|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What competition arises for Silas Lapham's paint business?
(a) A new quick drying paint.
(b) A West Virginia paint company.
(c) A Canadian paint company.
(d) An aluminum siding company.
2. With what keen sense does Nanny Corey read novels?
(a) A sense of moral indignation.
(b) A sense of adventure and romance.
(c) A sense of their inaccuracy as representations of life.
(d) A sense of artistry and desire to write her own novel.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Penelope's opinion of the novel she and Tom Corey discuss?
(a) The heroine sacrifices her happiness and the hero's.
(b) She wonders why novel characters don't act reasonably.
(c) The heroine shouldn't let another girl have her beloved.
(d) The characters in the book behave sensibly.
4. Who does Persis Lapham say was never equal to Tom Corey?
(a) Charles Bellingham.
(c) Silas Lapham.
5. What note does Penelope send to Tom Corey at the beginning of Chapter Twenty Two?
(a) A note begging him to court her sister instead.
(b) A note declaring her love for him.
(c) A note telling him to not come see her any more.
(d) A note begging him to elope with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Laphams is happiest about the Coreys' dinner invitation?
2. Who tells Irene the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her?
3. What does Silas Lapham wear to the Corey dinner that no other man there wears?
4. With whom is Irene staying in Dubuque?
5. When Lapham apologizes to Tom Corey at the office after the Coreys' dinner party for his behavior at the party, what does Tom blame for the incident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerrilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three.
2. Describe Anna Corey's visit to the Lapham home in Chapter Twelve.
3. What strategies does Silas Lapham consider in Chapter Twenty Three for easing his financial woes?
4. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
5. What revelation does Tom Corey make to Penelope Lapham in Chapter Sixteen and what is Penelope's surprising reaction to the news?
6. What moral dilemma does Silas Lapham have over Rogers's proposed business deal?
7. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
8. What is written on the scrap of paper Persis Lapham retrieves when her husband drops it and what is Silas Lapham's explanation for the paper?
9. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
10. Describe Irene's reaction to the news that Tom Corey prefers her plainer sister, Penelope, to her.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)