|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the continuous arms race that occurs between organisms?
(a) Once an advantage is gained, the loser will adapt to negate the advantage.
(b) People will try to kill one another so that their genes may carry on.
(c) No one can catch up.
(d) World War II.
2. What is the bdelloid rotifer?
(a) A type of animal that produces asexually.
(b) A microscopic animal that can live in any kind of water.
(c) A genetically engineered organism.
(d) An organism that lacks certain genes.
3. What is the tangled bank theory?
(a) Sexual reproduction is the riskiest way for humans to reproduce.
(b) Sexual reproduction allows for a smaller number of very exceptional offspring.
(c) Different organisms in an environment saturated with similar organisms have a greater likelihood of survival.
(d) It is more advantageous for humans to asexually produce.
4. In 1970, __________ argued that the individual is merely a container for genes.
(a) Jean-Baptiste Lamarck.
(b) Richard Dawkins.
(c) Charles Darwin.
(d) Russel Wallace.
5. Organisms that reproduce sexually will pass immunity or defenses down to whom?
(a) No one.
(b) Their descendants.
(c) Their friends.
(d) Their spouses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who created the tangled bank theory?
2. Pre- Darwinian thinkers such as _____________ believed that evolution was a process of individual adaptations that were later passed down to ancestors.
3. Sexual reproduction benefits _____________.
4. What is the chief competitor to the tangled bank theory and lottery theory?
5. Who has solutions concerning genetics?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)