|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who opens Violet's bedroom door?
2. How does Dr. Montgomery introduce himself?
3. What does Violet see 'Stephano' holding while she is getting ready to tell Uncle Monty that Stephano is really Count Olaf?
4. Where does Klaus suggest Violet could get a job?
5. What does Uncle Monty do with Stephano's ticket to Peru?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in chapter two when Mr. Poe asks Dr. Montgomery who will be looking after the children?
2. What does the narrator explain that Klaus will regret later on in his life?
3. In chapter six what does the narrator tell the reader that they can do with the book instead of finishing it?
4. Explain Mr. Poe and the children's conversation when they tell Mr. Poe goodbye and walk him to the car in chapter two.
5. Describe the first sight of Dr. Montgomery's house that the children get in chapter one?
6. Describe the scene in chapter six when the Baudelaire children are watching Zombies in the Snow.
7. What does the narrator explain in chapter four will be another regret that the Baudelaire children will have when Uncle Monty gets home from picking up supplies?
8. Describe the scene which Dr. Montgomery wishes to happen when he unveils the Incredibly Deadly Viper as he describes in it chapter three?
9. In chapter five what do the children think about when they try to think about what life was like for them four years earlier?
10. Describe Lousy Lane that the children drive down to their new home in chapter one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do the adults take on in the story? In what ways is it a typical role? In what way is it atypical?
In what ways are the Baudelaire children's role typical? Not typical?
Essay Topic 2
There are many different symbols seen in the story.
Discuss the use of the snake as a symbol.
Discuss the use of the eye as a symbol.
How do these two symbols compare to each other and the way in which they were used?
Essay Topic 3
The three Baudelaire children aren't shown fighting with each other as normal children often do.
1) Does this make the Baudelaire children less believable? Why.
2) Describe how each of the children differ from each other as normal siblings do. Are there any traits that they do share? Explain.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)