|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Part 3, prophecy functions on what type of basis?
2. What is "more useful than Shakespeare" to Pisarev, according to Part 4?
(a) A shirt.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A hat.
(d) A pair of pants.
3. A man's rebellion is refusal to be treated as what, according to Part 3?
(a) A leader.
(b) A politician.
(c) A heretic.
(d) An object.
4. According to revolutionary interpreters of Hegel, what will no longer exist in reconciled society?
5. In what writing does Camus think the "real greatness of Proust lies"?
(a) Remembrance of Things Past.
(b) Communist Manifesto.
(c) Time Regained.
(d) The Stranger.
6. According to Camus in Part 4, the world of Proust is nothing but what?
7. According to Camus in Part 5, the climax of every tragedy lies in the what of its heroes?
8. In Part 5, nihilism rejects the idea of what?
(d) Any limit.
9. The desire for what is another form of the desire to endure, according to Part 4?
10. According to Camus in Part 5, rebellion has become the excuse for a new variety of what?
11. Camus says in Part 3 that every revolutionary ends by becoming one of what two things?
(a) Murderer or saint.
(b) Leader or follower.
(c) Oppressor or heretic.
(d) Politician or writer.
12. According to Camus in Part 3, Hitler's god was what?
(a) A religious figure.
(b) A political argument.
(c) A non-believer.
(d) A nihilist.
13. The power to kill and degrade saves the soul from what in Part 3?
(a) Utter emptiness.
(b) Utter happiness.
(c) Utter saddness,
(d) Utter elation.
14. According to Camus in Part 5, what preaches a sermon on charity?
15. What type of temple does Camus say nihilism builds in Part 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What era followed the metaphysical and theological eras?
2. Camus believes the longing for what "coincides with the acceptance of iniquity"?
3. According to Part 4, art realizes the reconciliation of the what with the universal?
4. According to Part 3, Russian Communism openly aspires to what?
5. What must be subdued for Christians and Marxists, according to Part 3?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)