|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom do the Laphams receive a letter at the beginning of Chapter Twenty Two?
(a) Tom Corey.
(b) James Bellingham.
2. Who does Persis Lapham say was never equal to Tom Corey?
(a) Silas Lapham.
(d) Charles Bellingham.
3. Who does Irene mention frequently in her letters from Dubuque?
(a) Cousin Will.
(b) Her hatred of Penelope.
(c) Her fear about her father's health.
(d) The fashions in Iowa.
4. How does the elegant and classically designed Corey home seem to the Laphams when they enter it?
(a) Overly fancy.
5. Who says she will never live in the Lapham's new house on Back Bay?
(b) Persis's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes the Lapham girls to his mother?
2. From where do the Corey women return at the beginning of Chapter Twelve?
3. What might Silas Lapham have to sell because of the financial trouble he is into with Rogers?
4. What does Silas Lapham decide to shut down in Chapter Twenty Three?
5. What is the problem with Lapham's mills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of Bromfield and Anna Corey to the news that their son loves Penelope rather than Irene Lapham?
2. What strategies does Silas Lapham consider in Chapter Twenty Three for easing his financial woes?
3. Which member of the Lapham family does not attend the Corey dinner party and what different reactions do Anna Corey and Persis Lapham have to the absence?
4. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
5. Where does Irene go after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her, and what do her letters indicate about her activities there?
6. What bad news does Walker the bookkeeper deliver to Silas Lapham about Lapham's paint company in Chapter Twenty One?
7. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
8. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
9. What moral dilemma does Silas Lapham have over Rogers's proposed business deal?
10. What opinion does Penelope Lapham give Tom Corey about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)