|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Silas Lapham visits his new house, what does he do there?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Builds a fire to try the chimney.
(c) Reads a book.
(d) Has trysts with Zerilla.
2. Who tells Irene the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her?
(a) Persis Lapham.
(b) Silas Lapham.
(d) Tom Corey.
3. Which member of the Lapham family refuses to attend the Coreys' dinner party?
4. Who sends Irene the Texas newspaper clipping she thought had come from Tom Corey?
(a) An old friend of Persis.
(b) Uncle William.
(c) Uncle James.
(d) Tom's Texas friend Stanton.
5. In Chapter Seventeen, who does Silas Lapham tell his wife he found at their house the previous night?
(a) Zerilla Dewey.
(b) Milton Rogers.
(c) Bromfield Corey.
(d) Tom Corey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Penelope's opinion of the novel she and Tom Corey discuss?
2. What does Charles Bellingham say is the most popular thing to put into a novel?
3. What does Persis Lapham find in Chapter Twenty Two when her husband drops it on the floor?
4. What collateral of Milton Rogers's is Silas Lapham going to sell for what they will fetch in the market?
5. Which of the Laphams is happiest about the Coreys' dinner invitation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of Bromfield and Anna Corey to the news that their son loves Penelope rather than Irene Lapham?
2. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
3. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
4. Which member of the Lapham family does not attend the Corey dinner party and what different reactions do Anna Corey and Persis Lapham have to the absence?
5. What bad news does Walker the bookkeeper deliver to Silas Lapham about Lapham's paint company in Chapter Twenty One?
6. How do the Laphams react to the dinner invitation from the aristocratic Coreys?
7. Why do the Coreys decide to invite the Laphams to dinner if they don't really like them?
8. Describe how Silas Lapham confronts Milton Rogers in Chapter Twenty One and how Rogers responds to that confrontation.
9. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
10. What moral dilemma does Silas Lapham have over Rogers's proposed business deal?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)