Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Monty say in his letter he has NOT gone to town to get?
2. What does Klaus ask Violet if they can do?
3. What does Dr. Montgomery say the Barbary Chewer will begin to do if it doesn't have something in its mouth at all times?
4. What does Sunny put in her room?
5. What does Dr. Montgomery suggest he could get for Sunny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children find when the open the door of the Reptile Room?
2. Describe the animals and things in the Reptile Room.
3. What are the children trying to convince Mr. Poe of while they are sitting with Stephano waiting on the doctor to finish his examination?
4. What happens as the doctor is leading Olaf out the door?
5. What does Bruce and the children argue over?
6. Describe the scene at the end of the book where the children are talking to each other and saying goodbye to the Incredibly Deadly Viper.
7. Describe the arrival of Stephano in chapter three and the children's realization.
8. What does Klaus discover about the Mamba du Mal in chapter nine?
9. What does Violet think about while she is standing outside Stephano's bedroom door?
10. Describe the scene which Dr. Montgomery wishes to happen when he unveils the Incredibly Deadly Viper as he describes in it chapter three?
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Poe tells them that good girls shouldn't know how to pick locks. Explain what he meant by this statement.
Mr. Poe says that a grown man doesn't get involved in car chases and that it is a job for the police. What does this reveal to the reader about Mr. Poe's personality?
Essay Topic 2
At the very end of the story the children compliment each other on the things that they were able to accomplish that eventually unmasked Count Olaf.
1) Was it necessary for the children to tell each other how well each of them did at this point?
2) Would it have been the same if they had said it before they went to sleep?
3) What purpose does an honest compliment serve to a person in a general sense? How does that compare to the compliment the children gave each other?
Essay Topic 3
Count Olaf is the bad guy in the story.
1) In what ways is he a 'Criminal Mastermind' if any.
2) Is he smarter than the children?
3) Look at Count Olaf's personality. What are his strengths? What are his weaknesses?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)