|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where dose Uncle Monty tell the children he found Stephano?
2. What happens while the children sit in Violet's room?
3. What kind of fruit do the trees near Lousy Lane produce?
4. Why does Uncle Monty get to name the Incredibly Deadly Viper?
5. Who does Dr. Montgomery ask if he/she does not like coconut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tasks does Dr. Montgomery say must be done before they leave for Peru?
2. What does Count Olaf say in chapter four that makes Violet pick up his suit case and carry it in the house?
3. In chapter one how is the life of the Baudelaire children summarized up to the point where they are driving to their new home with the unknown relative?
4. What do the children discuss in Violet's room in chapter six after they are done at the movies?
5. What stories does Uncle Monty share with the children and they share with him?
6. What are the children doing in chapter five when they go up to their bed rooms after dinner?
7. What is 'Stephano's' response to Violet and Klaus calling him Count Olaf?
8. Describe the first sight of Dr. Montgomery's house that the children get in chapter one?
9. Describe the scene which Dr. Montgomery wishes to happen when he unveils the Incredibly Deadly Viper as he describes in it chapter three?
10. What does Count Olaf tell the children that convinces them to start calling him Stephano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the characters in the story are loyal to something. Define loyalty. Look at each character and explain what they are loyal to and how it is shown in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Count Olaf seems to have thought of everything and is even able to pass one of his accomplices off as the doctor.
In what way was it obvious that this was one of his accomplices?
In what way was Count Olaf's planning thorough? In what way did he seem to have not thought things through?
Is it possible that Count Olaf lucked into much of the information and situation that he found himself in?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Count Olaf's character. How does it compare to his fictional character, Stephano? Is there any difference between the two other than an eyebrow, the beard and the tattoo on the ankle?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)