|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements accurately describes the financial situation of the Lapham family and the Corey family?
(a) The Coreys have a lot more money than the Laphams.
(b) The Laphams have a little more money than the Coreys.
(c) The Laphams have a lot more money than the Coreys.
(d) Both families have an equal amount of money.
2. To whom does Silas Lapham loan money in Chapter Ten?
(a) Tom Corey.
(b) Bromfield Corey.
(c) Mr. Sewell.
(d) Milton Rogers.
3. How many daughters do Silas and Persis Lapham have?
4. What does Silas Lapham tell Persis he doesn't like about Tom Corey?
(a) Tom is snobbish and condescending.
(b) Tom lives off his father instead of supporting himself.
(c) Tom doesn't show respect for the mineral paint business.
(d) Tom is too young to marry one of their daughters.
5. What does Irene ask Tom Corey to suggest for the new room in the Laphams' Beacon Street home?
(a) Art work.
(b) A piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Nine, while Tom Corey discusses Middlemarch with her, with what does Irene seem engrossed?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham?
3. What kind of business does Silas Lapham buy before his paint business takes off?
4. Why does Persis Lapham discourage her husband from bringing Tom Corey home with him?
5. In Chapter Nine, who suggests inviting the Laphams to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does Anna Corey give her husband for opposing their son's marriage to Silas Lapham's daughter?
2. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
3. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
4. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
5. Describe Lapham's financial situation in Chapter Nine.
6. How has Persis Lapham supported her husband and his business over the years and how does Lapham honor her for her support?
7. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
8. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
9. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
10. What indication is there in Chapter Ten that Tom Corey might prefer Penelope Lapham over her sister Irene?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)