|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Guillaume Le Sueur get most of his information to write his book about Martin Guerre?
2. Why was Jean de Coras killed?
3. What judge's writings were the basis for much of The Return of Martin Guerre?
4. Who intervened when Martin got upset about the situation?
5. How many chambers did the Toulouse Parliament have?
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 5 depicted Bertrande and the impostor's marriage as strong and stable. Based on that information, one might predict when the real Martin returned, Bertrande would probably choose the impostor over Martin. Bertrande doesn't put up the slightest resistance however and turns her back on the impostor. Why do you think Bertrande reacted this way? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Of the three main characters (Martin, Bertrande, and the impostor, Arnaud) who would you say is the victim? Are any of them victims? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Bertrande and the impostor, Arnaud, ever talked about who he really was or do you think Bertrande preferred not to admit she knew the impostor was not Martin, even to the impostor? Back up your position with information from the book.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)