|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The overturned cask is a frequent metaphor for a _____.
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A torrent of rain.
(c) The loss of life.
(d) The loss of Soma.
2. Urvasi is a _____.
(a) Sun goddess.
3. In "Have Mercy on Us, Rudra", Rudra's hair is braided or piled on top of his head in a _____.
(c) Tangled mess.
4. The word _____ means 'one who sheds rain or seed'?
5. In "The House of Clay", Varuna casts his snares upon the offending worshiper in the form of _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Varuna binds _____ in his snares of disease and misfortune in "Varuna Provoked to Anger".
2. What is Nirrti called in the texts of the Rig Veda?
3. In stories associated with "Apala and Indra", what is the first skin that is sloughed off of Apala?
4. 'A woman in need of help' in "The rescue of Atri" designates a woman _____.
5. Who is Rudra's successor as a Hindu god?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vena personify in the hymn of the same name, and how does this relate to the theme of the hymn?
2. What does the poet ask for at the end of "Parjanya, the Bull", and why?
3. What is Yami's argument to persuade Yama to have incest relations with her, and who does she invoke to aid her with this?
4. Why does the author say it is a possibility that priests are being satirized in "The Frogs"?
5. What are the possible meanings of the 'banner that dawn plants in the sky' in "Dawn and the Asvins"?
6. What are two meanings of "Atri and the Lost Sun"?
7. Who are the sons of the sun and what are their roles?
8. What is the central image of the hymn, "Mudgala's Wife and the Bull in the Chariot", and how do their interpretations overlap?
9. Who competes in the contest in "The Maruts" and what are they doing in the competition?
10. What is the role of beauty in regards to women in the Rig Veda?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)