|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Judge Coras is said to have believed marriage was between the couple and God. What religious view did this belief relate to in the 1500's?
2. What evidence was presented to prove the impostor was an impostor?
3. Jean de Coras is believed to have been a supporter of what religion?
4. Where did Guillaume Le Sueur get most of his information to write his book about Martin Guerre?
5. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Martin Guerre's 12 year absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it said that Coras exaggerates in "Arrest Memorable?"
2. Given that three people said they recognized the impostor even after he'd been living with Bertrande, do you think he would have eventually been exposed?
3. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
4. The judges were unsure of the impostor's guilt or innocence. How did the law's view of marriage play a role in the judge's decision?
5. Why was Bertrande's testimony the most important? Why didn't the judges consider she might lie?
6. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
7. What does the author say Montaigne would have done if called to testify in the Martin Guerre Case?
8. How important was Coras' Arrest Memorable" in the 16th century?
9. Why did the impostor ask the judge to move Bertrande away from Pierre in Chapter 7?
10. What reasons does the author state for her belief that Martin heard about the trial before he got to Artigat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The impostor, Arnaud could have wanted to take Martin's identity for several reasons. The author lists reasons such as wanting a larger inheritance or looking for a new adventure. In your own words, write what you think is the impostor, Arnaud's main motivation for taking Martin's identity. Include supporting details to back your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 5 depicted Bertrande and the impostor's marriage as strong and stable. Based on that information, one might predict when the real Martin returned, Bertrande would probably choose the impostor over Martin. Bertrande doesn't put up the slightest resistance however and turns her back on the impostor. Why do you think Bertrande reacted this way? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting contribute to the internal and external conflicts of the stories main characters?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)