|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Theodore Roosevelt’s mother die of on the same day that his wife died?
(a) Bright’s disease.
(b) A brain aneurysm.
(c) Lung cancer.
(d) Typhoid fever.
2. In investigating corruption in the case of the Manhattan Elevated Railroad and the City of New York, Theodore Roosevelt’s findings demanded further investigation of what two individuals in 1881-1882?
(a) Judge Williamson and Attorney General Smith.
(b) Charles Patterson and Judge Anderson.
(c) Judge Westbrook and Attorney General Ward.
(d) Judge Jasper and Attorney General Swift.
3. What term refers to the widely held belief that American settlers were destined to expand across the continent?
(a) Individual Right.
(b) Manifest Destiny.
(c) Personal Utopia.
(d) Indian Removal.
4. As a New York State Assemblyman, what nickname did Theodore Roosevelt gain for his habit of striking down the bills of others while drafting little legislation of his own?
(a) “Ivy League Assemblyman.”
(b) “Wunderkind Assemblyman.”
(c) “Cyclone Assemblyman.”
(d) “Whippersnapper Assemblyman.”
5. Who did Theodore Roosevelt campaign for in the 1888 Presidential election?
(a) Thomas Hart Benton.
(b) Benjamin Harrison.
(c) Cecil Arthur Spring-Rice.
(d) James G. Blaine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the cattle thieves suspected of stealing Roosevelt’s boat at Elk Horn ranch that Roosevelt tracked down?
2. As Civil Service Commissioner, Theodore Roosevelt confronted what potentially crooked Postmaster General in Milwaukee, according to the author in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
3. Who were the other Civil Service Commissioners alongside Theodore Roosevelt?
4. Who was elected as Speaker in the New York Assembly in 1881 and 1882?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 9, “The Honorable Gentleman,” the author describes Theodore Roosevelt returning to Albany to serve his what term as assemblyman?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)