|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator explain that inventions, such as the one Violet has made, are used by?
2. What does Stephano's bed have on it?
3. What makes Klaus suddenly very angry with the doctor?
4. What does Violet put on the floor while she tries to listen on the adults' conversation?
5. What is Mr. Poe doing when he hears Sunny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction gotten when Sunny is found with the Incredibly Deadly Viper wrapped around her body?
2. What does Violet think about while she is standing outside Stephano's bedroom door?
3. What is Violet doing in the beginning of chapter eleven?
4. In chapter eight what does the narrator explain is the difference between Violet and Klaus in regards to their regrets?
5. What are the children trying to convince Mr. Poe of while they are sitting with Stephano waiting on the doctor to finish his examination?
6. Describe the scene in chapter seven when Stephano first walks into the room where Dr. Montgomery's body is lying.
7. Describe the lockpick that Violet had made.
8. What is Stephano's reaction when Mr. Poe is panicing because Sunny has been bitten by the Incredibly Deadly Viper?
9. Describe how Stephano killed Dr. Montgomery as Violet explains it in chapter twelve?
10. In chapter ten what does the author tell about the boy that cried wolf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Count Olaf seems to have thought of everything and is even able to pass one of his accomplices off as the doctor.
In what way was it obvious that this was one of his accomplices?
In what way was Count Olaf's planning thorough? In what way did he seem to have not thought things through?
Is it possible that Count Olaf lucked into much of the information and situation that he found himself in?
Essay Topic 2
1) What is significant about Violet's need to pull her hair back in order to think properly?
2) Does this trait add or detract from her character?
3) How does her idiosyncrasy compare to those found in real life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Luck to Planing and Preparation.
1) There are a few good things that happen to the Baudelaire children. Are those things more likely luck or preparation and planning?
2) Is it more important to be lucky or prepared?
3) In what way could the Baudelaire children have prepared themselves more?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)