|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hollow cavern that the rivers fill in "The Child of the Waters"?
(a) The sky.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The moon's wake.
(d) The valley.
2. What animal joins the horse in sacrifice?
(a) A dog.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A goat.
(d) A bird.
3. The traditional _____ in the Rig Veda is the tale of the king and the priest.
4. The daughter of the sun is the _____ of Soma.
5. In the hymn, "In Praise of Generosity", fortune is described as _____.
6. How many wheels does the chariot have in "The Boy and the Chariot"?
7. _____ is the cry that is made when an offering is presented to the gods.
8. What work does the author think the "The Boy and the Chariot" might be the kernel of?
(b) The Bhagavad Gita.
(c) The Pancatantra.
9. Who is a kavi?
(a) A snake handler.
(b) A sacrifical martyr.
(c) A guardian or keeper.
(d) A poet or a saint.
10. Who carries Indra to heaven to bring Soma to men and gods?
(a) A raven.
(b) A donkey.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A horse.
11. Vivavsan is a name for the _____.
12. Who is considered the quintessential generous patron?
13. Who are the 'ancient ones' in "The Boy and the Chariot"?
(a) The sages.
(b) Dead ancestors of the realm of Yama.
(c) The jury of heaven.
(d) The boy's parents.
14. What was used to protect female mourners instead of mascara or eye-shadow, as stated in the "Burial Hymn"?
(a) Blessed berry juice.
(b) Clay from sacred ground.
(c) Ritually purified butter.
(d) Ash mixed with olive oil.
15. What are said to have more powers than the Fathers in heaven?
(a) The Mothers of heaven.
(b) The children of heaven.
(c) The horses of heaven.
(d) The goats of heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word denotes mankind, the eponymous ancestor of mankind, or the brother of Yama?
2. How many shafts does the chariot have in "The Boy and the Chariot"?
3. What is the name given to the cremation fire?
4. How many people slaughter the horse of Tvastr during sacrifice?
5. The author calls the unknown god the _____.
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)