|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _____ are seers as well as poets.
2. What is the male element of the newborn sun or fire?
(a) The flames.
3. The word for heart mind and life-spirit is _____.
4. The traditional _____ in the Rig Veda is the tale of the king and the priest.
5. Sarasvati is the goddess of _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Indra wages battle with _____ as well as weapons.
2. What is the sky divided into in "A Spell to Turn Back the Departing Spirit"?
3. What is the hollow cavern that the rivers fill in "The Child of the Waters"?
4. The Soma stalk mixes with water to form the juice of _____.
5. What is the female element in the oblation ritual called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the function of the enclosing-sticks in "The Hymn of Man" as opposed to the fuel-sticks?
2. Who are the three brothers in "The Riddle of the Sacrifice" and with whom are they associated in the text?
3. What is the significance of the membrane in "The Gods Coax Agni Out of the Waters"?
4. What is the sacrificial horse identified with?
5. How is butter visualized in the hymn, "Butter"?
6. What is the state of clarity of the early stages of creation in "The All-maker", according to the author, and why?
7. Who are the Asuras in the beginning of the Vedas, as opposed to their role toward the end?
8. What are the the three forms of speech highlighted in the hymn, "Speech", and what do they represent?
9. How are Agni and Soma linked?
10. Who are the Angirases and with whom are they often linked?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)