|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________________was a little known lawyer and writer.
2. About how many people came to testify in the impostor's trial?
3. What was the impostor's reaction when he was confronted by the real Martin?
4. The real Martin finally returns to Artigat. How many years had he been gone?
5. In the second trial of the impostor, what evidence showed us that Bertrande had not changed her mind about believing the impostor was the real Martin?
Essay Topic 1
The author writes about Judge Jean de Coras' feelings about Arnaud du Tihl, stating "There was something not only profoundly wrong but also profoundly right about the invented marriage of the new Martin and Bertrande de Rols." What do you think of this statement? We know how it was wrong, but how was it right? Do you agree with Coras' feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the impostor, Arnaud, protected Bertrande's involvement in the deception even in his last minute confession? What does this say about Arnaud? Does this act make him honorable to some degree?
Essay Topic 3
Protestants believed marriage was between the couple who considered themselves married and God and supported the act of divorce if it was necessary. Catholics supported arranged marriages and did not believe in divorce. The author speculates that Bertrande and the impostor, Arnaud, converted to the Protestant faith. Do you think the Protestant views had any effect on Bertrande's and the impostor's beliefs about marriage? Do you think they felt the religion absolved them of guilt?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)