|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the elegant and classically designed Corey home seem to the Laphams when they enter it?
(c) Overly fancy.
2. In Chapter Twenty Three, why does Silas Lapham wish his daughter would marry Tom Corey?
(a) So Tom Corey could provide for her.
(b) So she would quit being so depressed.
(c) So the Coreys would help him financially.
(d) So someone in the family would be happy again.
3. Which of the following statements is not something Tom Corey is told about Lapham's paint business in Chapter Twenty One?
(a) No wages have ever been cut before at Lapham's.
(b) The fire's never been out in the works.
(c) Other paint companies are decreasing production.
(d) It is prospering.
4. What novel do the guests at the Coreys' dinner party discuss?
(b) Tears, Idle Tears.
(c) David Copperfield.
(d) Tom Sawyer.
5. When Milton Rogers comes to visit Silas Lapham at the office in Chapter Twenty One and says he thought the railroad would pay a fair price for the mills, what does Lapham accuse Rogers of doing?
(a) Trying to marry Irene.
(b) Trying to steal Persis from him.
(d) Trying to ru in his business.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Silas Lapham give Milton Rogers to produce the parties who Rogers claims want to buy the mills?
2. Who does Milton Rogers claim might want to buy the mills?
3. What is the problem with Lapham's mills?
4. Who defends Milton Rogers to Silas Lapham and refuses to believe Rogers is the swindler he seems to be?
5. What does Tom Corey try unsuccessfully to convince Penelope of at the end of Chapter Nineteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is written on the scrap of paper Persis Lapham retrieves when her husband drops it and what is Silas Lapham's explanation for the paper?
2. What destroys Silas Lapham's new house and how does that situation add to Lapham's financial woes?
3. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
4. Describe Irene's reaction to the news that Tom Corey prefers her plainer sister, Penelope, to her.
5. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
6. Describe Silas Lapham's financial status at the end of Chapter Twenty One and how it compares to his financial status at the beginning of the novel?
7. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
8. Which member of the Lapham family does not attend the Corey dinner party and what different reactions do Anna Corey and Persis Lapham have to the absence?
9. What opinion does Persis Lapham cling to about Milton Rogers despite being presented with evidence to the contrary, and what does this indicate about her character?
10. How do the Laphams react to the dinner invitation from the aristocratic Coreys?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)