|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Martin's uncle do that further complicated his and Bertrande's strained relationship?
(a) He married Bertrande's sister.
(b) He accused Bertrande of stealing.
(c) He accused Bertrande of running Martin off.
(d) He married Bertrande's mother.
2. The family of Martin's wife paid a __________ for Bertrande to marry Martin.
(a) Million yen.
3. Instead of considering Martin and Bertrande's problem as a medical condition, villagers believed they were ______.
4. Who did Martin marry?
(a) Bernarde du Tilh.
(b) Jean de Coras.
(c) Bertrande de Rols.
(d) Emily de Avis
5. The real Martin was ______________ when he was younger.
(a) Short and stocky.
(b) Short and thin.
(c) Tall and thin.
(d) Tall and stocky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the village the Guerre family moved from?
2. While Martin was away, what happened to Sanxi (Martin's father)?
3. How long did it take the family to get to their new home?
4. Sanxi and Pierre were good with numbers, but could not____________.
5. The author speculates about where Martin could have gone when he disappeared. What does the author say was the most likely place Martin went to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fact does the author present that may give her reason to believe Sanxi had forgiven Martin before Sanxi died?
2. Why is it symbolic that Martin loses his leg in war?
3. If passing soldiers in Hendaye were somehow ruining the land, why would that affect the Guerres?
4. List some of the ways the impostor prepared to pass himself off as Martin.
5. How have Catholic views changed today? How are they the same?
6. After Pierre began accusing the impostor of being an impostor, what criminal course of action did Pierre take?
7. In Chapter 3, the author wrote Bertrande was independent. List three examples that support this claim.
8. Why do you think Bertrande refused to get out of her marriage when she had the chance?
9. Why does the author say the impostor was so easily accepted?
10. In Chapter 3, Bertrande described her life in thirds. What three titles did she give to each third?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)