|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Stephano claim to be the reason he doesn't want Mr. Poe to rub his ankle?
2. What is wrapped around Sunny's body?
3. What did Stephano have which belonged to Dr. Montgomery, that Stephano planned to use to pass as Dr. Montgomery?
4. What does the look on Klaus' face show he is feeling after they have exposed Stephano's lies?
5. What does the doctor suggest is the reason that Dr. Montgomery wasn't bruised?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Violet is able to get the suitcase open in chapter eleven.
2. At the end of chapter ten how does Klaus explain the meaning of Sunny's exclamation 'Aha'?
3. What does Klaus discover about the Mamba du Mal in chapter nine?
4. In chapter eight what does the narrator explain is the difference between Violet and Klaus in regards to their regrets?
5. Describe the story that the doctor tells to exlpain the death of Dr. Montgomery?
6. What does Violet think about while she is standing outside Stephano's bedroom door?
7. What does Violet suddenly realize in chapter eleven while she is trying to open the suitcase belonging to Stephano?
8. What happens when the two cars crash in chapter seven?
9. What does Violet explain that Stephano intended to do after killing Dr. Montgomery?
10. Describe the scene in chapter seven when Stephano first walks into the room where Dr. Montgomery's body is lying.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Baudelaire children and Olaf are the main focus of the story there are other characters involved.
Look at Mr. Poe and Uncle Monty. Describe Mr. Poe's personality. Describe Uncle Monty's personality.
Which one of these characters is a more accurate description of Count Olaf's opposite? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The three Baudelaire children aren't shown fighting with each other as normal children often do.
1) Does this make the Baudelaire children less believable? Why.
2) Describe how each of the children differ from each other as normal siblings do. Are there any traits that they do share? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
At the very end of the story the children compliment each other on the things that they were able to accomplish that eventually unmasked Count Olaf.
1) Was it necessary for the children to tell each other how well each of them did at this point?
2) Would it have been the same if they had said it before they went to sleep?
3) What purpose does an honest compliment serve to a person in a general sense? How does that compare to the compliment the children gave each other?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)