|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Persis Lapham try unsuccessfully to get her husband to understand at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) The Coreys hate Silas.
(b) The Coreys hate Irene.
(c) Irene loves Tom.
(d) The Coreys think they are higher socially than the Laphams.
2. In Chapter Two, who sends Persis Lapham a lithographed circular soliciting for donations to a charity?
(a) Anna Corey.
(b) Mr. Sewell.
(c) The governor's wife.
(d) Her daughter's teacher.
3. In what city does the novel open?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
4. When Irene Lapham receives a newspaper clipping from Texas, who does she think has sent it to her?
(a) Tom Corey.
(b) Teddy Lindner.
(c) Anna Corey.
(d) Kyle Rohden.
5. Where was Silas Lapham born?
(a) In a Philadelphia slum.
(b) On a farm in Vermont.
(c) On a boat on the Mississippi River.
(d) In New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Nine, who thinks the Lapham family is below the Corey family?
2. Which of the following statements accurately describes the financial situation of the Lapham family and the Corey family?
3. How many daughters do Silas and Persis Lapham have?
4. Which member of the Lapham family has been reading the novel Tom Corey sees on the Lapham parlor table?
5. Which member of the Corey family does Silas Lapham tell Persis he wants to meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Laphams considered deficient in social graces?
2. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
3. What aspect of Tom Corey's life does Silas Lapham disapprove of, and what action does Lapham think it would take to improve Corey?
4. What happens in Chapter Ten when Milton Rogers asks Silas Lapham for a loan, and how does Persis Lapham feel about the situation?
5. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
6. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
7. What indication is there in Chapter Ten that Tom Corey might prefer Penelope Lapham over her sister Irene?
8. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
9. What is Anna Corey's reaction to her son's decision to go into the mineral paint business?
10. Describe Tom Corey's discussion with his mother in Chapter Eight about his entering Silas Lapham's paint business.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)