|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cornish McManus establishes a gunsmith shop near what major city?
(a) New York
(d) Salt Lake City
2. What type of lock does Cornish McManus fit into his "sweet" rifle?
(a) A match lock
(b) A padlock
(c) A Browning lock
(d) A flintlock
3. What does rifling do for a rifle?
(a) Spins the projectile, making it more accurate
(b) Helps the powder burn more quickly
(c) Makes it easier to clean
(d) Makes it easier to load
4. What color is the barrel for Cornish McManus' "sweet" rifle when he is completely finished with it?
(a) A deep blue
(b) Neary black
(c) A deep plum-brown
(d) He leaves it in the white
5. What is the name of the hand tool that Cornish McManus used to cut the barrel channel into the stock of his "sweet" rifle?
(a) A bore punch
(b) A mold
(c) A rifling saw
(d) A burr
6. What type of heel drop does Cornish McManus use on the butt stock of his "sweet" rifle?
(a) He uses only half as much drop as normal
(b) He uses twice as much as normal
(c) There is no heel drop
(d) He follows the British pattern
7. How does John Byam die?
(a) He dies of dysentery
(b) He is shot by the British during a skirmish
(c) He is hung by the Americans for desertion
(d) He shoots himself by accident while cleaning his rifle
8. Tim Harrow's vest has all of the following slogans except?
(a) I'll give up my guns when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.
(b) Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
(c) If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
(d) Register criminals, not guns.
9. In New York, John Byam often shoots and kills English soldiers in the opposite lines at what range?
(a) Byam doesn't shoot any English soldiers
(b) Fifteen feet
(c) Three hundred yards
(d) About one mile
10. On one occasion John Byam shoots how many British officers in just a few moments?
11. According to the novel, how often do police use firearms to shoot criminals?
(a) Once or twice a year
(b) Several times during an average career
(c) Almost every day
(d) Almost never
12. How long does it take Cornish McManus to manufacture the barrel of his "sweet" rifle?
(a) Six months
(b) Four hours
(c) Two years
(d) He doesn't manufacture it--he buys it
13. What does Cornish McManus make out of rough-sawn "blanks"?
(a) Roofing shingles
(c) Gun barrels
(d) Pistol grips
14. After buying the "sweet" rifle for twenty-five dollars, for how much does the antique store owner sell the weapon?
(a) Twenty thousand dollars
(b) Two thousand dollars
(c) Two hundred dollars
(d) Two hundred thousand dollars
15. Tim Harrow's mind is swirling with all of the following except?
(a) Information about the United States Constitution
(b) Information about guns
(c) Information about literature
(d) Information about Christianity
Short Answer Questions
1. British forces hang a farmer named Bainbridge because they find what hidden on his property?
2. After buying the "sweet" rifle, what is the first thing John Byam uses it for?
3. What event in American history does Tim Harrow know the most about?
4. What material does Cornish McManus use to build the butt plate, the patch box, the keys, and the cap of this "sweet" rifle?
5. What is the longitudinal exterior shape of the barrel of Cornish McManus' "sweet" rifle?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)