|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Anna Corey visits the Laphams in Chapter Twelve, how does Mrs. Lapham feel about the visit?
(a) That it can't end soon enough because she hates Anna.
(b) Nervous and uncomfortable and afraid of Mrs. Corey.
(c) Convinced it means the Coreys approve of Irene.
(d) Pleased Mrs. Corey finally recognizes her.
2. With what does Persis Lapham worry Irene will wear herself out?
3. How does Anna Corey describe Penelope Lapham to Bromfield Corey?
(a) Very shy and timid.
(b) Pretty and sweet.
(c) Sly and completely disagreeable.
(d) Rude and disgusting.
4. To where does Persis Lapham take Irene at the beginning of Chapter Twenty?
(c) The family farm in Vermont.
5. What is Silas Lapham's response when Persis asks him who Mrs. M is?
(a) He says it's an employee.
(b) He says it's an old school friend.
(c) He says he doesn't know what she means.
(d) He says it's his girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who defends Milton Rogers to Silas Lapham and refuses to believe Rogers is the swindler he seems to be?
2. With whom does Silas Lapham suggest he and his wife discuss the matter of Tom Corey's relationship with their daughters?
3. What does Irene buy at the apothecary?
4. Why does Penelope greet Tom Corey when he visits her home in Chapter Sixteen?
5. Who does Silas Lapham want to talk with his wife about in Chapter Eighteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of Bromfield and Anna Corey to the news that their son loves Penelope rather than Irene Lapham?
2. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
3. Why do the Coreys decide to invite the Laphams to dinner if they don't really like them?
4. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
5. What new business proposition does Milton Rogers bring Silas Lapham in Chapter Twenty Five?
6. What strategies does Silas Lapham consider in Chapter Twenty Three for easing his financial woes?
7. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
8. What revelation does Tom Corey make to Penelope Lapham in Chapter Sixteen and what is Penelope's surprising reaction to the news?
9. Which member of the Lapham family does not attend the Corey dinner party and what different reactions do Anna Corey and Persis Lapham have to the absence?
10. What bad news does Walker the bookkeeper deliver to Silas Lapham about Lapham's paint company in Chapter Twenty One?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)