|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did William McKinley run against in the 1900 Presidential election?
(a) Seth Bullock.
(b) Cecil Arthur Spring-Rice.
(c) Benjamin Harrison.
(d) William Jennings Bryan.
2. What was the name of William McKinley’s campaign manager that Theodore Roosevelt spoke with in the hopes of obtaining a position, according to the author in Chapter 21, “The Glorious Retreat”?
(a) Mark Hanna.
(b) James G. Blaine.
(c) Titus Sheard.
(d) Joe Ferris.
3. How did Theodore Roosevelt’s wife Edith feel about his potential nomination of Vice President?
(a) She was overwhelmingly happy.
(b) She opposed it.
(c) She was indifferent.
(d) She supported it.
4. On what date did Theodore Roosevelt marry Edith Carow?
(a) December 2, 1886.
(b) February 12, 1884.
(c) October 27, 1858.
(d) October 28, 1881.
5. On what date did Theodore Roosevelt’s brother die?
(a) December 7, 1892.
(b) September 13, 1887.
(c) December 2, 1886.
(d) August 14, 1894.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Maria Longworth Nichols Storer from?
2. What author befriended Theodore Roosevelt and later wrote of him that he seemed to have the energy to keep the universe spinning, according to the author in Chapter 18, “The Universe Spinner”?
3. On May 5, 1898, Colonel Wood set up a recruiting table for the Rough Riders next to the bar at what establishment?
4. The author estimates Theodore Roosevelt’s losses at Elk Horn ranch to be what percentage in Chapter 15, “The Literary Feller”?
5. Who was the Secretary of the Navy when Theodore Roosevelt was appointed Assistant Secretary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once he’d accepted the nomination for Vice President, how did Theodore Roosevelt go about campaigning in the 1900 election in Chapter 28, “The Man of Destiny”?
2. How was the New York Police Commission structured during Roosevelt’s tenure there? What conflicts did Roosevelt face as Commissioner?
3. Where did Theodore Roosevelt move once he received his appointment of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in Chapter 22, “The Hot Weather Secretary”? How did the Naval Secretary feel about the appointment?
4. How did Theodore Roosevelt go about tackling civil service reform, according to the author in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
5. What scene does the author describe in the opening of Chapter 18, “The Universe Spinner”? What appearance did Theodore Roosevelt make in this setting?
6. How are “Civil Service” and the “spoils system” defined? How did they concern Theodore Roosevelt in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
7. Whose help did Theodore Roosevelt solicit to help him attain the position of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in Chapter 21, “The Glorious Retreat”?
8. Who was Roosevelt’s primary adversary during his appointment as Police Commissioner? How is their conflict described in Chapter 20, “The Snake in the Grass”?
9. What major battle did Theodore Roosevelt participate in during the Spanish-American War? When did he return home in Chapter 25, “The Wolf Rising in the Heart”?
10. What problems arose concerning Elliott Roosevelt in Chapter 17, “The Dear Old Beloved Brother”?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)