|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the impostor learn initially learn about the details of Martin's life?
(a) By listening to two strangers talk about Martin.
(b) By reading about it in the newspaper.
(c) By listening to what Martin's friends said about Martin.
(d) By listening to Martin tell his story.
2. What two hobbies did Martin enjoy?
(a) Bowling and soccer.
(b) Swordplay and acrobatics.
(c) Horseracing and kickball.
(d) Horse riding and gymnastics.
3. Bertrande, like most women of her time, took on traditional female work, such as house work, crafting, spinning thread, and baking bread. What other work did women do at the time?
4. When did the impostor join the French Army?
(a) After he got in trouble for theft and other crimes.
(b) After he ran out of money.
(c) After he was caught with the King's wife.
(d) After his father kicked him out.
5. Why didn't Bertrande end her marriage?
(a) She wanted to make her mother mad.
(b) She wanted her son to get his inheritance.
(c) She needed to be a Guerre.
(d) She still loved Martin.
6. Why did Martin want to wait until a peace treaty was signed between France and Spain before he returned home?
(a) He was afraid of getting killed.
(b) He wanted to make sure he is not needed anymore.
(c) He was afraid of being accused of treason.
(d) He was afraid of being blocked by troops from traveling.
7. What example does the author give of other people who have taken a false identity?
(a) Carnival participants.
(b) Kids in Halloween costumes.
(c) House burgulars.
(d) Actors in a play.
8. In Chapter 3, the author speculates Martin may have _________Bertrande.
9. How did the family get to their new home?
(a) Rode a horse and carriage.
(d) Rode the train.
10. The author speculates about where Martin could have gone when he disappeared. What does the author say was the most likely place Martin went to?
11. A key character trait known about the impostor is that he was _______.
(b) Very social.
12. Who may have helped Bertrande during the time she was alone?
(b) Bertrande's mother.
(c) Jean de Coras.
(d) Martin's sisters.
13. What alternate term is used for "Lord," in the impostor's old village?
(a) The father.
(b) Land owner.
14. Where were court cases heard for Artigat villagers and other area villagers?
15. The Guerre family prospered by working in three industries of business. What were the three industries?
(a) Farming, shoe repair, and construction
(b) Construction, shoe repair, and real estate.
(c) Farming, shoe repair, and real estate.
(d) Farming, construction, and real estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Martin and his wife conceive a baby?
2. What physical evidence was there that the impostor could not be Martin?
3. What did Martin's uncle do that further complicated his and Bertrande's strained relationship?
4. Only one of the children the impostor and Bertrande produced lived. What was this child's name?
5. How did the impostor prepare Martin's family for their first meeting?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)