|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who panics upon seeing Sunny in her predicament?
2. What is wrapped around Sunny's body?
3. What does Stephano claim to be to Mr. Poe?
4. What is Stephano holding when the orphans turn to face him?
5. What other children's story does the author make mention of in the story to talk about things that are fake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Violet explain that Stephano intended to do after killing Dr. Montgomery?
2. What does Violet suddenly realize in chapter eleven while she is trying to open the suitcase belonging to Stephano?
3. What does Klaus and Mr. Poe discuss while they are walking up to the house in chapter eight?
4. What happens when the two cars crash in chapter seven?
5. Describe the situation in chapter twelve where Mr. Poe insists on seeing Stephano's leg.
6. What does Klaus discover about the Mamba du Mal in chapter nine?
7. Describe the scene in chapter seven when Stephano first walks into the room where Dr. Montgomery's body is lying.
8. Describe the story that the doctor tells to exlpain the death of Dr. Montgomery?
9. What is Violet doing in the beginning of chapter eleven?
10. At the end of chapter ten how does Klaus explain the meaning of Sunny's exclamation 'Aha'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Count Olaf seems to have thought of everything and is even able to pass one of his accomplices off as the doctor.
In what way was it obvious that this was one of his accomplices?
In what way was Count Olaf's planning thorough? In what way did he seem to have not thought things through?
Is it possible that Count Olaf lucked into much of the information and situation that he found himself in?
Essay Topic 2
At the very end of the story the children compliment each other on the things that they were able to accomplish that eventually unmasked Count Olaf.
1) Was it necessary for the children to tell each other how well each of them did at this point?
2) Would it have been the same if they had said it before they went to sleep?
3) What purpose does an honest compliment serve to a person in a general sense? How does that compare to the compliment the children gave each other?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Poe tells them that good girls shouldn't know how to pick locks. Explain what he meant by this statement.
Mr. Poe says that a grown man doesn't get involved in car chases and that it is a job for the police. What does this reveal to the reader about Mr. Poe's personality?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)