|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who carries Indra to heaven to bring Soma to men and gods?
(a) A horse.
(b) A raven.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A donkey.
2. Saryanavat is the name of the _____ where Soma plants are found.
3. An Asura is a form of high ____.
4. The enemy of true speech in "The Origins of Sacred Speech" is said to have been the _____ of the author.
(c) Best friend.
5. What is thought of as a symbol of rain and fertility?
(a) The rain cloud.
(b) The lioness.
(c) The female frog.
(d) The goose egg.
6. Varuna and Mitra are keepers of the _____.
(c) Moral law.
(d) Pressing stones.
7. What is the male element of the newborn sun or fire?
(c) The flames.
8. The horses of Indra in "The Sacrifice of the Horse" are _____.
(a) Two bay stallions.
(b) Two grey donkeys.
(c) Two dapple grays.
(d) Two roan mares.
9. In later Sanskrit, a wish is a chariot made of _____.
10. What work does the author think the "The Boy and the Chariot" might be the kernel of?
(a) The Bhagavad Gita.
(b) The Pancatantra.
11. What word is often identified with the soul?
12. When Agni becomes priest, his _____ are both flame and prayer.
13. Sarasvati is the goddess of _____.
14. What is the sky divided into in "A Spell to Turn Back the Departing Spirit"?
(a) Six quadrants.
(b) Four quarters.
(c) Three levels.
(d) Two planes.
15. What are the instruments for ritual sometimes called?
(b) Game tools.
(d) Storm elements.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the horse's thirty-six ribs are distributed to the universe in ritual sacrifice?
2. At the end of "The Birth of Agni", what does Agni turn into?
3. How many people slaughter the horse of Tvastr during sacrifice?
4. Who are the ancient dark divinities?
5. Susna is the demon of _____.
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)