|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Maruts are _____ portrayed always as a group.
(a) Sun worshipers.
(d) Fertility gods.
2. The Asvins are said to be born of the _____ in "The Deeds of the Asvins".
3. In "The House of Clay", Varuna casts his snares upon the offending worshiper in the form of _____.
4. The _____ in "Indra and the Monkey" is the conquering Aryan.
5. What is Rudra the embodiment of?
(a) Peace and death.
(b) Love and wisdom.
(c) Wildness and unpredictable danger.
(d) Cleverness and thievery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the metaphor used in "Parjanya, the Cow" to represent the cloud that does not give rain?
2. Who is said to have found the lost sun?
3. What is the name of the god of formal hospitality to strangers?
4. in "The Deeds of the Asvins", Pedu is the character who was given a white horse that killed _____.
5. The red streaks in "The Gale Wind" may be the redness in the sky during rain, or the _____ of the wind.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the poet ask for at the end of "Parjanya, the Bull", and why?
2. Who are the sons of the sun and what are their roles?
3. In "Varuna Provoked to Anger", what is the nature of Vasistha's sins toward Varuna?
4. What is the central image of the hymn, "Mudgala's Wife and the Bull in the Chariot", and how do their interpretations overlap?
5. In "The Courtship of Ghosa", what does Ghosa ask the Asvins?
6. What is the nature of Soma in "The Marriage of Surya"?
7. What is the conflict present in all of the dialogues with women in the Rig Veda? Who succeeds, and who fails in this conflict?
8. Who brandishes their power and in what way in "The Deeds of Varuna"?
9. What is the role of beauty in regards to women in the Rig Veda?
10. Who competes in the contest in "The Maruts" and what are they doing in the competition?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)