|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have the Corey ladies lost when they first meet the Laphams?
(a) A blue plumed hat.
(b) A gold pocket watch.
(c) Some of their luggage.
(d) A diamond pendant.
2. What room does Irene tell Tom Corey the Laphams will have in their new Beacon Street home?
(a) A conservatory.
(b) A library.
(c) A music room.
(d) A billiard room.
3. What does Anna Corey think of the Lapham family borrowing books from the public library?
(a) That it makes them common.
(b) That it shows how frugal they are.
(c) That it shows theit interest in literature.
(d) That it shows their ignorance of literature.
4. Which of the following statements accurately describes the financial situation of the Lapham family and the Corey family?
(a) The Laphams have a little more money than the Coreys.
(b) The Laphams have a lot more money than the Coreys.
(c) Both families have an equal amount of money.
(d) The Coreys have a lot more money than the Laphams.
5. After giving Tom Corey a history of the paint, where does Silas Lapham suggest the young man come to finish their business talk?
(a) New York.
(b) The Lapham cottage in Nantasket.
(c) A restaurant in downtown Boston.
(d) Bar Harbor.
6. Whose death brings sorrow to the early years of the Lapham marriage?
(a) Silas Lapham's mother.
(b) Silas Lapham's father.
(c) Persis Lapham's mother.
(d) The Laphams' son.
7. Why does Persis Lapham call her husband the Colonel?
(a) Silas Lapham is rigid and disciplined like an army officer.
(b) Silas Lapham was a colonel in the Revolutionary War.
(c) Silas Lapham reminds her of her father, an army colonel.
(d) Silas Lapham was a colonel in the Civil War.
8. In what city does the novel open?
(c) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
9. Silas Lapham believes Tom Corey's sole interest is the mineral paint business, but what does Persis Lapham believe has also captured Tom's interest?
(c) Silas Lapham's work ethic.
(d) The Lapham family's hospitality.
10. How old is Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
11. In Chapter Five, what business does Tom Corey tell his father he wants to go into?
(b) Lapham's mineral paint business.
(c) Real estate.
12. What newspaper has sent reporter Bartley Hubard to interview Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
(a) The Events.
(b) The Globe.
(c) The Chronicle.
(d) The Wall Street Journal.
13. What does Silas Lapham send Bartley Hubbard's wife as a present at the end of Chapter One?
(a) A bottle of French perfume.
(b) A bouquet of red roses.
(c) A new horse.
(d) Jars of his Persis Brand paint.
14. What novel does Tom Corey notice on a table in the Lapham parlor and begin discussing?
(a) Little Women.
(c) Nicholas Nickleby.
(d) Tom Sawyer.
15. While conversing with his mother in Chapter Eight, what does Tom Corey tell his mother about Penelope Lapham?
(a) That she's humorous.
(b) That she's pretty.
(c) That she's fashionable.
(d) That she's smart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bromfield not think Tom will stick with the paint business long?
2. When Tom Corey comes to the Lapham home for a second visit in Chapter Eleven, about whom does he ask Irene?
3. What does Tom Corey tell his father in Chapter Eleven that Mrs. Lapham has never done, a fact the Coreys find unusual given the Lapham wealth?
4. Why hasn't Bromfield Corey seen Bartley Hubbard's article in The Events about Silas Lapham?
5. Which member of the Corey family is ill when they first meet the Laphams?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)