|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephano do during the entire dinner meal?
2. Who is driving the car taking the children to their new home?
3. Where dose Uncle Monty tell the children he found Stephano?
4. What does Violet explain Sunny likes?
5. What do the children see handing from the ceiling when they first see inside the house of Dr. Montgomery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Montgomery call the children and what is the explanation he gives for being so excited?
2. How is the night described in the beginning of chapter five?
3. Describe the arrival of Stephano in chapter three and the children's realization.
4. What does the narrator explain that Klaus will regret later on in his life?
5. Describe the scene in chapter two when Mr. Poe asks Dr. Montgomery who will be looking after the children?
6. Describe the first sight of Dr. Montgomery's house that the children get in chapter one?
7. What does Count Olaf tell the children that convinces them to start calling him Stephano?
8. In chapter one how is the life of the Baudelaire children summarized up to the point where they are driving to their new home with the unknown relative?
9. Describe how life goes for the Baudelaire children for a week or so in chapter three?
10. Describe the different deadly snakes that Dr. Montgomery explains to the children he has and what they can do as described in chapter three.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different symbols seen in the story.
Discuss the use of the snake as a symbol.
Discuss the use of the eye as a symbol.
How do these two symbols compare to each other and the way in which they were used?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Count Olaf's character. How does it compare to his fictional character, Stephano? Is there any difference between the two other than an eyebrow, the beard and the tattoo on the ankle?
Essay Topic 3
All the characters in the story are loyal to something. Define loyalty. Look at each character and explain what they are loyal to and how it is shown in the story.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)