|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Guillaume Le Sueur get most of his information to write his book about Martin Guerre?
(a) From the notes of Arnaud du Tilh.
(b) From the notes of President Michel Du Faur.
(c) From the notes of Pierre Guerre.
(d) From the notes of Jean de Coras.
2. Jean de Coras went on to hold what office for the Protestant Queen of Navarre?
(c) City Counsel.
(d) Prime Minister.
3. What story does the author say compares to "The Return of Martin Guerre?"
(a) "Cameron Rose."
(b) "There and Back Again."
(d) "The Heart of Love."
4. Where was Jean de Coras killed?
(a) In the neighborhood pub.
(b) In front of the Parlement of Toulouse.
(c) At his home.
(d) On Main Street.
5. Who wrote Arrest Memorable?
(a) Michel Du Faur.
(b) Guillaume Le Sueur.
(c) Arnaud du Tilh.
(d) Jean de Coras.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two places has Jean de Coras been known to have studied law?
2. Who intervened when Martin got upset about the situation?
3. Which of the following was evidence presented in the second trial?
4. Toulouse was the _______ of the province of Languedoc.
5. About how many people came to testify in the impostor's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. The judges were unsure of the impostor's guilt or innocence. How did the law's view of marriage play a role in the judge's decision?
2. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
3. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
4. What does the author say Montaigne would have done if called to testify in the Martin Guerre Case?
5. In Coras' "comitragic" version of "Arrest Memorable" he wrote that a woman doing what she pleased with her body is worse than what the impostor did. What did he mean?
6. When questioned in court during the second trial what did the impostor do that convinced the judges of his innocence?
7. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
8. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
9. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
10. LeSueur's pamphlet, "Admiranda Historia," became hugely popular, very quickly. Why do you think this happened?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)