|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the shrubs been cut to look like?
2. What sort of factory does the Grim River circle?
3. Who does Mr. Poe tell the children they are going to go live with?
4. What does Count Olaf ask the children to do for him?
5. What excuse does the narrator give for leaving the reader waiting for an answer about Sunny being bitten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Count Olaf tell the children that convinces them to start calling him Stephano?
2. How is the night described in the beginning of chapter five?
3. In chapter four what characters do the children think about in regards to Olaf's acting troupe that travel with him?
4. What do the children remember in chapter three while thinking about heir parents?
5. What does Mr. Poe tell the children in chapter one as they are walking up to the door?
6. Describe the arrival of Stephano in chapter three and the children's realization.
7. What tasks does Dr. Montgomery say must be done before they leave for Peru?
8. What are the children doing in chapter five when they go up to their bed rooms after dinner?
9. What are Violet and Klaus doing while they are riding in the car to their new home?
10. Describe the first sight of Dr. Montgomery's house that the children get in chapter one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe fear and the role it plays in the story. Is it possible that fear kept the children from unmasking Count Olaf earlier? Was Count Olaf ever shown to be afraid in the story? Explain your answer
Essay Topic 2
The series is call A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS. What events in the story could be called fortunate rather than unfortunate? Why do the unfortunate events seem to overshadow the others?
Essay Topic 3
The children see straight through Count Olaf's disguise when he arrives.
1) Why can't the adults in the story see through the disguise?
2) Why were the children unable to identify the hook handed man before Sunny bit him?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)