|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Land was limited in the impostor's village. How did peasants find enough land to farm?
2. What was the relationship between Sanxi and Pierre?
3. What village did the Guerre family move to?
4. How old was Martin's wife when he disappeared?
5. Who met the impostor first?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what specific differences does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
2. Why do you think Bertrande refused to get out of her marriage when she had the chance?
3. What ways does the author describe other cases of people taking a false identity?
4. In Chapter 6, what did the impostor do to elevate the Guerre family's status?
5. The impostor went to great lengths to "become" Martin. Do you think this is evidence that his goal was to do more than collect an inheritance? Explain your answer.
6. In Chapter 3, Bertrande described her life in thirds. What three titles did she give to each third?
7. After Pierre began accusing the impostor of being an impostor, what criminal course of action did Pierre take?
8. The author speculates in Chapter 4 that the impostor and Martin could have met during the war, but notes that in his confession, the impostor denied having met Martin. What do you think? Could they have met or was the impostor telling the truth? Explain your answers.
9. If passing soldiers in Hendaye were somehow ruining the land, why would that affect the Guerres?
10. How did Martin's name possibly contribute to his decision to disappear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bertrande seems to have easily adapted to each stage of her marriage to Martin. First, when she was forced to marry at a young age, then when she was reunited with the fake Martin, and in the last stage when she was reunited with the real Martin. Surely she must have felt some anxiety in each of those situations, but she seems to have taken the changes in stride. Based on this knowledge, what can we conclude about Bertrande's priorities? Who was she putting first? Why was she so willing to go along with whatever was thrown at her?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the impostor, Arnaud, protected Bertrande's involvement in the deception even in his last minute confession? What does this say about Arnaud? Does this act make him honorable to some degree?
Essay Topic 3
The real Martin had trouble remembering events and details from his own life. The impostor, Arnaud remembered everything in great detail. Do you find it odd or natural that the person who lived the events would remember them with less clarity? What conclusions can you draw from this information? Explain your answer.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)