|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Nine, who suggests inviting the Laphams to dinner?
(a) Bromfield Corey.
(b) Nanny Corey.
(c) Anna Corey.
(d) Mr. Sewell.
2. To where does Silas Lapham want to take Bromfield Corey for a fish dinner?
(b) His Vermont farm.
(c) His home in Nankeen Square.
(d) A French restaurant in Manhattan.
3. When Irene Lapham receives a newspaper clipping from Texas, who does she think has sent it to her?
(a) Anna Corey.
(b) Tom Corey.
(c) Kyle Rohden.
(d) Teddy Lindner.
4. Which member of the Lapham family has been reading the novel Tom Corey sees on the Lapham parlor table?
5. What do Irene Lapham and Tom Corey talk about all evening when Tom visits the Lapham home in Chapter Eleven?
(b) Mineral paints.
(c) Getting married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of gambling does Silas Lapham tell his wife he has been doing in Chapter Ten?
2. What does Silas Lapham send Bartley Hubbard's wife as a present at the end of Chapter One?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham's appearance?
4. In what series of articles is the newspaper going to feature an article on Silas Lapham?
5. Silas Lapham believes Tom Corey's sole interest is the mineral paint business, but what does Persis Lapham believe has also captured Tom's interest?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tom Corey comes to their new home's construction site, why do the Laphams leave him alone with Irene?
2. Describe Lapham's financial situation in Chapter Nine.
3. In what different ways do Silas Lapham and Persis Lapham react to Bromfield Corey's visit to Silas Lapham's office?
4. What do Tom Corey and his father find unusual about the beverages the Laphams drink and Mrs. Lapham's social entertaining?
5. How does Penelope react to Tom Corey's visits in Chapter Eleven, and what does her behavior indicate?
6. What is Anna Corey's reaction to her son's decision to go into the mineral paint business?
7. How has Persis Lapham supported her husband and his business over the years and how does Lapham honor her for her support?
8. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
9. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
10. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)