|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writer does Camus say the French Revolution "gave birth" to?
2. According to Part 3, what is rebellion's demand?
3. According to Part 3, Russian Communism openly aspires to what?
4. According to Camus in Part 5, what preaches a sermon on charity?
5. According to revolutionary interpreters of Hegel, what will no longer exist in reconciled society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camus comes from the existentialist school of philosophy. Write a response exploring how Camus' existentialist beliefs impact his essay. What is existentialism? How does existentialism interpret rebellion? How does Camus interweave his own philosophy with those presented in his essay? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
For Camus, nihilism plays a major role in rebellion and revolution. Write a response addressing nihilism and its role in rebellion and revolution according to Camus' essay. What is nihilism? Why is nihilism important to rebellion and revolution? What are the core tenets of nihilism? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Karl Marx and Marxism play an important role in Camus' exploration of rebellion. Write a response exploring Marxism and Marx's philosophy. What is Marxism? How does Marx develop his philosophy? How is Marxism connected to rebellion? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)