|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham?
(a) She is an intellectual with a college degree.
(b) She is beautiful.
(c) She spends her leisure time shopping
(d) She prefers housekeeping to studying.
2. Which member of the Corey family is ill when they first meet the Laphams?
(a) Tom Corey.
(b) Nanny Corey.
(c) Bromfield Corey.
(d) Anna Corey.
3. Why does Persis Lapham call her husband the Colonel?
(a) Silas Lapham is rigid and disciplined like an army officer.
(b) Silas Lapham was a colonel in the Civil War.
(c) Silas Lapham reminds her of her father, an army colonel.
(d) Silas Lapham was a colonel in the Revolutionary War.
4. Where are the Laphams traveling when they meet another Boston family, the rich and fashionable Coreys?
5. What does Tom Corey tell his father in Chapter Eleven that Mrs. Lapham has never done, a fact the Coreys find unusual given the Lapham wealth?
(a) She has never given a dinner.
(b) She has never attended the opera.
(c) She has never bought a real diamond necklace.
(d) She has never patronized a charity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Persis Lapham discourage her husband from bringing Tom Corey home with him?
2. While conversing with his mother in Chapter Eight, what does Tom Corey tell his mother about Penelope Lapham?
3. Silas Lapham believes Tom Corey's sole interest is the mineral paint business, but what does Persis Lapham believe has also captured Tom's interest?
4. Who first discovers Silas Lapham's paint mine?
5. Which member of the Lapham family has been reading the novel Tom Corey sees on the Lapham parlor table?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
2. What aspect of Tom Corey's life does Silas Lapham disapprove of, and what action does Lapham think it would take to improve Corey?
3. How has Persis Lapham supported her husband and his business over the years and how does Lapham honor her for her support?
4. Describe Lapham's financial situation in Chapter Nine.
5. What happens in Chapter Ten when Milton Rogers asks Silas Lapham for a loan, and how does Persis Lapham feel about the situation?
6. When Tom Corey comes to their new home's construction site, why do the Laphams leave him alone with Irene?
7. What do Tom Corey and his father find unusual about the beverages the Laphams drink and Mrs. Lapham's social entertaining?
8. What different opinions do Silas and Persis Lapham have in Chapter Seven for why Tom Corey visits them?
9. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
10. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)