|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cornish McManus use to polish the bore of his "sweet" rifle?
(a) Cow's urine
(b) Emery paper
(c) Steel wool
(d) A rag soaked in lard and very fine strained sand
2. Who built the rifle discussed in the novel?
(a) Joe Manton
(b) Cornish McManus
(c) John Waynewright
(d) John Byam
3. After John Byam shoots his first British soldier, what group does he join?
(a) McNary's Rangers
(b) The Black Sheep Squadron
(c) The Green Mountain Boys
(d) Washington's Bushwhackers
4. In New York, John Byam often shoots and kills English soldiers in the opposite lines at what range?
(a) Three hundred yards
(b) Fifteen feet
(c) About one mile
(d) Byam doesn't shoot any English soldiers
5. What kills most of the soldiers during the American Revolutionary War?
6. What material does Cornish McManus use to brown the exterior surface of a barrel?
(a) Shoe polish
(d) Cow's urine
7. Tim Harrow's vest has all of the following slogans except?
(a) Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
(b) Register criminals, not guns.
(c) I'll give up my guns when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.
(d) If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
8. When the "sweet" rifle is first sold in 1993 as "just a piece of junk" (p. 52) how much does it sell for?
(a) Twenty-five dollars
(b) Two thousand dollars
(c) Twenty-five cents
(d) It's not sold but traded for a painting of Elvis Presley
9. Harv Kline agrees to fix Tim Harrow's vehicle in exchange for what?
(a) A kiss from Harrow's wife
(b) A motorcycle
(c) A case of beer
(d) The "sweet" rifle and a velvet painting of Elvis Presley
10. How much does Tim Harrow pay for the "sweet" rifle when he buys it at an Arkansas gun show?
(a) Twenty-five dollars
(b) Three hundred and fifty dollars
(c) Three thousand five hundred dollars
(d) Two cases of beer
11. According to the novel, what does a faster rate of spin do for a projectile?
(a) Makes it hit harder
(b) Makes it move slower
(c) Makes it more accurate
(d) Makes it move faster
12. Tim Harrow's mind is swirling with all of the following except?
(a) Information about the United States Constitution
(b) Information about Christianity
(c) Information about guns
(d) Information about literature
13. How many "sweet" rifles was an average gunsmith likely to make in their career?
14. What do the colonials call Americans who do not want to gain independence from British rule?
15. John Waynewright often complains that Cornish McManus is too what?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Revolutionary war period a typical rifle was accurate at what distance?
2. How much does Harv Kline want to charge Tim Harrow for fixing his vehicle?
3. What type of lock does Cornish McManus fit into his "sweet" rifle?
4. Over what distance does John Byam shoot when he kills his first British soldier?
5. What does Cornish McManus make out of rough-sawn "blanks"?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)