|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse," how was the story presented?
2. What two places has Jean de Coras been known to have studied law?
3. While in jail, Pierre was questioned by Judge Coras. How did Pierre change his story?
4. What was the title of the article Jean de Coras wrote about marriage?
5. How many times was Jean de Coras married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does the author state for her belief that Martin heard about the trial before he got to Artigat?
2. Why does Coras describe Martin's arrival, "Like a miracle."
3. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
4. Why did the impostor ask the judge to move Bertrande away from Pierre in Chapter 7?
5. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
6. LeSueur's pamphlet, "Admiranda Historia," became hugely popular, very quickly. Why do you think this happened?
7. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
8. Why is it said that Coras exaggerates in "Arrest Memorable?"
9. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
10. In Coras' "comitragic" version of "Arrest Memorable" he wrote that a woman doing what she pleased with her body is worse than what the impostor did. What did he mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protestants believed marriage was between the couple who considered themselves married and God and supported the act of divorce if it was necessary. Catholics supported arranged marriages and did not believe in divorce. The author speculates that Bertrande and the impostor, Arnaud, converted to the Protestant faith. Do you think the Protestant views had any effect on Bertrande's and the impostor's beliefs about marriage? Do you think they felt the religion absolved them of guilt?
Essay Topic 2
The impostor, Arnaud could have wanted to take Martin's identity for several reasons. The author lists reasons such as wanting a larger inheritance or looking for a new adventure. In your own words, write what you think is the impostor, Arnaud's main motivation for taking Martin's identity. Include supporting details to back your claim.
Essay Topic 3
In Judge Jean de Coras' "Arrest Memorable" much is made about the fact that he did not include the fact that both Bertrande and Pierre were imprisoned during the second trial. Given that we know very little about why they were jailed, and that Coras was there and should know, why do you think he left that part out of his book?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)