|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Guerre family changes their name in the story. What was their original name?
2. What was the relationship between Sanxi and Martin?
3. Martin is believed to have ended up in the army where he fought in and won a crucial battle. Which of the following is a battle Martin fought in?
4. Instead of considering Martin and Bertrande's problem as a medical condition, villagers believed they were ______.
5. What did Martin's uncle do that further complicated his and Bertrande's strained relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Women in the 1500's lived a somewhat oppressed existence. They were not included in family or village decisions. Their importance was recognized in their ability to work the fields or do housework and raise children. List one way women are the same today and one way they are different.
2. Why is it symbolic that Martin loses his leg in war?
3. In Chapter 3, the author wrote Bertrande was independent. List three examples that support this claim.
4. We know very little about why Martin left his family and disappeared. Why do you think he decided to leave?
5. Why was France on the verge of a religious civil war?
6. What fact does the author present that may give her reason to believe Sanxi had forgiven Martin before Sanxi died?
7. How was the Guerre's home village of Hendaye and their new village, Artigat, the same?
8. List some of the ways the impostor prepared to pass himself off as Martin.
9. The impostor went to great lengths to "become" Martin. Do you think this is evidence that his goal was to do more than collect an inheritance? Explain your answer.
10. In Chapter 4, what specific similarities does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bertrande seems to have easily adapted to each stage of her marriage to Martin. First, when she was forced to marry at a young age, then when she was reunited with the fake Martin, and in the last stage when she was reunited with the real Martin. Surely she must have felt some anxiety in each of those situations, but she seems to have taken the changes in stride. Based on this knowledge, what can we conclude about Bertrande's priorities? Who was she putting first? Why was she so willing to go along with whatever was thrown at her?
Essay Topic 2
Of the three main characters (Martin, Bertrande, and the impostor, Arnaud) who would you say is the victim? Are any of them victims? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 3
What images does the author use to create a sense of the time the story takes place in? How do these images help the reader create a picture of Artigat in their minds?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)