|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Montaigne thought hanging Arnaud du Tilh was _____?
2. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Martin Guerre's 12 year absence?
3. What was the impostor's defense in the second trial?
4. Jean de Coras is believed to have been a supporter of what religion?
5. What two places has Jean de Coras been known to have studied law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The real Martin had trouble remembering events and details from his own life. The impostor, Arnaud remembered everything in great detail. Do you find it odd or natural that the person who lived the events would remember them with less clarity? What conclusions can you draw from this information? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Of the three main characters (Martin, Bertrande, and the impostor, Arnaud) who would you say is the victim? Are any of them victims? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 3
Roman law in the sixteenth century stated, "It is better to leave unpunished a guilty man than to condemn an innocent man." What does this mean? How does this law apply to the impostor, Arnaud?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)