|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following character traits best described Bertrande?
2. Why were there no pictures of Martin to compare to the impostor?
(a) Only royalty had their pictures painted.
(b) Martin didn't like to have his picture taken.
(c) Bertrande burned them all in anger.
(d) Bertrande tore them all up in anger.
3. How many children did Arnaud and Betrande produce?
4. Pierre noticed that Martin's impostor did not participate in _______________ as Martin did when he was younger.
5. What three things does the author say Bertrande did while she Martin was away?
(a) She did crafts, played with Martin's sisters, and raised her son.
(b) She worked, raised her son, and waited.
(c) She learned to read, raised her son, and played with Martin's sisters.
(d) She spun thread, raised her son, and waited.
6. Only one of the children the impostor and Bertrande produced lived. What was this child's name?
7. Martin is believed to have ended up in the army where he fought in and won a crucial battle. Which of the following is a battle Martin fought in?
(a) The Battle of Normandy.
(b) The Battle of Picardy.
(c) The Battle of Artigat.
(d) The Battle of Toulouse.
8. What could Bertrande have done to end her marriage after Martin left?
(a) She could have filed for a divorce.
(b) She could have begged the Pope.
(c) She could have fabricated evidence that he died.
(d) She could have remarried.
9. What was the relationship between Sanxi and Martin?
(a) They were cousins.
(b) They were friends.
(c) They were father and son.
(d) They were brothers.
10. What alternate term is used for "Lord," in the impostor's old village?
(b) Land owner.
(c) The father.
11. How many sisters did the real Martin have?
12. How were Martin's problems with producing an heir solved?
(a) The doctor gave Bertrande a special syrup.
(b) An old lady, "Lifted the spell."
(c) The doctor gave Martin a special syrup.
(d) Martin started exercising.
13. Why did the author rule out the possibility of Martin having gone to the university?
(a) Martin was illiterate.
(b) Martin was a peasant.
(c) The university was too far away.
(d) Martin hated school.
14. What was the main reason suspected for Martin's sudden disappearance?
(a) He was accused of stealing grain by his father.
(b) Having a baby was too much for him and he wanted to leave.
(c) He was not in love with Bertrande and wanted to leave.
(d) He was bored.
15. Who met the impostor first?
(a) Martin's sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Martin wounded in the Battle of Picardy?
2. How many brothers did the impostor have?
3. What fact leads the author to believe the impostor was after more than an inheritance?
4. Who do Bertrande and Martin name their baby boy after?
5. The author believes the impostor might have even _________ his act as Martin.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)