|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Have Mercy on Us, Rudra", Rudra's hair is braided or piled on top of his head in a _____.
(d) Tangled mess.
2. Who is Rudra's successor as a Hindu god?
3. What is Agastya's chosen path in life when his wife approaches him to beget a child?
(a) That of a charioteer.
(b) That of a farmer.
(c) That of the ascetic.
(d) That of a herdsman.
4. What does the name Vena mean?
5. _____ is incarnate as a goddess closely associated with the Asvins.
Short Answer Questions
1. A 'yojana' is a measurement of _____.
2. In "Varuna Provoked to Anger", even _____ does not avert evil in the poet's estimation.
3. What is Nirrti called in the texts of the Rig Veda?
4. Who performed the first sacrifice by mortals for immortals?
5. The red streaks in "The Gale Wind" may be the redness in the sky during rain, or the _____ of the wind.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Varuna asked to protect the worshiper from in regards to his own power?
2. In "The Courtship of Ghosa", what does Ghosa ask the Asvins?
3. What does the poet ask for at the end of "Parjanya, the Bull", and why?
4. What is the nature of Soma in "The Marriage of Surya"?
5. What are two meanings of "Atri and the Lost Sun"?
6. What is the meaning or the invocation, 'O, master of the stones' in "The House of Clay"?
7. In "Varuna Provoked to Anger", what is the nature of Vasistha's sins toward Varuna?
8. In the dialogue between Agastya and the Maruts in "Agastya and the Maruts", what is Agastya trying to do?
9. In "Indra and the Maruts", why does Indra mock the Maruts?
10. Who are the sons of the sun and what are their roles?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)