|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the impostor punished for his crimes?
2. What story does the author say compares to "The Return of Martin Guerre?"
3. How does the account in "Arrest Memorable" depict the impostor's memory?
4. How old was Judge Jean de Coras when the second trial began?
5. Of the people who testified that the impostor was the real Martin, who was the most influential?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Bertrande's testimony the most important? Why didn't the judges consider she might lie?
2. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
3. When questioned in court during the second trial what did the impostor do that convinced the judges of his innocence?
4. What reasons does the author state for her belief that Martin heard about the trial before he got to Artigat?
5. Given that three people said they recognized the impostor even after he'd been living with Bertrande, do you think he would have eventually been exposed?
6. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
7. What was the impostor's response to Martin's arrival in the days after their initial confrontation?
8. Coras was a romantic. Give an example of one of his romantic gestures.
9. Why does Coras describe Martin's arrival, "Like a miracle."
10. In Coras' "comitragic" version of "Arrest Memorable" he wrote that a woman doing what she pleased with her body is worse than what the impostor did. What did he mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Considering the three main characters (Martin, Bertrande, and the impostor, Arnaud) who do you find the most fascinating? Which one of these three do you think was the most complex? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The judges were about to find Arnaud not guilty when Martin returned. Based on what you know about the characters, place and time of this story, make predictions about what might have happened if Martin had not returned? Consider how Bertrande would have responded, as well as Pierre. What would Arnaud have done next? Would he have escalated his demands for records and land?
Essay Topic 3
If Pierre had been able to come up with the money and had the impostor, Arnaud, killed, how do you think things would have turned out? Would the truth still have come out?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)