|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arnaud became successful at trading agriculture and ________.
2. What battle were both Martin and the impostor said to have fought in?
3. Why does the author think the impostor was not in a hurry to return to home?
4. What alternate term is used for "Lord," in the impostor's old village?
5. In Chapter 3, the author speculates Martin may have _________Bertrande.
Short Essay Questions
1. The impostor went to great lengths to "become" Martin. Do you think this is evidence that his goal was to do more than collect an inheritance? Explain your answer.
2. In Chapter 3, the author wrote Bertrande was independent. List three examples that support this claim.
3. What did the impostor do that began to upset Pierre?
4. If passing soldiers in Hendaye were somehow ruining the land, why would that affect the Guerres?
5. Bertrande easily accepted the impostor as Martin. She is reported to have said "They passed the time like two married people." If she knew the impostor was a fake, why would she put up with him? Do you think it's possible Bertrande fell in love with the impostor?
6. Why do you think Bertrande refused to get out of her marriage when she had the chance?
7. If the Guerre's home village of Hendaye and their new village, Artigat, were the same, why did the Guerres move?
8. What ways does the author describe other cases of people taking a false identity?
9. In Chapter 6, what did the impostor do to elevate the Guerre family's status?
10. Women in the 1500's lived a somewhat oppressed existence. They were not included in family or village decisions. Their importance was recognized in their ability to work the fields or do housework and raise children. List one way women are the same today and one way they are different.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roman law in the sixteenth century stated, "It is better to leave unpunished a guilty man than to condemn an innocent man." What does this mean? How does this law apply to the impostor, Arnaud?
Essay Topic 2
Considering the three main characters (Martin, Bertrande, and the impostor, Arnaud) who do you find the most fascinating? Which one of these three do you think was the most complex? Why?
Essay Topic 3
If Pierre had been able to come up with the money and had the impostor, Arnaud, killed, how do you think things would have turned out? Would the truth still have come out?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)