|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Los Angles mayor?
2. What did Robert's family notice on Robert's face at his funeral?
3. What does the church office tell Brown on the phone?
4. How is Dave related to Brown?
5. What did the police threaten to do to Lupe when she asked them what happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What agreement does Brown make with Gilbert in this section?
2. What does Brown arrange at the coroner's office?
3. What does the prisoner testify about the blankets?
4. How does the author describe the area surrounding St. Basil's church?
5. Why do the Chicano groups not support the militants' attack on St. Basil's church?
6. How does Brown deal with the situation after the police have made their arrests?
7. How does Manny claim racism has stopped him from becoming famous?
8. What plans does Brown make in Chapter 4?
9. What does Brown say inspired him to practice criminal law?
10. What problems do the Chicano Militants have at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Brown's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1) What did Brown hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events change Brown's ideas about life?
3) How has Brown's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between the younger and the older characters. What different experiences do both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is the generational gap expressed in the book particularly wide during this time, or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Brown want to become a criminal lawyer? What are Brown's strengths and weaknesses as a lawyer?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)