|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the beloved grey priest?
(a) The rain.
(b) The Soma plant.
(c) The night sky.
(d) The oblation fire.
2. In the hymn "Yama and the Fathers", who is being told to go away from the burning-ground where they live?
(a) Cold-blooded snakes.
(b) Mud daubers.
(d) Flesh-eating ghouls.
3. The mane of a horse is a metaphor for what?
(a) The love of Indra.
(b) The crops in the fields.
(c) The rain.
(d) The rays of the sun.
4. What are the sisters that embrace the pressing stones?
(d) Other stones.
5. What are the instruments for ritual sometimes called?
(a) Storm elements.
(d) Game tools.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Origins of Sacred Speech" hymn speaks of the recreation of the origins of sacred speech through _____of the Vedic sacrifice.
2. Which word in the Rig Veda means 'to sprinkle'?
3. "The Sacrificial Priests" is described as a kind of _____ for priests.
4. The enemy of true speech in "The Origins of Sacred Speech" is said to have been the _____ of the author.
5. The Maruts are referred to as _____ in "The Cows in the Cave".
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of the horse carrying the body in "Requiem for a Horse"?
2. What is the distinction between food that is for the gods and food that is for the dead fathers?
3. What are the the three forms of speech highlighted in the hymn, "Speech", and what do they represent?
4. Who are the Asuras in the beginning of the Vedas, as opposed to their role toward the end?
5. What are the first ritual laws called, and what is their purpose?
6. In "Aditi and the Birth of the Gods", what does the author think is meant by the poet's seeing the birth of the gods?
7. What is the actual content of the secret in "The Mystery of Agni"?
8. What is the nature of the 'child of the waters' and how does this relate to Agni?
9. Who are the three brothers in "The Riddle of the Sacrifice" and with whom are they associated in the text?
10. What is the state of clarity of the early stages of creation in "The All-maker", according to the author, and why?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)