|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Persis Lapham fret about after receiving Anna Corey's dinner invitation?
(a) Whether to attend the dinner or not.
(b) What carriage her family should take to the dinner.
(c) How to impress the Coreys.
(d) What she and her family should wear to the dinner.
2. In Chapter Twenty Three, why does Silas Lapham wish his daughter would marry Tom Corey?
(a) So she would quit being so depressed.
(b) So the Coreys would help him financially.
(c) So someone in the family would be happy again.
(d) So Tom Corey could provide for her.
3. Who does Tom Corey tell Penelope he loves?
(b) Zerilla Dewey.
(d) Moll Millon.
4. What subject does Persis urgently need to discuss with Silas in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) The family finances.
(b) Tom Corey, Irene, and Penelope.
(c) Her health.
(d) Zerilla Dewey.
5. What is the result of Milton Rogers's deadline for bringing the potential buyers of the mills to Silas Lapham's office?
(a) Milton does not produce the English men.
(b) Milton brings the buyers but they decide not to buy.
(c) Milton skips town and can't be located.
(d) Milton brings the buyers and they buy the mills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Persis Lapham find crying in Chapter Seventeen?
2. Who does Persis Lapham say was never equal to Tom Corey?
3. What advice is given to Silas and Persis Lapham at the end of Chapter Eighteen to handle the situation with Tom Corey?
4. Who does Irene mention frequently in her letters from Dubuque?
5. What does Irene give Penelope after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
2. Describe Anna Corey's visit to the Lapham home in Chapter Twelve.
3. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
4. What is the reaction of Bromfield and Anna Corey to the news that their son loves Penelope rather than Irene Lapham?
5. Why do the Coreys decide to invite the Laphams to dinner if they don't really like them?
6. What opinion does Penelope Lapham give Tom Corey about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
7. What is Persis Lapham's reaction to Tom Corey's revelation when Penelope shares it with her?
8. Describe Silas Lapham's financial status at the end of Chapter Twenty One and how it compares to his financial status at the beginning of the novel?
9. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
10. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)