|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna Corey think of the Lapham family borrowing books from the public library?
(a) That it shows how frugal they are.
(b) That it shows theit interest in literature.
(c) That it shows their ignorance of literature.
(d) That it makes them common.
2. In what city does the novel open?
(b) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
3. What does Silas Lapham send Bartley Hubbard's wife as a present at the end of Chapter One?
(a) A new horse.
(b) A bouquet of red roses.
(c) Jars of his Persis Brand paint.
(d) A bottle of French perfume.
4. What does Tom Corey tell his father in Chapter Eleven that Mrs. Lapham has never done, a fact the Coreys find unusual given the Lapham wealth?
(a) She has never bought a real diamond necklace.
(b) She has never patronized a charity.
(c) She has never attended the opera.
(d) She has never given a dinner.
5. Silas Lapham believes Tom Corey's sole interest is the mineral paint business, but what does Persis Lapham believe has also captured Tom's interest?
(a) The Lapham family's hospitality.
(d) Silas Lapham's work ethic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna Corey mean when she says there is no need for Tom to earn a living either through work or marriage?
2. In what series of articles is the newspaper going to feature an article on Silas Lapham?
3. What physical ailment has Irene developed in Chapter Six?
4. Which relative has Tom Corey consulted in addition to his father about the merits of joining Lapham's mineral paint business?
5. In Chapter Five, what business does Tom Corey tell his father he wants to go into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silas Lapham decide to build a new house?
2. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
3. How does Penelope react to Tom Corey's visits in Chapter Eleven, and what does her behavior indicate?
4. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
5. What indication is there in Chapter Ten that Tom Corey might prefer Penelope Lapham over her sister Irene?
6. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
7. How does Silas Lapham feel about having Tom Corey work for him, and how does he feel about Tom's work?
8. In what different ways do Silas Lapham and Persis Lapham react to Bromfield Corey's visit to Silas Lapham's office?
9. Describe Tom Corey's discussion with his mother in Chapter Eight about his entering Silas Lapham's paint business.
10. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)