|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three?
(a) Zerilla and Moll take Silas and Persis out to lunch.
(b) Zerilla needs help dealing with her drunken husband.
(c) Lapham tells Zerilla's husband to find work.
(d) Moll Millon demands money from Lapham.
2. When Silas Lapham visits his new house, what does he do there?
(a) Has trysts with Zerilla.
(b) Takes a nap.
(c) Builds a fire to try the chimney.
(d) Reads a book.
3. How long does Silas Lapham give Milton Rogers to produce the parties who Rogers claims want to buy the mills?
(a) Twenty four hours.
(b) A month.
(c) A week.
(d) Ten days.
4. What advice is given to Silas and Persis Lapham at the end of Chapter Eighteen to handle the situation with Tom Corey?
(a) To let Penelope have Tom so only Irene suffers.
(b) To fire Tom from the paint business.
(c) To force Tom to marry Irene.
(d) To take Penelope and Irene far away from Tom.
5. Why do Persis and Silas Lapham begin to feel glad their daughter is not engaged to Tom Corey?
(a) The Coreys are rude and snobbish.
(b) So they won't be embarrassed due to their financial losses.
(c) A richer man develops an interest in their daughter.
(d) Tom Corey has bad manners.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom has Silas Lapham purchased mills in Chapter Twenty?
2. When Silas Lapham meets with James Bellingham to discuss buying out another company, what does Bellingham suggest that Lapham do instead?
3. What does Penelope write to Tom Corey?
4. Which guest at the Coreys' dinner party thinks novels are "psychical suicide" and give too much importance to love, love-making, and marriage?
5. How does Anna Corey describe Penelope Lapham to Bromfield Corey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
2. What revelation does Tom Corey make to Penelope Lapham in Chapter Sixteen and what is Penelope's surprising reaction to the news?
3. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
4. What is the reaction of Bromfield and Anna Corey to the news that their son loves Penelope rather than Irene Lapham?
5. What is written on the scrap of paper Persis Lapham retrieves when her husband drops it and what is Silas Lapham's explanation for the paper?
6. Describe Irene's reaction to the news that Tom Corey prefers her plainer sister, Penelope, to her.
7. Describe how Silas Lapham confronts Milton Rogers in Chapter Twenty One and how Rogers responds to that confrontation.
8. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
9. What new business proposition does Milton Rogers bring Silas Lapham in Chapter Twenty Five?
10. What moral dilemma does Silas Lapham have over Rogers's proposed business deal?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)