|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The _____ in "Indra and the Monkey" is regarded as the indigenous inhabitant, regarded as demonic.
2. In "Vena", Soma is the _____ who roars as he mingles with the waters.
3. What is Rudra the embodiment of?
(a) Wildness and unpredictable danger.
(b) Love and wisdom.
(c) Peace and death.
(d) Cleverness and thievery.
4. What is Nirrti called in the texts of the Rig Veda?
5. Who are 'those who eat serpents' most likely to be in "Savitr at Sunset"?
(c) Dogs of war.
(d) Birds of prey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Asura is a _____ in early Vedic tradition, before he becomes a demon.
2. Who called "Indra and the Monkey' the strangest hymn in the Rig Veda?
3. What is another name for the Maruts?
4. Svarbhanu is the demon of _____ in "Atri and the Lost Sun".
5. What is another name for the 'axis mundi' mentioned in "Guard Us from the Monstrous Abyss"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vena personify in the hymn of the same name, and how does this relate to the theme of the hymn?
2. What are two meanings of "Atri and the Lost Sun"?
3. What is Yami's argument to persuade Yama to have incest relations with her, and who does she invoke to aid her with this?
4. In the dialogue between Agastya and the Maruts in "Agastya and the Maruts", what is Agastya trying to do?
5. In "Varuna Provoked to Anger", what is the nature of Vasistha's sins toward Varuna?
6. In "The Courtship of Ghosa", what does Ghosa ask the Asvins?
7. What is the conflict present in all of the dialogues with women in the Rig Veda? Who succeeds, and who fails in this conflict?
8. Who are the sons of the sun and what are their roles?
9. What is the role of beauty in regards to women in the Rig Veda?
10. What does the poet ask for at the end of "Parjanya, the Bull", and why?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)