|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new language is Martin believed to have learned after leaving home?
2. Instead of considering Martin and Bertrande's problem as a medical condition, villagers believed they were ______.
3. Which of the following character traits best described Bertrande?
4. Why does the author think the impostor was not in a hurry to return to home?
5. Why did Bertrande and the impostor stay at the inn instead of going home right away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author say the impostor was so easily accepted?
2. The idea that Martin and Bertrande were "bewitched," is a laughable conclusion today. What is a more logical explanation for Martin and Bertrande's inability to consummate their marriage?
3. Why do you think the DaGuerres shortened their name to Guerre?
4. Women in the 1500's lived a somewhat oppressed existence. They were not included in family or village decisions. Their importance was recognized in their ability to work the fields or do housework and raise children. List one way women are the same today and one way they are different.
5. The author speculates in Chapter 4 that the impostor and Martin could have met during the war, but notes that in his confession, the impostor denied having met Martin. What do you think? Could they have met or was the impostor telling the truth? Explain your answers.
6. The impostor was methodical in his deception. He took about 3 years to research his role and then began planting information that Martin was back before he contacted Martin's family. Why do you think the impostor was so slow to implement his con?
7. Why do you think Bertrande refused to get out of her marriage when she had the chance?
8. In Chapter 3, Bertrande described her life in thirds. What three titles did she give to each third?
9. How did Martin's name possibly contribute to his decision to disappear?
10. How was the Guerre's home village of Hendaye and their new village, Artigat, the same?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the views of today's parents on marriage and reproduction for their children to the views of parents in the 1500's. Show supporting details in your writing.
Essay Topic 2
If Pierre had been able to come up with the money and had the impostor, Arnaud, killed, how do you think things would have turned out? Would the truth still have come out?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Bertrande and the impostor, Arnaud, ever talked about who he really was or do you think Bertrande preferred not to admit she knew the impostor was not Martin, even to the impostor? Back up your position with information from the book.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)