|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the Codex published?
(c) New York.
2. How old was Rose, one of the performers in Spencer’s new show?
3. What name did Spencer give Alphonse after performing surgery on him?
(a) Unaging man.
(b) Strong man.
(c) Winged man.
(d) Sleepless man.
4. What happened shortly after Spencer submitted the fawn-child paper to the academy?
(a) They gave him a new program to manage.
(b) They fired him.
(c) They took away his operating privileges.
(d) They terminated his funding.
5. How long was Spencer booked to perform at the World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 5 months.
6. When did Spencer unveil the new show he had created in Chapter 7?
7. When was it not uncommon to believe in sirens or mermaids?
(a) Eighteenth century.
(b) Nineteenth century.
(c) Seventeenth century.
(d) Sixteenth century.
8. On what continent did the sphinx derive according to the Codex?
(c) South America.
9. To what does Spencer compare Alphonse in Chapter 5?
(a) Healthy tree.
(c) Sturdy animal.
(d) Strong plant.
10. In Chapter 6, where did the dining room of an exclusive dinner club get destroyed because of Spencer’s actions?
(b) New Jersey.
11. When was Spencer’s Codex published?
12. How many limbs did Spencer believe some minotaurs might have had?
13. Who published the Codex?
(a) Sotsky and Son.
(b) Gilbert & Dean.
(c) A & C Black.
(d) John Wiley & Sons.
14. When did Spencer write about the dissection of the fawn-child in his journal?
(a) July 21.
(b) August 14.
(c) September 3.
(d) October 17.
15. What seasons was the carnival open?
(a) Summer and fall.
(b) All year around.
(c) Spring, summer, and fall.
(d) Spring and summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what was the name of the person who said that Spencer’s show was indecent and blasphemous?
2. In Chapter 6, how old was Alphonse when he helped his father create creatures for the carnival?
3. What changed Spencer’s career and aspirations in Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 5, how does Spencer say that Alphonse is growing?
5. Who was the wealthy, eccentric naturalist who paid Spencer for a private demonstration of the show at his estate?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)