|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business does Silas Lapham buy before his paint business takes off?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A bank.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A saloon.
2. While conversing with his mother in Chapter Eight, what does Tom Corey tell his mother about Penelope Lapham?
(a) That she's fashionable.
(b) That she's humorous.
(c) That she's pretty.
(d) That she's smart.
3. Why does Penelope Lapham think Tom Corey and Irene Lapham need to spend more time alone?
(a) She needs the time alone with her own boyfriend.
(b) She thinks they are in love and want more time alone.
(c) She thinks it will help them figure out if they like each other.
(d) She wants Irene to get in trouble with their parents.
4. What room does Irene tell Tom Corey the Laphams will have in their new Beacon Street home?
(a) A music room.
(b) A conservatory.
(c) A billiard room.
(d) A library.
5. How long has the Lapham family lived in their Boston home?
(a) Twenty five years.
(b) One week.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna Corey wish her son had done instead of join Silas Lapham's paint business?
2. How many daughters do Silas and Persis Lapham have?
3. What physical ailment has Irene developed in Chapter Six?
4. What business idea does Tom Corey first propose to Silas Lapham in Chapter Six?
5. What does Irene ask Tom Corey to suggest for the new room in the Laphams' Beacon Street home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
2. Why do the Coreys consider themselves "better" than the Laphams, and what virtues does Silas Lapham possess that the Coreys do not?
3. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
4. Why does Silas Lapham decide to build a new house?
5. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
6. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
7. What is Anna Corey's reaction to her son's decision to go into the mineral paint business?
8. What indication is there in Chapter Ten that Tom Corey might prefer Penelope Lapham over her sister Irene?
9. What business proposal does Silas Lapham discuss with James Bellingham in Chapter Twenty Five, and what counter suggestion does Bellingham make?
10. What bad news does Walker the bookkeeper deliver to Silas Lapham about Lapham's paint company in Chapter Twenty One?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)