|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Mrs. Lapham and Penelope note that Tom Corey never mentions to either of them during his visits?
(a) Mr. Sewell.
(c) Bromfield Corey.
2. What do the Lapham sisters think their father does too much when Tom Corey visits the site of their new house in Chapter Four and receives a tour of the Beacon Street house from Silas?
3. What does Tom Corey overhear Silas Lapham advising his pretty typist to do?
(a) Try his family doctor for her insomnia.
(b) Get a new job.
(c) Move to a new part of town.
(d) Get a divorce.
4. Why does Silas Lapham stay home the day after Bromfield Corey's visit in Chapter Eleven?
(a) He has caught pneumonia from Bromfield.
(b) He is having an affair with Zerilla Dewey.
(c) Persis Lapham is ill and needs his assistance at home.
(d) He's too excited and upset by the visit to go to work.
5. What business idea does Tom Corey first propose to Silas Lapham in Chapter Six?
(a) Expanding into the construction business.
(b) A partnership in Lapham's company.
(c) Starting a branch of Lapham's company in Maine.
(d) Investing capital in Lapham's company.
6. Which member of the Corey family is ill when they first meet the Laphams?
(a) Nanny Corey.
(b) Anna Corey.
(c) Tom Corey.
(d) Bromfield Corey.
7. In Chapter Nine, who thinks the Lapham family is below the Corey family?
(a) Bromfield Corey.
(b) Silas Lapham.
(c) Tom Corey.
(d) Irene Lapham.
8. In Chapter Four, with whom does Silas Lapham sit in the frame of a bay window at the construction site of the family's new Beacon Street house?
(a) Bromfield Corey.
(b) His daughters.
(c) His wife.
(d) Mr. Sewell.
9. In what series of articles is the newspaper going to feature an article on Silas Lapham?
(a) The Rich Men of New York series.
(b) The Paint Sellers of America series.
(c) The Business Men of Vermont series.
(d) The Solid Men of Boston series.
10. Why does Penelope Lapham think Tom Corey and Irene Lapham need to spend more time alone?
(a) She needs the time alone with her own boyfriend.
(b) She thinks it will help them figure out if they like each other.
(c) She thinks they are in love and want more time alone.
(d) She wants Irene to get in trouble with their parents.
11. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes Silas Lapham to his father?
(a) He's simple-hearted and wholesome.
(b) His range of ideas is limited.
(c) He brags about being able to spend money.
(d) He is intelligent and articulate.
12. What do the Lapham sisters make fun of when discussing Tom Corey at the end of Chapter Four?
(a) Tom's freckles.
(b) Tom's short stature.
(c) Tom's hair and nose.
(d) Tom's big feet.
13. What newspaper has sent reporter Bartley Hubard to interview Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
(a) The Globe.
(b) The Chronicle.
(c) The Wall Street Journal.
(d) The Events.
14. What does Silas Lapham send Bartley Hubbard's wife as a present at the end of Chapter One?
(a) Jars of his Persis Brand paint.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A bottle of French perfume.
(d) A bouquet of red roses.
15. Who comes to the Lapham home on Nankeen Square to see if Silas Lapham is ill when Lapham doesn't show up at work?
(a) Lapham's bookkeeper.
(b) Zerilla Dewey.
(c) Milton Rogers.
(d) Tom Corey.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Silas Lapham name his top brand of paint?
2. To whom does Silas Lapham loan money in Chapter Ten?
3. What does Persis Lapham do for a living before she marries Silas?
4. Where are the Laphams traveling when they meet another Boston family, the rich and fashionable Coreys?
5. What is Anna Corey's reaction when her husband Bromfield tells her their son has decided to join Silas Lapham's paint business?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)