|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of gambling does Silas Lapham tell his wife he has been doing in Chapter Ten?
(a) Playing the stock market.
(b) Playing roulette.
(c) Playing poker.
(d) Betting on horses.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham's appearance?
(a) Her eyes are at once intense and tender.
(b) She has red hair like her father.
(c) She has a dark complexion and curly hair.
(d) She has blue eyes.
3. What kind of business does Silas Lapham buy before his paint business takes off?
(a) A saloon.
(b) A bank.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A hotel.
4. How old is Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
5. What do the Lapham sisters think their father does too much when Tom Corey visits the site of their new house in Chapter Four and receives a tour of the Beacon Street house from Silas?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Nine, while Tom Corey discusses Middlemarch with her, with what does Irene seem engrossed?
2. When Irene Lapham receives a newspaper clipping from Texas, who does she think has sent it to her?
3. What novel does Tom Corey notice on a table in the Lapham parlor and begin discussing?
4. While conversing with his mother in Chapter Eight, what does Tom Corey tell his mother about Penelope Lapham?
5. What subject does Tom avoid while talking with his mother in Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does Anna Corey give her husband for opposing their son's marriage to Silas Lapham's daughter?
2. In what different ways do Silas Lapham and Persis Lapham react to Bromfield Corey's visit to Silas Lapham's office?
3. What is Silas Lapham's relationship with Milton Rogers and what disagreement do Silas and Persis have over Lapham's dealings with Rogers?
4. What indication is there in Chapter Ten that Tom Corey might prefer Penelope Lapham over her sister Irene?
5. When Tom Corey comes to their new home's construction site, why do the Laphams leave him alone with Irene?
6. What business proposals does Tom Corey suggest to Silas Lapham?
7. Describe Bromfield Corey's life and how it differs from Silas Lapham's.
8. Describe the Laphams' first meeting with the Corey family.
9. What information is revealed about Zerrilla Dewey in Chapter Eight and what does Walker the bookkeeper seem to imply about her relationship with Silas Lapham?
10. How does Silas Lapham feel about having Tom Corey work for him, and how does he feel about Tom's work?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)