|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anna Corey describe Penelope Lapham to Bromfield Corey?
(a) Sly and completely disagreeable.
(b) Very shy and timid.
(c) Rude and disgusting.
(d) Pretty and sweet.
2. What does Charles Bellingham say is the most popular thing to put into a novel?
(a) Self sacrifice.
(d) Mysteries and secrets.
3. Where is Irene Lapham when Anna Corey visits the Laphams in Chapter Twelve?
(a) In her bedroom ill with a fever.
(b) Visiting Silas at his office.
(c) Visiting an old friend in Salem.
(d) Away from home to get a book.
4. At the beginning of Chapter Twenty Four, who tells Tom Corey how bad Silas Lapham's business troubles are?
(a) Silas Lapham.
(c) James Bellingham, Tom's maternal uncle.
(d) Bromfield Corey.
5. Who sends Irene the Texas newspaper clipping she thought had come from Tom Corey?
(a) Uncle William.
(b) An old friend of Persis.
(c) Uncle James.
(d) Tom's Texas friend Stanton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes the Lapham girls to his mother?
2. What novel do the guests at the Coreys' dinner party discuss?
3. In their determination not to be the first guests to arrive at the Coreys' dinner party, what do the Laphams end up being?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three?
5. With whom is Irene staying in Dubuque?
Short Essay Questions
1. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
2. What bad news does Walker the bookkeeper deliver to Silas Lapham about Lapham's paint company in Chapter Twenty One?
3. Why do the Coreys decide to invite the Laphams to dinner if they don't really like them?
4. Describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerrilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three.
5. Describe how Silas Lapham confronts Milton Rogers in Chapter Twenty One and how Rogers responds to that confrontation.
6. Which member of the Lapham family does not attend the Corey dinner party and what different reactions do Anna Corey and Persis Lapham have to the absence?
7. What destroys Silas Lapham's new house and how does that situation add to Lapham's financial woes?
8. What moral dilemma does Silas Lapham have over Rogers's proposed business deal?
9. Where does Irene go after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her, and what do her letters indicate about her activities there?
10. What is written on the scrap of paper Persis Lapham retrieves when her husband drops it and what is Silas Lapham's explanation for the paper?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)