|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the novel, what was the leading cause of death to voyagers along the Oregon Trail?
2. How quickly does Richard Allen Mesinger die after being shot?
3. Who is Richard Allen Mesington's best friend?
4. What does Richard Allen Mesington call the first heavy equipment he sees moving earth?
5. Who lives next door to the Richard Allen Mesington family in Missouri?
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, is the "sweet" rifle a character or an object? Defend your selection.
Essay Topic 2
Of the major characters in the novel (Cornish McManus, John Byam, Tim Harrow, Harv Kline, and Richard Allen Mesinger), are any of them heroic? If not, why not. If so, who is heroic and why do you consider them heroic?
Essay Topic 3
John Byam kills his first man when he shoots a British Officer who is about to hang one of Byam's friends. Byam doesn't spend any time thinking about his action before shooting the British Officer. Do you think that Byam made the right choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)