Chapter 1, From Hendaye to Artigat
• Sanxi Guerre (Martin's father) moved his family (his wife, child and younger brother, Pierre) from their French village in Hendaye in the Basque country to their new village of Artigat.
• The entire trip took them three days because they walked the whole way.
• The Guerres change their name from Da Guerre to Guerre to blend into the French society.
• The Guerres prosper as farmers, tile makers, and property owners.
• Martin (14 years old) marries Bertrande de Rols (10 years old) in an arranged marriage.
Chapter 2, the Discontented Peasant
• Martin and Bertrande are unable to reproduce for 8 years.
• Martin and Berrande are said to be "bewitched," but the clinical reason for their inability to reproduce is that Martin is impotent.
• An old lady declares the bewitching spell lifted after 8 years and Bertrande gives birth to a boy they name Sanxi, after Martin's father.
• Martin longs for...
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)