|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom did the most damning evidence against the impostor come?
(b) A soldier.
2. How was Martin wounded in the Battle of Picardy?
(a) He was shot in the leg.
(b) He was shot in the arm.
(c) He was shot in the hand.
(d) He was shot in the stomach.
3. Who do Bertrande and Martin name their baby boy after?
(a) Bernarde's father.
(b) Martin's uncle.
(c) Martin's father.
4. Land was limited in the impostor's village. How did peasants find enough land to farm?
(b) They go to neighboring villages and use the land.
(c) They use garden boxes.
(d) They steal it.
5. What physical evidence was there that the impostor could not be Martin?
(a) Martin had a wooden leg.
(b) Martin had a glass eye.
(c) Martin had a wooden arm.
(d) Martin was missing a finger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the impostor's nickname?
2. What was the relationship between Sanxi and Martin?
3. Why couldn't Bertrande end her marriage and remarry?
4. Why was the Battle of Picardy so important?
5. Bertrande, like most women of her time, took on traditional female work, such as house work, crafting, spinning thread, and baking bread. What other work did women do at the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fact does the author present that may give her reason to believe Sanxi had forgiven Martin before Sanxi died?
2. The author speculates in Chapter 4 that the impostor and Martin could have met during the war, but notes that in his confession, the impostor denied having met Martin. What do you think? Could they have met or was the impostor telling the truth? Explain your answers.
3. Why do you think the DaGuerres shortened their name to Guerre?
4. In Chapter 4, what specific similarities does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
5. Why would being Protestant help the impostor and Bertrande's case?
6. How was the Guerre's home village of Hendaye and their new village, Artigat, the same?
7. In Chapter 4, what specific differences does the author point out about Martin and the impostor?
8. The impostor was methodical in his deception. He took about 3 years to research his role and then began planting information that Martin was back before he contacted Martin's family. Why do you think the impostor was so slow to implement his con?
9. In Chapter 3, Bertrande described her life in thirds. What three titles did she give to each third?
10. Women in the 1500's lived a somewhat oppressed existence. They were not included in family or village decisions. Their importance was recognized in their ability to work the fields or do housework and raise children. List one way women are the same today and one way they are different.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)