|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephano tell Mr. Poe he is taking the children?
2. Who does Klaus announce he sees?
3. What does Stephano offer the doctor and Mr. Poe when they enter the house?
4. What does Mr. Poe say about picking a lock?
5. What is one of the reasons given that a person shouldn't play with electricity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in chapter seven when Stephano first walks into the room where Dr. Montgomery's body is lying.
2. Describe the lockpick that Violet had made.
3. What does Violet explain that Stephano intended to do after killing Dr. Montgomery?
4. What is the reaction gotten when Sunny is found with the Incredibly Deadly Viper wrapped around her body?
5. Describe the story that the doctor tells to exlpain the death of Dr. Montgomery?
6. What does Violet suddenly realize in chapter eleven while she is trying to open the suitcase belonging to Stephano?
7. What does Klaus discover about the Mamba du Mal in chapter nine?
8. What is Violet regretting in chapter seven while she is getting into the Jeep with Stephano?
9. In chapter ten what does the author tell about the boy that cried wolf?
10. In chapter eight what does the narrator explain is the difference between Violet and Klaus in regards to their regrets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Count Olaf is the bad guy in the story.
1) In what ways is he a 'Criminal Mastermind' if any.
2) Is he smarter than the children?
3) Look at Count Olaf's personality. What are his strengths? What are his weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Luck to Planing and Preparation.
1) There are a few good things that happen to the Baudelaire children. Are those things more likely luck or preparation and planning?
2) Is it more important to be lucky or prepared?
3) In what way could the Baudelaire children have prepared themselves more?
Essay Topic 3
There are many different symbols seen in the story.
Discuss the use of the snake as a symbol.
Discuss the use of the eye as a symbol.
How do these two symbols compare to each other and the way in which they were used?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)