|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While at the 1884 Republican Convention, Theodore Roosevelt learned that who planned to veto several of his bills, according to the author in Chapter 10, “The Delegate-at-Large”?
(a) George Edmunds.
(b) Titus Sheard.
(c) Grover Cleveland.
(d) James G. Blaine.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 9, “The Honorable Gentleman,” the author describes Theodore Roosevelt returning to Albany to serve his what term as assemblyman?
(a) His third term.
(b) His second term.
(c) His fifth term.
(d) His fourth term.
3. What author is mentioned in the Prologue as having remarked negatively about President Theodore Roosevelt’s methodologies and called him “insane”?
(a) Edith Wharton.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Rudyard Kipling.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
4. Who won the election for the Mayor of New York in 1886?
(a) Abram Hewitt.
(b) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(c) Cecil Arthur Spring-Rice.
(d) George Edmunds.
5. Theodore Roosevelt’s ancestry has been described as half Irish and half what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt, Senior received an appointment as Collector of Customs to the Port of New York by what U.S. President?
2. The author describes an incident in Liverpool when Theodore Roosevelt was turned down by a vendor when he went to purchase what substance in Chapter 2, “The Mind, but Not the Body”?
3. What friends from Maine did Theodore Roosevelt hire to manage his new ranch Elk Horn in the Dakotas?
4. What did Theodore Roosevelt’s mother die of on the same day that his wife died?
5. When was Henry George born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What position did Theodore Roosevelt serve as assemblyman after the position of Speaker was finally decided in Chapter 6, “The Cyclone Assemblyman”?
2. How does the author describe the impressions that Theodore Roosevelt made on those around him in the Prologue of the biography?
3. How was Theodore Roosevelt’s involvement in politics in the Dakotas described in Chapter 13, “The Long Arm of the Law”?
4. Where did the Roosevelt family travel in the fall of 1870? How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s impressions of these locales in Chapter 2, “The Mind, but Not the Body”?
5. What led Theodore Roosevelt to return to New York from the Dakotas in Chapter 12, “The Four-Eyed Maverick”?
6. What change did Roosevelt make to his studies in his junior year, and why?
7. How is Theodore Roosevelt’s term as assemblyman described in 1883 in Chapter 7, “The Fighting Cock”?
8. Why did Theodore Roosevelt travel to the Dakotas, according to the author in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”? What did he do there in this trip?
9. Who did Theodore Roosevelt make campaign speeches for when he returned East from the Dakotas in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”?
10. What book did Theodore Roosevelt travel west to work on in Chapter 13, “The Long Arm of the Law”?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)