|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Baudelaire children still have nightmares about?
2. What does Violet say they are old enough to do?
3. What does Uncle Monty want to show Violet he has bought before she tells him her important information?
4. What happens while the children sit in Violet's room?
5. Why does Stephano only carry bags with one hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Montgomery call the children and what is the explanation he gives for being so excited?
2. What do the children remember in chapter three while thinking about heir parents?
3. What are Violet and Klaus doing while they are riding in the car to their new home?
4. Describe the situation when Dr. Montgomery tells the children to go find a room in his house?
5. What does Count Olaf tell the children that convinces them to start calling him Stephano?
6. What does the narrator explain that Klaus will regret later on in his life?
7. Describe the animals and things in the Reptile Room.
8. Describe the first sight of Dr. Montgomery's house that the children get in chapter one?
9. Explain Mr. Poe and the children's conversation when they tell Mr. Poe goodbye and walk him to the car in chapter two.
10. What are the children doing in chapter five when they go up to their bed rooms after dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Luck to Planing and Preparation.
1) There are a few good things that happen to the Baudelaire children. Are those things more likely luck or preparation and planning?
2) Is it more important to be lucky or prepared?
3) In what way could the Baudelaire children have prepared themselves more?
Essay Topic 2
At the very end of the story the children compliment each other on the things that they were able to accomplish that eventually unmasked Count Olaf.
1) Was it necessary for the children to tell each other how well each of them did at this point?
2) Would it have been the same if they had said it before they went to sleep?
3) What purpose does an honest compliment serve to a person in a general sense? How does that compare to the compliment the children gave each other?
Essay Topic 3
The children see straight through Count Olaf's disguise when he arrives.
1) Why can't the adults in the story see through the disguise?
2) Why were the children unable to identify the hook handed man before Sunny bit him?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)