|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Irene mention frequently in her letters from Dubuque?
(a) The fashions in Iowa.
(b) Cousin Will.
(c) Her hatred of Penelope.
(d) Her fear about her father's health.
2. Who defends Milton Rogers to Silas Lapham and refuses to believe Rogers is the swindler he seems to be?
(a) Tom Corey.
(b) Bromfield Corey.
3. What note does Penelope send to Tom Corey at the beginning of Chapter Twenty Two?
(a) A note declaring her love for him.
(b) A note begging him to elope with her.
(c) A note begging him to court her sister instead.
(d) A note telling him to not come see her any more.
4. What is the problem with Lapham's mills?
(a) They aren't making a profit.
(b) They just burned to the ground.
(c) The railroad wants them and Lapham has to take their price.
(d) They are going backrupt.
5. What is the result of Milton Rogers's deadline for bringing the potential buyers of the mills to Silas Lapham's office?
(a) Milton does not produce the English men.
(b) Milton skips town and can't be located.
(c) Milton brings the buyers but they decide not to buy.
(d) Milton brings the buyers and they buy the mills.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three?
2. On what street do the Coreys live?
3. Which guest at the Coreys' dinner party thinks novels are "psychical suicide" and give too much importance to love, love-making, and marriage?
4. How long does Silas Lapham give Milton Rogers to produce the parties who Rogers claims want to buy the mills?
5. What does Persis Lapham fret about after receiving Anna Corey's dinner invitation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
2. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
3. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
4. Describe Silas Lapham's financial status at the end of Chapter Twenty One and how it compares to his financial status at the beginning of the novel?
5. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
6. Describe Anna Corey's visit to the Lapham home in Chapter Twelve.
7. What is Tom Corey's reaction when he learns that the Laphams have believed he prefers Irene to Penelope?
8. What new business proposition does Milton Rogers bring Silas Lapham in Chapter Twenty Five?
9. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
10. What strategies does Silas Lapham consider in Chapter Twenty Three for easing his financial woes?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)