|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not appear in the description of Silas Lapham that Bartley Hubbard writes for his newspaper article?
(a) He is of medium height.
(b) He has a square, bold chin and a short, reddish-gray beard.
(c) His nose is short and straight.
(d) He is bald and walks with a cane.
2. In Chapter Four, with whom does Silas Lapham sit in the frame of a bay window at the construction site of the family's new Beacon Street house?
(a) Mr. Sewell.
(b) His daughters.
(c) Bromfield Corey.
(d) His wife.
3. What newspaper has sent reporter Bartley Hubard to interview Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
(a) The Globe.
(b) The Chronicle.
(c) The Events.
(d) The Wall Street Journal.
4. What does Tom Corey tell his father in Chapter Eleven that Mrs. Lapham has never done, a fact the Coreys find unusual given the Lapham wealth?
(a) She has never bought a real diamond necklace.
(b) She has never attended the opera.
(c) She has never patronized a charity.
(d) She has never given a dinner.
5. Where does Bromfield Corey visit Silas Lapham in Chapter Eleven?
(a) At Lapham's office.
(b) At the Taft seafood restaurant.
(c) At the construction site of Lapham's Beacon Street home.
(d) At Lapham's Vermont farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Persis Lapham do for a living before she marries Silas?
2. Where was Silas Lapham born?
3. What kind of gambling does Silas Lapham tell his wife he has been doing in Chapter Ten?
4. What physical ailment has Irene developed in Chapter Six?
5. Why does Bromfield Corey think rich girls would offer his son a greater chance at a quiet life than poor girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
2. In what different ways do Silas Lapham and Persis Lapham react to Bromfield Corey's visit to Silas Lapham's office?
3. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
4. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
5. Describe Lapham's financial situation in Chapter Nine.
6. Why are the Laphams considered deficient in social graces?
7. When Tom Corey comes to their new home's construction site, why do the Laphams leave him alone with Irene?
8. What different opinions do Silas and Persis Lapham have in Chapter Seven for why Tom Corey visits them?
9. How does Silas Lapham feel about having Tom Corey work for him, and how does he feel about Tom's work?
10. What arguments does Anna Corey give her husband for opposing their son's marriage to Silas Lapham's daughter?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)