|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard Allen Mesinger doing at the moment he is killed?
2. According to the novel, how long was Richard Allen Mesinger "supposed" to have lived?
3. When was Richard Allen Mesington born?
4. What were the small boys called who hauled powder from the magazine to the cannon during the Revolutionary War?
5. Who tells Peggy that Richard Allen Mesington has a crush on her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tim Harrow owns the "sweet" rifle for a few days. He buys it, wraps it up in cloth, and trades it away a few days later. As a character, Harrow has no narrative function beyond transporting the rifle from point A to point B, just like Sarah, an editor, an antique dealer, and a gun collector. Yet the novel spends a significant portion of its space developing Harrow as a character. Why?
2. Tim Harrow is characterized as a fringe "crazy" person; the narrative openly mocks him. What actions does he perform in the novel that would make you shun him in the real world?
3. Is the "sweet" rifle a work of art?
4. How is Harv Kline characterized in the novel?
5. The novel summarizes the life that Richard Allen Mesinger "would" have had if he had not been killed. Is this a valid narrative technique?
6. Describe the early life of Richard Allen Mesinger .
7. What happens when the rifle accidentally discharges above Harv Kline's fireplace?
8. Describe the several career paths that Mesinger contemplates during his early life.
9. What message does the novel convey?
10. Why don't the Mesinger and the Kline children play together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, the black powder rifle discharges after 217 of being loaded. Is this credible? Or is it merely a piece of melodrama to establish a political opinion within the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, is the "sweet" rifle a character or an object? Defend your selection.
Essay Topic 3
John Byam kills his first man when he shoots a British Officer who is about to hang one of Byam's friends. Byam doesn't spend any time thinking about his action before shooting the British Officer. Do you think that Byam made the right choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)