|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Anna Corey visits the Laphams in Chapter Twelve, how does Mrs. Lapham feel about the visit?
(a) Pleased Mrs. Corey finally recognizes her.
(b) Convinced it means the Coreys approve of Irene.
(c) That it can't end soon enough because she hates Anna.
(d) Nervous and uncomfortable and afraid of Mrs. Corey.
2. What collateral of Milton Rogers's is Silas Lapham going to sell for what they will fetch in the market?
(a) Rogers's house in the country.
(b) Rogers's stocks and his mills.
(c) Rogers's gold watch.
(d) Rogers's diamond ring.
3. What note does Penelope send to Tom Corey at the beginning of Chapter Twenty Two?
(a) A note declaring her love for him.
(b) A note telling him to not come see her any more.
(c) A note begging him to elope with her.
(d) A note begging him to court her sister instead.
4. Why does Penelope greet Tom Corey when he visits her home in Chapter Sixteen?
(a) Irene is ill.
(b) Her father is not home at the time.
(c) Tom asks for her.
(d) Irene sends her downstairs as an emissary.
5. Which of the following statements is not something Tom Corey is told about Lapham's paint business in Chapter Twenty One?
(a) Other paint companies are decreasing production.
(b) No wages have ever been cut before at Lapham's.
(c) The fire's never been out in the works.
(d) It is prospering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three?
2. What does Silas Lapham wear to the Corey dinner that no other man there wears?
3. Why do Persis and Silas Lapham begin to feel glad their daughter is not engaged to Tom Corey?
4. What does Charles Bellingham say is the most popular thing to put into a novel?
5. Who does Persis Lapham find crying in Chapter Seventeen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Persis Lapham's reaction to Tom Corey's revelation when Penelope shares it with her?
2. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
3. What is the reaction of Bromfield and Anna Corey to the news that their son loves Penelope rather than Irene Lapham?
4. What moral dilemma does Silas Lapham have over Rogers's proposed business deal?
5. What revelation does Tom Corey make to Penelope Lapham in Chapter Sixteen and what is Penelope's surprising reaction to the news?
6. What bad news does Walker the bookkeeper deliver to Silas Lapham about Lapham's paint company in Chapter Twenty One?
7. What is written on the scrap of paper Persis Lapham retrieves when her husband drops it and what is Silas Lapham's explanation for the paper?
8. What is Tom Corey's reaction when he learns that the Laphams have believed he prefers Irene to Penelope?
9. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
10. Describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerrilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)