|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the novel, how much pressure does a black powder charge generate?
2. In the novel, how many people actually fire the "sweet" rifle?
3. Why does Harv Kline have candles on display for Christmas?
4. When Richard Allen Mesington is eleven and twelve years old what is his favorite hobby?
5. According to the novel, why were all guns kept loaded prior to 1850?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the novel spend so much time characterizing Richard Allen Mesinger? After all, his interaction with the rifle lasts less than one second and the narrative makes it clear that Mesinger never even knew he was being killed. Within the narrative, what difference does it make that Mesinger was who he was?
Essay Topic 2
Of the major characters in the novel (Cornish McManus, John Byam, Tim Harrow, Harv Kline, and Richard Allen Mesinger), are any of them heroic? If not, why not. If so, who is heroic and why do you consider them heroic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the appearance of the rifle. Explain why it looks the way that it looks.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)