|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were Martin's problems with producing an heir solved?
(a) Martin started exercising.
(b) An old lady, "Lifted the spell."
(c) The doctor gave Bertrande a special syrup.
(d) The doctor gave Martin a special syrup.
2. In what way was the Guerre family's new village most like their old one?
(a) The land was fertile.
(b) The leadership was weak.
(c) There were no jobs.
(d) The village was very poor.
3. A key character trait known about the impostor is that he was _______.
(b) Very social.
4. Which of the following was a probable incentive for the impostor to impersonate Martin?
(a) A bigger inheritance.
(b) He wanted to hurt Bertrande.
(c) He wanted Martin's clothes.
(d) He wanted to steal from Pierre.
5. The Guerre family changes their name in the story. What was their original name?
(b) Van Guerre.
6. What did Martin's uncle do that further complicated his and Bertrande's strained relationship?
(a) He married Bertrande's mother.
(b) He accused Bertrande of stealing.
(c) He married Bertrande's sister.
(d) He accused Bertrande of running Martin off.
7. Land was limited in the impostor's village. How did peasants find enough land to farm?
(a) They use garden boxes.
(b) They steal it.
(c) They go to neighboring villages and use the land.
8. What was the main reason suspected for Martin's sudden disappearance?
(a) Having a baby was too much for him and he wanted to leave.
(b) He was bored.
(c) He was accused of stealing grain by his father.
(d) He was not in love with Bertrande and wanted to leave.
9. Why does the author think the impostor was not in a hurry to return to home?
(a) He was afraid of being arrested.
(b) He was looking for adventure.
(c) He didn't want to see his father.
(d) He was tired of traveling.
10. How did neighborhood boys tease Martin and his wife?
(a) They threw rocks at Martin's house.
(b) They followed Martin and laughed at him.
(c) They dressed up as girls and danced in front of Martin's home.
(d) They trampled Martin's flowers.
11. Why didn't Bertrande end her marriage?
(a) She wanted to make her mother mad.
(b) She needed to be a Guerre.
(c) She still loved Martin.
(d) She wanted her son to get his inheritance.
12. What disease was Arnaud believed to be recovering from when he met Bertrande?
(b) Small Pox.
13. What did Pierre do to retaliate against the impostor's threats?
(a) He accused him of being an impostor.
(b) He threatened to kill him.
(c) He cut him off financially.
(d) He accused him of stealing grain.
14. When did the impostor join the French Army?
(a) After he was caught with the King's wife.
(b) After he got in trouble for theft and other crimes.
(c) After he ran out of money.
(d) After his father kicked him out.
15. How old was Martin's wife when he disappeared?
Short Answer Questions
1. What new language is Martin believed to have learned after leaving home?
2. What village did the Guerre family move to?
3. While Martin was away, what happened to Sanxi (Martin's father)?
4. Who did Martin marry?
5. What village was the impostor from?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)