|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Martin's appeal was heard in what year?
2. What other language was, "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse" written in?
3. What happened to Judge Jean de Coras after his religious beliefs became known?
4. ____________________was a little known lawyer and writer.
5. How is "Arrest Memorable" different from "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
2. The judges were unsure of the impostor's guilt or innocence. How did the law's view of marriage play a role in the judge's decision?
3. Proving that a man is not who he says he is, in the 16th century, is difficult to nearly impossible. In Chapter 7, what are some ways for proving identity that the author mentions?
4. Why did the impostor ask the judge to move Bertrande away from Pierre in Chapter 7?
5. What does the author say Montaigne would have done if called to testify in the Martin Guerre Case?
6. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
7. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
8. In Coras' "comitragic" version of "Arrest Memorable" he wrote that a woman doing what she pleased with her body is worse than what the impostor did. What did he mean?
9. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
10. Why does Coras describe Martin's arrival, "Like a miracle."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author implies that more innocent changes, such as the Guerre's name change, are in some ways equivalent to what the impostor, Arnaud, did when he changed his identity. Do you agree with this implication? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the views of today's parents on marriage and reproduction for their children to the views of parents in the 1500's. Show supporting details in your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Bertrande and the impostor, Arnaud, ever talked about who he really was or do you think Bertrande preferred not to admit she knew the impostor was not Martin, even to the impostor? Back up your position with information from the book.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)