|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children begin to do as they drive away from the house?
2. What does Klaus say he is waiting on before he leaves?
3. What does Stephano accidentally call Dr. Montgomery's death?
4. What happens to Violet's invention when she tries to open the suitcase the last time?
5. Who does Violet realize is watching her as she tries to break into the suitcase?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in chapter seven when Stephano first walks into the room where Dr. Montgomery's body is lying.
2. In the beginning of chapter nine what does the narrator explain is different when the children walk into the Reptile Room?
3. What does Violet think about while she is standing outside Stephano's bedroom door?
4. At the end of chapter ten how does Klaus explain the meaning of Sunny's exclamation 'Aha'?
5. Describe what happens when Violet is able to get the suitcase open in chapter eleven.
6. What is Stephano's response when he has been caught in a lie about his snake knowledge in chapter twelve?
7. In chapter eight what does the narrator explain is the difference between Violet and Klaus in regards to their regrets?
8. What does Klaus and Mr. Poe discuss while they are walking up to the house in chapter eight?
9. In chapter ten what does the author tell about the boy that cried wolf?
10. Describe the situation in chapter twelve where Mr. Poe insists on seeing Stephano's leg.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the very end of the story the children compliment each other on the things that they were able to accomplish that eventually unmasked Count Olaf.
1) Was it necessary for the children to tell each other how well each of them did at this point?
2) Would it have been the same if they had said it before they went to sleep?
3) What purpose does an honest compliment serve to a person in a general sense? How does that compare to the compliment the children gave each other?
Essay Topic 2
Describe fear and the role it plays in the story. Is it possible that fear kept the children from unmasking Count Olaf earlier? Was Count Olaf ever shown to be afraid in the story? Explain your answer
Essay Topic 3
The children see straight through Count Olaf's disguise when he arrives.
1) Why can't the adults in the story see through the disguise?
2) Why were the children unable to identify the hook handed man before Sunny bit him?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)