|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of gambling does Silas Lapham tell his wife he has been doing in Chapter Ten?
(a) Playing poker.
(b) Betting on horses.
(c) Playing roulette.
(d) Playing the stock market.
2. Which relative has Tom Corey consulted in addition to his father about the merits of joining Lapham's mineral paint business?
(a) His sister nanny.
(b) His maternal Uncle Jim.
(c) His paternal grandfather.
(d) His maternal grandmother.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham?
(a) She prefers housekeeping to studying.
(b) She is beautiful.
(c) She spends her leisure time shopping
(d) She is an intellectual with a college degree.
4. When Irene Lapham receives a newspaper clipping from Texas, who does she think has sent it to her?
(a) Tom Corey.
(b) Anna Corey.
(c) Teddy Lindner.
(d) Kyle Rohden.
5. To where does Silas Lapham want to take Bromfield Corey for a fish dinner?
(a) A French restaurant in Manhattan.
(b) His home in Nankeen Square.
(d) His Vermont farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the Lapham family lived in their Boston home?
2. While conversing with his mother in Chapter Eight, what does Tom Corey tell his mother about Penelope Lapham?
3. Silas Lapham believes Tom Corey's sole interest is the mineral paint business, but what does Persis Lapham believe has also captured Tom's interest?
4. Who comes to the Lapham home on Nankeen Square to see if Silas Lapham is ill when Lapham doesn't show up at work?
5. In Chapter Nine, who thinks the Lapham family is below the Corey family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
2. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
3. What is Anna Corey's reaction to her son's decision to go into the mineral paint business?
4. What do Tom Corey and his father find unusual about the beverages the Laphams drink and Mrs. Lapham's social entertaining?
5. What indication is there in Chapter Ten that Tom Corey might prefer Penelope Lapham over her sister Irene?
6. What aspect of Tom Corey's life does Silas Lapham disapprove of, and what action does Lapham think it would take to improve Corey?
7. How has Persis Lapham supported her husband and his business over the years and how does Lapham honor her for her support?
8. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
9. When Tom Corey comes to their new home's construction site, why do the Laphams leave him alone with Irene?
10. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)