|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the horse that Theodore Roosevelt had sent to Cambridge in order to pursue his courtship of Alice Lee?
(a) Black Beauty.
(c) Golden Rod.
2. How long after the death of his wife and mother did Theodore Roosevelt return to Albany?
(a) Two months later.
(b) One year later.
(c) Less than a week later.
(d) Three months later.
3. Who were the cattle thieves suspected of stealing Roosevelt’s boat at Elk Horn ranch that Roosevelt tracked down?
(a) Finnegan and his gang.
(b) Williams and his gang.
(c) Cassidy and his gang.
(d) Butcher and his gang.
4. What new hobby did Theodore Roosevelt undertake in 1870?
5. Who did Theodore Roosevelt visit in Boston after buying Elk Horn ranch in the Dakotas, according to the author in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”?
(a) James G. Blaine.
(b) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(c) George Edmunds.
(d) Titus Sheard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Presidential nominee that was chosen at the 1884 Republican Convention?
2. The author describes an incident in Liverpool when Theodore Roosevelt was turned down by a vendor when he went to purchase what substance in Chapter 2, “The Mind, but Not the Body”?
3. Before departing the Dakota Territory from his first visit, Theodore Roosevelt purchased what property to use as a cattle ranch?
4. What name refers to Republican political activists that bolted from the U.S. Republican Party by supporting Democratic candidate Grover Cleveland in the Presidential Election of 1884?
5. Theodore Roosevelt began his trip to the Dakota Territory at a rough hotel along the banks of what river, according to the author in Chapter 8, “The Dude from New York”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who took custody of Theodore Roosevelt’s infant daughter after the death of his wife Alice Lee Roosevelt? Where did his daughter live?
2. Who did Theodore Roosevelt make campaign speeches for when he returned East from the Dakotas in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”?
3. What is revealed in the journal writings of Theodore Roosevelt in 1870, as seen in Chapter 2, “The Mind, but Not the Body”? What were his interests?
4. How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s studies in his second year at Harvard? What job did his father take at this time?
5. What were Theodore Roosevelt’s principle objectives as assemblyman during his third term, according to the author in Chapter 9, “The Honorable Gentleman”?
6. How does the author describe Theodore Roosevelt’s parents in Chapter 1, “The Very Small Person”?
7. What legislation was Roosevelt involved in during the 1883 session of the New York State Assembly?
8. Where did Theodore Roosevelt travel to marry Edith Carow? Whom did he meet on this trip, according to the author in Chapter 14, “The Next Mayor of New York”?
9. How was the wedding of Theodore Roosevelt and Alice Lee described in Chapter 5, “The Political Hack”? Where did they stay after the wedding?
10. What scenario does the author present surrounding Theodore Roosevelt in the Prologue of the biography? What setting is described?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)