|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theodore Roosevelt’s first trip to the Dakota Territory began at what rough establishment described as a room full of cots in Chapter 8, “The Dude from New York”?
(a) The Pyramid Park Hotel.
(b) The White Horse Tavern.
(c) The Jackson Cliff Tavern.
(d) The Myriam Hotel.
2. In 1883-1884, the topic of the New York Elevated railroad arose and Roosevelt supported a measure to lower the fare from 10 cents to how much?
(a) 2 cents.
(b) 5 cents.
(c) 3 cents.
(d) 8 cents.
3. When Theodore Roosevelt first took his friends from Maine to his Elk Horn ranch in the Dakotas, he enjoyed much success as a hunter, even killing what?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A grizzly bear.
(c) A mountain lion.
(d) An elk.
4. Thomas Roosevelt’s family largely spent their summers at an estate located where?
(a) Brighton Beach, New York.
(b) Oyster Bay, New York.
(c) Richfield Springs, New York.
(d) Coney Island, New York.
5. While searching for the cattle thieves that he believed stole his boat, Theodore Roosevelt met and befriended what famous sheriff of Deadwood, South Dakota?
(a) Thomas Hart Benton.
(b) Seth Bullock.
(c) James G. Blaine.
(d) Joe Ferris.
6. Where did Theodore Roosevelt live while he studied in college?
(a) Mrs. Rothwild’s Boarding House.
(b) Mrs. Peters’ Boarding House.
(c) Mrs. Anderson’s Boarding House.
(d) Mrs. Richardson's Boarding House.
7. What physical ailment frequently caused problems for Theodore Roosevelt during his childhood?
(d) Crohn’s disease.
8. What new hobby did Theodore Roosevelt undertake in 1870?
9. When Theodore Roosevelt took up sporting with hounds in 1885, he injured himself where on his first trip out?
(a) His knee.
(b) His hip.
(c) His shoulder.
(d) His neck.
10. Before departing the Dakota Territory from his first visit, Theodore Roosevelt purchased what property to use as a cattle ranch?
(a) The Indigo Pass.
(b) The Lost Water.
(c) The Elk Horn.
(d) The Maltese Cross.
11. Theodore Roosevelt, Senior received an appointment as Collector of Customs to the Port of New York by what U.S. President?
(a) Rutherford B. Hayes.
(b) William McKinley.
(c) James Garfield.
(d) Grover Cleveland.
12. In how many of his seven subjects did Theodore Roosevelt earn honors at the completion of his freshman year in college?
13. The Prologue of The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt opens with a detailed description of President Roosevelt greeting guests on New Year’s Day of what year?
14. When Theodore Roosevelt returned Albany to the Republican Convention of 1884, he led the independents for what candidate?
(a) Titus Sheard.
(b) George Edmunds.
(c) Grover Cleveland.
(d) James G. Blaine.
15. What trademark greeting is Theodore Roosevelt described as having used when shaking the hands of his visitors at the White House in the book’s Prologue?
(d) “Good to meet you!”
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Theodore Roosevelt and Alice Lee Roosevelt settle in New York after their brief stay at the Roosevelts’ estate on Long Island after their marriage?
2. By what nickname was Theodore Roosevelt’s sister, Anna Roosevelt, known?
3. Who was the Presidential nominee that was chosen at the 1884 Republican Convention?
4. Who wrote “The Saga of King Olaf”?
5. When was Theodore Roosevelt’s daughter Alice Lee Roosevelt born?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)