|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham's appearance?
(a) Her eyes are at once intense and tender.
(b) She has red hair like her father.
(c) She has blue eyes.
(d) She has a dark complexion and curly hair.
2. What does Anna Corey think of the Lapham family borrowing books from the public library?
(a) That it makes them common.
(b) That it shows theit interest in literature.
(c) That it shows their ignorance of literature.
(d) That it shows how frugal they are.
3. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes Silas Lapham to his father?
(a) He's simple-hearted and wholesome.
(b) He is intelligent and articulate.
(c) His range of ideas is limited.
(d) He brags about being able to spend money.
4. How old is Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
5. What is Anna Corey's reaction when her husband Bromfield tells her their son has decided to join Silas Lapham's paint business?
(a) She insists Bromfield should have stopped the boy.
(b) She demands that Tom leave Lapham's employ at once.
(c) She faints.
(d) She is elated Tom will be doing honest work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Silas Lapham decide to build a new more fashionable home?
2. When Tom Corey approaches Silas Lapham about joining his business, how does Lapham try to treat young Corey?
3. Why do the Laphams come to believe their home in Boston is in an unfashionable neighborhood?
4. In Chapter Nine, who thinks the Lapham family is below the Corey family?
5. To how much does Persis Lapham limit her husband's spending on their new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of girl does Bromfield Corey think his son Tom should marry, and how do the Lapham girls compare to Bromfield's ideal daughter-in-law?
2. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
3. Describe Lapham's financial situation in Chapter Nine.
4. What arguments does Anna Corey give her husband for opposing their son's marriage to Silas Lapham's daughter?
5. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
6. What happens in Chapter Ten when Milton Rogers asks Silas Lapham for a loan, and how does Persis Lapham feel about the situation?
7. Why do the Coreys consider themselves "better" than the Laphams, and what virtues does Silas Lapham possess that the Coreys do not?
8. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
9. When Tom Corey comes to their new home's construction site, why do the Laphams leave him alone with Irene?
10. Why are the Laphams considered deficient in social graces?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)