Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the impostor's nickname?
2. Why did Martin's impostor demand to see the account books?
3. What did Martin and his wife name their child?
4. What three things does the author say Bertrande did while she Martin was away?
5. How did neighborhood boys tease Martin and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Pierre began accusing the impostor of being an impostor, what criminal course of action did Pierre take?
2. Why is it symbolic that Martin loses his leg in war?
3. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
4. It seems life went back to normal after the impostor was executed. Do you think this perception may be a false one?
5. Why do you think the Guerre's stay in Artigat and never return to the Basque country to escape the scandal?
6. How did the relationship between the Guerre's and the Rols move forward after the verdict?
7. In Chapter 3, the author wrote Bertrande was independent. List three examples that support this claim.
8. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
9. What was the impostor's response to Martin's arrival in the days after their initial confrontation?
10. How did Martin's years of impotence benefit Bertrande?
Essay Topic 1
Roman law in the sixteenth century stated, "It is better to leave unpunished a guilty man than to condemn an innocent man." What does this mean? How does this law apply to the impostor, Arnaud?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Bertrande and the impostor, Arnaud, ever talked about who he really was or do you think Bertrande preferred not to admit she knew the impostor was not Martin, even to the impostor? Back up your position with information from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the impostor, Arnaud, protected Bertrande's involvement in the deception even in his last minute confession? What does this say about Arnaud? Does this act make him honorable to some degree?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)