|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was a possible reason for Bertrande to pretend she didn't know the impostor was not Martin?
(a) Bertrande wanted a husband.
(b) Bertrande was protecting her inheritance.
(c) Bertrande was protecting her children.
(d) Bertande was being abused.
2. What judge's writings were the basis for much of The Return of Martin Guerre?
(a) Arnaud Du Tilh.
(b) President Michel Du Faur.
(c) Jean De Coras.
(d) Guillaume Le Sueur.
3. What other language was, "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse" written in?
4. How is "Arrest Memorable" different from "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse"?
(a) "Arrest Memorable" is written in Spanish.
(b) "Arrest Memorable" is less accurate.
(c) "Arrest Memorable" is more accurate.
(d) "Arrest Memorable" is written in English.
5. Which of the following was evidence presented in the second trial?
(a) Martin's picture.
(b) Physical dissimilarities between Martin and the impostor.
(c) The impostor's birth certificate.
(d) Martin's journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Jean de Coras calls Bertrande _______________ in the identity theft of Martin Guerre.
2. Of the people who testified the impostor is indeed an impostor, who was the most influential?
3. Jean de Coras went on to hold what office for the Protestant Queen of Navarre?
4. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Martin Guerre's 12 year absence?
5. While in jail, Pierre was questioned by Judge Coras. How did Pierre change his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. The judges were unsure of the impostor's guilt or innocence. How did the law's view of marriage play a role in the judge's decision?
2. Why does Coras describe Martin's arrival, "Like a miracle."
3. What does the author say Montaigne would have done if called to testify in the Martin Guerre Case?
4. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
5. Why is it said that Coras exaggerates in "Arrest Memorable?"
6. Why did Coras find the impostor remarkable even after having been fooled by him?
7. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
8. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
9. How important was Coras' Arrest Memorable" in the 16th century?
10. LeSueur's pamphlet, "Admiranda Historia," became hugely popular, very quickly. Why do you think this happened?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)