|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard Allen Mesington is fourteen years old he considers pursuing all of the following careers except?
2. From age seven to nine years old, Richard Allen Mesington believes he will pursue which profession?
3. Which of the following does not describe the loading process used by John Byam to load the "sweet" rifle?
4. According to the novel, how many baseball games did Richard Allen Mesinger watch in an average year?
5. Who lives next door to the Richard Allen Mesington family in Missouri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of the major characters in the novel (Cornish McManus, John Byam, Tim Harrow, Harv Kline, and Richard Allen Mesinger), are any of them villains? If not, why not. If so, who is a villain and why do you consider them to be a villain?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the novel "need" to have the accidental discharge come from an old muzzle-loading, black powder rifle? Wouldn't the novel work just as well with an AK-47 hanging above Kline's mantel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the early life and the family life of Richard Allen Mesinger. Why is it important within the narrative that Mesinger is a likable and typical teenager?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)