|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, “The Honorable Gentleman,” the author states that Theodore Roosevelt succeeded in pushing three pieces of legislations through, including a reform of what?
(a) New York City’s policemen.
(b) New York City's aldermen.
(c) New York City’s ports.
(d) New York City’s transportation system.
2. Where did Theodore Roosevelt live while he studied in college?
(a) Mrs. Rothwild’s Boarding House.
(b) Mrs. Peters’ Boarding House.
(c) Mrs. Richardson's Boarding House.
(d) Mrs. Anderson’s Boarding House.
3. Who was elected as Speaker in the New York Assembly in 1881 and 1882?
(a) George Edmunds.
(b) Charles Patterson.
(c) Benjamin Harrison.
(d) Isaac Hunt.
4. What Washington Post writer called Roosevelt a hypocrite for finding work for Shidy after the ordeal in Wisconsin, according to the author in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
(a) Seth Bullock.
(b) George Edmunds.
(c) Frank Hatton.
(d) George Paul.
5. Who were the cattle thieves suspected of stealing Roosevelt’s boat at Elk Horn ranch that Roosevelt tracked down?
(a) Finnegan and his gang.
(b) Williams and his gang.
(c) Cassidy and his gang.
(d) Butcher and his gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Civil Service Commissioner, Theodore Roosevelt confronted what potentially crooked Postmaster General in Milwaukee, according to the author in Chapter 16, “The Silver-Plated Reform Commissioner”?
2. In how many of his seven subjects did Theodore Roosevelt earn honors at the completion of his freshman year in college?
3. In the Dakota Territory, Roosevelt enjoyed celebrity status for his capture of the cattle thieves who stole his boat. He was then asked to give a speech at a political celebration in what town on July 4, according to the author in Chapter 13, “The Long Arm of the Law”?
4. Theodore Roosevelt, Senior received an appointment as Collector of Customs to the Port of New York by what U.S. President?
5. A severe U.S. winter in 1886-1887 wiped out most of Theodore Roosevelt’s herd of cattle and his investments of how much at Elk Horn ranch?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)