|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cornish McManus cast bullets that are a little too small for the rifle's bore?
(a) Because he doesn't know what he's doing
(b) So they can be loaded quickly
(c) So they can be used with a patch
(d) So they will be inaccurate
2. How much money does Tim Harrow have hidden in his mobile home?
(a) About twenty thousand dollars in cash and gold
(b) Over one million dollars in cash and gold
(c) Only a few dollars
3. Why does the unnamed gun collector buy the "sweet" rifle from an antique shop?
(a) To sell it at a gun show and make some money
(b) He wants to use it to shoot Richard Allen Mesinger
(c) To write a book about its history
(d) To donate it to a museum
4. How many rifling grooves does Cornish McManus cut in the barrel of his "sweet" rifle?
5. Who built the rifle discussed in the novel?
(a) Joe Manton
(b) John Waynewright
(c) John Byam
(d) Cornish McManus
6. What tall tale does Tim Harrow make up about the "sweet" rifle that, unbeknownst to him, is actually true?
(a) That is was used to assassinate President Lincoln
(b) That it once was owned by Thomas Jefferson
(c) That is was used in the American Civil War
(d) That it was used in the American Revolutionary War
7. In Cornish McManus' opinion, what is the most significant aspect of a rifle?
8. What is the name of the part of a flintlock rifle that holds the priming charge?
(a) The hammer
(b) The patch box
(c) The pan
(d) The bolster
9. How much does John Byam pay Cornish McManus in exchange for the "sweet" rifle?
(a) Six hundredweight of flour
(b) Two hundred guineas
(c) A year's worth of cured hides
(d) Two thousand dollars
10. What does Cornish McManus use to polish the bore of his "sweet" rifle?
(a) Emery paper
(b) A rag soaked in lard and very fine strained sand
(c) Steel wool
(d) Cow's urine
11. What does Sarah hope to do with John Byam's "sweet" rifle?
(a) Use it to assassinate Colonel Bainbridge
(b) Sell it for money
(c) Make copies of it
(d) Give it to one of her sons
12. On the rifle that Cornish McManus builds, what is the name of the part that holds the flint?
(a) The bore
(b) The frizzen
(c) The hammer
(d) The patch box
13. According to the novel, how often do police use firearms to shoot criminals?
(a) Several times during an average career
(b) Almost every day
(c) Once or twice a year
(d) Almost never
14. Why does Cornish McManus choose a small caliber for his "sweet" rifle?
(a) He doesn't know what he's doing
(b) He only has a small barrel mandrel
(c) In his experience, the smaller caliber is more accurate than the larger calibers
(d) As a protest against John Wainwright
15. On one occasion John Byam shoots how many British officers in just a few moments?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was curly maple so prized for gun-stocks?
2. Tim Harrow's mind is swirling with all of the following except?
3. Most rifles of the American Revolutionary War period were .58 to .75 caliber. What caliber was Cornish McManus' "sweet" rifle?
4. Who repairs the fuel pump on Tim Harrow's mobile home?
5. What type of grease does Cornish McManus use to lubricate his patches?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)