|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 28, “The Man of Destiny”.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name did Theodore Roosevelt plan to give to the estate that he built on Long Island for Alice Lee?
(a) Great Land.
(c) White Cliff.
2. A severe U.S. winter in 1886-1887 wiped out most of Theodore Roosevelt’s herd of cattle and his investments of how much at Elk Horn ranch?
3. Theodore Roosevelt first used the phrase “speak softly and carry a big stick” when giving a speech where?
(a) The New York State Fair.
(b) The Texas State Fair.
(c) The Chicago State Fair.
(d) The Minnesota State Fair.
4. Where was Maria Longworth Nichols Storer from?
(a) Cincinnati, Ohio.
(b) Portland, Maine.
(c) New Brunswick, New Jersey.
(d) Little Rock, Arkansas.
5. Thomas Roosevelt’s family largely spent their summers at an estate located where?
(a) Coney Island, New York.
(b) Brighton Beach, New York.
(c) Oyster Bay, New York.
(d) Richfield Springs, New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Opposition to Theodore Roosevelt’s nomination for Republican candidate for New York Governor pointed out that Roosevelt held no property in the state. What legal advisor came to the rescue for Roosevelt?
2. On what date was Theodore Roosevelt nominated as the Republican candidate for New York Governor?
3. What local tycoon and Frenchmen challenged Theodore Roosevelt’s newest land claim in the Dakotas, according to the author in Chapter 11, “The Cowboy of the Present”?
4. In 1883-1884, the topic of the New York Elevated railroad arose and Roosevelt supported a measure to lower the fare from 10 cents to how much?
5. Theodore Roosevelt built a ranch in the Dakota Territory named Elk Horn. This ranch was located 35 miles from what boomtown?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)