|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe Violet's homemade invention?
2. What does Sunny do, after Violet has left the room, while sitting in front of the Incredibly Deadly Viper's open cage?
3. What does the word 'Brummagem' mean as it is used to describe Stephano's look of surprise?
4. Where does Violet put the contents of Stephan's suitcase when she enters the Reptile Room?
5. What does Violet realize Stephano has done to the curtains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Violet regretting in chapter seven while she is getting into the Jeep with Stephano?
2. What is Stephano's reaction when Mr. Poe is panicing because Sunny has been bitten by the Incredibly Deadly Viper?
3. Describe the story that the doctor tells to exlpain the death of Dr. Montgomery?
4. In the beginning of chapter nine what does the narrator explain is different when the children walk into the Reptile Room?
5. At the end of chapter ten how does Klaus explain the meaning of Sunny's exclamation 'Aha'?
6. In chapter ten what does the author tell about the boy that cried wolf?
7. What does Violet think about while she is standing outside Stephano's bedroom door?
8. Describe the situation in chapter twelve where Mr. Poe insists on seeing Stephano's leg.
9. What does Violet suddenly realize in chapter eleven while she is trying to open the suitcase belonging to Stephano?
10. What is Violet doing in the beginning of chapter eleven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Baudelaire children and Olaf are the main focus of the story there are other characters involved.
Look at Mr. Poe and Uncle Monty. Describe Mr. Poe's personality. Describe Uncle Monty's personality.
Which one of these characters is a more accurate description of Count Olaf's opposite? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Poe tells them that good girls shouldn't know how to pick locks. Explain what he meant by this statement.
Mr. Poe says that a grown man doesn't get involved in car chases and that it is a job for the police. What does this reveal to the reader about Mr. Poe's personality?
Essay Topic 3
The series is call A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS. What events in the story could be called fortunate rather than unfortunate? Why do the unfortunate events seem to overshadow the others?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)