|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of factory does the Grim River circle?
2. What does Uncle Monty tell the children they can do that will make handling the snakes safe?
3. What does Uncle Monty tell Klaus when he insists he needs to tell him something important?
4. What does Dr. Montgomery tell the children to do before he shows them the reptile room?
5. What do the Baudelaire children find in the Reptile Room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how life goes for the Baudelaire children for a week or so in chapter three?
2. What are Violet and Klaus doing while they are riding in the car to their new home?
3. What does Uncle Monty tell the children he wants to discuss with them outside in chapter four?
4. Describe the scene in chapter two when Mr. Poe asks Dr. Montgomery who will be looking after the children?
5. What is 'Stephano's' response to Violet and Klaus calling him Count Olaf?
6. In chapter five what do the children think about when they try to think about what life was like for them four years earlier?
7. What do the children remember in chapter three while thinking about heir parents?
8. Describe the scene which Dr. Montgomery wishes to happen when he unveils the Incredibly Deadly Viper as he describes in it chapter three?
9. Describe the first sight of Dr. Montgomery's house that the children get in chapter one?
10. In chapter six what does the narrator tell the reader that they can do with the book instead of finishing it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different symbols seen in the story.
Discuss the use of the snake as a symbol.
Discuss the use of the eye as a symbol.
How do these two symbols compare to each other and the way in which they were used?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Bruce play in the story? What does the children's response to Bruce's accusation that Dr. Montgomery was a moron say?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Poe tells them that good girls shouldn't know how to pick locks. Explain what he meant by this statement.
Mr. Poe says that a grown man doesn't get involved in car chases and that it is a job for the police. What does this reveal to the reader about Mr. Poe's personality?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)