|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Sissy live?
(a) At least fifteen years
(b) She's killed by a car when she's just a puppy
(c) Four years
(d) About six years after Richard Allen Mesington is born
2. What happened to Mrs. Mesinger after Richard Allen Mesinger's death?
(a) She moved to California
(b) She went insane
(c) She forgot about the "sweet" rifle in her attic
(d) The British soldiers hung her also
3. What does the Mesinger family do in the early evening of Christmas Eve, 1993?
(a) They sit down to a huge dinner of goose
(b) They go snow sledding
(c) They play "sub-for-Santa" with the Kline family
(d) They walk the neighborhood looking at Christmas decorations
4. About when were Harv Kline's two children born?
(a) 1982 and 1984
(b) 1993 and 1995
(c) 1776 and 1778
(d) 1865 and 1867
5. According to the novel, how many baseball games did Richard Allen Mesinger watch in an average year?
(b) Two or three a week, all season long
(c) Over 100
(d) He didn't watch baseball
6. For what did sailing ships in the Revolutionary War use black power?
(a) To cook meals
(b) To charge their cannon
(c) As a fuel in the engine
(d) They didn't use blackpowder onboard sailing ships
7. According to the novel, how long was Richard Allen Mesinger "supposed" to have lived?
(a) An additional 60 years
(b) Long enough to discover a genetic cure for cancer
(c) To age forty
(d) To age fourteen
8. When Richard Allen Mesington is four years old, he has an exciting experience doing what?
(a) Riding in a mobile home
(b) Shooting a rifle
(c) Riding on a backhoe while it works
(d) Hunting with his father
9. Which of the following does not describe the loading process used by John Byam to load the "sweet" rifle?
(a) He used a greased patch
(b) He dabbed grease into the touch hole
(c) He swaged out the greased patch
(d) He used a needle to clean out the touch hole
10. When he is an infant, how does Richard Allen Mesington get Sissy to stop walking?
(a) He says he'll tell his mom if she doesn't do what he says
(b) He asks her to stop
(c) He sits down and cries
(d) He pulls her fur
11. When was Richard Allen Mesington born?
(a) October 13, 1979
(b) The novel doesn't say
(c) In early 1993
(d) July 4, 1776
12. What can comparing the length of the ramrod to the length of the barrel demonstrate with a muzzle-loading rifle?
(a) Whether it is loaded
(b) Whether it is a "sweet" rifle
(c) How accurate the rifle is
(d) Whether it is British or American manufacture
13. According to the novel, why were all guns kept loaded prior to 1850?
(a) Because they took so long to load
(b) Because gun owners lacked common sense
(c) It was the law
(d) Because powder would spoil if not loaded immediately
14. Who lives next door to the Richard Allen Mesington family in Missouri?
(a) Cornish McManus
(b) Harv Kline
(c) Tim Harrow
(d) John Byam
15. What profession does Richard Allen Mesington first believe he will pursue?
(b) A veterinarian
(c) A United States Marine
(d) A heavy equipment operator
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the novel, what is the muzzle velocity of a black powder rifle's projectile?
2. What happened to Harv Kline after Richard Allen Mesinger's death?
3. According to the novel, how much time elapses between the spark setting off the "sweet" rifle and Richard Allen Mesinger's death?
4. How does Richard Allen Mesington refer to the first bear he sees as an infant?
5. Why doesn't Richard Allen Mesington tell Peggy that he loves her?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)