|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Milton Rogers comes to visit Silas Lapham at the office in Chapter Twenty One and says he thought the railroad would pay a fair price for the mills, what does Lapham accuse Rogers of doing?
(a) Trying to ru in his business.
(b) Trying to steal Persis from him.
(d) Trying to marry Irene.
2. What is Silas Lapham's response when Persis asks him who Mrs. M is?
(a) He says it's an employee.
(b) He says it's an old school friend.
(c) He says it's his girlfriend.
(d) He says he doesn't know what she means.
3. Which guest at the Coreys' dinner party thinks novels are "psychical suicide" and give too much importance to love, love-making, and marriage?
(a) Mr. Sewell, the minister.
(b) Charles Bellingham.
(c) Miss Kingsbury.
(d) Silas Lapham.
4. What is the result of Milton Rogers's deadline for bringing the potential buyers of the mills to Silas Lapham's office?
(a) Milton brings the buyers and they buy the mills.
(b) Milton brings the buyers but they decide not to buy.
(c) Milton skips town and can't be located.
(d) Milton does not produce the English men.
5. What does Penelope write to Tom Corey?
(a) That she's going to become a nun.
(b) To not come see her until she says it's okay.
(c) To come see her at once.
(d) That she is engaged to another man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Corey try unsuccessfully to convince Penelope of at the end of Chapter Nineteen?
2. When Anna Corey visits the Laphams in Chapter Twelve, how does Mrs. Lapham feel about the visit?
3. What novel do the guests at the Coreys' dinner party discuss?
4. What does Irene give Penelope after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her?
5. What does Nanny Corey think the novel discussed at her family's dinner party should have been called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Civil War experiences Silas Lapham relates to the other guests at the Coreys' dinner party.
2. What bad news does Walker the bookkeeper deliver to Silas Lapham about Lapham's paint company in Chapter Twenty One?
3. How do the Laphams react to the dinner invitation from the aristocratic Coreys?
4. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
5. Describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerrilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three.
6. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
7. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
8. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
9. What destroys Silas Lapham's new house and how does that situation add to Lapham's financial woes?
10. What strategies does Silas Lapham consider in Chapter Twenty Three for easing his financial woes?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)