|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the politician who is killed in this section?
2. What was the name of the hotel Brown first checked into when he arrived in Los Angeles?
3. How did Brown travel to Los Angeles?
4. What name does Brown take for himself?
5. Who fires Cardinal McIntyre at the end of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Robert family refuse to believe that Robert hanged himself?
2. What does Brown do after Robert's hearing?
3. What does the prisoner testify about the blankets?
4. What problems do Brown and the law students cause Cardinal McIntyre in this section?
5. Why do the Chicano groups not support the militants' attack on St. Basil's church?
6. What plans does Brown make in Chapter 4?
7. What does the group find when they walk into the parking lot?
8. How does Manny claim racism has stopped him from becoming famous?
9. What does Brown arrange at the coroner's office?
10. What is Brown's role in the march in support of the East Los Angeles Thirteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of the 1960s. In what ways are the characters a product of their time? How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Brown's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1) What did Brown hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2) What events change Brown's ideas about life?
3) How has Brown's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Who were the Chicano militant leaders? What were their role in the Chicano Movement? How does Acosta represent each one in the book? How do these representations contribute to the book's overall meaning?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)