|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decided to interrogate the impostor after Martin arrived?
2. How did the impostor explain the timing of Martin's arrival?
3. When was Montaigne's book, "On the Lame," published?
4. Which of the following was a possible reason for Bertrande to pretend she didn't know the impostor was not Martin?
5. In the second trial of the impostor, what evidence showed us that Bertrande had not changed her mind about believing the impostor was the real Martin?
Essay Topic 1
Compare the views of today's parents on marriage and reproduction for their children to the views of parents in the 1500's. Show supporting details in your writing.
Essay Topic 2
What images does the author use to create a sense of the time the story takes place in? How do these images help the reader create a picture of Artigat in their minds?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Return of Martin Guerre," there are several references to widows preferring to stay widows. The author seems to suggest that being a widow equals freedom for women in the 16th century. What evidence is presented in the book to support this theory? How were women more free without their husbands?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)