|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the look on Sunny's face show she is feeling after exposing Stephano's lies?
2. What does Violet go get from the kitchen to make her invention slick?
3. Who panics upon seeing Sunny in her predicament?
4. Why does the doctor explain that he and Stephano can't switch cars?
5. What does the doctor suggest is the reason that Dr. Montgomery wasn't bruised?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story that the doctor tells to exlpain the death of Dr. Montgomery?
2. Describe how Stephano killed Dr. Montgomery as Violet explains it in chapter twelve?
3. What does Violet say that they are going in the Reptile Room for as she describes it in chapter nine?
4. What is the reaction gotten when Sunny is found with the Incredibly Deadly Viper wrapped around her body?
5. Describe the situation in chapter twelve where Mr. Poe insists on seeing Stephano's leg.
6. What does Klaus and Mr. Poe discuss while they are walking up to the house in chapter eight?
7. What is Stephano's reaction when Mr. Poe is panicing because Sunny has been bitten by the Incredibly Deadly Viper?
8. At the end of chapter ten how does Klaus explain the meaning of Sunny's exclamation 'Aha'?
9. What is Violet doing in the beginning of chapter eleven?
10. What are the children trying to convince Mr. Poe of while they are sitting with Stephano waiting on the doctor to finish his examination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way do the Baudelaire children work together? Could they have defeated Count Olaf if they hadn't had each other? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The snake was thought of as a friend to the children and the children and the snake cried as they were separated.
1) How would the scene have been viewed differently if the creature had been something more accepted as a pet such as a puppy or a cat?
2) Why did the author chose a snake to be the only thing left to share the Baudelaire's tears?
3) What was the author's purpose in having the snake cry?
Essay Topic 3
At the very end of the story the children compliment each other on the things that they were able to accomplish that eventually unmasked Count Olaf.
1) Was it necessary for the children to tell each other how well each of them did at this point?
2) Would it have been the same if they had said it before they went to sleep?
3) What purpose does an honest compliment serve to a person in a general sense? How does that compare to the compliment the children gave each other?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)