|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Urvasi is a _____.
(d) Sun goddess.
2. Who are the sky and earth parents of?
(a) The sun.
(b) The bull.
(c) The stars.
(d) The maruts.
3. The word for exertion of religious activity in "Agastya and Lopamudra" is _____.
4. Rudra is known as the punisher of _____.
5. What does the name Vena mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Parjanya, the Bull", what is Parjanyas' enormous deadly weapon?
2. The family of sages who praise Dawn in "Dawn and the Asvins" are called _____.
3. Seven gods guard Soma, among whom _____ is the foremost.
4. Pusan is the _____ of the sun.
5. What is another name for the 'axis mundi' mentioned in "Guard Us from the Monstrous Abyss"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Yami's argument to persuade Yama to have incest relations with her, and who does she invoke to aid her with this?
2. What is the role of beauty in regards to women in the Rig Veda?
3. What are two meanings of "Atri and the Lost Sun"?
4. What is the nature of Soma in "The Marriage of Surya"?
5. Why does the author say it is a possibility that priests are being satirized in "The Frogs"?
6. Who are the sons of the sun and what are their roles?
7. Who competes in the contest in "The Maruts" and what are they doing in the competition?
8. According to Indian theory, what happens to the sun during the rainy season?
9. What is the conflict present in all of the dialogues with women in the Rig Veda? Who succeeds, and who fails in this conflict?
10. What are the possible meanings of the 'banner that dawn plants in the sky' in "Dawn and the Asvins"?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)