|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Jean de Coras killed?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He was lynched.
(c) He was buried alive.
(d) He was poisoned.
2. Who decided to interrogate the impostor after Martin arrived?
(a) Jean de Coras.
(b) President de Mansencal.
(c) Arnaud du Tilh.
(d) Guillaume Le Sueur.
3. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Bernarde du Tilh?
(a) That the impostor's family should have raised Bernarde.
(b) That Martin should not have had to share his house with Bernarde.
(c) That Bernarde should have been banished.
(d) That Bernarde had no right to inherit Arnuad's estate.
4. The real Martin finally returns to Artigat. How many years had he been gone?
5. How many chambers did the Toulouse Parliament have?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Martin respond to Bertrande?
2. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Martin Guerre's 12 year absence?
3. What was the impostor's defense in the second trial?
4. What was the title of the article Jean de Coras wrote about marriage?
5. Of the people who testified, how many testified the impostor was the real Martin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
2. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
3. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
4. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
5. How important was Coras' Arrest Memorable" in the 16th century?
6. What reasons does the author state for her belief that Martin heard about the trial before he got to Artigat?
7. Why was Bertrande's testimony the most important? Why didn't the judges consider she might lie?
8. In Coras' "comitragic" version of "Arrest Memorable" he wrote that a woman doing what she pleased with her body is worse than what the impostor did. What did he mean?
9. Why does Coras describe Martin's arrival, "Like a miracle."
10. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)