|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Twenty Three, why does Silas Lapham wish his daughter would marry Tom Corey?
(a) So someone in the family would be happy again.
(b) So Tom Corey could provide for her.
(c) So she would quit being so depressed.
(d) So the Coreys would help him financially.
2. With whom is Irene staying in Dubuque?
(a) An old school friend.
(b) Her paternal grandparents.
(c) Her maternal grandparents.
(d) Silas Lapham's brother, William, and his family.
3. In their determination not to be the first guests to arrive at the Coreys' dinner party, what do the Laphams end up being?
(a) Too anxious and fretful to enjoy themselves at the party.
(b) The last guests to arrive.
(c) Half an hour late.
(d) The second guests to arrive.
4. Who sends Irene the Texas newspaper clipping she thought had come from Tom Corey?
(a) Uncle James.
(b) Tom's Texas friend Stanton.
(c) Uncle William.
(d) An old friend of Persis.
5. Who defends Milton Rogers to Silas Lapham and refuses to believe Rogers is the swindler he seems to be?
(a) Bromfield Corey.
(d) Tom Corey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas Lapham decide to shut down in Chapter Twenty Three?
2. Who says she will never live in the Lapham's new house on Back Bay?
3. How long does Silas Lapham give Milton Rogers to produce the parties who Rogers claims want to buy the mills?
4. What does Silas Lapham accuse Milton Rogers of being?
5. Where is Irene Lapham when Anna Corey visits the Laphams in Chapter Twelve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
2. Describe Anna Corey's visit to the Lapham home in Chapter Twelve.
3. What revelation does Tom Corey make to Penelope Lapham in Chapter Sixteen and what is Penelope's surprising reaction to the news?
4. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
5. Describe Irene's reaction to the news that Tom Corey prefers her plainer sister, Penelope, to her.
6. What is the reaction of Bromfield and Anna Corey to the news that their son loves Penelope rather than Irene Lapham?
7. What is Tom Corey's reaction when he learns that the Laphams have believed he prefers Irene to Penelope?
8. Where does Irene go after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her, and what do her letters indicate about her activities there?
9. What strategies does Silas Lapham consider in Chapter Twenty Three for easing his financial woes?
10. What opinion does Persis Lapham cling to about Milton Rogers despite being presented with evidence to the contrary, and what does this indicate about her character?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)