|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Richard Allen Mesington's first pet dog named?
2. Who is Richard Allen Mesington's first girlfriend?
3. Who tells Peggy that Richard Allen Mesington has a crush on her?
4. What were prohibited in the powder magazine of Revolutionary War ships?
5. When Richard Allen Mesington is fourteen years old, who is his girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. The novel openly mocks Tim Harrow's personal philosophy that draws from firearms and American history, the United States Constitution, and Christianity. Do you think that these sources of information are suitable for mockery?
2. Describe Richard Allen Mesinger's early teenage life.
3. What happens to the adults that survive the accidental death of Richard Allen Mesinger?
4. Describe the several career paths that Mesinger contemplates during his early life.
5. The Mesinger family moves several times during the novel; what impact does this have on Richard Allen Mesinger?
6. Tim Harrow is characterized as a fringe "crazy" person; the narrative openly mocks him. What actions does he perform in the novel that would make you shun him in the real world?
7. Sarah steals the rifle from John Byam as he dies; does Tilson steal the rifle from Harv Kline?
8. What experiences does Mesinger have with firearms in his life?
9. Throughout the 217 year history of the "sweet" rifle, what is it functionally used for?
10. Do you think that Harv Kline feels he got a fair exchange with Tim Harrow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the appearance of the rifle. Explain why it looks the way that it looks.
Essay Topic 2
When rifle kills British officers, who is doing the killing--Byam or the rifle? When the rifle kills Richard David Mesinger, who is doing the killing--Harv Kline or the rifle? Why are the two situations different? Compare and contrast.
Essay Topic 3
Of the major characters in the novel (Cornish McManus, John Byam, Tim Harrow, Harv Kline, and Richard Allen Mesinger), are any of them villains? If not, why not. If so, who is a villain and why do you consider them to be a villain?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)