|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The real Martin finally returns to Artigat. How many years had he been gone?
2. How many chambers did the Toulouse Parliament have?
3. Jean de Coras is believed to have been a supporter of what religion?
4. What was the impostor's sentence in the first trial?
(a) A fine.
5. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Martin Guerre's 12 year absence?
(a) That Martin was on the run from a crime he committed.
(b) That Martin forfeited his inheritance by leaving.
(c) That Martin should have been punished for abandoning his family.
(d) That Martin owed Bertrande an apology.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the people who testified, how many testified the impostor was the real Martin?
2. Toulouse was the _______ of the province of Languedoc.
3. Of the people who testified the impostor is indeed an impostor, who was the most influential?
4. Who wrote, "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse."
5. How does the account in "Arrest Memorable" depict the impostor's memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
2. Proving that a man is not who he says he is, in the 16th century, is difficult to nearly impossible. In Chapter 7, what are some ways for proving identity that the author mentions?
3. What does the author say Montaigne would have done if called to testify in the Martin Guerre Case?
4. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
5. When questioned in court during the second trial what did the impostor do that convinced the judges of his innocence?
6. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
7. What reasons does the author state for her belief that Martin heard about the trial before he got to Artigat?
8. The judges were unsure of the impostor's guilt or innocence. How did the law's view of marriage play a role in the judge's decision?
9. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
10. What was the impostor's response to Martin's arrival in the days after their initial confrontation?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)