|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the family get to their new home?
2. How did neighborhood boys tease Martin and his wife?
3. What is the main theory of how the impostor learns about the missing Martin?
4. The impostor was able to impersonate Martin so convincingly because of his ability to _____.
5. In what country was the Guerre family's new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the impostor do that began to upset Pierre?
2. How have Catholic views changed today? How are they the same?
3. The impostor was methodical in his deception. He took about 3 years to research his role and then began planting information that Martin was back before he contacted Martin's family. Why do you think the impostor was so slow to implement his con?
4. List some of the ways the impostor prepared to pass himself off as Martin.
5. What ways does the author describe other cases of people taking a false identity?
6. How did Martin's years of impotence benefit Bertrande?
7. What is meant by the following statement: "The realities of this peasant world encourage not only the skills of a good farm wife, but the woman's ability to get her way with the men and to calculate her advantages, say, in remaining a widow."
8. Why would being Protestant help the impostor and Bertrande's case?
9. Why do you think the DaGuerres shortened their name to Guerre?
10. Why was France on the verge of a religious civil war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of the three main characters (Martin, Bertrande, and the impostor, Arnaud) who would you say is the victim? Are any of them victims? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 2
In Judge Jean de Coras' "Arrest Memorable" much is made about the fact that he did not include the fact that both Bertrande and Pierre were imprisoned during the second trial. Given that we know very little about why they were jailed, and that Coras was there and should know, why do you think he left that part out of his book?
Essay Topic 3
What images does the author use to create a sense of the time the story takes place in? How do these images help the reader create a picture of Artigat in their minds?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)