|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet do to her invention to make it slide easier?
2. What does Mr. Poe say about picking a lock?
3. What does the look on Sunny's face show she is feeling after exposing Stephano's lies?
4. What is Stephano holding when the orphans turn to face him?
5. What does Stephano claim to be to Mr. Poe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Violet explain that Stephano intended to do after killing Dr. Montgomery?
2. Describe the story that the doctor tells to exlpain the death of Dr. Montgomery?
3. Describe how Stephano killed Dr. Montgomery as Violet explains it in chapter twelve?
4. What is Violet doing in the beginning of chapter eleven?
5. What does Violet say that they are going in the Reptile Room for as she describes it in chapter nine?
6. What is the reaction gotten when Sunny is found with the Incredibly Deadly Viper wrapped around her body?
7. What are the children trying to convince Mr. Poe of while they are sitting with Stephano waiting on the doctor to finish his examination?
8. In chapter ten what does the author tell about the boy that cried wolf?
9. In chapter eight what does the narrator explain is the difference between Violet and Klaus in regards to their regrets?
10. What is Stephano's response when he has been caught in a lie about his snake knowledge in chapter twelve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Poe tells them that good girls shouldn't know how to pick locks. Explain what he meant by this statement.
Mr. Poe says that a grown man doesn't get involved in car chases and that it is a job for the police. What does this reveal to the reader about Mr. Poe's personality?
Essay Topic 2
In what way do the Baudelaire children work together? Could they have defeated Count Olaf if they hadn't had each other? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The children see straight through Count Olaf's disguise when he arrives.
1) Why can't the adults in the story see through the disguise?
2) Why were the children unable to identify the hook handed man before Sunny bit him?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)