|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Martin's wife when he disappeared?
2. What did Martin's uncle do that further complicated his and Bertrande's strained relationship?
(a) He accused Bertrande of running Martin off.
(b) He married Bertrande's mother.
(c) He accused Bertrande of stealing.
(d) He married Bertrande's sister.
3. Who was Bertrande most likely to have told her troubles to?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Saint Catherine.
4. Why does the author think the impostor was not in a hurry to return to home?
(a) He was tired of traveling.
(b) He didn't want to see his father.
(c) He was afraid of being arrested.
(d) He was looking for adventure.
5. What disease was Arnaud believed to be recovering from when he met Bertrande?
(a) Small Pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many brothers did the impostor have?
2. The impostor was able to impersonate Martin so convincingly because of his ability to _____.
3. What year did the impostor make his entrance into Bertrande's life?
4. Who did Martin marry?
5. Arnaud became successful at trading agriculture and ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what specific similarities does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
2. The idea that Martin and Bertrande were "bewitched," is a laughable conclusion today. What is a more logical explanation for Martin and Bertrande's inability to consummate their marriage?
3. In Chapter 3, Bertrande described her life in thirds. What three titles did she give to each third?
4. In Chapter 4, what specific differences does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
5. Why does the author say the impostor was so easily accepted?
6. What did the impostor do that began to upset Pierre?
7. In Chapter 3, the author wrote Bertrande was independent. List three examples that support this claim.
8. List some of the ways the impostor prepared to pass himself off as Martin.
9. Why do you think Bertrande refused to get out of her marriage when she had the chance?
10. The impostor was methodical in his deception. He took about 3 years to research his role and then began planting information that Martin was back before he contacted Martin's family. Why do you think the impostor was so slow to implement his con?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)