|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the 'ancient ones' in "The Boy and the Chariot"?
2. What is the name given to the cremation fire?
3. In the hymn, "In Praise of Generosity", fortune is described as _____.
4. What is thought of as a symbol of rain and fertility?
5. The Rbhus are the _____ of the gods.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Agni and Soma linked?
2. In "The Creation of the Sacrifice", what is the significance of weaving?
3. What is the actual content of the secret in "The Mystery of Agni"?
4. What is the distinction between food that is for the gods and food that is for the dead fathers?
5. How is butter visualized in the hymn, "Butter"?
6. Who are the three brothers in "The Riddle of the Sacrifice" and with whom are they associated in the text?
7. What is the state of clarity of the early stages of creation in "The All-maker", according to the author, and why?
8. What is the function of the "Royal Consecration" hymn, and what would accompany it?
9. Who eats from the tree of knowledge in "The Riddle of the Sacrifice", and what does this mean?
10. What does the hymn, "The Sacrificial Priests", liken the work of the priests to? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the demons in the Rig Veda? Where do they live? Why do they live there? How do they interact with the gods? What is Sarama's role in relation to the demons?
Essay Topic 2
There are many metaphors for the sun in the Rig Veda. Find examples of these and explain how they are used. The sun itself is a metaphor for which gods? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 3
How is Parjanya personified? What is paradoxical about the way he is personified in "Parjanya, the Cow'?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)