|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of the book, "On the Lame?"
2. Of the people who testified, how many testified the impostor was the real Martin?
3. Of the people who testified, how many testified that the impostor was indeed an impostor?
4. What was the title of the article Jean de Coras wrote about marriage?
5. What was the punishment for impersonating another person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Given that three people said they recognized the impostor even after he'd been living with Bertrande, do you think he would have eventually been exposed?
2. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
3. Why did the impostor ask the judge to move Bertrande away from Pierre in Chapter 7?
4. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
5. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
6. Why was Bertrande's testimony the most important? Why didn't the judges consider she might lie?
7. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
8. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
9. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
10. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bertrande seems to have easily adapted to each stage of her marriage to Martin. First, when she was forced to marry at a young age, then when she was reunited with the fake Martin, and in the last stage when she was reunited with the real Martin. Surely she must have felt some anxiety in each of those situations, but she seems to have taken the changes in stride. Based on this knowledge, what can we conclude about Bertrande's priorities? Who was she putting first? Why was she so willing to go along with whatever was thrown at her?
Essay Topic 2
Of the three main characters (Martin, Bertrande, and the impostor, Arnaud) who would you say is the victim? Are any of them victims? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 3
What images does the author use to create a sense of the time the story takes place in? How do these images help the reader create a picture of Artigat in their minds?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)