|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in jail, Pierre was questioned by Judge Coras. How did Pierre change his story?
2. When face to face with the real Martin, how many of Martin's sisters recognized him?
3. Jean de Coras is believed to have been a supporter of what religion?
4. Why does the author suspect Martin showed up at the courthouse?
5. Why did the judge arrange a new place for Bertrande to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roman law in the sixteenth century stated, "It is better to leave unpunished a guilty man than to condemn an innocent man." What does this mean? How does this law apply to the impostor, Arnaud?
Essay Topic 2
The impostor, Arnaud could have wanted to take Martin's identity for several reasons. The author lists reasons such as wanting a larger inheritance or looking for a new adventure. In your own words, write what you think is the impostor, Arnaud's main motivation for taking Martin's identity. Include supporting details to back your claim.
Essay Topic 3
What images does the author use to create a sense of the time the story takes place in? How do these images help the reader create a picture of Artigat in their minds?
This section contains 1,205 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)