|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Seventeen, who does Silas Lapham tell his wife he found at their house the previous night?
(a) Bromfield Corey.
(b) Zerilla Dewey.
(c) Milton Rogers.
(d) Tom Corey.
2. How does the elegant and classically designed Corey home seem to the Laphams when they enter it?
(b) Overly fancy.
3. What is the result of Milton Rogers's deadline for bringing the potential buyers of the mills to Silas Lapham's office?
(a) Milton brings the buyers but they decide not to buy.
(b) Milton does not produce the English men.
(c) Milton skips town and can't be located.
(d) Milton brings the buyers and they buy the mills.
4. How many sisters does Tom Corey have?
5. Who drinks too much at the Coreys' dinner party and begins to brag as a result?
(a) Silas Lapham.
(b) Irene Lapham.
(c) Miss Kingsbury.
(d) Charles Bellingham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Milton Rogers claim might want to buy the mills?
2. What might Silas Lapham have to sell because of the financial trouble he is into with Rogers?
3. With whom does Silas Lapham suggest he and his wife discuss the matter of Tom Corey's relationship with their daughters?
4. Which of the Laphams is happiest about the Coreys' dinner invitation?
5. What novel do the guests at the Coreys' dinner party discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
2. What moral dilemma does Silas Lapham have over Rogers's proposed business deal?
3. Describe how Silas Lapham confronts Milton Rogers in Chapter Twenty One and how Rogers responds to that confrontation.
4. Describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerrilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three.
5. What strategies does Silas Lapham consider in Chapter Twenty Three for easing his financial woes?
6. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
7. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
8. What is written on the scrap of paper Persis Lapham retrieves when her husband drops it and what is Silas Lapham's explanation for the paper?
9. What new business proposition does Milton Rogers bring Silas Lapham in Chapter Twenty Five?
10. What is Persis Lapham's reaction to Tom Corey's revelation when Penelope shares it with her?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)