|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Theodore Roosevelt’s mother from?
2. When Theodore Roosevelt first visited the Dakota Territory, what location was used as his base of operations, according to the author in Chapter 8, “The Dude from New York”?
(a) The Pyramid Park Hotel.
(b) Isaac Hunt’s home.
(c) Lang’s cabin.
(d) The Clemson Tavern.
3. In what year did Theodore Roosevelt graduate magna cum laude from college?
4. Theodore Roosevelt married Alice Lee on his birthday. How old did he turn on that day?
5. What was the name of Theodore Roosevelt’s wife when he held the office of United States President?
(a) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(b) Susan Elizabeth Roosevelt.
(c) Edith Carow Roosevelt.
(d) Alice Lee Roosevelt.
6. Where did Theodore Roosevelt and Alice Lee Roosevelt settle in New York after their brief stay at the Roosevelts’ estate on Long Island after their marriage?
(a) Coney Island, New York.
(b) The Pyramid Park Hotel.
(c) 6 West 57th Street.
(d) Richfield Springs, New York.
7. Theodore Roosevelt began courting Edith Carow how long after the death of his first wife, according to the author in Chapter 12, “The Four-Eyed Maverick”?
(a) 20 months later.
(b) 2 months later.
(c) 4 years later.
(d) 6 months later.
8. Who wrote “The Saga of King Olaf”?
(a) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Edith Wharton.
(d) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
9. Who won the election for the Mayor of New York in 1886?
(a) Cecil Arthur Spring-Rice.
(b) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(c) Abram Hewitt.
(d) George Edmunds.
10. What refers to a levy on the unimproved value of land only?
(a) Personal value tax.
(b) Land immunity tax.
(c) Land levy accordance.
(d) Land value tax.
11. What new hobby did Theodore Roosevelt undertake in 1870?
12. As a New York State Assemblyman, what nickname did Theodore Roosevelt gain for his habit of striking down the bills of others while drafting little legislation of his own?
(a) “Wunderkind Assemblyman.”
(b) “Ivy League Assemblyman.”
(c) “Whippersnapper Assemblyman.”
(d) “Cyclone Assemblyman.”
13. What book did Theodore Roosevelt publish in 1885 about his experiences in the Dakotas?
(a) A Biography of Gouveneur Morris.
(b) Some of the Birds of Oyster Bay.
(c) Hunting Tips of a Ranchman.
(d) The Summer Birds of the Adirondacks.
14. While searching for the cattle thieves that he believed stole his boat, Theodore Roosevelt met and befriended what famous sheriff of Deadwood, South Dakota?
(a) Joe Ferris.
(b) James G. Blaine.
(c) Thomas Hart Benton.
(d) Seth Bullock.
15. How old was future first lady Eleanor Roosevelt at the time of Ulysses Grant’s funeral?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 5 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt built a ranch in the Dakota Territory named Elk Horn. This ranch was located 35 miles from what boomtown?
2. Who was the Presidential nominee that was chosen at the 1884 Republican Convention?
3. In 1886, Roosevelt ran as the Republican candidate for mayor of New York City, portraying himself as what persona?
4. On October 28, 1881, Theodore Roosevelt gained a nomination for state senate at what age?
5. Where did Theodore and Alice Roosevelt retreat for the month of July as construction continued on Roosevelt’s mansion at Oyster Bay, according to the author in Chapter 7, “The Fighting Cock”?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)