|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When face to face with the real Martin, how many of Martin's sisters recognized him?
(a) All of them.
(b) One of them.
(c) Two of them
(d) Three of them.
2. Jean de Coras went on to hold what office for the Protestant Queen of Navarre?
(a) Prime Minister.
(c) City Counsel.
3. What other language was, "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse" written in?
4. Jean de Coras had nightmares about ____________________________.
(a) His wife marrying someone else.
(b) The impostor actually being innocent.
(c) His wife being fooled by an impostor.
(d) The impostor coming back to kill him.
5. What is the significance of the title of the book, "On the Lame?"
(a) It has no significance.
(b) The author thought the story of Martin Guerre was lame.
(c) Lame applies to several elements of the story with different definitions.
(d) Martin is on the run for most of the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Judge Jean de Coras after his religious beliefs became known?
2. How is "Arrest Memorable" different from "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse"?
3. Where did Guillaume Le Sueur get most of his information to write his book about Martin Guerre?
4. Why was Jean de Coras killed?
5. Toulouse was the _______ of the province of Languedoc.
Short Essay Questions
1. Coras was a romantic. Give an example of one of his romantic gestures.
2. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
3. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
4. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
5. How important was Coras' Arrest Memorable" in the 16th century?
6. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
7. LeSueur's pamphlet, "Admiranda Historia," became hugely popular, very quickly. Why do you think this happened?
8. What reasons does the author state for her belief that Martin heard about the trial before he got to Artigat?
9. Why does Coras describe Martin's arrival, "Like a miracle."
10. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)