|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham's appearance?
(a) She has a dark complexion and curly hair.
(b) She has red hair like her father.
(c) Her eyes are at once intense and tender.
(d) She has blue eyes.
2. Which member of the Corey family does Silas Lapham tell Persis he wants to meet?
(c) Bromfield, Tom's father.
3. What does Anna Corey wish her son had done instead of join Silas Lapham's paint business?
(a) Join the army.
(b) Write a novel.
(c) Get married.
(d) Take a European tour like Bromfield did in his youth.
4. Who does Silas Lapham credit for his Christian upbringing?
(a) His older sister.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
5. Where was Silas Lapham born?
(a) On a farm in Vermont.
(b) In New Orleans.
(c) On a boat on the Mississippi River.
(d) In a Philadelphia slum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes Silas Lapham to his father?
2. In Chapter Four, with whom does Silas Lapham sit in the frame of a bay window at the construction site of the family's new Beacon Street house?
3. In Chapter Three, who do Silas and Persis Lapham run into while visiting the construction site of their new home?
4. Why does Persis Lapham discourage her husband from bringing Tom Corey home with him?
5. How many daughters do Silas and Persis Lapham have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anna Corey's reaction to her son's decision to go into the mineral paint business?
2. Why does Silas Lapham decide to build a new house?
3. What kind of girl does Bromfield Corey think his son Tom should marry, and how do the Lapham girls compare to Bromfield's ideal daughter-in-law?
4. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
5. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
6. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
7. What arguments does Anna Corey give her husband for opposing their son's marriage to Silas Lapham's daughter?
8. How does Silas Lapham feel about having Tom Corey work for him, and how does he feel about Tom's work?
9. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
10. In what different ways do Silas Lapham and Persis Lapham react to Bromfield Corey's visit to Silas Lapham's office?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)