|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was elected as Speaker in the New York Assembly in 1881 and 1882?
(a) George Edmunds.
(b) Charles Patterson.
(c) Benjamin Harrison.
(d) Isaac Hunt.
2. What did Theodore Roosevelt’s mother die of on the same day that his wife died?
(a) Typhoid fever.
(b) Bright’s disease.
(c) Lung cancer.
(d) A brain aneurysm.
3. When was Henry George born?
4. When Theodore Roosevelt first arrived in Albany as an assemblyman, he was compared by his fellow assemblyman to what contemporary writer of the time?
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Rudyard Kipling.
(d) Mark Twain.
5. When was Theodore Roosevelt’s daughter Alice Lee Roosevelt born?
(a) October 27, 1858.
(b) February 12, 1884.
(c) October 28, 1881.
(d) January 14, 1883.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Theodore Roosevelt enroll to study law after his first marriage?
2. What refers to a levy on the unimproved value of land only?
3. How long after the death of his wife and mother did Theodore Roosevelt return to Albany?
4. When Theodore Roosevelt returned to Medora in August of 1885, he found who in jail for murder?
5. Where did Theodore and Alice Roosevelt retreat for the month of July as construction continued on Roosevelt’s mansion at Oyster Bay, according to the author in Chapter 7, “The Fighting Cock”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Theodore Roosevelt travel to marry Edith Carow? Whom did he meet on this trip, according to the author in Chapter 14, “The Next Mayor of New York”?
2. Who did Theodore Roosevelt make campaign speeches for when he returned East from the Dakotas in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”?
3. How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s courtship with Alice Lee in Chapter 4, “The Swell in the Dog-Cart”?
4. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt hire as a local guide in the Dakota Territory on his first trip there, according to the author in Chapter 8, “The Dude from New York”? Where did he stay?
5. How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s parents in Chapter 1, “The Very Small Person”?
6. Why did Theodore Roosevelt travel to the Dakotas, according to the author in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”? What did he do there in this trip?
7. Who did Theodore Roosevelt support in the 1884 Presidential election? Who won the nomination?
8. What led Theodore Roosevelt to return to New York from the Dakotas in Chapter 12, “The Four-Eyed Maverick”?
9. Where did Theodore Roosevelt live during his studies at Harvard? How is this setting described in Chapter 3, “The Man with the Morning in His Face”?
10. What were Theodore Roosevelt’s principle objectives as assemblyman during his third term, according to the author in Chapter 9, “The Honorable Gentleman”?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)