|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the village shoemaker say about the impostor's feet?
(a) They had scars.
(b) They were too big to be Martin's.
(c) They were too small to be Martin's.
(d) They only had nine toes.
2. How did the impostor prepare Martin's family for their first meeting?
(a) He announced "Martin's" return so they would be expecting him.
(b) He wrote them a long letter.
(c) He put an ad in the newspaper.
(d) He sent a friend to Bertrande's house to inform her.
3. Why were there no pictures of Martin to compare to the impostor?
(a) Only royalty had their pictures painted.
(b) Bertrande burned them all in anger.
(c) Bertrande tore them all up in anger.
(d) Martin didn't like to have his picture taken.
4. Who do Bertrande and Martin name their baby boy after?
(b) Martin's father.
(c) Martin's uncle.
(d) Bernarde's father.
5. Who met the impostor first?
(d) Martin's sisters.
6. How did the impostor learn initially learn about the details of Martin's life?
(a) By listening to what Martin's friends said about Martin.
(b) By listening to two strangers talk about Martin.
(c) By reading about it in the newspaper.
(d) By listening to Martin tell his story.
7. How many children did Arnaud and Betrande produce?
8. What was the relationship between Sanxi and Martin?
(a) They were brothers.
(b) They were cousins.
(c) They were friends.
(d) They were father and son.
9. Who may have helped Bertrande during the time she was alone?
(b) Bertrande's mother.
(c) Martin's sisters.
(d) Jean de Coras.
10. Why does the author think the impostor was not in a hurry to return to home?
(a) He was tired of traveling.
(b) He was looking for adventure.
(c) He didn't want to see his father.
(d) He was afraid of being arrested.
11. What was the outcome of Martin's wound?
(a) His arm was amputated at the elbow.
(b) He arm was amputated and he got a wooden arm.
(c) He got an infection and nearly died.
(d) His leg was amputated and he was given a wooden leg.
12. What did Martin and his wife name their child?
13. The author believes the impostor might have even _________ his act as Martin.
(d) Written about.
14. Only one of the children the impostor and Bertrande produced lived. What was this child's name?
15. Why did Martin want to wait until a peace treaty was signed between France and Spain before he returned home?
(a) He was afraid of being accused of treason.
(b) He was afraid of being blocked by troops from traveling.
(c) He wanted to make sure he is not needed anymore.
(d) He was afraid of getting killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author speculates about where Martin could have gone when he disappeared. What does the author say was the most likely place Martin went to?
2. Why did Martin's impostor demand to see the account books?
3. From whom did the most damning evidence against the impostor come?
4. What new language is Martin believed to have learned after leaving home?
5. What example does the author give of other people who have taken a false identity?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)