|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom do the Laphams receive a letter at the beginning of Chapter Twenty Two?
(b) James Bellingham.
(c) Tom Corey.
2. With whom does Silas Lapham suggest he and his wife discuss the matter of Tom Corey's relationship with their daughters?
(a) Anna Corey.
(b) Mr. Sewell.
(c) Milton Rogers.
(d) Bromfield Corey.
3. Who saves Lapham's life during the Civil War by taking a bullet meant for Lapham?
(a) Bromfield Corey.
(b) Milton Rogers.
(c) Jim Millon.
(d) Persis Lapham's father, George.
4. How does Persis Lapham shock Penelope out of her depression over Tom Corey?
(a) By inviting Tom Corey over to tea.
(b) By telling Penelope of Silas Lapham's business woes.
(c) By telling her Irene is marrying someone else.
(d) By buying her an expensive diamond bracelet.
5. What does Irene give Penelope after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her?
(a) A new dress to wear on a date with Tom.
(b) A photo of Tom.
(c) All the souvenirs she has collected of Tom.
(d) A book of love poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Silas Lapham travel out west at the beginning of Chapter Twenty One?
2. When Tom Corey tells his mother about his romance, who does his mother initially believe he loves?
3. Who says she will never live in the Lapham's new house on Back Bay?
4. Who does Irene mention frequently in her letters from Dubuque?
5. When Silas Lapham starts bringing work home with him, who helps him with his paperwork?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of Bromfield and Anna Corey to the news that their son loves Penelope rather than Irene Lapham?
2. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
3. Which member of the Lapham family does not attend the Corey dinner party and what different reactions do Anna Corey and Persis Lapham have to the absence?
4. Describe Anna Corey's visit to the Lapham home in Chapter Twelve.
5. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
6. How do the Laphams react to the dinner invitation from the aristocratic Coreys?
7. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
8. What new business proposition does Milton Rogers bring Silas Lapham in Chapter Twenty Five?
9. What is written on the scrap of paper Persis Lapham retrieves when her husband drops it and what is Silas Lapham's explanation for the paper?
10. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)