|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Silas Lapham decide to build a new more fashionable home?
(a) In London.
(b) Downtown New York.
(c) On the beach.
(d) His Back Bay property.
2. What do the Lapham sisters think their father does too much when Tom Corey visits the site of their new house in Chapter Four and receives a tour of the Beacon Street house from Silas?
3. What physical ailment has Irene developed in Chapter Six?
(a) A cold.
(b) A headache.
(d) A broken arm.
4. What does Anna Corey mean when she says there is no need for Tom to earn a living either through work or marriage?
(a) He has won the Massachusetts Lottery.
(b) He is a thief and can steal what he needs to live on.
(c) He is wealthy and can live off his wealth.
(d) He can live in a commune where money has no value.
5. What does Anna Corey wish her son had done instead of join Silas Lapham's paint business?
(a) Take a European tour like Bromfield did in his youth.
(b) Get married.
(c) Join the army.
(d) Write a novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room does Irene tell Tom Corey the Laphams will have in their new Beacon Street home?
2. What does Silas Lapham tell Persis he doesn't like about Tom Corey?
3. What subject does Tom avoid while talking with his mother in Chapter Eight?
4. Who first discovers Silas Lapham's paint mine?
5. In Chapter Nine, while Tom Corey discusses Middlemarch with her, with what does Irene seem engrossed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what different ways do Silas Lapham and Persis Lapham react to Bromfield Corey's visit to Silas Lapham's office?
2. What different opinions are expressed by the guests at the Coreys' dinner party about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
3. What opinion does Anna Corey form of Penelope Lapham during her visit with Persis and Penelope?
4. Describe Irene's reaction to the news that Tom Corey prefers her plainer sister, Penelope, to her.
5. What is Anna Corey's reaction to her son's decision to go into the mineral paint business?
6. Describe the business deal Silas Lapham and Milton Rogers make regarding the mills.
7. What is Tom Corey's reaction when he learns that the Laphams have believed he prefers Irene to Penelope?
8. What is written on the scrap of paper Persis Lapham retrieves when her husband drops it and what is Silas Lapham's explanation for the paper?
9. Why does Silas Lapham decide to build a new house?
10. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)