|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Silas Lapham meets with James Bellingham to discuss buying out another company, what does Bellingham suggest that Lapham do instead?
(a) Sell his Back Bay house.
(b) Sell his company.
(c) Disappear and assume a new identity.
(d) Declare bankruptcy.
2. Who sends Irene the Texas newspaper clipping she thought had come from Tom Corey?
(a) Uncle James.
(b) Tom's Texas friend Stanton.
(c) Uncle William.
(d) An old friend of Persis.
3. What is Silas Lapham's response when Persis asks him who Mrs. M is?
(a) He says it's an employee.
(b) He says it's an old school friend.
(c) He says it's his girlfriend.
(d) He says he doesn't know what she means.
4. In their determination not to be the first guests to arrive at the Coreys' dinner party, what do the Laphams end up being?
(a) Half an hour late.
(b) The second guests to arrive.
(c) The last guests to arrive.
(d) Too anxious and fretful to enjoy themselves at the party.
5. What does Irene buy at the apothecary?
(a) Medication for depression.
(b) A powder to help her sleep.
(c) Aspirin for a headache.
(d) Medication for an upset stomach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refers to Silas Lapham as General Lapham instead of by his true title of Colonel Lapham?
2. How does Persis Lapham shock Penelope out of her depression over Tom Corey?
3. When Silas Lapham visits his new house, what does he do there?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the decision Silas Lapham comes to regarding the potential buyers of the mills?
5. When Persis Lapham tells Penelope that Tom Corey has offered to invest in her father's company, how does Penelope respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Irene go after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her, and what do her letters indicate about her activities there?
2. What opinion does Penelope Lapham give Tom Corey about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
3. Describe Anna Corey's visit to the Lapham home in Chapter Twelve.
4. What revelation does Tom Corey make to Penelope Lapham in Chapter Sixteen and what is Penelope's surprising reaction to the news?
5. What opinion does Persis Lapham cling to about Milton Rogers despite being presented with evidence to the contrary, and what does this indicate about her character?
6. What moral dilemma does Silas Lapham have over Rogers's proposed business deal?
7. What new business proposition does Milton Rogers bring Silas Lapham in Chapter Twenty Five?
8. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
9. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
10. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)