|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Silas Lapham stay home the day after Bromfield Corey's visit in Chapter Eleven?
(a) He has caught pneumonia from Bromfield.
(b) He's too excited and upset by the visit to go to work.
(c) Persis Lapham is ill and needs his assistance at home.
(d) He is having an affair with Zerilla Dewey.
2. Where does Silas Lapham decide to build a new more fashionable home?
(a) On the beach.
(b) Downtown New York.
(c) In London.
(d) His Back Bay property.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham?
(a) She is an intellectual with a college degree.
(b) She spends her leisure time shopping
(c) She prefers housekeeping to studying.
(d) She is beautiful.
4. What kind of business does Silas Lapham buy before his paint business takes off?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A saloon.
(d) A bank.
5. Where are the Laphams traveling when they meet another Boston family, the rich and fashionable Coreys?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Corey overhear Silas Lapham advising his pretty typist to do?
2. What does Anna Corey think of the Lapham family borrowing books from the public library?
3. Which member of the Lapham family has been reading the novel Tom Corey sees on the Lapham parlor table?
4. In what series of articles is the newspaper going to feature an article on Silas Lapham?
5. What room does Irene tell Tom Corey the Laphams will have in their new Beacon Street home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Coreys consider themselves "better" than the Laphams, and what virtues does Silas Lapham possess that the Coreys do not?
2. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
3. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
4. What kind of girl does Bromfield Corey think his son Tom should marry, and how do the Lapham girls compare to Bromfield's ideal daughter-in-law?
5. How does Penelope react to Tom Corey's visits in Chapter Eleven, and what does her behavior indicate?
6. What do Tom Corey and his father find unusual about the beverages the Laphams drink and Mrs. Lapham's social entertaining?
7. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
8. What indication is there in Chapter Ten that Tom Corey might prefer Penelope Lapham over her sister Irene?
9. What is Anna Corey's reaction to her son's decision to go into the mineral paint business?
10. Describe Lapham's financial situation in Chapter Nine.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)