|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a large area populated by Protestants called in France?
2. The Guerre family prospered by working in three industries of business. What were the three industries?
(a) Farming, shoe repair, and real estate.
(b) Construction, shoe repair, and real estate.
(c) Farming, construction, and real estate.
(d) Farming, shoe repair, and construction
3. Land was limited in the impostor's village. How did peasants find enough land to farm?
(a) They go to neighboring villages and use the land.
(b) They use garden boxes.
(d) They steal it.
4. How long did it take the impostor to get from his old village to Artigat?
(a) Three days.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two days.
(d) One day.
5. Why couldn't Martin and his wife conceive a baby?
(a) Martin was impotent.
(b) Martin had fertility problems.
(c) Bertrande had fertility problems.
(d) Bertrande was too young.
6. Who may have helped Bertrande during the time she was alone?
(a) Jean de Coras.
(b) Bertrande's mother.
(d) Martin's sisters.
7. Why did Bertrande have to maintain she always believed the impostor was Martin?
(a) So she wouldn't be charged with adultery.
(b) So she wouldn't be hung.
(c) So she wouldn't lose her children.
(d) So she wouldn't be poor.
8. In the beginning of Bertrande's marriage, she spent her free time ___________________.
(a) Playing with Martin's sisters.
(b) Playing kickball with neighbors.
(c) Knitting mittens.
9. What was the outcome of Martin's wound?
(a) He arm was amputated and he got a wooden arm.
(b) His leg was amputated and he was given a wooden leg.
(c) His arm was amputated at the elbow.
(d) He got an infection and nearly died.
10. What battle were both Martin and the impostor said to have fought in?
11. Who was Bertrande most likely to have told her troubles to?
(c) Her mother.
(d) Saint Catherine.
12. How did the impostor prepare Martin's family for their first meeting?
(a) He announced "Martin's" return so they would be expecting him.
(b) He wrote them a long letter.
(c) He sent a friend to Bertrande's house to inform her.
(d) He put an ad in the newspaper.
13. A key character trait known about the impostor is that he was _______.
(a) Very social.
14. The author speculates about where Martin could have gone when he disappeared. What does the author say was the most likely place Martin went to?
15. The author speculates Bertrande dreamed of a husband who would come back and ____________.
(a) Support her.
(b) Be different.
(c) Love her.
(d) Say he was sorry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, the author speculates Martin may have _________Bertrande.
2. Why did Bertrande and the impostor stay at the inn instead of going home right away?
3. What did Pierre do to retaliate against the impostor's threats?
4. What example does the author give of other people who have taken a false identity?
5. What physical evidence was there that the impostor could not be Martin?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)