|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who panics upon seeing Sunny in her predicament?
2. Whose face couldn't be read?
3. What is odd about the doctor's hand when he opens the door to the reptile room?
4. Who does Mr. Poe say can't drive a car to town?
5. What do the children think it would be easier to argue with rather than Mr. Poe?
Essay Topic 1
Count Olaf is the bad guy in the story.
1) In what ways is he a 'Criminal Mastermind' if any.
2) Is he smarter than the children?
3) Look at Count Olaf's personality. What are his strengths? What are his weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
What role do the adults take on in the story? In what ways is it a typical role? In what way is it atypical?
In what ways are the Baudelaire children's role typical? Not typical?
Essay Topic 3
At the very end of the story the children compliment each other on the things that they were able to accomplish that eventually unmasked Count Olaf.
1) Was it necessary for the children to tell each other how well each of them did at this point?
2) Would it have been the same if they had said it before they went to sleep?
3) What purpose does an honest compliment serve to a person in a general sense? How does that compare to the compliment the children gave each other?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)