|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Bernarde du Tilh?
(a) That the impostor's family should have raised Bernarde.
(b) That Martin should not have had to share his house with Bernarde.
(c) That Bernarde should have been banished.
(d) That Bernarde had no right to inherit Arnuad's estate.
2. How did the impostor explain the timing of Martin's arrival?
(a) The impostor said the real Martin was an agent of Bertrande.
(b) The impostor said the real Martin was an agent of Sanxi.
(c) The impostor said the real Martin was another agent of Pierre.
(d) The impostor said the real Martin was an agent of the court.
3. What was a typical case for the courts in Rieux?
(a) Identity theft.
4. ____________________was a little known lawyer and writer.
(a) Guillaume Le Sueur.
(b) Arnaud du Tilh.
(c) Michel Du Faur.
(d) Jean de Coras.
5. What language was, "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse," originally printed in?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the account in "Arrest Memorable" depict the impostor's memory?
2. About how many people came to testify in the impostor's trial?
3. Of the many arguments made about the people involved in the Martin Guerre case, what argument was made about Martin Guerre's 12 year absence?
4. Jean de Coras had nightmares about ____________________________.
5. What evidence was presented to prove the impostor was an impostor?
Short Essay Questions
1. A monitoire was read to Catholic church members in Artigat and Sajas. What is a monitoire?
2. The author says Montainge was too hard on Coras. Why?
3. What does the author say Montaigne would have done if called to testify in the Martin Guerre Case?
4. Why do you think Bertrande immediately acknowledged the real Martin?
5. Why is it said that Coras exaggerates in "Arrest Memorable?"
6. Why does Coras describe Martin's arrival, "Like a miracle."
7. What reasons does the author state for her belief that Martin heard about the trial before he got to Artigat?
8. How did Coras' religion get him killed?
9. How important was Coras' Arrest Memorable" in the 16th century?
10. What was the impostor's response to Martin's arrival in the days after their initial confrontation?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)