|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes Silas Lapham to his father?
(a) He is intelligent and articulate.
(b) He's simple-hearted and wholesome.
(c) His range of ideas is limited.
(d) He brags about being able to spend money.
2. What does Tom Corey overhear Silas Lapham advising his pretty typist to do?
(a) Try his family doctor for her insomnia.
(b) Get a divorce.
(c) Get a new job.
(d) Move to a new part of town.
3. Which member of the Lapham family has been reading the novel Tom Corey sees on the Lapham parlor table?
4. What does Anna Corey think of the Lapham family borrowing books from the public library?
(a) That it shows theit interest in literature.
(b) That it makes them common.
(c) That it shows how frugal they are.
(d) That it shows their ignorance of literature.
5. What do the Lapham sisters think their father does too much when Tom Corey visits the site of their new house in Chapter Four and receives a tour of the Beacon Street house from Silas?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom Corey tell his father in Chapter Eleven that Mrs. Lapham has never done, a fact the Coreys find unusual given the Lapham wealth?
2. In Chapter Two, who sends Persis Lapham a lithographed circular soliciting for donations to a charity?
3. In what city does the novel open?
4. Who first discovers Silas Lapham's paint mine?
5. Why does Bromfield Corey think rich girls would offer his son a greater chance at a quiet life than poor girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
2. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
3. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
4. What happens in Chapter Ten when Milton Rogers asks Silas Lapham for a loan, and how does Persis Lapham feel about the situation?
5. Why do the Coreys consider themselves "better" than the Laphams, and what virtues does Silas Lapham possess that the Coreys do not?
6. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
7. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
8. What aspect of Tom Corey's life does Silas Lapham disapprove of, and what action does Lapham think it would take to improve Corey?
9. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
10. What indication is there in Chapter Ten that Tom Corey might prefer Penelope Lapham over her sister Irene?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)