|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Montaigne thought hanging Arnaud du Tilh was _____?
(a) The worst thing to do.
(b) Inappropriate for the crime.
(c) Appropriate for the crime.
(d) The best thing to do.
2. What happened to Judge Jean de Coras after his religious beliefs became known?
(a) He became famous.
(b) He made a lot of money from his book.
(c) He went bankrupt.
(d) He was expelled from being a judge.
3. In the second trial of the impostor, what evidence showed us that Bertrande had not changed her mind about believing the impostor was the real Martin?
(a) Bertrande cried every day of the trial.
(b) Bertrande yelled at Pierre from the stand.
(c) Bertrande still publically supported the fake Martin.
(d) Bertrande was sneaking notes to the fake Martin.
4. When was Montaigne's book, "On the Lame," published?
5. ____________________was a little known lawyer and writer.
(a) Michel Du Faur.
(b) Arnaud du Tilh.
(c) Guillaume Le Sueur.
(d) Jean de Coras.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jean de Coras killed?
2. Where did Guillaume Le Sueur get most of his information to write his book about Martin Guerre?
3. Why does the author suspect Martin showed up at the courthouse?
4. When face to face with the real Martin, how many of Martin's sisters recognized him?
5. What other language was, "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse" written in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
2. Why is it said that Coras exaggerates in "Arrest Memorable?"
3. Given that three people said they recognized the impostor even after he'd been living with Bertrande, do you think he would have eventually been exposed?
4. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
5. Why was Bertrande's testimony the most important? Why didn't the judges consider she might lie?
6. What reasons does the author state for her belief that Martin heard about the trial before he got to Artigat?
7. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
8. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
9. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
10. Coras was a romantic. Give an example of one of his romantic gestures.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)