|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the family feel about Martin's impostor after they realized he was getting greedy?
2. How old was Martin's wife when he disappeared?
3. Only one of the children the impostor and Bertrande produced lived. What was this child's name?
4. Why did Martin's impostor demand to see the account books?
5. What did Martin's uncle do that further complicated his and Bertrande's strained relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Martin's name possibly contribute to his decision to disappear?
2. If passing soldiers in Hendaye were somehow ruining the land, why would that affect the Guerres?
3. Why is it symbolic that Martin loses his leg in war?
4. In Chapter 6, what did the impostor do to elevate the Guerre family's status?
5. Why do you think the DaGuerres shortened their name to Guerre?
6. What fact does the author present that may give her reason to believe Sanxi had forgiven Martin before Sanxi died?
7. If the Guerre's home village of Hendaye and their new village, Artigat, were the same, why did the Guerres move?
8. The impostor was methodical in his deception. He took about 3 years to research his role and then began planting information that Martin was back before he contacted Martin's family. Why do you think the impostor was so slow to implement his con?
9. Why was France on the verge of a religious civil war?
10. Bertrande easily accepted the impostor as Martin. She is reported to have said "They passed the time like two married people." If she knew the impostor was a fake, why would she put up with him? Do you think it's possible Bertrande fell in love with the impostor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the views of today's parents on marriage and reproduction for their children to the views of parents in the 1500's. Show supporting details in your writing.
Essay Topic 2
If Pierre had been able to come up with the money and had the impostor, Arnaud, killed, how do you think things would have turned out? Would the truth still have come out?
Essay Topic 3
The real Martin had trouble remembering events and details from his own life. The impostor, Arnaud remembered everything in great detail. Do you find it odd or natural that the person who lived the events would remember them with less clarity? What conclusions can you draw from this information? Explain your answer.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)