|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the hotel Brown first checked into when he arrived in Los Angeles?
2. In what kind of church do the the Militants have their offices?
3. With what are thirteen of the Chicano Militants being charged?
4. What is the name of the church the three hundred Chicanos have gathered around?
5. What store do Brown and the others talk about bombing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the prisoner testify about the blankets?
2. How does Brown deal with the situation after the police have made their arrests?
3. How do the leaders find a way into the church?
4. What does Brown do after Robert's hearing?
5. Why is the Belmont hotel a place for Brown to live?
6. Describe the demonstration.
7. What are the results of Robert's autopsy?
8. Why does the mayor want to talk to Brown and the East Los Angeles Group?
9. Why do the Chicano groups not support the militants' attack on St. Basil's church?
10. What problems do the Chicano Militants have at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss that character's goals and motives. Do they achieve their goals? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could the Grand Jury be seen as racist? How can Brown use this accusation against them? How has the Supreme Court tried to counter racism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1960s. In what ways are the characters a product of their time? How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)