|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cornish McManus decide to sell his "sweet" rifle?
2. How does John Byam die?
3. After buying the "sweet" rifle, what is the first thing John Byam uses it for?
4. How much money does Tim Harrow have hidden in his mobile home?
5. How much does Tim Harrow tell Harv Kline the "sweet" rifle is worth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how life in the American army forces is presented in the novel.
2. Describe the initial organization of McRary's Rangers.
3. The cover image of several common editions of the book shows a left-handed flintlock rifle. Does the book describe the rifle as being left-handed?
4. Why does John Byam kill the first British officer that he kills?
5. Why do the British hang Cornish McManus?
6. Does the "sweet" rifle have a will of its own?
7. The last time he loaded his rifle, John Byam used an extraordinary amount of care during the process. Do you think he always was so careful when loading?
8. How long does Cornish McManus own his "sweet" rifle before he sells it?
9. Why does John Byam offer so much wealth in exchange for Cornish McManus' "sweet" rifle?
10. The novel spends many pages describing the construction of the rifle. Do you have a clear mental image of the processes involved in hand-making a muzzle-loading rifle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the characterization of Tim Harrow in the novel. Why is Tim even characterized? Why is he characterized as a fringe "crazy"? What role does the character play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the novel spend so much time characterizing Richard Allen Mesinger? After all, his interaction with the rifle lasts less than one second and the narrative makes it clear that Mesinger never even knew he was being killed. Within the narrative, what difference does it make that Mesinger was who he was?
Essay Topic 3
John Byam kills his first man when he shoots a British Officer who is about to hang one of Byam's friends. Byam doesn't spend any time thinking about his action before shooting the British Officer. Do you think that Byam made the right choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)