|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the relationship between Sanxi and Pierre?
2. Why did Martin want to wait until a peace treaty was signed between France and Spain before he returned home?
3. With what does Martin's impostor threaten Pierre when he doesn't get his way?
4. Why did the author rule out the possibility of Martin having gone to the university?
5. How was Martin wounded in the Battle of Picardy?
Short Essay Questions
1. We know very little about why Martin left his family and disappeared. Why do you think he decided to leave?
2. How did Martin's years of impotence benefit Bertrande?
3. Why do you think Bertrande refused to get out of her marriage when she had the chance?
4. After Pierre began accusing the impostor of being an impostor, what criminal course of action did Pierre take?
5. Why do you think the DaGuerres shortened their name to Guerre?
6. What did the impostor do that began to upset Pierre?
7. If passing soldiers in Hendaye were somehow ruining the land, why would that affect the Guerres?
8. How was the Guerre's home village of Hendaye and their new village, Artigat, the same?
9. List some of the ways the impostor prepared to pass himself off as Martin.
10. The impostor was methodical in his deception. He took about 3 years to research his role and then began planting information that Martin was back before he contacted Martin's family. Why do you think the impostor was so slow to implement his con?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What images does the author use to create a sense of the time the story takes place in? How do these images help the reader create a picture of Artigat in their minds?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Return of Martin Guerre," there are several references to widows preferring to stay widows. The author seems to suggest that being a widow equals freedom for women in the 16th century. What evidence is presented in the book to support this theory? How were women more free without their husbands?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the views of today's parents on marriage and reproduction for their children to the views of parents in the 1500's. Show supporting details in your writing.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)