|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Klaus trying not to do as Mr. Poe, Stephano and the doctor enter the Reptile Room?
2. What does Violet tell Sunny to do while Klaus is looking through books?
3. What does the word 'Brummagem' mean as it is used to describe Stephano's look of surprise?
4. Why does Klaus say he doesn't want to go in the Reptile Room?
5. Why does the doctor explain that he and Stephano can't switch cars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the lockpick that Violet had made.
2. What is Stephano's response when he has been caught in a lie about his snake knowledge in chapter twelve?
3. What does Violet suddenly realize in chapter eleven while she is trying to open the suitcase belonging to Stephano?
4. What is Stephano's reaction when Mr. Poe is panicing because Sunny has been bitten by the Incredibly Deadly Viper?
5. Describe what happens when Violet is able to get the suitcase open in chapter eleven.
6. What happens when the two cars crash in chapter seven?
7. What is the reaction gotten when Sunny is found with the Incredibly Deadly Viper wrapped around her body?
8. At the end of chapter ten how does Klaus explain the meaning of Sunny's exclamation 'Aha'?
9. What does Klaus discover about the Mamba du Mal in chapter nine?
10. In chapter eight what does the narrator explain is the difference between Violet and Klaus in regards to their regrets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Poe tells them that good girls shouldn't know how to pick locks. Explain what he meant by this statement.
Mr. Poe says that a grown man doesn't get involved in car chases and that it is a job for the police. What does this reveal to the reader about Mr. Poe's personality?
Essay Topic 2
Describe fear and the role it plays in the story. Is it possible that fear kept the children from unmasking Count Olaf earlier? Was Count Olaf ever shown to be afraid in the story? Explain your answer
Essay Topic 3
Describe Count Olaf's character. How does it compare to his fictional character, Stephano? Is there any difference between the two other than an eyebrow, the beard and the tattoo on the ankle?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)