|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was Jean de Coras killed?
2. How did the impostor's brothers respond when asked to come to the court to testify?
(a) They came right away.
(b) They pretended they didn't get the message.
(c) They refused.
(d) They fled.
3. About how many people came to testify in the impostor's trial?
(a) One hundred.
(b) One hundred fifty.
(c) Two hundred fifty.
(d) Two hundred.
4. How old was Jean de Coras when he received his doctorate degree?
5. When face to face with the real Martin, how many of Martin's sisters recognized him?
(a) One of them.
(b) Three of them.
(c) Two of them
(d) All of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jean de Coras had nightmares about ____________________________.
2. Who wrote Arrest Memorable?
3. Montaigne thought hanging Arnaud du Tilh was _____?
4. Bertrande immediately recognized Martin and ran to hug him. What did she ask him for?
5. Which of the following was evidence presented in the second trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Coras was a romantic. Give an example of one of his romantic gestures.
2. What does the author say Montaigne would have done if called to testify in the Martin Guerre Case?
3. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
4. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
5. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
6. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
7. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
8. Given that three people said they recognized the impostor even after he'd been living with Bertrande, do you think he would have eventually been exposed?
9. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
10. Proving that a man is not who he says he is, in the 16th century, is difficult to nearly impossible. In Chapter 7, what are some ways for proving identity that the author mentions?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)