|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anna Corey describe Penelope Lapham to Bromfield Corey?
(a) Rude and disgusting.
(b) Very shy and timid.
(c) Sly and completely disagreeable.
(d) Pretty and sweet.
2. What does Silas Lapham wear to the Corey dinner that no other man there wears?
(a) A hat.
(b) A wedding ring.
(c) A cravat.
3. In their determination not to be the first guests to arrive at the Coreys' dinner party, what do the Laphams end up being?
(a) Too anxious and fretful to enjoy themselves at the party.
(b) The second guests to arrive.
(c) The last guests to arrive.
(d) Half an hour late.
4. With whom does Silas Lapham suggest he and his wife discuss the matter of Tom Corey's relationship with their daughters?
(a) Bromfield Corey.
(b) Milton Rogers.
(c) Mr. Sewell.
(d) Anna Corey.
5. Who tells Irene the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her?
(a) Silas Lapham.
(b) Tom Corey.
(c) Persis Lapham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Persis Lapham find crying in Chapter Seventeen?
2. Who does Persis Lapham say was never equal to Tom Corey?
3. With what does Persis Lapham worry Irene will wear herself out?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe the decision Silas Lapham comes to regarding the potential buyers of the mills?
5. With whom is Irene staying in Dubuque?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
2. What is Tom Corey's reaction when he learns that the Laphams have believed he prefers Irene to Penelope?
3. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
4. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
5. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
6. Describe Irene's reaction to the news that Tom Corey prefers her plainer sister, Penelope, to her.
7. What revelation does Tom Corey make to Penelope Lapham in Chapter Sixteen and what is Penelope's surprising reaction to the news?
8. What opinion does Persis Lapham cling to about Milton Rogers despite being presented with evidence to the contrary, and what does this indicate about her character?
9. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
10. Describe how Silas Lapham confronts Milton Rogers in Chapter Twenty One and how Rogers responds to that confrontation.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)