|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Silas Lapham accuse Milton Rogers of being?
(a) A murderer.
(b) A thief.
(c) A fraud.
(d) A sinner.
2. In Chapter Twenty Three, why does Silas Lapham wish his daughter would marry Tom Corey?
(a) So she would quit being so depressed.
(b) So someone in the family would be happy again.
(c) So Tom Corey could provide for her.
(d) So the Coreys would help him financially.
3. Which member of the Lapham family refuses to attend the Coreys' dinner party?
4. Why does Persis send a note to her husband in Chapter Seventeen asking him to meet her early in the afternoon?
(a) She wants to confront him about Zerilla.
(b) She wants to ask for a divorce.
(c) She wants to tell him of Tom Corey's love for Penelope.
(d) She wants to ask him to give Rogers another loan.
5. Who refers to Silas Lapham as General Lapham instead of by his true title of Colonel Lapham?
(a) Mr. Sewell.
(b) Charles Bellingham.
(c) Anna Corey.
(d) Bromfield Corey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Irene the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three?
3. Who does Silas Lapham want to talk with his wife about in Chapter Eighteen?
4. Why does Penelope greet Tom Corey when he visits her home in Chapter Sixteen?
5. Why do Persis and Silas Lapham begin to feel glad their daughter is not engaged to Tom Corey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
2. Describe Anna Corey's visit to the Lapham home in Chapter Twelve.
3. Describe Irene's reaction to the news that Tom Corey prefers her plainer sister, Penelope, to her.
4. Describe how Silas Lapham confronts Milton Rogers in Chapter Twenty One and how Rogers responds to that confrontation.
5. Describe Silas Lapham's financial status at the end of Chapter Twenty One and how it compares to his financial status at the beginning of the novel?
6. What new business proposition does Milton Rogers bring Silas Lapham in Chapter Twenty Five?
7. What strategies does Silas Lapham consider in Chapter Twenty Three for easing his financial woes?
8. How do the Laphams react to the dinner invitation from the aristocratic Coreys?
9. What is Tom Corey's reaction when he learns that the Laphams have believed he prefers Irene to Penelope?
10. Which member of the Lapham family does not attend the Corey dinner party and what different reactions do Anna Corey and Persis Lapham have to the absence?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)