|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is "Arrest Memorable" different from "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse"?
(a) "Arrest Memorable" is written in English.
(b) "Arrest Memorable" is less accurate.
(c) "Arrest Memorable" is written in Spanish.
(d) "Arrest Memorable" is more accurate.
2. Which of the following was evidence presented in the second trial?
(a) Martin's journal.
(b) The impostor's birth certificate.
(c) Martin's picture.
(d) Physical dissimilarities between Martin and the impostor.
3. Of the people who testified, how many testified that the impostor was indeed an impostor?
4. How did the impostor react when Bertrande was put in jail?
(a) The impostor continued on, not breaking from his story.
(b) The impostor lost control and had to be held down.
(c) The impostor was happy that Bertrande would be jailed.
(d) The impostor broke down and told the truth.
5. What happened to Judge Jean de Coras after his religious beliefs became known?
(a) He went bankrupt.
(b) He made a lot of money from his book.
(c) He was expelled from being a judge.
(d) He became famous.
6. When face to face with the real Martin, how many of Martin's sisters recognized him?
(a) Two of them
(b) One of them.
(c) All of them.
(d) Three of them.
7. Martin's appeal was heard in what year?
8. Of the people who testified, how many testified the impostor was the real Martin?
(a) About twenty.
(b) About fifty.
(c) About thirty.
(d) About sixty.
9. Where was Jean de Coras killed?
(a) In the neighborhood pub.
(b) At his home.
(c) On Main Street.
(d) In front of the Parlement of Toulouse.
10. What story does the author say compares to "The Return of Martin Guerre?"
(a) "There and Back Again."
(b) "The Heart of Love."
(d) "Cameron Rose."
11. How old was Judge Jean de Coras when the second trial began?
12. What was the impostor's sentence in the first trial?
(a) A fine.
13. Why was Jean de Coras killed?
(a) Because he declared the impostor not guilty.
(b) Because he declared the impostor guilty.
(c) Because he put a woman in jail.
(d) Because of his Protestant beliefs.
14. Montaigne thought hanging Arnaud du Tilh was _____?
(a) The worst thing to do.
(b) Inappropriate for the crime.
(c) The best thing to do.
(d) Appropriate for the crime.
15. Of the people who testified the impostor is indeed an impostor, who was the most influential?
(a) Carbon Barrau.
(c) Jean de Coras.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Judge Jean de Coras' home?
2. Jean de Coras was a well known lecturer of what kind of law?
3. Of the people who testified that the impostor was the real Martin, who was the most influential?
4. How did Pierre react when he saw the real Martin?
5. How did the impostor's brothers respond when asked to come to the court to testify?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)