|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
2. In what series of articles is the newspaper going to feature an article on Silas Lapham?
(a) The Paint Sellers of America series.
(b) The Business Men of Vermont series.
(c) The Rich Men of New York series.
(d) The Solid Men of Boston series.
3. Why does Penelope Lapham think Tom Corey and Irene Lapham need to spend more time alone?
(a) She thinks they are in love and want more time alone.
(b) She wants Irene to get in trouble with their parents.
(c) She needs the time alone with her own boyfriend.
(d) She thinks it will help them figure out if they like each other.
4. Why does Anna Corey think Tom's marriage to Irene Lapham would be worse than his joining the Lapham paint business?
(a) Persis Lapham would be his mother-in-law.
(b) Silas Lapham would be his father-in-law.
(c) Irene is dull.
(d) Irene is not pretty.
5. What does Tom Corey tell his father in Chapter Eleven that Mrs. Lapham has never done, a fact the Coreys find unusual given the Lapham wealth?
(a) She has never given a dinner.
(b) She has never bought a real diamond necklace.
(c) She has never patronized a charity.
(d) She has never attended the opera.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Lapham sisters think their father does too much when Tom Corey visits the site of their new house in Chapter Four and receives a tour of the Beacon Street house from Silas?
2. What kind of business does Silas Lapham buy before his paint business takes off?
3. When Tom Corey approaches Silas Lapham about joining his business, how does Lapham try to treat young Corey?
4. After giving Tom Corey a history of the paint, where does Silas Lapham suggest the young man come to finish their business talk?
5. In what city does the novel open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of Tom Corey's life does Silas Lapham disapprove of, and what action does Lapham think it would take to improve Corey?
2. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
3. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
4. What kind of girl does Bromfield Corey think his son Tom should marry, and how do the Lapham girls compare to Bromfield's ideal daughter-in-law?
5. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
6. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
7. What do Tom Corey and his father find unusual about the beverages the Laphams drink and Mrs. Lapham's social entertaining?
8. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
9. What is Anna Corey's reaction to her son's decision to go into the mineral paint business?
10. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)