|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sisters did the real Martin have?
2. What is the main theory of how the impostor learns about the missing Martin?
3. What did Martin's uncle do that further complicated his and Bertrande's strained relationship?
4. How were Martin's problems with producing an heir solved?
5. How long did it take the impostor to get from his old village to Artigat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the DaGuerres shortened their name to Guerre?
2. In Chapter 3, the author wrote Bertrande was independent. List three examples that support this claim.
3. In Chapter 4, what specific differences does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
4. The author speculates in Chapter 4 that the impostor and Martin could have met during the war, but notes that in his confession, the impostor denied having met Martin. What do you think? Could they have met or was the impostor telling the truth? Explain your answers.
5. How was the Guerre's home village of Hendaye and their new village, Artigat, the same?
6. The idea that Martin and Bertrande were "bewitched," is a laughable conclusion today. What is a more logical explanation for Martin and Bertrande's inability to consummate their marriage?
7. How did Martin's name possibly contribute to his decision to disappear?
8. What did the impostor do that began to upset Pierre?
9. How did Martin's years of impotence benefit Bertrande?
10. What ways does the author describe other cases of people taking a false identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting contribute to the internal and external conflicts of the stories main characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author implies that more innocent changes, such as the Guerre's name change, are in some ways equivalent to what the impostor, Arnaud, did when he changed his identity. Do you agree with this implication? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Roman law in the sixteenth century stated, "It is better to leave unpunished a guilty man than to condemn an innocent man." What does this mean? How does this law apply to the impostor, Arnaud?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)