|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of heel drop does Cornish McManus use on the butt stock of his "sweet" rifle?
(a) There is no heel drop
(b) He uses twice as much as normal
(c) He uses only half as much drop as normal
(d) He follows the British pattern
2. How much does John Byam pay Cornish McManus in exchange for the "sweet" rifle?
(a) Two thousand dollars
(b) Six hundredweight of flour
(c) Two hundred guineas
(d) A year's worth of cured hides
3. Although the unnamed man whose children find the "sweet" rifle in the attic of their new house finds it beautiful, he gets rid of it. Why?
(a) His wife is afraid of guns
(b) He needs money so he sells it
(c) He doesn't have a gun permit
(d) He already has a gun
4. What is the final operation in the construction of Cornish McManus' "sweet" rifle?
(a) Fitting the barrel to the stock
(b) Selecting the stock blank
(c) Drilling the hole from the pan through the barrel
(d) Welding on the front sight
5. What type of shot is Cornish McManus?
(a) McManus never shoots a gun in the novel
(b) McManus is a crack shot
(c) McManus is a bad shot
(d) McManus is an average shot
Short Answer Questions
1. Although he buys and sells guns constantly, Tim Harrow never has fewer than how many guns?
2. After Cornish McManus sells his "sweet" rifle to John Byam, what happens to him [McManus]?
3. How does John Byam die?
4. How much force does it take on the trigger to fire that "sweet" rifle that Cornish McManus builds?
5. According to the novel, how much would the "sweet" rifle be worth if its provenance were known and proved?
Short Essay Questions
1. The cover image of several common editions of the book shows a left-handed flintlock rifle. Does the book describe the rifle as being left-handed?
2. When John Byam uses the rifle to kill British officers, who is doing the killing--Byam or the rifle?
3. Why does Cornish McManus decide to sell the "sweet" rifle, one of his most-cherished possessions?
4. In reading the novel, do you think of the "sweet" Rifle as a character or as an object?
5. Do you think that John Byam "got his money's worth" out of the "sweet" rifle?
6. Why does John Byam kill the first British officer that he kills?
7. Do you think that John Waynewright would have valued Cornish McManus's "sweet" rifle?
8. Why does John Byam offer so much wealth in exchange for Cornish McManus' "sweet" rifle?
9. What does John Byam use the "sweet" rifle for?
10. What was the leading cause of death among American Revolutionary War soldiers?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)