|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of considering Martin and Bertrande's problem as a medical condition, villagers believed they were ______.
2. A key character trait known about the impostor is that he was _______.
3. What year did the impostor make his entrance into Bertrande's life?
4. What village was the impostor from?
5. Why does the author think the impostor was not in a hurry to return to home?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Pierre began accusing the impostor of being an impostor, what criminal course of action did Pierre take?
2. How did parents view marriage and reproduction in the 1500's in relation to their children?
3. What fact does the author present that may give her reason to believe Sanxi had forgiven Martin before Sanxi died?
4. Women in the 1500's lived a somewhat oppressed existence. They were not included in family or village decisions. Their importance was recognized in their ability to work the fields or do housework and raise children. List one way women are the same today and one way they are different.
5. In Chapter 4, what specific similarities does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
6. List some of the ways the impostor prepared to pass himself off as Martin.
7. How did Martin's years of impotence benefit Bertrande?
8. In Chapter 6, what did the impostor do to elevate the Guerre family's status?
9. What did the impostor do that began to upset Pierre?
10. In Chapter 3, Bertrande described her life in thirds. What three titles did she give to each third?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The real Martin had trouble remembering events and details from his own life. The impostor, Arnaud remembered everything in great detail. Do you find it odd or natural that the person who lived the events would remember them with less clarity? What conclusions can you draw from this information? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Bertrande and the impostor, Arnaud, ever talked about who he really was or do you think Bertrande preferred not to admit she knew the impostor was not Martin, even to the impostor? Back up your position with information from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Bertrande seems to have easily adapted to each stage of her marriage to Martin. First, when she was forced to marry at a young age, then when she was reunited with the fake Martin, and in the last stage when she was reunited with the real Martin. Surely she must have felt some anxiety in each of those situations, but she seems to have taken the changes in stride. Based on this knowledge, what can we conclude about Bertrande's priorities? Who was she putting first? Why was she so willing to go along with whatever was thrown at her?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)