|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the Lapham family lived in their Boston home?
(a) Twenty five years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
2. Why does Anna Corey think Tom's marriage to Irene Lapham would be worse than his joining the Lapham paint business?
(a) Silas Lapham would be his father-in-law.
(b) Persis Lapham would be his mother-in-law.
(c) Irene is not pretty.
(d) Irene is dull.
3. In Chapter Nine, who suggests inviting the Laphams to dinner?
(a) Mr. Sewell.
(b) Bromfield Corey.
(c) Anna Corey.
(d) Nanny Corey.
4. In Chapter Nine, who thinks the Lapham family is below the Corey family?
(a) Irene Lapham.
(b) Tom Corey.
(c) Bromfield Corey.
(d) Silas Lapham.
5. Which member of the Corey family is ill when they first meet the Laphams?
(a) Bromfield Corey.
(b) Nanny Corey.
(c) Tom Corey.
(d) Anna Corey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why hasn't Bromfield Corey seen Bartley Hubbard's article in The Events about Silas Lapham?
2. What kind of business does Silas Lapham buy before his paint business takes off?
3. What physical ailment has Irene developed in Chapter Six?
4. What does Tom Corey tell his mother the Laphams like to do more than read?
5. In what city does the novel open?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
2. Why are the Laphams considered deficient in social graces?
3. How has Persis Lapham supported her husband and his business over the years and how does Lapham honor her for her support?
4. Describe Tom Corey's discussion with his mother in Chapter Eight about his entering Silas Lapham's paint business.
5. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
6. Why does Silas Lapham decide to build a new house?
7. What aspect of Tom Corey's life does Silas Lapham disapprove of, and what action does Lapham think it would take to improve Corey?
8. Describe Lapham's financial situation in Chapter Nine.
9. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
10. What different opinions do Silas and Persis Lapham have in Chapter Seven for why Tom Corey visits them?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)