|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three?
(a) Moll Millon demands money from Lapham.
(b) Zerilla and Moll take Silas and Persis out to lunch.
(c) Zerilla needs help dealing with her drunken husband.
(d) Lapham tells Zerilla's husband to find work.
2. What does Tom Corey try unsuccessfully to convince Penelope of at the end of Chapter Nineteen?
(a) That he and she have done nothing wrong.
(b) That Irene is going to find another lover.
(c) That his parents will accept her.
(d) That their families have a lot in common.
3. In Chapter Twelve, what do the Corey sisters bring back from their summer vacation?
(a) A new housemaid.
(b) Cases of the measles.
(c) New wardrobes.
(d) Studies of kelp & toadstools, rocks & rotten logs.
4. What does Silas Lapham accuse Milton Rogers of being?
(a) A murderer.
(b) A fraud.
(c) A thief.
(d) A sinner.
5. When Lapham apologizes to Tom Corey at the office after the Coreys' dinner party for his behavior at the party, what does Tom blame for the incident?
(a) Lapham's eagerness to seem friendly.
(b) His family's snobbery.
(c) Serving wine to a man not used to drinking it.
(d) His father's potent French wines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles Bellingham say is the most popular thing to put into a novel?
2. Who refers to Silas Lapham as General Lapham instead of by his true title of Colonel Lapham?
3. How do Anna and Bromfield Corey feel about Penelope's behavior toward Tom?
4. Who does Milton Rogers claim might want to buy the mills?
5. With what does Persis Lapham worry Irene will wear herself out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad news does Walker the bookkeeper deliver to Silas Lapham about Lapham's paint company in Chapter Twenty One?
2. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
3. Describe Irene's reaction to the news that Tom Corey prefers her plainer sister, Penelope, to her.
4. What is Tom Corey's reaction when he learns that the Laphams have believed he prefers Irene to Penelope?
5. How do the Laphams react to the dinner invitation from the aristocratic Coreys?
6. What strategies does Silas Lapham consider in Chapter Twenty Three for easing his financial woes?
7. Describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerrilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three.
8. What destroys Silas Lapham's new house and how does that situation add to Lapham's financial woes?
9. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
10. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)