|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Klaus suggest they do in order to get away from Count Olaf?
2. What kind of fruit do the trees near Lousy Lane produce?
3. What sort of factory does the Grim River circle?
4. What does Stephano offer to carry?
5. What is unique about the room that Klaus chooses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Count Olaf say in chapter four that makes Violet pick up his suit case and carry it in the house?
2. What does the narrator explain that Klaus will regret later on in his life?
3. In chapter four what characters do the children think about in regards to Olaf's acting troupe that travel with him?
4. What tasks does Dr. Montgomery say must be done before they leave for Peru?
5. What stories does Uncle Monty share with the children and they share with him?
6. What do the children discuss in Violet's room in chapter six after they are done at the movies?
7. What is 'Stephano's' response to Violet and Klaus calling him Count Olaf?
8. What do the children find when the open the door of the Reptile Room?
9. What does the narrator explain in chapter four will be another regret that the Baudelaire children will have when Uncle Monty gets home from picking up supplies?
10. In chapter five what do the children think about when they try to think about what life was like for them four years earlier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The three Baudelaire children aren't shown fighting with each other as normal children often do.
1) Does this make the Baudelaire children less believable? Why.
2) Describe how each of the children differ from each other as normal siblings do. Are there any traits that they do share? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe fear and the role it plays in the story. Is it possible that fear kept the children from unmasking Count Olaf earlier? Was Count Olaf ever shown to be afraid in the story? Explain your answer
Essay Topic 3
Describe Count Olaf's character. How does it compare to his fictional character, Stephano? Is there any difference between the two other than an eyebrow, the beard and the tattoo on the ankle?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)