|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date was President McKinley shot?
(a) May 4, 1901.
(b) July 3, 1901.
(c) September 6, 1901.
(d) September 2, 1901.
2. On what date was Theodore Roosevelt nominated as the Republican candidate for New York Governor?
(a) September 17, 1898.
(b) February 15, 1898.
(c) August 14, 1894.
(d) August 8, 1898.
3. Who were the other Civil Service Commissioners alongside Theodore Roosevelt?
(a) George Edmunds and James Thomas.
(b) James G. Blaine and William McKinley.
(c) Peter Hart and John James Wilson.
(d) Charles Lyman and Hugh S. Thompson.
4. Who did William McKinley run against in the 1900 Presidential election?
(a) William Jennings Bryan.
(b) Seth Bullock.
(c) Benjamin Harrison.
(d) Cecil Arthur Spring-Rice.
5. How old was Theodore Roosevelt when he campaigned as the Republican candidate for New York Governor?
6. On what date did Congress pass joint resolution demanding Spanish withdrawal from Cuban?
(a) April 23, 1898.
(b) August 14, 1894.
(c) February 15, 1898.
(d) April 19, 1898.
7. Where was President McKinley attending an exhibition when he was shot?
(a) Albany, New York.
(b) Buffalo, New York.
(c) Cleveland, Ohio.
(d) Charleston, South Carolina.
8. On what date was Theodore Roosevelt III born?
(a) October 28, 1881.
(b) September 13, 1887.
(c) December 2, 1886.
(d) February 12, 1884.
9. Who was the Secretary of the Navy when Theodore Roosevelt was appointed Assistant Secretary?
(a) John D. Long.
(b) George Edmunds.
(c) Seth Bullock.
(d) Titus Sheard.
10. Spain declared war on the U.S. over Cuba on what date?
(a) April 19, 1898.
(b) April 25, 1898.
(c) April 23, 1898.
(d) February 15, 1898.
11. As acting Secretary of the U.S. Navy, Roosevelt toured what new ship where he heard the cannons fire for the first time, according to the author in Chapter 22, “The Hot Weather Secretary”?
(a) The USS Ohio.
(b) The USS Pennsylvania.
(c) The USS Iowa.
(d) The USS Maine.
12. How did Theodore Roosevelt’s wife Edith feel about his potential nomination of Vice President?
(a) She opposed it.
(b) She was overwhelmingly happy.
(c) She supported it.
(d) She was indifferent.
13. The mobilization site and encampment of the Rough Riders was established where?
(a) The San Antonio International Fair Grounds.
(b) The Minneapolis National Fair Grounds.
(c) The Los Alamos National Fair Grounds.
(d) The San Miguel International Fair Grounds.
14. When was Maria Longworth Nichols Storer born?
15. Theodore Roosevelt was returning from a climb to the summit of what mountain when a park ranger brought him a telegram informing him of the President’s deteriorating condition, according to the author in the Epilogue?
(a) Mount Marcy.
(b) Mount Jackson.
(c) Mount McKinley.
(d) Mount Everest.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his role as New York City Police Commissioner, Theodore Roosevelt enlisted the aid of reporters from what publication?
2. Theodore Roosevelt was appointed to the post of Assistant Secretary of the Navy in what year?
3. On what date did Anna Hall Roosevelt die?
4. By what nickname was Thomas Collier Platt known?
5. How much money did the woman demand who claimed she was illegitimately pregnant with Theodore Roosevelt’s brother?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)