|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toulouse was the _______ of the province of Languedoc.
(b) County Seat.
(c) Police Station.
2. How did the impostor's brothers respond when asked to come to the court to testify?
(a) They came right away.
(b) They refused.
(c) They fled.
(d) They pretended they didn't get the message.
3. Bertrande immediately recognized Martin and ran to hug him. What did she ask him for?
(b) A kiss.
(c) A tissue.
(d) A reason why he left.
4. What is the significance of the title of the book, "On the Lame?"
(a) Lame applies to several elements of the story with different definitions.
(b) It has no significance.
(c) The author thought the story of Martin Guerre was lame.
(d) Martin is on the run for most of the book.
5. What was the impostor's defense in the second trial?
(a) That he, the impostor, had amnesia.
(b) That Pierre was crazy.
(c) That he, the impostor, was crazy.
(d) That Pierre was lying because Pierre hated him.
6. How old was Jean de Coras when he received his doctorate degree?
7. ____________________was a little known lawyer and writer.
(a) Michel Du Faur.
(b) Arnaud du Tilh.
(c) Jean de Coras.
(d) Guillaume Le Sueur.
8. How old was Judge Jean de Coras when the second trial began?
9. Who made up the chambers of the Toulouse Parliament?
(a) Fifteen judges and two presidents.
(b) Ten judges and one president.
(c) Ten judges and two presidents.
(d) Five judges and one president.
10. Why were witnesses brought to the impostor before the trial?
(a) He had a right to question their character.
(b) To say hello.
(c) To observe the impostor's reaction.
(d) He had a right to try to talk them out of it.
11. When was Montaigne's book, "On the Lame," published?
12. Why does the author suspect Martin showed up at the courthouse?
(a) Martin wanted to be with his fmaily.
(b) Martin wanted to confront the impostor.
(c) Martin wanted to see Bertrande.
(d) Martin heard about the trial from villagers and wanted to get the truth out.
13. Who intervened when Martin got upset about the situation?
(a) Judge Jean de Coras.
14. How was Jean de Coras killed?
(a) He was buried alive.
(b) He was shot.
(c) He was poisoned.
(d) He was lynched.
15. What was a typical case for the courts in Rieux?
(a) Identity theft.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jean de Coras was a well known lecturer of what kind of law?
2. Of the people who testified the impostor is indeed an impostor, who was the most influential?
3. In "The Admirable History of the Pseudo-Martin of Toulouse," how was the story presented?
4. What evidence was presented to prove the impostor was an impostor?
5. How many times was Jean de Coras married?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)