|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephano call Mr. Poe when he pretends to first meet Mr. Poe?
2. What does Stephano say that the doctor will do for Mr. Poe after he is done with the examination?
3. What does Stephano say that they don't have when Klaus accuses him of being Dr. Montgomery's killer?
4. What does Mr. Poe say about picking a lock?
5. What does Violet go get from the kitchen to make her invention slick?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of chapter ten how does Klaus explain the meaning of Sunny's exclamation 'Aha'?
2. What does Violet say that they are going in the Reptile Room for as she describes it in chapter nine?
3. What does Violet suddenly realize in chapter eleven while she is trying to open the suitcase belonging to Stephano?
4. Describe the lockpick that Violet had made.
5. What does Klaus and Mr. Poe discuss while they are walking up to the house in chapter eight?
6. Describe the scene in chapter seven when Stephano first walks into the room where Dr. Montgomery's body is lying.
7. What does Violet think about while she is standing outside Stephano's bedroom door?
8. What does Stephano do when Klaus refuses to go until the police are called?
9. What does Klaus discover about the Mamba du Mal in chapter nine?
10. Describe how Stephano killed Dr. Montgomery as Violet explains it in chapter twelve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do the adults take on in the story? In what ways is it a typical role? In what way is it atypical?
In what ways are the Baudelaire children's role typical? Not typical?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator tells the reader before hand that Uncle Monty dies.
1) Is this true foreshadowing or has the narrator given away a key piece in the story? Explain.
2) What other way could the reader have realized that Uncle Monty was destined to die if the narrator hadn't exposed it?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Bruce play in the story? What does the children's response to Bruce's accusation that Dr. Montgomery was a moron say?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)