|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the novel, what was the leading cause of death to voyagers along the Oregon Trail?
2. How quickly does Richard Allen Mesinger die after being shot?
3. Who is Richard Allen Mesington's best friend?
4. What does Richard Allen Mesington call the first heavy equipment he sees moving earth?
5. Who lives next door to the Richard Allen Mesington family in Missouri?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the novel spend so much time characterizing Richard Allen Mesinger? After all, his interaction with the rifle lasts less than one second and the narrative makes it clear that Mesinger never even knew he was being killed. Within the narrative, what difference does it make that Mesinger was who he was?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the early life and the family life of Richard Allen Mesinger. Why is it important within the narrative that Mesinger is a likable and typical teenager?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, is the "sweet" rifle a character or an object? Defend your selection.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)