|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Part 3, nihilists believed in nothing but what?
2. In the introduction, what is it always possible to do?
3. What did Nietzsche diagnose in himself?
4. According to Camus, we are living in an era of what and perfect crime?
5. According to Nietzsche in Part 2, freedom of the mind is not a comfort but a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Camus identify in Part 3 as the conclusions of individualism in revolt?
2. According to Camus in Part 3, what have all modern revolutions ended in?
3. Why is rebellion forced to become revolutionary in the twentieth century?
4. According to Camus in Part 5, every rebel does what?
5. According to Camus in Part 4, what is artistic creation?
6. What does Camus say is the reason why Hitler and his regime could not do away with their enemies?
7. According to Camus in Part 5, what is the positive value in the initial rebellion movement?
8. What does every act of rebellion express, according to Camus in Part 3's Introduction?
9. According to Camus in Part Three, how did the nihilists give their successors a model?
10. Why are the crimes of the Hitler regime without precedent in history, according to Camus in Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camus focuses on the role the Romantic Movement rebels play in the development of rebellion. Write a response exploring Romanticism and its role in rebellion. What is Romanticism? How does it become rebellion? How does Camus view Romanticism? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Camus discusses the stories and myths of the ancient Greeks, particularly the story of Prometheus. Write a response explaining the relevance of Prometheus' story. How does this story connect to rebellion and revolution? Why does Camus think the story is important? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
For Camus, nihilism plays a major role in rebellion and revolution. Write a response addressing nihilism and its role in rebellion and revolution according to Camus' essay. What is nihilism? Why is nihilism important to rebellion and revolution? What are the core tenets of nihilism? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)