|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna Corey wish her son had done instead of join Silas Lapham's paint business?
(a) Take a European tour like Bromfield did in his youth.
(b) Join the army.
(c) Write a novel.
(d) Get married.
2. Which member of the Lapham family has been reading the novel Tom Corey sees on the Lapham parlor table?
3. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes Silas Lapham to his father?
(a) He is intelligent and articulate.
(b) He brags about being able to spend money.
(c) He's simple-hearted and wholesome.
(d) His range of ideas is limited.
4. To where does Silas Lapham want to take Bromfield Corey for a fish dinner?
(a) His Vermont farm.
(b) A French restaurant in Manhattan.
(c) His home in Nankeen Square.
5. How many daughters do Silas and Persis Lapham have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham?
2. Who comes to the Lapham home on Nankeen Square to see if Silas Lapham is ill when Lapham doesn't show up at work?
3. Which member of the Corey family does Silas Lapham tell Persis he wants to meet?
4. What does Persis Lapham try unsuccessfully to get her husband to understand at the end of Chapter Nine?
5. To how much does Persis Lapham limit her husband's spending on their new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Tom Corey and his father find unusual about the beverages the Laphams drink and Mrs. Lapham's social entertaining?
2. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
3. Why do the Coreys consider themselves "better" than the Laphams, and what virtues does Silas Lapham possess that the Coreys do not?
4. How does Silas Lapham feel about having Tom Corey work for him, and how does he feel about Tom's work?
5. When Tom Corey comes to their new home's construction site, why do the Laphams leave him alone with Irene?
6. Describe Tom Corey's discussion with his mother in Chapter Eight about his entering Silas Lapham's paint business.
7. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
8. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
9. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
10. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)