|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were witnesses brought to the impostor before the trial?
(a) To observe the impostor's reaction.
(b) To say hello.
(c) He had a right to question their character.
(d) He had a right to try to talk them out of it.
2. What was Montaigne's opinion of Arnaud du Tihl?
(a) That he was a liar.
(b) That he was moral.
(c) That he was immoral.
(d) That he was remarkable.
3. About how many people came to testify in the impostor's trial?
(a) One hundred fifty.
(b) Two hundred fifty.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
4. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Martin Guerre's 12 year absence?
(a) That Martin was on the run from a crime he committed.
(b) That Martin should have been punished for abandoning his family.
(c) That Martin forfeited his inheritance by leaving.
(d) That Martin owed Bertrande an apology.
5. What language was, "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse," originally printed in?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Bernarde du Tilh?
2. What was the impostor's sentence in the first trial?
3. How did the impostor explain the timing of Martin's arrival?
4. What is the significance of the title of the book, "On the Lame?"
5. Where was Jean de Coras killed?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)