|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes Silas Lapham to his father?
(a) He's simple-hearted and wholesome.
(b) He is intelligent and articulate.
(c) He brags about being able to spend money.
(d) His range of ideas is limited.
2. When Tom Corey comes to the Lapham home for a second visit in Chapter Eleven, about whom does he ask Irene?
(c) Mr. Sewell.
3. Whose death brings sorrow to the early years of the Lapham marriage?
(a) Persis Lapham's mother.
(b) The Laphams' son.
(c) Silas Lapham's mother.
(d) Silas Lapham's father.
4. Silas Lapham believes Tom Corey's sole interest is the mineral paint business, but what does Persis Lapham believe has also captured Tom's interest?
(b) The Lapham family's hospitality.
(d) Silas Lapham's work ethic.
5. What does Irene ask Tom Corey to suggest for the new room in the Laphams' Beacon Street home?
(c) Art work.
(d) A piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Mrs. Lapham and Penelope note that Tom Corey never mentions to either of them during his visits?
2. To how much does Persis Lapham limit her husband's spending on their new home?
3. After giving Tom Corey a history of the paint, where does Silas Lapham suggest the young man come to finish their business talk?
4. Why does Silas Lapham stay home the day after Bromfield Corey's visit in Chapter Eleven?
5. While conversing with his mother in Chapter Eight, what does Tom Corey tell his mother about Penelope Lapham?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom Corey describe the Lapham family to his mother?
2. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
3. Why does Silas Lapham decide to build a new house?
4. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
5. What is Lapham's childhood and family background, and how does this background shape his values?
6. What happens in Chapter Ten when Milton Rogers asks Silas Lapham for a loan, and how does Persis Lapham feel about the situation?
7. What different opinions do Silas and Persis Lapham have in Chapter Seven for why Tom Corey visits them?
8. How has Persis Lapham supported her husband and his business over the years and how does Lapham honor her for her support?
9. How does Penelope react to Tom Corey's visits in Chapter Eleven, and what does her behavior indicate?
10. Describe how Silas Lapham gets into the paint business.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)