|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many heads did the chimaera have?
2. When did Spencer end his arrangement with the American Carnival?
3. How did Spencer refer to the fawn-child in his journal when he discussed the importance of detailed notes?
(c) Barely human.
4. When did Spencer write about the dissection of the fawn-child in his journal?
(a) September 3.
(b) July 21.
(c) August 14.
(d) October 17.
5. At the beginning of Chapter 7, where was Spencer traveling?
6. Oddly, how did Spencer feel as he dissected the fawn-child?
(a) Frustrated and irritated.
(b) Vitalized and nourished.
(c) Angry and exhausted.
(d) Excited and invigorated.
7. Where were great statues of the sphinx found?
8. To what class did Spencer assign the sphinx?
9. Where did Dr. Joab A. Holace believe that Spencer’s paper about the fawn-child should have been published?
(a) Penny dreadful.
(c) Scientific journal.
10. How long did Spencer perform at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 15 days.
(c) 10 days.
(d) 3 days.
11. In Chapter 7, how long did Spencer’s new show run publicly in the U.S.?
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
12. How many horse-drawn caravans traveled with the American Carnival?
13. In Chapter 6, where was Spencer’s show challenged to be indecent and blasphemous?
(a) Oneida County, New York.
(b) St. Lewis County, New York.
(c) Marris County, New York.
(d) Lawrence County, New York.
14. What did Samuel study after he went to live with his uncle and aunt?
(b) Architecture and engineering.
15. How many universities did Spencer approach asking them to publish his paper on the fawn-child?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tail did the Chimaera have?
2. What did Spencer call the harpy-like creature he created in Chapter 6?
3. What did Spencer call the new show he began in Chapter 7?
4. In ancient times, how was the siren described?
5. How many different species are listed in the Codex?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)