|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What physical ailment has Irene developed in Chapter Six?
(b) A cold.
(c) A broken arm.
(d) A headache.
2. To how much does Persis Lapham limit her husband's spending on their new home?
(a) Ten thousand dollars.
(b) One hundred thousand dollars.
(c) Fifty thousand dollars.
(d) One million dollars.
3. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes Silas Lapham to his father?
(a) He is intelligent and articulate.
(b) He brags about being able to spend money.
(c) His range of ideas is limited.
(d) He's simple-hearted and wholesome.
4. Why does Persis Lapham discourage her husband from bringing Tom Corey home with him?
(a) She wants Tom to visit on his own accord.
(b) She prefers another young man as Irene's suitor.
(c) She doesn't approve of Tom as a suitor for Irene.
(d) She thinks Tom is an unpleasant young man.
5. What does Anna Corey think of her son going into Lapham's mineral paint business?
(a) She prefers he start his own company.
(b) She supports the idea.
(c) She finds the idea distasteful.
(d) She thinks his father should do the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the Corey ladies lost when they first meet the Laphams?
2. Which relative has Tom Corey consulted in addition to his father about the merits of joining Lapham's mineral paint business?
3. What do the Lapham sisters think their father does too much when Tom Corey visits the site of their new house in Chapter Four and receives a tour of the Beacon Street house from Silas?
4. What kind of gambling does Silas Lapham tell his wife he has been doing in Chapter Ten?
5. Why do the Laphams come to believe their home in Boston is in an unfashionable neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tom Corey's discussion with his mother in Chapter Eight about his entering Silas Lapham's paint business.
2. What do Tom Corey and his father find unusual about the beverages the Laphams drink and Mrs. Lapham's social entertaining?
3. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
4. How does Penelope react to Tom Corey's visits in Chapter Eleven, and what does her behavior indicate?
5. What happens in Chapter Ten when Milton Rogers asks Silas Lapham for a loan, and how does Persis Lapham feel about the situation?
6. How has Persis Lapham supported her husband and his business over the years and how does Lapham honor her for her support?
7. Which Lapham sister does Tom Corey talk about when he visits the Laphams and which one does he not talk about, and what do his conversational tendencies indicate?
8. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
9. What different opinions do Silas and Persis Lapham have in Chapter Seven for why Tom Corey visits them?
10. In what different ways do Silas Lapham and Persis Lapham react to Bromfield Corey's visit to Silas Lapham's office?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)