|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, Artigat was considered a __________place to live than the impostor's old village.
2. What was the relationship between Sanxi and Martin?
3. Martin's impostor was _________________.
4. What is the relationship between Pierre and Martin?
5. Why did Bertrande and the impostor stay at the inn instead of going home right away?
Short Essay Questions
1. The author speculates in Chapter 4 that the impostor and Martin could have met during the war, but notes that in his confession, the impostor denied having met Martin. What do you think? Could they have met or was the impostor telling the truth? Explain your answers.
2. In Chapter 4, what specific differences does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
3. Why do you think the DaGuerres shortened their name to Guerre?
4. If passing soldiers in Hendaye were somehow ruining the land, why would that affect the Guerres?
5. In Chapter 3, Bertrande described her life in thirds. What three titles did she give to each third?
6. How did parents view marriage and reproduction in the 1500's in relation to their children?
7. In Chapter 6, what did the impostor do to elevate the Guerre family's status?
8. The impostor went to great lengths to "become" Martin. Do you think this is evidence that his goal was to do more than collect an inheritance? Explain your answer.
9. In Chapter 4, what specific similarities does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
10. Why does the author say the impostor was so easily accepted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Return of Martin Guerre," there are several references to widows preferring to stay widows. The author seems to suggest that being a widow equals freedom for women in the 16th century. What evidence is presented in the book to support this theory? How were women more free without their husbands?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the impostor, Arnaud, protected Bertrande's involvement in the deception even in his last minute confession? What does this say about Arnaud? Does this act make him honorable to some degree?
Essay Topic 3
If Pierre had been able to come up with the money and had the impostor, Arnaud, killed, how do you think things would have turned out? Would the truth still have come out?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)