|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Joining, and The Rifle.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the novel, why does the black powder in the "sweet" rifle remain explosive after hundreds of years?
(a) It was a modern type of powder
(b) Grease used in loading formed an airtight seal
(c) The rifle's small caliber preserved the powder
(d) It was wrapped in a linen cartridge
2. What does Cornish McManus use to polish the bore of his "sweet" rifle?
(a) A rag soaked in lard and very fine strained sand
(b) Cow's urine
(c) Steel wool
(d) Emery paper
3. How old is Richard Allen Mesington when he stops believing in Santa Claus?
(a) Two years old
(b) Sixteen years old
(c) Six years old
(d) He never believes in Santa Claus because of his father's early death
4. What is the final operation in the construction of Cornish McManus' "sweet" rifle?
(a) Welding on the front sight
(b) Fitting the barrel to the stock
(c) Selecting the stock blank
(d) Drilling the hole from the pan through the barrel
5. Tim Harrow is honorably discharged from which branch of the armed forces?
(a) The Marines
(b) The army
(c) The navy
(d) The air force
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the "sweet" rifle remain from c. 1776 until 1993?
2. After buying the "sweet" rifle for twenty-five dollars, for how much does the antique store owner sell the weapon?
3. What type of rifle is Cornish McManus's "sweet" rifle?
4. British forces hang a farmer named Bainbridge because they find what hidden on his property?
5. What type of grease does Cornish McManus use to lubricate his patches?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)