|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Jean de Coras killed?
(a) He was lynched.
(b) He was shot.
(c) He was poisoned.
(d) He was buried alive.
2. How old was Judge Jean de Coras when the second trial began?
3. How did the impostor react when Bertrande was put in jail?
(a) The impostor continued on, not breaking from his story.
(b) The impostor broke down and told the truth.
(c) The impostor was happy that Bertrande would be jailed.
(d) The impostor lost control and had to be held down.
4. How did the impostor explain the timing of Martin's arrival?
(a) The impostor said the real Martin was another agent of Pierre.
(b) The impostor said the real Martin was an agent of Bertrande.
(c) The impostor said the real Martin was an agent of Sanxi.
(d) The impostor said the real Martin was an agent of the court.
5. Jean de Coras is believed to have been a supporter of what religion?
Short Answer Questions
1. While in jail, Bertrande was questioned by Judge Coras. How did Bertrande change her story?
2. Of the people who testified the impostor is indeed an impostor, who was the most influential?
3. About how many people came to testify in the impostor's trial?
4. Where did Guillaume Le Sueur get most of his information to write his book about Martin Guerre?
5. Who decided to interrogate the impostor after Martin arrived?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Coras' "comitragic" version of "Arrest Memorable" he wrote that a woman doing what she pleased with her body is worse than what the impostor did. What did he mean?
2. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
3. When questioned in court during the second trial what did the impostor do that convinced the judges of his innocence?
4. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
5. How important was Coras' Arrest Memorable" in the 16th century?
6. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
7. LeSueur's pamphlet, "Admiranda Historia," became hugely popular, very quickly. Why do you think this happened?
8. Why did the impostor ask the judge to move Bertrande away from Pierre in Chapter 7?
9. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
10. Given that three people said they recognized the impostor even after he'd been living with Bertrande, do you think he would have eventually been exposed?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)