|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Richard Allen Mesington born?
2. What happens to black powder if it is exposed to the air for a long period of time?
3. According to the novel, what is the muzzle velocity of a black powder rifle's projectile?
4. When he is an infant, how does Richard Allen Mesington get Sissy to stop walking?
5. When Richard Allen Mesington is fourteen years old he considers pursuing all of the following careers except?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't the Mesinger and the Kline children play together?
2. Describe the chain of events that leads to the rifle being accidentally discharged.
3. Tim Harrow is characterized as a fringe "crazy" person; the narrative openly mocks him. What actions does he perform in the novel that would make you shun him in the real world?
4. What happens when the rifle accidentally discharges above Harv Kline's fireplace?
5. The novel summarizes the life that Richard Allen Mesinger "would" have had if he had not been killed. Is this a valid narrative technique?
6. How many people own the "sweet" rifle?
7. What happens to the adults that survive the accidental death of Richard Allen Mesinger?
8. Describe the several career paths that Mesinger contemplates during his early life.
9. The novel openly mocks Tim Harrow's personal philosophy that draws from firearms and American history, the United States Constitution, and Christianity. Do you think that these sources of information are suitable for mockery?
10. Who is the most sympathetic character in the novel, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the appearance of the rifle. Explain why it looks the way that it looks.
Essay Topic 2
The novel argues that during the Colonial period rifles were needed tools but that in today's society they are no longer useful. Discuss this contrast.
Essay Topic 3
When rifle kills British officers, who is doing the killing--Byam or the rifle? When the rifle kills Richard David Mesinger, who is doing the killing--Harv Kline or the rifle? Why are the two situations different? Compare and contrast.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)