|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephano do during the entire dinner meal?
2. How does Dr. Montgomery introduce himself?
3. What does Dr. Montgomery say is the reason he never found a wife and started a family?
4. Dissonant Toad is known for imitating what?
5. What do the children see handing from the ceiling when they first see inside the house of Dr. Montgomery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the children thinking when Mr. Poe rings the bell at Dr. Montgomery's house?
2. Describe the scene in chapter two when Mr. Poe asks Dr. Montgomery who will be looking after the children?
3. Describe the arrival of Stephano in chapter three and the children's realization.
4. What does Count Olaf tell the children that convinces them to start calling him Stephano?
5. What are Violet and Klaus doing while they are riding in the car to their new home?
6. What does Mr. Poe tell the children in chapter one as they are walking up to the door?
7. In chapter six what does the narrator tell the reader that they can do with the book instead of finishing it?
8. What tasks does Dr. Montgomery say must be done before they leave for Peru?
9. In chapter five what do the children think about when they try to think about what life was like for them four years earlier?
10. Describe the different deadly snakes that Dr. Montgomery explains to the children he has and what they can do as described in chapter three.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the Baudelaire children and Olaf are the main focus of the story there are other characters involved.
Look at Mr. Poe and Uncle Monty. Describe Mr. Poe's personality. Describe Uncle Monty's personality.
Which one of these characters is a more accurate description of Count Olaf's opposite? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The three Baudelaire children aren't shown fighting with each other as normal children often do.
1) Does this make the Baudelaire children less believable? Why.
2) Describe how each of the children differ from each other as normal siblings do. Are there any traits that they do share? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Count Olaf's character. How does it compare to his fictional character, Stephano? Is there any difference between the two other than an eyebrow, the beard and the tattoo on the ankle?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)