|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the public so interested in Martin Guerre case?
(a) Because people did no believe Bertranade couldn't know.
(b) Because Martin was famous.
(c) Because identity theft was so rare.
(d) Because it was a sex scandal.
2. How did Pierre react when he saw the real Martin?
(a) Pierre fainted.
(b) Pierre started to laugh uncontrollably.
(c) Pierre yelled at Martin for leaving.
(d) Pierre embraced Martin and cried.
3. How did the impostor explain the timing of Martin's arrival?
(a) The impostor said the real Martin was an agent of Sanxi.
(b) The impostor said the real Martin was an agent of Bertrande.
(c) The impostor said the real Martin was an agent of the court.
(d) The impostor said the real Martin was another agent of Pierre.
4. Which of the following was evidence presented in the second trial?
(a) The impostor's birth certificate.
(b) Martin's journal.
(c) Physical dissimilarities between Martin and the impostor.
(d) Martin's picture.
5. Martin's appeal was heard in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bertrande immediately recognized Martin and ran to hug him. What did she ask him for?
2. How many times was Jean de Coras married?
3. How is "Arrest Memorable" different from "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse"?
4. Of the people who testified, how many testified the impostor was the real Martin?
5. Jean de Coras was a well known lecturer of what kind of law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the impostor ask the judge to move Bertrande away from Pierre in Chapter 7?
2. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
3. LeSueur's pamphlet, "Admiranda Historia," became hugely popular, very quickly. Why do you think this happened?
4. When questioned in court during the second trial what did the impostor do that convinced the judges of his innocence?
5. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
6. How did the dedications in Coras' books help him career-wise?
7. How important was Coras' Arrest Memorable" in the 16th century?
8. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
9. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
10. Coras was a romantic. Give an example of one of his romantic gestures.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)