Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After giving Tom Corey a history of the paint, where does Silas Lapham suggest the young man come to finish their business talk?
(a) The Lapham cottage in Nantasket.
(b) New York.
(c) Bar Harbor.
(d) A restaurant in downtown Boston.
2. Where does Tom Corey visit his mother and sisters in Chapter Six?
(b) Cape Cod.
(d) Bar Harbour.
3. What does Tom Corey overhear Silas Lapham advising his pretty typist to do?
(a) Move to a new part of town.
(b) Try his family doctor for her insomnia.
(c) Get a divorce.
(d) Get a new job.
4. Who meets the boat with a carriage and driver to take Silas Lapham and Tom Corey home?
(a) Mr. Sewell.
(b) Irene Lapham.
(c) Persis Lapham.
(d) Penelope Lapham.
5. Why does Penelope Lapham think Tom Corey and Irene Lapham need to spend more time alone?
(a) She thinks it will help them figure out if they like each other.
(b) She thinks they are in love and want more time alone.
(c) She needs the time alone with her own boyfriend.
(d) She wants Irene to get in trouble with their parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical ailment has Irene developed in Chapter Six?
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham?
3. Which member of the Lapham family is left alone with Tom Corey when he visits the site of their new Beacon Street house in Chapter Four?
4. Which member of the Corey family is ill when they first meet the Laphams?
5. For whom does Silas Lapham name his top brand of paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Irene's reaction to the news that Tom Corey prefers her plainer sister, Penelope, to her.
2. What bad news does Walker the bookkeeper deliver to Silas Lapham about Lapham's paint company in Chapter Twenty One?
3. What moral dilemma does Silas Lapham have over Rogers's proposed business deal?
4. What information is revealed about Zerrilla Dewey in Chapter Eight and what does Walker the bookkeeper seem to imply about her relationship with Silas Lapham?
5. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
6. Describe the Civil War experiences Silas Lapham relates to the other guests at the Coreys' dinner party.
7. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
8. Describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerrilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three.
9. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
10. Describe Anna Corey's visit to the Lapham home in Chapter Twelve.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)