|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Montaigne's opinion of Arnaud du Tihl?
(a) That he was remarkable.
(b) That he was immoral.
(c) That he was a liar.
(d) That he was moral.
2. Jean de Coras' vision for writing the story of Martin Guerre was considered to be ___________.
3. How was Jean de Coras killed?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He was lynched.
(c) He was poisoned.
(d) He was buried alive.
4. The real Martin finally returns to Artigat. How many years had he been gone?
5. Why did the judge arrange a new place for Bertrande to live?
(a) Bertrande wanted to be closer to the impostor.
(b) The judge didn't like Pierre.
(c) Bertrande was being pressured by Pierre to testify.
(d) Bertrande was sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What judge's writings were the basis for much of The Return of Martin Guerre?
2. What was the title of the article Jean de Coras wrote about marriage?
3. What other language was, "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse" written in?
4. ____________________was a little known lawyer and writer.
5. While in jail, Bertrande was questioned by Judge Coras. How did Bertrande change her story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How important was Coras' Arrest Memorable" in the 16th century?
2. What did Martin say when Bertrande said everyone was fooled by the impostor?
3. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
4. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
5. Why did the impostor ask the judge to move Bertrande away from Pierre in Chapter 7?
6. What was the impostor's response to Martin's arrival in the days after their initial confrontation?
7. Given that three people said they recognized the impostor even after he'd been living with Bertrande, do you think he would have eventually been exposed?
8. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
9. Coras was a romantic. Give an example of one of his romantic gestures.
10. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)