|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Susna is the demon of _____.
2. What was used to protect female mourners instead of mascara or eye-shadow, as stated in the "Burial Hymn"?
(a) Blessed berry juice.
(b) Ash mixed with olive oil.
(c) Ritually purified butter.
(d) Clay from sacred ground.
3. What are the four social classes in Indian civilization called?
4. Indra splits open a _____ to release trapped cows.
(b) Giant egg.
5. The Vasus are a group of gods associated with _____.
(a) The crops.
(b) The sun.
(c) The moon.
(d) The horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is thought of as a symbol of rain and fertility?
2. In the hymn, "In Praise of Generosity", fortune is described as _____.
3. What is the name given to the cremation fire?
4. Who are Agni's sons?
5. The long-haired ascetic is an early precursor of the Upanisadic _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first ritual laws called, and what is their purpose?
2. What is the sacrificial horse identified with?
3. What is the function of the enclosing-sticks in "The Hymn of Man" as opposed to the fuel-sticks?
4. How is butter visualized in the hymn, "Butter"?
5. What is the meaning of the use of hunger in "In praise of Generosity"?
6. What are the meanings of the recurrent epithet, "Knower of creatures"?
7. What is the distinction between food that is for the gods and food that is for the dead fathers?
8. What is the state of clarity of the early stages of creation in "The All-maker", according to the author, and why?
9. What is the actual content of the secret in "The Mystery of Agni"?
10. Who are the Angirases and with whom are they often linked?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)