|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, “The Honorable Gentleman,” the author states that Theodore Roosevelt succeeded in pushing three pieces of legislations through, including a reform of what?
(a) New York City’s transportation system.
(b) New York City’s ports.
(c) New York City's aldermen.
(d) New York City’s policemen.
2. What was the name of the second nature book that Theodore Roosevelt published while he was still enrolled in college?
(a) Hunting Tips of a Ranchman.
(b) The Summer Birds of the Adirondacks.
(c) Some of the Birds of Oyster Bay.
(d) A Biography of Gouveneur Morris.
3. Who beat Theodore Roosevelt for the position of Speaker of the New York State Assembly in 1884?
(a) James G. Blaine.
(b) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(c) George Edmunds.
(d) Titus Sheard.
4. What was the cause of death of Alice Roosevelt following the death of her and Theodore’s daughter, Alice Lee Roosevelt?
(a) Crohn’s disease.
(b) A brain aneurysm.
(c) Bright’s disease.
5. Who were the cattle thieves suspected of stealing Roosevelt’s boat at Elk Horn ranch that Roosevelt tracked down?
(a) Williams and his gang.
(b) Butcher and his gang.
(c) Finnegan and his gang.
(d) Cassidy and his gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Theodore Roosevelt live while he studied in college?
2. Who did Theodore Roosevelt campaign for in the 1888 Presidential election?
3. During what years did William McKinley serve as President of the United States?
4. In the Dakota Territory, Roosevelt enjoyed celebrity status for his capture of the cattle thieves who stole his boat. He was then asked to give a speech at a political celebration in what town on July 4, according to the author in Chapter 13, “The Long Arm of the Law”?
5. A severe U.S. winter in 1886-1887 wiped out most of Theodore Roosevelt’s herd of cattle and his investments of how much at Elk Horn ranch?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)