|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A key character trait known about the impostor is that he was _______.
2. How many years was the real Martin gone from Artigat before he returned home?
3. What physical evidence was there that the impostor could not be Martin?
4. How old was Martin's wife when he disappeared?
5. How many children did Arnaud and Betrande produce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Guerre's home village of Hendaye and their new village, Artigat, the same?
2. How did the relationship between the Guerre's and the Rols move forward after the verdict?
3. What is meant by the following statement: "The realities of this peasant world encourage not only the skills of a good farm wife, but the woman's ability to get her way with the men and to calculate her advantages, say, in remaining a widow."
4. Why was France on the verge of a religious civil war?
5. The author speculates in Chapter 4 that the impostor and Martin could have met during the war, but notes that in his confession, the impostor denied having met Martin. What do you think? Could they have met or was the impostor telling the truth? Explain your answers.
6. When questioned in court during the second trial what did the impostor do that convinced the judges of his innocence?
7. Why was Bertrande's testimony the most important? Why didn't the judges consider she might lie?
8. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
9. Bertrande easily accepted the impostor as Martin. She is reported to have said "They passed the time like two married people." If she knew the impostor was a fake, why would she put up with him? Do you think it's possible Bertrande fell in love with the impostor?
10. Proving that a man is not who he says he is, in the 16th century, is difficult to nearly impossible. In Chapter 7, what are some ways for proving identity that the author mentions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the views of today's parents on marriage and reproduction for their children to the views of parents in the 1500's. Show supporting details in your writing.
Essay Topic 2
The impostor, Arnaud could have wanted to take Martin's identity for several reasons. The author lists reasons such as wanting a larger inheritance or looking for a new adventure. In your own words, write what you think is the impostor, Arnaud's main motivation for taking Martin's identity. Include supporting details to back your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Bertrande and the impostor, Arnaud, ever talked about who he really was or do you think Bertrande preferred not to admit she knew the impostor was not Martin, even to the impostor? Back up your position with information from the book.
This section contains 1,813 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)