|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Silas Lapham decide not to sell his new house?
(a) He likes the house.
(b) He decides to buy out the West Virginia company instead.
(c) It symbolizes his success.
(d) He thinks Persis likes the house.
2. What does Silas Lapham wear to the Corey dinner that no other man there wears?
(a) A hat.
(b) A cravat.
(c) A wedding ring.
3. What novel do Tom Corey and Penelope discuss when Tom sees that Penelope is reading it?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Little Women.
(d) Tears, Idle Tears.
4. What competition arises for Silas Lapham's paint business?
(a) An aluminum siding company.
(b) A West Virginia paint company.
(c) A new quick drying paint.
(d) A Canadian paint company.
5. From whom has Silas Lapham purchased mills in Chapter Twenty?
(a) James Bellingham.
(b) Bromfield Corey.
(c) Jim Millon.
(d) Milton Rogers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lapham apologizes to Tom Corey at the office after the Coreys' dinner party for his behavior at the party, what does Tom blame for the incident?
2. What does Silas Lapham decide to shut down in Chapter Twenty Three?
3. Which of the Laphams is happiest about the Coreys' dinner invitation?
4. When Silas Lapham visits his new house, what does he do there?
5. Why does Penelope greet Tom Corey when he visits her home in Chapter Sixteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
2. Where does Irene go after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her, and what do her letters indicate about her activities there?
3. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
4. What destroys Silas Lapham's new house and how does that situation add to Lapham's financial woes?
5. What opinion does Persis Lapham cling to about Milton Rogers despite being presented with evidence to the contrary, and what does this indicate about her character?
6. What is Persis Lapham's reaction to Tom Corey's revelation when Penelope shares it with her?
7. What is Tom Corey's reaction when he learns that the Laphams have believed he prefers Irene to Penelope?
8. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
9. What new business proposition does Milton Rogers bring Silas Lapham in Chapter Twenty Five?
10. What revelation does Tom Corey make to Penelope Lapham in Chapter Sixteen and what is Penelope's surprising reaction to the news?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)