|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Irene Lapham and Tom Corey talk about all evening when Tom visits the Lapham home in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Mineral paints.
(c) Getting married.
2. What does Anna Corey wish her son had done instead of join Silas Lapham's paint business?
(a) Get married.
(b) Write a novel.
(c) Take a European tour like Bromfield did in his youth.
(d) Join the army.
3. Which member of the Corey family is ill when they first meet the Laphams?
(a) Anna Corey.
(b) Tom Corey.
(c) Bromfield Corey.
(d) Nanny Corey.
4. Why does Silas Lapham stay home the day after Bromfield Corey's visit in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Persis Lapham is ill and needs his assistance at home.
(b) He has caught pneumonia from Bromfield.
(c) He is having an affair with Zerilla Dewey.
(d) He's too excited and upset by the visit to go to work.
5. What business idea does Tom Corey propose to Silas Lapham that meets with Lapham's approval?
(a) Taking the paint to foreign countries like Mexico.
(b) Increasing the company's advertising.
(c) Lowering the price on his products.
(d) Adding a cheaper line of paint.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Penelope Lapham think Tom Corey and Irene Lapham need to spend more time alone?
2. What kind of gambling does Silas Lapham tell his wife he has been doing in Chapter Ten?
3. When Tom Corey approaches Silas Lapham about joining his business, how does Lapham try to treat young Corey?
4. After giving Tom Corey a history of the paint, where does Silas Lapham suggest the young man come to finish their business talk?
5. In Chapter Nine, who thinks the Lapham family is below the Corey family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Coreys consider themselves "better" than the Laphams, and what virtues does Silas Lapham possess that the Coreys do not?
2. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
3. How has Persis Lapham supported her husband and his business over the years and how does Lapham honor her for her support?
4. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
5. In what different ways do Silas Lapham and Persis Lapham react to Bromfield Corey's visit to Silas Lapham's office?
6. Describe Lapham's financial situation in Chapter Nine.
7. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
8. What aspect of Tom Corey's life does Silas Lapham disapprove of, and what action does Lapham think it would take to improve Corey?
9. What kind of girl does Bromfield Corey think his son Tom should marry, and how do the Lapham girls compare to Bromfield's ideal daughter-in-law?
10. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)