|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Theodore Roosevelt first visited the Dakota Territory, what location was used as his base of operations, according to the author in Chapter 8, “The Dude from New York”?
(a) The Clemson Tavern.
(b) The Pyramid Park Hotel.
(c) Lang’s cabin.
(d) Isaac Hunt’s home.
2. Where did Theodore and Alice Roosevelt retreat for the month of July as construction continued on Roosevelt’s mansion at Oyster Bay, according to the author in Chapter 7, “The Fighting Cock”?
(a) Richfield Springs, New York.
(b) Brighton Beach, New York.
(c) The Pyramid Park Hotel.
(d) Coney Island, New York.
3. What physical ailment frequently caused problems for Theodore Roosevelt during his childhood?
(a) Crohn’s disease.
4. When was the Pendleton Civil Service Reform Act established?
5. From whose brother did Theodore Roosevelt purchase the lands in the Dakota Territory that he planned to use as a cattle ranch?
(a) Charles Patterson’s.
(b) Isaac Hunt’s.
(c) Joe Ferris’s.
(d) James Wilson’s.
6. In investigating corruption in the case of the Manhattan Elevated Railroad and the City of New York, Theodore Roosevelt’s findings demanded further investigation of what two individuals in 1881-1882?
(a) Judge Westbrook and Attorney General Ward.
(b) Charles Patterson and Judge Anderson.
(c) Judge Williamson and Attorney General Smith.
(d) Judge Jasper and Attorney General Swift.
7. In the beginning of Chapter 9, “The Honorable Gentleman,” the author describes Theodore Roosevelt returning to Albany to serve his what term as assemblyman?
(a) His fifth term.
(b) His third term.
(c) His second term.
(d) His fourth term.
8. When was Theodore Roosevelt’s daughter Alice Lee Roosevelt born?
(a) February 12, 1884.
(b) October 27, 1858.
(c) January 14, 1883.
(d) October 28, 1881.
9. Before departing the Dakota Territory from his first visit, Theodore Roosevelt purchased what property to use as a cattle ranch?
(a) The Lost Water.
(b) The Maltese Cross.
(c) The Elk Horn.
(d) The Indigo Pass.
10. Where did Theodore Roosevelt and Alice Lee Roosevelt settle in New York after their brief stay at the Roosevelts’ estate on Long Island after their marriage?
(a) Richfield Springs, New York.
(b) Coney Island, New York.
(c) 6 West 57th Street.
(d) The Pyramid Park Hotel.
11. Who did Theodore Roosevelt meet aboard a ship bound for England in the winter of 1886, who later introduced Roosevelt to many English dignitaries?
(a) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(b) George Edmunds.
(c) Cecil Arthur Spring-Rice.
(d) Abram Hewitt.
12. In 1886, Roosevelt ran as the Republican candidate for mayor of New York City, portraying himself as what persona?
(a) “The Rancher Professor.”
(b) “The Cowboy of the Dakotas.”
(c) “The Future President.”
(d) “The Cowboy of the Ivy League.”
13. What was the name of the horse that Theodore Roosevelt had sent to Cambridge in order to pursue his courtship of Alice Lee?
(c) Black Beauty.
(d) Golden Rod.
14. Theodore Roosevelt began courting Edith Carow how long after the death of his first wife, according to the author in Chapter 12, “The Four-Eyed Maverick”?
(a) 4 years later.
(b) 6 months later.
(c) 20 months later.
(d) 2 months later.
15. What was the name of Theodore Roosevelt’s wife when he held the office of United States President?
(a) Edith Carow Roosevelt.
(b) Eleanor Roosevelt.
(c) Susan Elizabeth Roosevelt.
(d) Alice Lee Roosevelt.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Theodore Roosevelt graduate magna cum laude from college?
2. What author is mentioned in the Prologue as having remarked negatively about President Theodore Roosevelt’s methodologies and called him “insane”?
3. Who did Theodore Roosevelt become friends with during his early career as an assemblyman, who became Roosevelt’s first ally?
4. Following the death of his wife and mother, Theodore Roosevelt sold his house and his mother’s and moved his daughter and her caretaker to a smaller place located where in New York City?
5. When Theodore Roosevelt first arrived in Albany as an assemblyman, he was compared by his fellow assemblyman to what contemporary writer of the time?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)