|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Alaskan Cow Lizard produce?
2. What does Stephano offer to carry?
3. What is the Reptile Room made out of?
4. What does Dr. Montgomery tell the children he has just finished making?
5. What does Dr. Montgomery say is the reason he never found a wife and started a family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lousy Lane that the children drive down to their new home in chapter one?
2. What does Mr. Poe tell the children in chapter one as they are walking up to the door?
3. What are Violet and Klaus doing while they are riding in the car to their new home?
4. What are the children thinking when Mr. Poe rings the bell at Dr. Montgomery's house?
5. Describe the first sight of Dr. Montgomery's house that the children get in chapter one?
6. What stories does Uncle Monty share with the children and they share with him?
7. In chapter five what do the children think about when they try to think about what life was like for them four years earlier?
8. What does Dr. Montgomery call the children and what is the explanation he gives for being so excited?
9. Describe the scene in chapter six when the Baudelaire children are watching Zombies in the Snow.
10. How is the night described in the beginning of chapter five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The children see straight through Count Olaf's disguise when he arrives.
1) Why can't the adults in the story see through the disguise?
2) Why were the children unable to identify the hook handed man before Sunny bit him?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator tells the reader before hand that Uncle Monty dies.
1) Is this true foreshadowing or has the narrator given away a key piece in the story? Explain.
2) What other way could the reader have realized that Uncle Monty was destined to die if the narrator hadn't exposed it?
Essay Topic 3
There are many different symbols seen in the story.
Discuss the use of the snake as a symbol.
Discuss the use of the eye as a symbol.
How do these two symbols compare to each other and the way in which they were used?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)