|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet do that signifies she is trying to think?
2. What does Stephano say that they don't have when Klaus accuses him of being Dr. Montgomery's killer?
3. What happens to Violet's invention when she tries to open the suitcase the last time?
4. Who does Klaus announce he sees?
5. What does Klaus mention that gives Violet a clue where to look for evidence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator tells the reader before hand that Uncle Monty dies.
1) Is this true foreshadowing or has the narrator given away a key piece in the story? Explain.
2) What other way could the reader have realized that Uncle Monty was destined to die if the narrator hadn't exposed it?
Essay Topic 2
At the very end of the story the children compliment each other on the things that they were able to accomplish that eventually unmasked Count Olaf.
1) Was it necessary for the children to tell each other how well each of them did at this point?
2) Would it have been the same if they had said it before they went to sleep?
3) What purpose does an honest compliment serve to a person in a general sense? How does that compare to the compliment the children gave each other?
Essay Topic 3
Count Olaf seems to have thought of everything and is even able to pass one of his accomplices off as the doctor.
In what way was it obvious that this was one of his accomplices?
In what way was Count Olaf's planning thorough? In what way did he seem to have not thought things through?
Is it possible that Count Olaf lucked into much of the information and situation that he found himself in?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)