|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Silas Lapham born?
(a) In New Orleans.
(b) On a farm in Vermont.
(c) In a Philadelphia slum.
(d) On a boat on the Mississippi River.
2. When Tom Corey comes to the Lapham home for a second visit in Chapter Eleven, about whom does he ask Irene?
(c) Mr. Sewell.
3. While conversing with his mother in Chapter Eight, what does Tom Corey tell his mother about Penelope Lapham?
(a) That she's pretty.
(b) That she's fashionable.
(c) That she's smart.
(d) That she's humorous.
4. On what street is the Lapham family's Boston home located?
(a) Fifth Avenue.
(b) Rodeo Drive.
(c) Main Street.
(d) Nankeen Square.
5. At the beginning of Chapter Eleven, who does Tom Corey suggest his father meet?
(a) Mr. Sewell.
(b) Penelope Lapham.
(c) Irene Lapham.
(d) Silas Lapham.
Short Answer Questions
1. To how much does Persis Lapham limit her husband's spending on their new home?
2. In Chapter Five, what business does Tom Corey tell his father he wants to go into?
3. Which member of the Lapham family is left alone with Tom Corey when he visits the site of their new Beacon Street house in Chapter Four?
4. What physical ailment has Irene developed in Chapter Six?
5. For whom does Silas Lapham name his top brand of paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
2. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
3. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
4. What indication is there in Chapter Ten that Tom Corey might prefer Penelope Lapham over her sister Irene?
5. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
6. Why are the Laphams considered deficient in social graces?
7. What different opinions do Silas and Persis Lapham have in Chapter Seven for why Tom Corey visits them?
8. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
9. Describe Tom Corey's discussion with his mother in Chapter Eight about his entering Silas Lapham's paint business.
10. What happens in Chapter Ten when Milton Rogers asks Silas Lapham for a loan, and how does Persis Lapham feel about the situation?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)