Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Monty say in his letter he has NOT gone to town to get?
2. What does Klaus ask Violet if they can do?
3. What does Dr. Montgomery say the Barbary Chewer will begin to do if it doesn't have something in its mouth at all times?
4. What does Sunny put in her room?
5. What does Dr. Montgomery suggest he could get for Sunny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children find when the open the door of the Reptile Room?
2. Describe the animals and things in the Reptile Room.
3. What are the children trying to convince Mr. Poe of while they are sitting with Stephano waiting on the doctor to finish his examination?
4. What happens as the doctor is leading Olaf out the door?
5. What does Bruce and the children argue over?
6. Describe the scene at the end of the book where the children are talking to each other and saying goodbye to the Incredibly Deadly Viper.
7. Describe the arrival of Stephano in chapter three and the children's realization.
8. What does Klaus discover about the Mamba du Mal in chapter nine?
9. What does Violet think about while she is standing outside Stephano's bedroom door?
10. Describe the scene which Dr. Montgomery wishes to happen when he unveils the Incredibly Deadly Viper as he describes in it chapter three?
Essay Topic 1
In what way do the Baudelaire children work together? Could they have defeated Count Olaf if they hadn't had each other? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are many different symbols seen in the story.
Discuss the use of the snake as a symbol.
Discuss the use of the eye as a symbol.
How do these two symbols compare to each other and the way in which they were used?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Poe tells them that good girls shouldn't know how to pick locks. Explain what he meant by this statement.
Mr. Poe says that a grown man doesn't get involved in car chases and that it is a job for the police. What does this reveal to the reader about Mr. Poe's personality?
This section contains 1,776 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)