|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Theodore Roosevelt first arrived in Albany as an assemblyman, he was compared by his fellow assemblyman to what contemporary writer of the time?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Rudyard Kipling.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 9, “The Honorable Gentleman,” the author describes Theodore Roosevelt returning to Albany to serve his what term as assemblyman?
(a) His third term.
(b) His second term.
(c) His fourth term.
(d) His fifth term.
3. In what year did Theodore Roosevelt graduate magna cum laude from college?
4. In Chapter 9, “The Honorable Gentleman,” the author states that Theodore Roosevelt succeeded in pushing three pieces of legislations through, including a reform of what?
(a) New York City’s transportation system.
(b) New York City’s ports.
(c) New York City's aldermen.
(d) New York City’s policemen.
5. Who won the election for the Mayor of New York in 1886?
(a) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(b) Cecil Arthur Spring-Rice.
(c) George Edmunds.
(d) Abram Hewitt.
Short Answer Questions
1. On October 28, 1881, Theodore Roosevelt gained a nomination for state senate at what age?
2. Theodore Roosevelt married Alice Lee on his birthday. How old did he turn on that day?
3. What friends from Maine did Theodore Roosevelt hire to manage his new ranch Elk Horn in the Dakotas?
4. Where did Theodore Roosevelt and Alice Lee Roosevelt settle in New York after their brief stay at the Roosevelts’ estate on Long Island after their marriage?
5. Who did Theodore Roosevelt hire as a local guide on his first trip to the Dakota Territory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s parents in Chapter 1, “The Very Small Person”?
2. How does the author describe the impressions that Theodore Roosevelt made on those around him in the Prologue of the biography?
3. How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s courtship with Alice Lee in Chapter 4, “The Swell in the Dog-Cart”?
4. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt encounter in jail when he returned to the Dakotas in Chapter 12, “The Four-Eyed Maverick”? Why?
5. What is revealed in the journal writings of Theodore Roosevelt in 1870, as seen in Chapter 2, “The Mind, but Not the Body”? What were his interests?
6. Whom did Theodore Roosevelt hire as a local guide in the Dakota Territory on his first trip there, according to the author in Chapter 8, “The Dude from New York”? Where did he stay?
7. How is Theodore Roosevelt’s term as assemblyman described in 1883 in Chapter 7, “The Fighting Cock”?
8. How was the wedding of Theodore Roosevelt and Alice Lee described in Chapter 5, “The Political Hack”? Where did they stay after the wedding?
9. Where did Theodore Roosevelt live during his studies at Harvard? How is this setting described in Chapter 3, “The Man with the Morning in His Face”?
10. How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s impressions of Albany after arriving as an assemblyman in Chapter 6, “The Cyclone Assemblyman”?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)