|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alternate term is used for "Lord," in the impostor's old village?
2. Who was Bertrande most likely to have told her troubles to?
3. From what village did the Guerre family move?
4. What did Martin's uncle do that further complicated his and Bertrande's strained relationship?
5. Instead of considering Martin and Bertrande's problem as a medical condition, villagers believed they were ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. We know very little about why Martin left his family and disappeared. Why do you think he decided to leave?
2. Why would being Protestant help the impostor and Bertrande's case?
3. What fact does the author present that may give her reason to believe Sanxi had forgiven Martin before Sanxi died?
4. Women in the 1500's lived a somewhat oppressed existence. They were not included in family or village decisions. Their importance was recognized in their ability to work the fields or do housework and raise children. List one way women are the same today and one way they are different.
5. If passing soldiers in Hendaye were somehow ruining the land, why would that affect the Guerres?
6. The idea that Martin and Bertrande were "bewitched," is a laughable conclusion today. What is a more logical explanation for Martin and Bertrande's inability to consummate their marriage?
7. List some of the ways the impostor prepared to pass himself off as Martin.
8. Bertrande easily accepted the impostor as Martin. She is reported to have said "They passed the time like two married people." If she knew the impostor was a fake, why would she put up with him? Do you think it's possible Bertrande fell in love with the impostor?
9. Why does the author say the impostor was so easily accepted?
10. How did Martin's name possibly contribute to his decision to disappear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Bertrande and the impostor, Arnaud, ever talked about who he really was or do you think Bertrande preferred not to admit she knew the impostor was not Martin, even to the impostor? Back up your position with information from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In the story of The Return of Martin Guerre, much is made of the Catholic and Protestant religions. The author states that there were three Protestant judges and two Catholic judges in the second trial. She implies this might have had an affect on the outcome of the trial. Do you believe that religion was a strong enough factor to lead the court to hand down a not guilty verdict to a guilty man? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The author implies that more innocent changes, such as the Guerre's name change, are in some ways equivalent to what the impostor, Arnaud, did when he changed his identity. Do you agree with this implication? Why or why not?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)