|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the people who testified, how many testified that the impostor was indeed an impostor?
2. Of the people who testified that the impostor was the real Martin, who was the most influential?
(b) Martin's sisters.
3. How is "Arrest Memorable" different from "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse"?
(a) "Arrest Memorable" is more accurate.
(b) "Arrest Memorable" is written in Spanish.
(c) "Arrest Memorable" is less accurate.
(d) "Arrest Memorable" is written in English.
4. What language was, "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse," originally printed in?
5. Why does the author suspect Martin showed up at the courthouse?
(a) Martin wanted to confront the impostor.
(b) Martin wanted to see Bertrande.
(c) Martin wanted to be with his fmaily.
(d) Martin heard about the trial from villagers and wanted to get the truth out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many chambers did the Toulouse Parliament have?
2. Who intervened when Martin got upset about the situation?
3. Who decided to interrogate the impostor after Martin arrived?
4. What is the significance of the title of the book, "On the Lame?"
5. How did Pierre react when he saw the real Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
2. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
3. Coras was a romantic. Give an example of one of his romantic gestures.
4. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
5. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
6. What reasons does the author state for her belief that Martin heard about the trial before he got to Artigat?
7. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
8. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
9. Why did the impostor ask the judge to move Bertrande away from Pierre in Chapter 7?
10. The judges were unsure of the impostor's guilt or innocence. How did the law's view of marriage play a role in the judge's decision?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)