|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements accurately describes the financial situation of the Lapham family and the Corey family?
(a) Both families have an equal amount of money.
(b) The Laphams have a lot more money than the Coreys.
(c) The Laphams have a little more money than the Coreys.
(d) The Coreys have a lot more money than the Laphams.
2. In Chapter Two, who sends Persis Lapham a lithographed circular soliciting for donations to a charity?
(a) The governor's wife.
(b) Her daughter's teacher.
(c) Mr. Sewell.
(d) Anna Corey.
3. What business idea does Tom Corey first propose to Silas Lapham in Chapter Six?
(a) A partnership in Lapham's company.
(b) Starting a branch of Lapham's company in Maine.
(c) Investing capital in Lapham's company.
(d) Expanding into the construction business.
4. What physical ailment has Irene developed in Chapter Six?
(b) A headache.
(c) A broken arm.
(d) A cold.
5. What does Persis Lapham try unsuccessfully to get her husband to understand at the end of Chapter Nine?
(a) The Coreys think they are higher socially than the Laphams.
(b) Irene loves Tom.
(c) The Coreys hate Irene.
(d) The Coreys hate Silas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna Corey's reaction when her husband Bromfield tells her their son has decided to join Silas Lapham's paint business?
2. In Chapter Nine, who thinks the Lapham family is below the Corey family?
3. Where does Bromfield Corey visit Silas Lapham in Chapter Eleven?
4. What does Anna Corey mean when she says there is no need for Tom to earn a living either through work or marriage?
5. What does Tom Corey tell his father in Chapter Eleven that Mrs. Lapham has never done, a fact the Coreys find unusual given the Lapham wealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Silas Lapham feel about having Tom Corey work for him, and how does he feel about Tom's work?
2. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
3. How does Penelope react to Tom Corey's visits in Chapter Eleven, and what does her behavior indicate?
4. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
5. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
6. What kind of girl does Bromfield Corey think his son Tom should marry, and how do the Lapham girls compare to Bromfield's ideal daughter-in-law?
7. What happens in Chapter Ten when Milton Rogers asks Silas Lapham for a loan, and how does Persis Lapham feel about the situation?
8. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
9. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
10. What is Anna Corey's reaction to her son's decision to go into the mineral paint business?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)