|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of shot is Cornish McManus?
(a) McManus is a bad shot
(b) McManus never shoots a gun in the novel
(c) McManus is an average shot
(d) McManus is a crack shot
2. What surprises Cornish McManus the most when first he test fires the rifle?
(a) The rifle doesn't make very much noise
(b) The rifle doesn't fire
(c) Three shots go into the same hole on the target
(d) The rifle kicks like a mule
3. What tall tale does Tim Harrow make up about the "sweet" rifle that, unbeknownst to him, is actually true?
(a) That is was used to assassinate President Lincoln
(b) That it once was owned by Thomas Jefferson
(c) That is was used in the American Civil War
(d) That it was used in the American Revolutionary War
4. After John Byam shoots his first British soldier, what group does he join?
(a) McNary's Rangers
(b) Washington's Bushwhackers
(c) The Green Mountain Boys
(d) The Black Sheep Squadron
5. Tim Harrow is honorably discharged from which branch of the armed forces?
(a) The navy
(b) The army
(c) The air force
(d) The Marines
6. According to the novel, how often do police use firearms to shoot criminals?
(a) Once or twice a year
(b) Almost every day
(c) Several times during an average career
(d) Almost never
7. What is the final operation in the construction of Cornish McManus' "sweet" rifle?
(a) Drilling the hole from the pan through the barrel
(b) Welding on the front sight
(c) Fitting the barrel to the stock
(d) Selecting the stock blank
8. In Cornish McManus' opinion, what is the most significant aspect of a rifle?
9. What is the twist rate of the rifling of the barrel of Cornish McManus' "sweet" rifle?
(a) One turn in thirty-five inches
(b) One turn in thirty-five yards
(c) One turn in six inches
(d) It doesn't twist
10. What kills most of the soldiers during the American Revolutionary War?
11. On the rifle that Cornish McManus builds, what is the name of the part that holds the flint?
(a) The hammer
(b) The frizzen
(c) The bore
(d) The patch box
12. How long does it take McNary's Rangers to travel from Philadelphia to New York?
(a) About six months
(b) Six weeks
(c) Six hours
(d) A few days
13. According to the novel, what is the curve of a bullet's nose called?
(a) Hollow point
(b) The secant ogive
(c) Sugar loaf
(d) The snout
14. In the rifle that Cornish McManus builds, what strikes a steel surface to fire the gun?
(a) A piece of flint
(b) The hammer
(c) The frizzen
(d) A fulminating cap
15. How much does Tim Harrow pay for the "sweet" rifle when he buys it at an Arkansas gun show?
(a) Two cases of beer
(b) Three hundred and fifty dollars
(c) Twenty-five dollars
(d) Three thousand five hundred dollars
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rifling grooves does Cornish McManus cut in the barrel of his "sweet" rifle?
2. What color is the barrel for Cornish McManus' "sweet" rifle when he is completely finished with it?
3. What event in American history does Tim Harrow know the most about?
4. What does Cornish McManus use to put the final finish and shine on his "sweet" rifle?
5. What material does Cornish McManus use to brown the exterior surface of a barrel?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)