|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Three, who do Silas and Persis Lapham run into while visiting the construction site of their new home?
(a) Persis Lapham's aged mother.
(b) Mr. Sewell.
(c) Milton Rogers, Lapham's former partner.
(d) Bromfield Corey.
2. To how much does Persis Lapham limit her husband's spending on their new home?
(a) One million dollars.
(b) One hundred thousand dollars.
(c) Ten thousand dollars.
(d) Fifty thousand dollars.
3. Which of the following statements accurately describes the financial situation of the Lapham family and the Corey family?
(a) Both families have an equal amount of money.
(b) The Laphams have a little more money than the Coreys.
(c) The Coreys have a lot more money than the Laphams.
(d) The Laphams have a lot more money than the Coreys.
4. Who do Mrs. Lapham and Penelope note that Tom Corey never mentions to either of them during his visits?
(c) Bromfield Corey.
(d) Mr. Sewell.
5. Why does Penelope Lapham think Tom Corey and Irene Lapham need to spend more time alone?
(a) She thinks it will help them figure out if they like each other.
(b) She wants Irene to get in trouble with their parents.
(c) She thinks they are in love and want more time alone.
(d) She needs the time alone with her own boyfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Persis Lapham try unsuccessfully to get her husband to understand at the end of Chapter Nine?
2. What does Irene ask Tom Corey to suggest for the new room in the Laphams' Beacon Street home?
3. Why does Anna Corey think Tom's marriage to Irene Lapham would be worse than his joining the Lapham paint business?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham's appearance?
5. In Chapter Nine, while Tom Corey discusses Middlemarch with her, with what does Irene seem engrossed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the romance subplot of the relationship between Tom Corey and Penelope resolves at the end of the novel.
2. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
3. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
4. What do Tom Corey and his father find unusual about the beverages the Laphams drink and Mrs. Lapham's social entertaining?
5. What is written on the scrap of paper Persis Lapham retrieves when her husband drops it and what is Silas Lapham's explanation for the paper?
6. What aspect of Tom Corey's life does Silas Lapham disapprove of, and what action does Lapham think it would take to improve Corey?
7. How does Silas Lapham feel about having Tom Corey work for him, and how does he feel about Tom's work?
8. Why does Silas Lapham decide to build a new house?
9. What information is revealed about Zerrilla Dewey in Chapter Eight and what does Walker the bookkeeper seem to imply about her relationship with Silas Lapham?
10. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)