|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bertrande, like most women of her time, took on traditional female work, such as house work, crafting, spinning thread, and baking bread. What other work did women do at the time?
2. What is the main theory of how the impostor learns about the missing Martin?
3. Who met the impostor first?
4. Sanxi and Pierre were good with numbers, but could not____________.
5. The author speculates Bertrande dreamed of a husband who would come back and ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Catholic views changed today? How are they the same?
2. Why do you think the DaGuerres shortened their name to Guerre?
3. How did Martin's name possibly contribute to his decision to disappear?
4. Why do you think Bertrande refused to get out of her marriage when she had the chance?
5. We know very little about why Martin left his family and disappeared. Why do you think he decided to leave?
6. What ways does the author describe other cases of people taking a false identity?
7. How was the Guerre's home village of Hendaye and their new village, Artigat, the same?
8. In Chapter 3, the author wrote Bertrande was independent. List three examples that support this claim.
9. In Chapter 4, what specific similarities does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
10. In Chapter 4, what specific differences does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roman law in the sixteenth century stated, "It is better to leave unpunished a guilty man than to condemn an innocent man." What does this mean? How does this law apply to the impostor, Arnaud?
Essay Topic 2
In Judge Jean de Coras' "Arrest Memorable" much is made about the fact that he did not include the fact that both Bertrande and Pierre were imprisoned during the second trial. Given that we know very little about why they were jailed, and that Coras was there and should know, why do you think he left that part out of his book?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 5 depicted Bertrande and the impostor's marriage as strong and stable. Based on that information, one might predict when the real Martin returned, Bertrande would probably choose the impostor over Martin. Bertrande doesn't put up the slightest resistance however and turns her back on the impostor. Why do you think Bertrande reacted this way? Explain your answer.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)