|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor say that Dr. Montgomery appears to have died from?
2. Who does Violet realize is watching her as she tries to break into the suitcase?
3. What does Violet tell Sunny to do while Klaus is looking through books?
4. What is wrapped around Sunny's body?
5. What is Stephano holding when the orphans turn to face him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter ten what does the author tell about the boy that cried wolf?
2. What does Violet suddenly realize in chapter eleven while she is trying to open the suitcase belonging to Stephano?
3. What happens when the two cars crash in chapter seven?
4. Describe what happens when Violet is able to get the suitcase open in chapter eleven.
5. What are the children trying to convince Mr. Poe of while they are sitting with Stephano waiting on the doctor to finish his examination?
6. In chapter eight what does the narrator explain is the difference between Violet and Klaus in regards to their regrets?
7. What does Violet think about while she is standing outside Stephano's bedroom door?
8. Describe how Stephano killed Dr. Montgomery as Violet explains it in chapter twelve?
9. In the beginning of chapter nine what does the narrator explain is different when the children walk into the Reptile Room?
10. Describe the lockpick that Violet had made.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Bruce play in the story? What does the children's response to Bruce's accusation that Dr. Montgomery was a moron say?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role that the loss of Uncle Monty plays for the children. In what way does it compare to the loss of their parents? Is this loss reflective of what a person might feel in real life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator tells the reader before hand that Uncle Monty dies.
1) Is this true foreshadowing or has the narrator given away a key piece in the story? Explain.
2) What other way could the reader have realized that Uncle Monty was destined to die if the narrator hadn't exposed it?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)