|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Monty say in his letter he has NOT gone to town to get?
2. What does Dr. Montgomery suggest he could get for Sunny?
3. What does Mr. Poe tell the children they should address Dr. Montgomery as?
4. Where does Dr. Montgomery say the children and he will be going in just ten days?
5. What does Mr. Poe warn Klaus in the car not to do to Dr. Montgomery in regards to Montgomery's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is 'Stephano's' response to Violet and Klaus calling him Count Olaf?
2. Describe the situation when Dr. Montgomery tells the children to go find a room in his house?
3. In chapter four what characters do the children think about in regards to Olaf's acting troupe that travel with him?
4. In chapter five what do the children think about when they try to think about what life was like for them four years earlier?
5. What do the children remember in chapter three while thinking about heir parents?
6. What stories does Uncle Monty share with the children and they share with him?
7. What does Uncle Monty tell the children he wants to discuss with them outside in chapter four?
8. Describe the scene in chapter six when the Baudelaire children are watching Zombies in the Snow.
9. How is the night described in the beginning of chapter five?
10. Describe the scene which Dr. Montgomery wishes to happen when he unveils the Incredibly Deadly Viper as he describes in it chapter three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The snake was thought of as a friend to the children and the children and the snake cried as they were separated.
1) How would the scene have been viewed differently if the creature had been something more accepted as a pet such as a puppy or a cat?
2) Why did the author chose a snake to be the only thing left to share the Baudelaire's tears?
3) What was the author's purpose in having the snake cry?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Count Olaf's character. How does it compare to his fictional character, Stephano? Is there any difference between the two other than an eyebrow, the beard and the tattoo on the ankle?
Essay Topic 3
The children see straight through Count Olaf's disguise when he arrives.
1) Why can't the adults in the story see through the disguise?
2) Why were the children unable to identify the hook handed man before Sunny bit him?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)