|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Stephano give for not explaining his vast knowledge of snakes beforehand?
2. Why does Klaus say he doesn't want to go in the Reptile Room?
3. What does Violet do to her invention to make it slide easier?
4. What does the word 'Brummagem' mean as it is used to describe Stephano's look of surprise?
5. What does the author tell the reader that it is good and necessary to do sometimes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Violet think about while she is standing outside Stephano's bedroom door?
2. At the end of chapter ten how does Klaus explain the meaning of Sunny's exclamation 'Aha'?
3. What is Stephano's response when he has been caught in a lie about his snake knowledge in chapter twelve?
4. In the beginning of chapter nine what does the narrator explain is different when the children walk into the Reptile Room?
5. What does Stephano do when Klaus refuses to go until the police are called?
6. Describe the situation in chapter twelve where Mr. Poe insists on seeing Stephano's leg.
7. What does Violet say that they are going in the Reptile Room for as she describes it in chapter nine?
8. What does Violet suddenly realize in chapter eleven while she is trying to open the suitcase belonging to Stephano?
9. Describe the scene in chapter seven when Stephano first walks into the room where Dr. Montgomery's body is lying.
10. What does Klaus and Mr. Poe discuss while they are walking up to the house in chapter eight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Count Olaf is the bad guy in the story.
1) In what ways is he a 'Criminal Mastermind' if any.
2) Is he smarter than the children?
3) Look at Count Olaf's personality. What are his strengths? What are his weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator tells the reader before hand that Uncle Monty dies.
1) Is this true foreshadowing or has the narrator given away a key piece in the story? Explain.
2) What other way could the reader have realized that Uncle Monty was destined to die if the narrator hadn't exposed it?
Essay Topic 3
Count Olaf seems to have thought of everything and is even able to pass one of his accomplices off as the doctor.
In what way was it obvious that this was one of his accomplices?
In what way was Count Olaf's planning thorough? In what way did he seem to have not thought things through?
Is it possible that Count Olaf lucked into much of the information and situation that he found himself in?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)