|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, _________is on the verge of a civil war.
2. From whom did the most damning evidence against the impostor come?
(a) A soldier.
3. How old was Martin's wife when he disappeared?
4. How did the impostor prepare Martin's family for their first meeting?
(a) He sent a friend to Bertrande's house to inform her.
(b) He put an ad in the newspaper.
(c) He wrote them a long letter.
(d) He announced "Martin's" return so they would be expecting him.
5. How did neighborhood boys tease Martin and his wife?
(a) They dressed up as girls and danced in front of Martin's home.
(b) They followed Martin and laughed at him.
(c) They trampled Martin's flowers.
(d) They threw rocks at Martin's house.
6. What village did the Guerre family move to?
7. What three things does the author say Bertrande did while she Martin was away?
(a) She did crafts, played with Martin's sisters, and raised her son.
(b) She spun thread, raised her son, and waited.
(c) She learned to read, raised her son, and played with Martin's sisters.
(d) She worked, raised her son, and waited.
8. Instead of considering Martin and Bertrande's problem as a medical condition, villagers believed they were ______.
9. Who did Martin marry?
(a) Emily de Avis
(b) Bertrande de Rols.
(c) Jean de Coras.
(d) Bernarde du Tilh.
10. Who was Bertrande most likely to have told her troubles to?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Saint Catherine.
11. While Martin was away, what happened to Sanxi (Martin's father)?
(a) Sanxi caught the measles and nearly died.
(b) Sanxi remarried.
(c) Sanxi died.
(d) Sanxi was injured in a farming accident.
12. Land was limited in the impostor's village. How did peasants find enough land to farm?
(a) They steal it.
(b) They go to neighboring villages and use the land.
(d) They use garden boxes.
13. What fact leads the author to believe the impostor was after more than an inheritance?
(a) The impostor told people he was in love with Bertrande.
(b) The impostor wrote in a journal that he wanted revenge against Sanxi.
(c) The impostor confessed he wanted Martin's life.
(d) The impostor's elaborate preparations.
14. Sanxi and Pierre were good with numbers, but could not____________.
(a) Write their own names.
(b) Make money.
(c) Count over 100.
(d) Follow directions.
15. A key character trait known about the impostor is that he was _______.
(b) Very social.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Arnaud and Betrande produce?
2. How did the family get to their new home?
3. How long did it take the family to get to their new home?
4. In Chapter 3, the author speculates Martin may have _________Bertrande.
5. What village was the impostor from?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)