|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Irene refuses to join Tom Corey and her family for tea in Chapter Six, what is her mother's reaction?
(a) Persis slaps Irene.
(b) Persis forces Irene to join everyone for tea regardless.
(c) Persis locks Irene in her room.
(d) Persis insists that Irene join everyone in the parlor later.
2. What subject does Tom avoid while talking with his mother in Chapter Eight?
(a) Working for a living.
(b) Irene Lapham.
(c) Penelope Lapham.
(d) Traveling to Europe.
3. What does Anna Corey mean when she says there is no need for Tom to earn a living either through work or marriage?
(a) He is wealthy and can live off his wealth.
(b) He is a thief and can steal what he needs to live on.
(c) He has won the Massachusetts Lottery.
(d) He can live in a commune where money has no value.
4. When Tom Corey approaches Silas Lapham about joining his business, how does Lapham try to treat young Corey?
(a) Like a good friend.
(b) Like a future son-in-law.
(c) Like just another worker seeking employment.
(d) Like a son.
5. Where does Silas Lapham decide to build a new more fashionable home?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In London.
(c) His Back Bay property.
(d) Downtown New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets the boat with a carriage and driver to take Silas Lapham and Tom Corey home?
2. What kind of gambling does Silas Lapham tell his wife he has been doing in Chapter Ten?
3. Who comes to the Lapham home on Nankeen Square to see if Silas Lapham is ill when Lapham doesn't show up at work?
4. In Chapter Four, with whom does Silas Lapham sit in the frame of a bay window at the construction site of the family's new Beacon Street house?
5. Why does Persis Lapham call her husband the Colonel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What destroys Silas Lapham's new house and how does that situation add to Lapham's financial woes?
2. How does Penelope react to Tom Corey's visits in Chapter Eleven, and what does her behavior indicate?
3. What information is revealed about Zerrilla Dewey in Chapter Eight and what does Walker the bookkeeper seem to imply about her relationship with Silas Lapham?
4. Where does Irene go after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her, and what do her letters indicate about her activities there?
5. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
6. Describe Anna Corey's visit to the Lapham home in Chapter Twelve.
7. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
8. Which member of the Lapham family does not attend the Corey dinner party and what different reactions do Anna Corey and Persis Lapham have to the absence?
9. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
10. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)