|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bromfield Corey visit Silas Lapham in Chapter Eleven?
(a) At Lapham's Vermont farm.
(b) At Lapham's office.
(c) At the Taft seafood restaurant.
(d) At the construction site of Lapham's Beacon Street home.
2. Who meets the boat with a carriage and driver to take Silas Lapham and Tom Corey home?
(a) Persis Lapham.
(b) Irene Lapham.
(c) Mr. Sewell.
(d) Penelope Lapham.
3. In Chapter Five, what business does Tom Corey tell his father he wants to go into?
(a) Real estate.
(b) Lapham's mineral paint business.
4. Which of the following statements does not appear in the description of Silas Lapham that Bartley Hubbard writes for his newspaper article?
(a) He is bald and walks with a cane.
(b) His nose is short and straight.
(c) He is of medium height.
(d) He has a square, bold chin and a short, reddish-gray beard.
5. What does Tom Corey overhear Silas Lapham advising his pretty typist to do?
(a) Get a divorce.
(b) Try his family doctor for her insomnia.
(c) Move to a new part of town.
(d) Get a new job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Silas Lapham believes Tom Corey's sole interest is the mineral paint business, but what does Persis Lapham believe has also captured Tom's interest?
2. Whose death brings sorrow to the early years of the Lapham marriage?
3. What does Tom Corey tell his father in Chapter Eleven that Mrs. Lapham has never done, a fact the Coreys find unusual given the Lapham wealth?
4. What newspaper has sent reporter Bartley Hubard to interview Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
5. How old is Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Silas Lapham feel about having Tom Corey work for him, and how does he feel about Tom's work?
2. Why are the Laphams considered deficient in social graces?
3. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
4. Describe Tom Corey's discussion with his mother in Chapter Eight about his entering Silas Lapham's paint business.
5. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
6. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
7. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
8. What kind of girl does Bromfield Corey think his son Tom should marry, and how do the Lapham girls compare to Bromfield's ideal daughter-in-law?
9. What aspect of Tom Corey's life does Silas Lapham disapprove of, and what action does Lapham think it would take to improve Corey?
10. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)