|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Judge Jean de Coras after his religious beliefs became known?
2. When face to face with the real Martin, how many of Martin's sisters recognized him?
3. How did the impostor's brothers respond when asked to come to the court to testify?
4. Where did Guillaume Le Sueur get most of his information to write his book about Martin Guerre?
5. Jean de Coras is believed to have been a supporter of what religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. LeSueur's pamphlet, "Admiranda Historia," became hugely popular, very quickly. Why do you think this happened?
2. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
3. Coras was a romantic. Give an example of one of his romantic gestures.
4. Proving that a man is not who he says he is, in the 16th century, is difficult to nearly impossible. In Chapter 7, what are some ways for proving identity that the author mentions?
5. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
6. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
7. When questioned in court during the second trial what did the impostor do that convinced the judges of his innocence?
8. Why does Coras describe Martin's arrival, "Like a miracle."
9. What reasons does the author state for her belief that Martin heard about the trial before he got to Artigat?
10. What does the author say Montaigne would have done if called to testify in the Martin Guerre Case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What images does the author use to create a sense of the time the story takes place in? How do these images help the reader create a picture of Artigat in their minds?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the impostor, Arnaud, protected Bertrande's involvement in the deception even in his last minute confession? What does this say about Arnaud? Does this act make him honorable to some degree?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Bertrande and the impostor, Arnaud, ever talked about who he really was or do you think Bertrande preferred not to admit she knew the impostor was not Martin, even to the impostor? Back up your position with information from the book.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)