|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Montaigne's book, "On the Lame," published?
2. How did the impostor's brothers respond when asked to come to the court to testify?
(a) They refused.
(b) They fled.
(c) They pretended they didn't get the message.
(d) They came right away.
3. Which of the following was evidence presented in the second trial?
(a) Martin's picture.
(b) Physical dissimilarities between Martin and the impostor.
(c) The impostor's birth certificate.
(d) Martin's journal.
4. ____________________was a little known lawyer and writer.
(a) Michel Du Faur.
(b) Guillaume Le Sueur.
(c) Arnaud du Tilh.
(d) Jean de Coras.
5. How was the impostor punished for his crimes?
(a) The impostor was forced to apologize and was put to death.
(b) The impostor got life in prison.
(c) The impostor got probation.
(d) The impostor paid a fine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Judge Jean de Coras when the second trial began?
2. What was Montaigne's opinion of Arnaud du Tihl?
3. Who wrote Arrest Memorable?
4. How did the impostor explain the timing of Martin's arrival?
5. What was the impostor's defense in the second trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
2. Why was Bertrande's testimony the most important? Why didn't the judges consider she might lie?
3. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
4. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
5. What does the author say Montaigne would have done if called to testify in the Martin Guerre Case?
6. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
7. Why did the impostor ask the judge to move Bertrande away from Pierre in Chapter 7?
8. Given that three people said they recognized the impostor even after he'd been living with Bertrande, do you think he would have eventually been exposed?
9. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
10. When questioned in court during the second trial what did the impostor do that convinced the judges of his innocence?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)