|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Penelope greet Tom Corey when he visits her home in Chapter Sixteen?
(a) Irene is ill.
(b) Tom asks for her.
(c) Her father is not home at the time.
(d) Irene sends her downstairs as an emissary.
2. From whom has Silas Lapham purchased mills in Chapter Twenty?
(a) Bromfield Corey.
(b) Milton Rogers.
(c) James Bellingham.
(d) Jim Millon.
3. What collateral of Milton Rogers's is Silas Lapham going to sell for what they will fetch in the market?
(a) Rogers's diamond ring.
(b) Rogers's house in the country.
(c) Rogers's gold watch.
(d) Rogers's stocks and his mills.
4. Who does Tom Corey tell Penelope he loves?
(b) Zerilla Dewey.
(c) Moll Millon.
5. What does Irene give Penelope after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her?
(a) A new dress to wear on a date with Tom.
(b) A book of love poems.
(c) A photo of Tom.
(d) All the souvenirs she has collected of Tom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Silas Lapham wear to the Corey dinner that no other man there wears?
2. What note does Penelope send to Tom Corey at the beginning of Chapter Twenty Two?
3. In their determination not to be the first guests to arrive at the Coreys' dinner party, what do the Laphams end up being?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Penelope's opinion of the novel she and Tom Corey discuss?
5. Why does Persis send a note to her husband in Chapter Seventeen asking him to meet her early in the afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
2. Describe the Civil War experiences Silas Lapham relates to the other guests at the Coreys' dinner party.
3. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
4. What is the reaction of Bromfield and Anna Corey to the news that their son loves Penelope rather than Irene Lapham?
5. Describe how Silas Lapham confronts Milton Rogers in Chapter Twenty One and how Rogers responds to that confrontation.
6. What opinion does Persis Lapham cling to about Milton Rogers despite being presented with evidence to the contrary, and what does this indicate about her character?
7. Describe Anna Corey's visit to the Lapham home in Chapter Twelve.
8. What strategies does Silas Lapham consider in Chapter Twenty Three for easing his financial woes?
9. How do the Laphams react to the dinner invitation from the aristocratic Coreys?
10. Where does Irene go after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her, and what do her letters indicate about her activities there?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)