|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pierre noticed that Martin's impostor did not participate in _______________ as Martin did when he was younger.
2. Why did Bertrande and the impostor stay at the inn instead of going home right away?
(a) Pierre wanted to fix up their house before they returned.
(b) Bertrande was too overwhelmed to travel.
(c) To get their stories straight.
(d) To get to know one another "again."
3. What is the relationship between Pierre and Martin?
(a) They were cousins.
(b) They were brothers.
(c) They were father and son.
(d) They were uncle and nephew.
4. The Guerre family prospered by working in three industries of business. What were the three industries?
(a) Farming, shoe repair, and construction
(b) Farming, shoe repair, and real estate.
(c) Construction, shoe repair, and real estate.
(d) Farming, construction, and real estate.
5. Martin is believed to have ended up in the army where he fought in and won a crucial battle. Which of the following is a battle Martin fought in?
(a) The Battle of Toulouse.
(b) The Battle of Artigat.
(c) The Battle of Normandy.
(d) The Battle of Picardy.
6. Why was the Battle of Picardy so important?
(a) It was the battle where the Spanish lost 1300 men.
(b) It was the battle where the French defeated the Spanish.
(c) It was the battle where the French lost 1300 men.
(d) It was the battle where the Spanish defeated the French.
7. How did the impostor prepare Martin's family for their first meeting?
(a) He put an ad in the newspaper.
(b) He wrote them a long letter.
(c) He sent a friend to Bertrande's house to inform her.
(d) He announced "Martin's" return so they would be expecting him.
8. The impostor was able to impersonate Martin so convincingly because of his ability to _____.
(a) Speak French.
(b) Remember details.
(c) Take notes.
9. What example does the author give of other people who have taken a false identity?
(a) House burgulars.
(b) Kids in Halloween costumes.
(c) Carnival participants.
(d) Actors in a play.
10. In Chapter 3, the author speculates Martin may have _________Bertrande.
11. The beginning of Chapter 5 found the impostor on his way home, but taking his time about it. Where was he temporarily living?
(a) In a hostel.
(b) In a hotel.
(c) At a friend's house.
(d) On the streets.
12. Why did the author rule out the possibility of Martin having gone to the university?
(a) Martin was a peasant.
(b) Martin hated school.
(c) The university was too far away.
(d) Martin was illiterate.
13. Who did Martin marry?
(a) Emily de Avis
(b) Jean de Coras.
(c) Bertrande de Rols.
(d) Bernarde du Tilh.
14. Land was limited in the impostor's village. How did peasants find enough land to farm?
(a) They use garden boxes.
(b) They steal it.
(d) They go to neighboring villages and use the land.
15. How many sisters did the real Martin have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Bertrande end her marriage and remarry?
2. How old was Martin's wife when he disappeared?
3. What did Martin and his wife name their child?
4. What was the relationship between Sanxi and Pierre?
5. Who may have helped Bertrande during the time she was alone?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)