|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet go get from the kitchen to make her invention slick?
2. What do the children think it would be easier to argue with rather than Mr. Poe?
3. What does Violet NOT find in the suitcase when it is open?
4. Who does Violet realize is watching her as she tries to break into the suitcase?
5. What has Violet created when she is done?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in chapter seven when Stephano first walks into the room where Dr. Montgomery's body is lying.
2. In chapter ten what does the author tell about the boy that cried wolf?
3. What does Klaus discover about the Mamba du Mal in chapter nine?
4. What does Klaus and Mr. Poe discuss while they are walking up to the house in chapter eight?
5. At the end of chapter ten how does Klaus explain the meaning of Sunny's exclamation 'Aha'?
6. What is the reaction gotten when Sunny is found with the Incredibly Deadly Viper wrapped around her body?
7. What is Stephano's reaction when Mr. Poe is panicing because Sunny has been bitten by the Incredibly Deadly Viper?
8. In the beginning of chapter nine what does the narrator explain is different when the children walk into the Reptile Room?
9. What is Stephano's response when he has been caught in a lie about his snake knowledge in chapter twelve?
10. What happens when the two cars crash in chapter seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Poe tells them that good girls shouldn't know how to pick locks. Explain what he meant by this statement.
Mr. Poe says that a grown man doesn't get involved in car chases and that it is a job for the police. What does this reveal to the reader about Mr. Poe's personality?
Essay Topic 2
What role do the adults take on in the story? In what ways is it a typical role? In what way is it atypical?
In what ways are the Baudelaire children's role typical? Not typical?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Luck to Planing and Preparation.
1) There are a few good things that happen to the Baudelaire children. Are those things more likely luck or preparation and planning?
2) Is it more important to be lucky or prepared?
3) In what way could the Baudelaire children have prepared themselves more?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)