|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hezen in Part 3, "The annihilation of the past is the protection of" what?
2. According to the introduction, what is the only creature that refuses to be what it is?
3. What is the only evidence given to Camus within the terms of the absurdist experience?
4. According to Camus' introduction, one purpose is to find out if what can avoid committing murder?
5. What becomes prophetic with Nietzsche in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Camus in Part 4, what is artistic creation?
2. According to Camus in Part 5, what does the revolution of the twentieth century believe?
3. According to Camus in Part 3, how does every form of contempt establish Fascism?
4. Why does Camus say the Fascist revolutions of the twentieth century do not deserve the title of a revolution?
5. Why did Nietzsche see himself as the first complete nihilist of Europe?
6. What does Camus say in Part 5 is the consequence of rebellion?
7. According to Camus' Introduction, with what is ideology today concerned?
8. What does Stirner believe is the only form of freedom and only truth?
9. In Part 5, Camus says rebels want what to be recognized?
10. According to Camus in Part 3, what coincides with the acceptance of iniquity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camus spends a great deal of time discussing metaphysical rebellion. Write a response exploring this type of rebellion. What does Camus mean by metaphysical rebellion? What is metaphysical rebellion? How does metaphysical rebellion turn into revolution? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Camus comes from the existentialist school of philosophy. Write a response exploring how Camus' existentialist beliefs impact his essay. What is existentialism? How does existentialism interpret rebellion? How does Camus interweave his own philosophy with those presented in his essay? Use specific references to the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Karl Marx and Marxism play an important role in Camus' exploration of rebellion. Write a response exploring Marxism and Marx's philosophy. What is Marxism? How does Marx develop his philosophy? How is Marxism connected to rebellion? Use specific references to the text in the response.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)