|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After John Byam, what act is never performed on the "sweet" rifle?
(a) Firing it
(b) Checking to see if it is loaded
(c) Cleaning it up
(d) Selling it
2. The novel states that black powder has what chemical property?
(a) It is poisonous if ingested
(b) It is very corrosive
(c) It will dissolve if it gets moist
(d) It is extremely explosive
3. According to the novel, why were all guns kept loaded prior to 1850?
(a) Because they took so long to load
(b) Because powder would spoil if not loaded immediately
(c) Because gun owners lacked common sense
(d) It was the law
4. According to the novel, how old was Richard Allen Mesinger "supposed" to be when he died?
(b) Old enough to know not to play with guns
5. According to the novel, how fast is the rifle ball traveling when it hits Richard Allen Mesinger?
(a) 1,000 feet per second
(b) Mach 2
(c) About 20 miles per hour
(d) About 30 long paces
6. How long does the "sweet" rifle stay loaded before it is finally discharged?
(a) 12 days
(b) 217 years
(c) 371 years
(d) 2 weeks
7. According to the novel, why does the black powder in the "sweet" rifle remain explosive after hundreds of years?
(a) It was a modern type of powder
(b) It was wrapped in a linen cartridge
(c) Grease used in loading formed an airtight seal
(d) The rifle's small caliber preserved the powder
8. According to the novel, how much time elapses between the spark setting off the "sweet" rifle and Richard Allen Mesinger's death?
(a) Less than 1.5 minutes
(b) Less than 1.5 hours
(c) Less than 1.5 days
(d) Less than 1.5 seconds
9. With which relative is Richard Allen Mesington particularly close?
(a) His adopted little sister
(b) His grandfather
(c) His son
(d) His cousin
10. How does Richard Allen Mesington think about firearms?
(a) He loves them
(b) He doesn't think about them
(c) He is terrified of them
(d) He thinks he's like to learn how to make them
11. Where is Richard Allen Mesinger shot?
(a) The forehead
(b) In the British trenches
(c) The heart
12. What constituted the "door" to the powder magazine in Revolutionary War ships?
(a) A porthole
(b) A wet blanket
(c) A black line on the floor
(d) The sentry's crossed bayonets
13. What actually ignites the black powder in the "sweet" rifle as it hangs in Harv Kline's house?
(a) Harv Kline's cigarette
(b) A candle flame
(c) A spark form the fire
(d) The flint striking the frizzen
14. How long does Sissy live?
(a) At least fifteen years
(b) Four years
(c) About six years after Richard Allen Mesington is born
(d) She's killed by a car when she's just a puppy
15. How old is Richard Allen Mesington when he has his first crush on Peggy?
(a) Fourteen years old
(b) Nine years old
(c) Sixteen years old
(d) Twenty years old
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the novel, what would Richard Allen Mesinger have done had he not been shot?
2. According to the novel, what was the leading cause of death to voyagers along the Oregon Trail?
3. When Richard Allen Mesington is four years old, he has an exciting experience doing what?
4. What happens to black powder if it is exposed to the air for a long period of time?
5. What is Harv Kline's favorite time of year?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)