Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Monty say in his letter he has NOT gone to town to get?
2. What does Klaus ask Violet if they can do?
3. What does Dr. Montgomery say the Barbary Chewer will begin to do if it doesn't have something in its mouth at all times?
4. What does Sunny put in her room?
5. What does Dr. Montgomery suggest he could get for Sunny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children find when the open the door of the Reptile Room?
2. Describe the animals and things in the Reptile Room.
3. What are the children trying to convince Mr. Poe of while they are sitting with Stephano waiting on the doctor to finish his examination?
4. What happens as the doctor is leading Olaf out the door?
5. What does Bruce and the children argue over?
6. Describe the scene at the end of the book where the children are talking to each other and saying goodbye to the Incredibly Deadly Viper.
7. Describe the arrival of Stephano in chapter three and the children's realization.
8. What does Klaus discover about the Mamba du Mal in chapter nine?
9. What does Violet think about while she is standing outside Stephano's bedroom door?
10. Describe the scene which Dr. Montgomery wishes to happen when he unveils the Incredibly Deadly Viper as he describes in it chapter three?
Describe fear and the role it plays in the story. Is it possible that fear kept the children from unmasking Count Olaf earlier? Was Count Olaf ever shown to be afraid in the story? Explain your answer
The snake was thought of as a friend to the children and the children and the snake cried as they were separated.
1) How would the scene have been viewed differently if the creature had been something more accepted as a pet such as a puppy or a cat?
2) Why did the author chose a snake to be the only thing left to share the Baudelaire's tears?
3) What was the author's purpose in having the snake cry?
Although the Baudelaire children and Olaf are the main focus of the story there are other characters involved.
Look at Mr. Poe and Uncle Monty. Describe Mr. Poe's personality. Describe Uncle Monty's personality.
Which one of these characters is a more accurate description of Count Olaf's opposite? Explain.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)