|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Camus in Part 3, what did Germany submit to when deprived of Goethe's morality?
(a) Politics of the rebels.
(b) Money from the gang.
(c) Ethics of the gang.
(d) Religion of the gang.
2. What does Camus say people must stake everything on in Part 3?
(a) The religion.
(b) The renaissance.
(c) The history.
(d) The book.
3. What does Camus think the methods of thought that claim to lead the world into revolution have become in Part 3?
(a) Ideologies of politics.
(b) Ideologies of rebellion.
(c) Ideologies of consent.
(d) Ideologies of hatred.
4. The power to kill and degrade saves the soul from what in Part 3?
(a) Utter elation.
(b) Utter happiness.
(c) Utter emptiness.
(d) Utter saddness,
5. In Part 5, Camus states that the extreme of nihilism is when blind and savage murder becomes what?
(b) An oasis.
6. According to Part 4, what is one of the sources of the art of fiction?
7. What does Camus say people become intimates of at the "climax of contemporary tragedy"?
8. In Part 4, Rousseau denounced a corruption of what in art by society?
9. What type of temple does Camus say nihilism builds in Part 3?
10. Camus says in Part 5 that the blood of murder in ancient times produced what?
(a) Absolute reality.
(b) Religious horror.
(c) Moral conduct.
(d) Artistic rebellion.
11. In Part 5, what does Camus say precedes death on the stage and in reality?
(a) A monologue.
12. In Part 3, Camus says rebellion and revolution end in the same dilemma of what two things?
(a) Morality or immortality.
(b) Mortality or immortality.
(c) Police rule or insanity.
(d) Government rule or insanity.
13. In Part 3, people who despair about everything can only be provided with faith by what?
14. In Part 3, what alone kept Hitler alive?
15. What era followed the metaphysical and theological eras?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Camus in Part 3, Hitler's god was what?
2. According to Part 4, art realizes the reconciliation of the what with the universal?
3. What does Marx believe people have a nostalgia for, according to Part 4?
4. Camus says in Part 3 that every revolutionary ends by becoming one of what two things?
5. In Part 5, nihilism rejects the idea of what?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)