|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Vivavsan is a name for the _____.
2. Who carries Indra to heaven to bring Soma to men and gods?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A raven.
(c) A horse.
(d) An eagle.
3. What animal joins the horse in sacrifice?
(a) A dog.
(b) A goat.
(c) A bird.
(d) A donkey.
4. Who are the ancient dark divinities?
(a) The Agnis.
(b) The Asuras.
(c) The Vyalkasas.
(d) The Asisis.
5. Varuna and Mitra are keepers of the _____.
(a) Moral law.
(c) Pressing stones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the inner membrane of the embryo called?
2. How many people slaughter the horse of Tvastr during sacrifice?
3. What turns into a plant that is used as a substitute for the Soma plant in the hymn, "Soma and Indra and the Eagle"?
4. Who are Agni's sons?
5. What is the piece of wood attached crosswise at the top of the stake used in the horse sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the three brothers in "The Riddle of the Sacrifice" and with whom are they associated in the text?
2. In the hymn "The Child of the Waters", what do the three women give to the deity, and why?
3. What is the back story about the priest of the oblation's getting angry in "The Birth of Agni", and what does the priest do that is mentioned in this hymn?
4. What is the meaning of the use of hunger in "In praise of Generosity"?
5. What are the first ritual laws called, and what is their purpose?
6. What is the role of the goat in "The Sacrifice of the Horse" and for whom does it do this?
7. How is butter visualized in the hymn, "Butter"?
8. What is the distinction between food that is for the gods and food that is for the dead fathers?
9. What is the significance of the membrane in "The Gods Coax Agni Out of the Waters"?
10. What is the sacrificial horse identified with?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)