|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Montaigne's opinion of Arnaud du Tihl?
2. Bertrande immediately recognized Martin and ran to hug him. What did she ask him for?
3. Where was Jean de Coras killed?
4. Why was Jean de Coras killed?
5. Jean de Coras was a well known lecturer of what kind of law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say Montaigne would have done if called to testify in the Martin Guerre Case?
2. What was the impostor's response to Martin's arrival in the days after their initial confrontation?
3. LeSueur's pamphlet, "Admiranda Historia," became hugely popular, very quickly. Why do you think this happened?
4. When questioned in court during the second trial what did the impostor do that convinced the judges of his innocence?
5. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
6. The judges were unsure of the impostor's guilt or innocence. How did the law's view of marriage play a role in the judge's decision?
7. Coras was a romantic. Give an example of one of his romantic gestures.
8. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
9. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
10. Why was Bertrande's testimony the most important? Why didn't the judges consider she might lie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The real Martin had trouble remembering events and details from his own life. The impostor, Arnaud remembered everything in great detail. Do you find it odd or natural that the person who lived the events would remember them with less clarity? What conclusions can you draw from this information? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What images does the author use to create a sense of the time the story takes place in? How do these images help the reader create a picture of Artigat in their minds?
Essay Topic 3
Of the three main characters (Martin, Bertrande, and the impostor, Arnaud) who would you say is the victim? Are any of them victims? Explain your position.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)