|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business does Silas Lapham buy before his paint business takes off?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A saloon.
(c) A bank.
(d) A hotel.
2. In Chapter Nine, while Tom Corey discusses Middlemarch with her, with what does Irene seem engrossed?
(a) Her new silk gown.
(b) Embroidering a cushion.
(c) Dusting a windowsill with her gloved fingers.
(d) Trapping a pine shaving with the point of her parasol.
3. Which of the following statements does not appear in the description of Silas Lapham that Bartley Hubbard writes for his newspaper article?
(a) He is bald and walks with a cane.
(b) He is of medium height.
(c) His nose is short and straight.
(d) He has a square, bold chin and a short, reddish-gray beard.
4. At the beginning of Chapter Eleven, who does Tom Corey suggest his father meet?
(a) Penelope Lapham.
(b) Irene Lapham.
(c) Silas Lapham.
(d) Mr. Sewell.
5. Where does Silas Lapham decide to build a new more fashionable home?
(a) Downtown New York.
(b) In London.
(c) On the beach.
(d) His Back Bay property.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Three, who do Silas and Persis Lapham run into while visiting the construction site of their new home?
2. How many daughters do Silas and Persis Lapham have?
3. What does Irene ask Tom Corey to suggest for the new room in the Laphams' Beacon Street home?
4. What does Anna Corey think of the Lapham family borrowing books from the public library?
5. Why do the Laphams come to believe their home in Boston is in an unfashionable neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
2. What do Tom Corey and his father find unusual about the beverages the Laphams drink and Mrs. Lapham's social entertaining?
3. Why does Silas Lapham decide to build a new house?
4. What happens in Chapter Ten when Milton Rogers asks Silas Lapham for a loan, and how does Persis Lapham feel about the situation?
5. What kind of girl does Bromfield Corey think his son Tom should marry, and how do the Lapham girls compare to Bromfield's ideal daughter-in-law?
6. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
7. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
8. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
9. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
10. How does Penelope react to Tom Corey's visits in Chapter Eleven, and what does her behavior indicate?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)