|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet see 'Stephano' holding while she is getting ready to tell Uncle Monty that Stephano is really Count Olaf?
2. What do the Baudelaire children still have nightmares about?
3. What does Mr. Poe tell the children is odd about Dr. Montgomery's name?
4. Where does Dr. Montgomery say the children and he will be going in just ten days?
5. What happens while the children sit in Violet's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter one how is the life of the Baudelaire children summarized up to the point where they are driving to their new home with the unknown relative?
2. What does Dr. Montgomery call the children and what is the explanation he gives for being so excited?
3. What is 'Stephano's' response to Violet and Klaus calling him Count Olaf?
4. Describe the situation when Dr. Montgomery tells the children to go find a room in his house?
5. What are Violet and Klaus doing while they are riding in the car to their new home?
6. Describe the different deadly snakes that Dr. Montgomery explains to the children he has and what they can do as described in chapter three.
7. What does Count Olaf tell the children that convinces them to start calling him Stephano?
8. Describe the scene in chapter six when the Baudelaire children are watching Zombies in the Snow.
9. What does the narrator explain in chapter four will be another regret that the Baudelaire children will have when Uncle Monty gets home from picking up supplies?
10. What are the children doing in chapter five when they go up to their bed rooms after dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Baudelaire children and Olaf are the main focus of the story there are other characters involved.
Look at Mr. Poe and Uncle Monty. Describe Mr. Poe's personality. Describe Uncle Monty's personality.
Which one of these characters is a more accurate description of Count Olaf's opposite? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The three Baudelaire children aren't shown fighting with each other as normal children often do.
1) Does this make the Baudelaire children less believable? Why.
2) Describe how each of the children differ from each other as normal siblings do. Are there any traits that they do share? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Luck to Planing and Preparation.
1) There are a few good things that happen to the Baudelaire children. Are those things more likely luck or preparation and planning?
2) Is it more important to be lucky or prepared?
3) In what way could the Baudelaire children have prepared themselves more?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)