Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the impostor's nickname?
2. Why did Martin's impostor demand to see the account books?
3. What did Martin and his wife name their child?
4. What three things does the author say Bertrande did while she Martin was away?
5. How did neighborhood boys tease Martin and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Pierre began accusing the impostor of being an impostor, what criminal course of action did Pierre take?
2. Why is it symbolic that Martin loses his leg in war?
3. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
4. It seems life went back to normal after the impostor was executed. Do you think this perception may be a false one?
5. Why do you think the Guerre's stay in Artigat and never return to the Basque country to escape the scandal?
6. How did the relationship between the Guerre's and the Rols move forward after the verdict?
7. In Chapter 3, the author wrote Bertrande was independent. List three examples that support this claim.
8. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
9. What was the impostor's response to Martin's arrival in the days after their initial confrontation?
10. How did Martin's years of impotence benefit Bertrande?
Roman law in the sixteenth century stated, "It is better to leave unpunished a guilty man than to condemn an innocent man." What does this mean? How does this law apply to the impostor, Arnaud?
Considering the three main characters (Martin, Bertrande, and the impostor, Arnaud) who do you find the most fascinating? Which one of these three do you think was the most complex? Why?
In Judge Jean de Coras' "Arrest Memorable" much is made about the fact that he did not include the fact that both Bertrande and Pierre were imprisoned during the second trial. Given that we know very little about why they were jailed, and that Coras was there and should know, why do you think he left that part out of his book?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)