|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the sons and daughters of the father in "To Arms"?
2. Who are 'those who eat serpents' most likely to be in "Savitr at Sunset"?
(a) Birds of prey.
(b) Dogs of war.
3. What word means dark, formless, terrifying abyss?
4. According to the author, who is the only Vedic goddess of any true stature?
5. In stories associated with "Apala and Indra", what is the third skin that is sloughed off of Apala?
(a) A chameleon.
(b) A toad.
(c) A salamander.
(d) A slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the Maruts?
2. Who invokes the Asvins to help her find her husband?
3. Who is said to have found the lost sun?
4. Svarbhanu is the demon of _____ in "Atri and the Lost Sun".
5. In "The Deeds of the Asvins", the feet in the phrase 'in three chariots with six horses and a hundred feet' are _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the different meanings of the 'house of clay' metaphor in "The House of Clay"?
2. What is the meaning or the invocation, 'O, master of the stones' in "The House of Clay"?
3. What is the central image of the hymn, "Mudgala's Wife and the Bull in the Chariot", and how do their interpretations overlap?
4. What are the possible meanings of the 'banner that dawn plants in the sky' in "Dawn and the Asvins"?
5. According to Indian theory, what happens to the sun during the rainy season?
6. What is the conflict present in all of the dialogues with women in the Rig Veda? Who succeeds, and who fails in this conflict?
7. What does Vena personify in the hymn of the same name, and how does this relate to the theme of the hymn?
8. What are two meanings of "Atri and the Lost Sun"?
9. In "Varuna Provoked to Anger", what is the nature of Vasistha's sins toward Varuna?
10. Who are the sons of the sun and what are their roles?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)