Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the impostor's nickname?
2. Why did Martin's impostor demand to see the account books?
3. What did Martin and his wife name their child?
4. What three things does the author say Bertrande did while she Martin was away?
5. How did neighborhood boys tease Martin and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Pierre began accusing the impostor of being an impostor, what criminal course of action did Pierre take?
2. Why is it symbolic that Martin loses his leg in war?
3. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
4. It seems life went back to normal after the impostor was executed. Do you think this perception may be a false one?
5. Why do you think the Guerre's stay in Artigat and never return to the Basque country to escape the scandal?
6. How did the relationship between the Guerre's and the Rols move forward after the verdict?
7. In Chapter 3, the author wrote Bertrande was independent. List three examples that support this claim.
8. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
9. What was the impostor's response to Martin's arrival in the days after their initial confrontation?
10. How did Martin's years of impotence benefit Bertrande?
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 5 depicted Bertrande and the impostor's marriage as strong and stable. Based on that information, one might predict when the real Martin returned, Bertrande would probably choose the impostor over Martin. Bertrande doesn't put up the slightest resistance however and turns her back on the impostor. Why do you think Bertrande reacted this way? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the views of today's parents on marriage and reproduction for their children to the views of parents in the 1500's. Show supporting details in your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Roman law in the sixteenth century stated, "It is better to leave unpunished a guilty man than to condemn an innocent man." What does this mean? How does this law apply to the impostor, Arnaud?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)