Roosevelt go about helping his brother Elliott in Chapter 17, “The Dear Old Beloved Brother”?
5. Who won the Presidential election in 1896? How was Theodore Roosevelt affected, according to the author in Chapter 21, “The Glorious Retreat”?
6. How did Theodore Roosevelt go about tackling civil service reform, according to the author in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
7. Where did Theodore and Edith Roosevelt spend the summer after their marriage, according to the author in Chapter 15, “The Literary Feller”?
8. Why did the USS Maine travel to Cuba? Who supported this move, according to the author in Chapter 23, “The Lieutenant Colonel”?
9. How does the author describe Theodore and Edith’s return to the U.S. after their wedding in Chapter 15, “The Literary Feller”?
10. From what literary author does the title of Chapter 18, “The Universe Spinner” relate?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)