|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the inner membrane of the embryo called?
2. How many wheels does the chariot have in "The Boy and the Chariot"?
3. What did Martanda's name originally mean in "Aditi and the Birth of the Gods"?
(b) Eye of the sky.
(c) Keeper of the sun.
(d) Born of an egg.
4. What does the word 'tapas' mean?
5. What is the piece of wood attached crosswise at the top of the stake used in the horse sacrifice?
(a) The cleft.
(b) The knob.
(c) The corbel.
(d) The weft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is often identified with the soul?
2. Sarasvati is the goddess of _____.
3. Who are Agni's sons?
4. What animal joins the horse in sacrifice?
5. Who is a kavi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the goat in "The Sacrifice of the Horse" and for whom does it do this?
2. What does the hymn, "The Sacrificial Priests", liken the work of the priests to? How?
3. What is meant by the "mist" metaphor in "Aditi and the Birth of the Gods"?
4. What is the function of the "Royal Consecration" hymn, and what would accompany it?
5. Who are the Asuras in the beginning of the Vedas, as opposed to their role toward the end?
6. How is butter visualized in the hymn, "Butter"?
7. In "Aditi and the Birth of the Gods", what does the author think is meant by the poet's seeing the birth of the gods?
8. What are the meanings of the recurrent epithet, "Knower of creatures"?
9. What is the state of clarity of the early stages of creation in "The All-maker", according to the author, and why?
10. Who are the three brothers in "The Riddle of the Sacrifice" and with whom are they associated in the text?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)