|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camus say is the homage the "malignant recluse finally pays to the brotherhood of man" in Part 3?
2. Hitler invented the perpetual motion of what, according to Part 3?
3. A man's rebellion is refusal to be treated as what, according to Part 3?
4. What does Marx believe people have a nostalgia for, according to Part 4?
5. In Part 5, murder is what or it is nothing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camus identifies the purpose of his essay in the Introduction. What is the purpose of Camus' essay? How does he hope to achieve this purpose? By the end of the essay, is he successful or not in achieving his purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Camus discusses the stories and myths of the ancient Greeks, particularly the story of Prometheus. Write a response explaining the relevance of Prometheus' story. How does this story connect to rebellion and revolution? Why does Camus think the story is important? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Karl Marx and Marxism play an important role in Camus' exploration of rebellion. Write a response exploring Marxism and Marx's philosophy. What is Marxism? How does Marx develop his philosophy? How is Marxism connected to rebellion? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)