|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Pierre react when he saw the real Martin?
(a) Pierre embraced Martin and cried.
(b) Pierre yelled at Martin for leaving.
(c) Pierre fainted.
(d) Pierre started to laugh uncontrollably.
2. Montaigne thought hanging Arnaud du Tilh was _____?
(a) The best thing to do.
(b) The worst thing to do.
(c) Appropriate for the crime.
(d) Inappropriate for the crime.
3. How many chambers did the Toulouse Parliament have?
4. What was the impostor's reaction when he was confronted by the real Martin?
(a) He accused Martin of being the impostor.
(b) He claimed he had amnesia.
(c) He admitted he lied.
(d) He cried and told Bertrande he was sorry.
5. How did the impostor react when Bertrande was put in jail?
(a) The impostor was happy that Bertrande would be jailed.
(b) The impostor broke down and told the truth.
(c) The impostor continued on, not breaking from his story.
(d) The impostor lost control and had to be held down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of the article Jean de Coras wrote about marriage?
2. What two places has Jean de Coras been known to have studied law?
3. ____________________was a little known lawyer and writer.
4. In Chapter 10, Jean de Coras calls Bertrande _______________ in the identity theft of Martin Guerre.
5. What was the impostor's defense to the allegations against him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Proving that a man is not who he says he is, in the 16th century, is difficult to nearly impossible. In Chapter 7, what are some ways for proving identity that the author mentions?
2. Coras was a romantic. Give an example of one of his romantic gestures.
3. How important was Coras' Arrest Memorable" in the 16th century?
4. Why wouldn't a confession from the impostor be enough to prove his guilt?
5. The judges were unsure of the impostor's guilt or innocence. How did the law's view of marriage play a role in the judge's decision?
6. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
7. Why is it said that Coras exaggerates in "Arrest Memorable?"
8. In Coras' "comitragic" version of "Arrest Memorable" he wrote that a woman doing what she pleased with her body is worse than what the impostor did. What did he mean?
9. Though Coras was Protestant by the time he wrote" Arrest Memorable," why was the book received so well by Catholics?
10. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)