|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham's appearance?
(a) Her eyes are at once intense and tender.
(b) She has blue eyes.
(c) She has red hair like her father.
(d) She has a dark complexion and curly hair.
2. In Chapter Three, who do Silas and Persis Lapham run into while visiting the construction site of their new home?
(a) Persis Lapham's aged mother.
(b) Milton Rogers, Lapham's former partner.
(c) Bromfield Corey.
(d) Mr. Sewell.
3. Why does Persis Lapham call her husband the Colonel?
(a) Silas Lapham was a colonel in the Civil War.
(b) Silas Lapham was a colonel in the Revolutionary War.
(c) Silas Lapham is rigid and disciplined like an army officer.
(d) Silas Lapham reminds her of her father, an army colonel.
4. What do the Lapham sisters make fun of when discussing Tom Corey at the end of Chapter Four?
(a) Tom's short stature.
(b) Tom's freckles.
(c) Tom's big feet.
(d) Tom's hair and nose.
5. Where does Bromfield Corey visit Silas Lapham in Chapter Eleven?
(a) At Lapham's Vermont farm.
(b) At Lapham's office.
(c) At the construction site of Lapham's Beacon Street home.
(d) At the Taft seafood restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose death brings sorrow to the early years of the Lapham marriage?
2. Which member of the Corey family does Silas Lapham tell Persis he wants to meet?
3. For whom does Silas Lapham name his top brand of paint?
4. What does Anna Corey think of the Lapham family borrowing books from the public library?
5. What do Irene Lapham and Tom Corey talk about all evening when Tom visits the Lapham home in Chapter Eleven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
2. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
3. What different opinions do Silas and Persis Lapham have in Chapter Seven for why Tom Corey visits them?
4. When Tom Corey comes to their new home's construction site, why do the Laphams leave him alone with Irene?
5. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
6. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
7. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
8. In what different ways do Silas Lapham and Persis Lapham react to Bromfield Corey's visit to Silas Lapham's office?
9. What information is revealed about Zerrilla Dewey in Chapter Eight and what does Walker the bookkeeper seem to imply about her relationship with Silas Lapham?
10. How does Penelope react to Tom Corey's visits in Chapter Eleven, and what does her behavior indicate?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)