|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many daughters do Silas and Persis Lapham have?
2. In Chapter Two, who sends Persis Lapham a lithographed circular soliciting for donations to a charity?
(a) Anna Corey.
(b) Her daughter's teacher.
(c) Mr. Sewell.
(d) The governor's wife.
3. Who first discovers Silas Lapham's paint mine?
(a) Silas Lapham.
(b) Silas Lapham's father.
(c) Silas Lapham's brother, Willard.
(d) Persis Lapham.
4. Why do the Laphams come to believe their home in Boston is in an unfashionable neighborhood?
(a) The fashionable Anna Corey implies that it is.
(b) A fashion magazine tells them it is.
(c) A newspaper article states that it is.
(d) Their daughters decree that it is.
5. What does Anna Corey think of her son going into Lapham's mineral paint business?
(a) She finds the idea distasteful.
(b) She supports the idea.
(c) She thinks his father should do the same.
(d) She prefers he start his own company.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Tom avoid while talking with his mother in Chapter Eight?
2. What does Irene ask Tom Corey to suggest for the new room in the Laphams' Beacon Street home?
3. What novel does Tom Corey notice on a table in the Lapham parlor and begin discussing?
4. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham's appearance?
5. What does Persis Lapham try unsuccessfully to get her husband to understand at the end of Chapter Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspect of Tom Corey's life does Silas Lapham disapprove of, and what action does Lapham think it would take to improve Corey?
2. Why are the Laphams considered deficient in social graces?
3. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
4. What arguments does Anna Corey give her husband for opposing their son's marriage to Silas Lapham's daughter?
5. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
6. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
7. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
8. What is Anna Corey's reaction to her son's decision to go into the mineral paint business?
9. Describe Tom Corey's discussion with his mother in Chapter Eight about his entering Silas Lapham's paint business.
10. Why does Bartley Hubbard interview Silas Lapham, and what differing views of success do Hubbard and Lapham have?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)