Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the impostor's nickname?
2. Why did Martin's impostor demand to see the account books?
3. What did Martin and his wife name their child?
4. What three things does the author say Bertrande did while she Martin was away?
5. How did neighborhood boys tease Martin and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Pierre began accusing the impostor of being an impostor, what criminal course of action did Pierre take?
2. Why is it symbolic that Martin loses his leg in war?
3. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
4. It seems life went back to normal after the impostor was executed. Do you think this perception may be a false one?
5. Why do you think the Guerre's stay in Artigat and never return to the Basque country to escape the scandal?
6. How did the relationship between the Guerre's and the Rols move forward after the verdict?
7. In Chapter 3, the author wrote Bertrande was independent. List three examples that support this claim.
8. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
9. What was the impostor's response to Martin's arrival in the days after their initial confrontation?
10. How did Martin's years of impotence benefit Bertrande?
Of the three main characters (Martin, Bertrande, and the impostor, Arnaud) who would you say is the victim? Are any of them victims? Explain your position.
In "The Return of Martin Guerre," there are several references to widows preferring to stay widows. The author seems to suggest that being a widow equals freedom for women in the 16th century. What evidence is presented in the book to support this theory? How were women more free without their husbands?
If Pierre had been able to come up with the money and had the impostor, Arnaud, killed, how do you think things would have turned out? Would the truth still have come out?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)