|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toulouse was the _______ of the province of Languedoc.
(c) County Seat.
(d) Police Station.
2. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Martin Guerre's 12 year absence?
(a) That Martin owed Bertrande an apology.
(b) That Martin forfeited his inheritance by leaving.
(c) That Martin was on the run from a crime he committed.
(d) That Martin should have been punished for abandoning his family.
3. What was a typical case for the courts in Rieux?
(a) Identity theft.
4. What year was Jean de Coras killed?
5. Martin's appeal was heard in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were witnesses brought to the impostor before the trial?
2. Which of the following was a possible reason for Bertrande to pretend she didn't know the impostor was not Martin?
3. Who made up the chambers of the Toulouse Parliament?
4. About how many people came to testify in the impostor's trial?
5. How old was Jean de Coras when he received his doctorate degree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
2. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
3. Proving that a man is not who he says he is, in the 16th century, is difficult to nearly impossible. In Chapter 7, what are some ways for proving identity that the author mentions?
4. In Coras' "comitragic" version of "Arrest Memorable" he wrote that a woman doing what she pleased with her body is worse than what the impostor did. What did he mean?
5. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
6. When questioned in court during the second trial what did the impostor do that convinced the judges of his innocence?
7. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
8. Why did the impostor ask the judge to move Bertrande away from Pierre in Chapter 7?
9. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
10. Why does Coras describe Martin's arrival, "Like a miracle."
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)