|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Camus in Part 5, what is the only way a rebel can reconcile himself with committing murder?
(a) Going to court.
(b) Accepting his own death.
(c) Murdering again.
(d) Writing an apology.
2. According to Camus in Part 4, what does the American novel reject?
3. Camus says in Part 5 that the blood of murder in ancient times produced what?
(a) Absolute reality.
(b) Religious horror.
(c) Moral conduct.
(d) Artistic rebellion.
4. According to Camus in Part 3, Hitler's god was what?
(a) A political argument.
(b) A non-believer.
(c) A nihilist.
(d) A religious figure.
5. According to Part 3, Russian Communism openly aspires to what?
(b) World empire.
(d) National rule.
6. In Part 3, men of action only believe in action when they are without what?
7. In Part 5, nihilism rejects the idea of what?
(a) Any limit.
8. Camus says in Part 3 that every revolutionary ends by becoming one of what two things?
(a) Politician or writer.
(b) Leader or follower.
(c) Murderer or saint.
(d) Oppressor or heretic.
9. What does Camus say people become intimates of at the "climax of contemporary tragedy"?
10. According to Part 4, art realizes the reconciliation of the what with the universal?
11. According to Camus in Part 4, the world of Proust is nothing but what?
12. If rebellion is cut off from its origins, what does is oscillate between according to Camus in Part 5?
(a) Crime and punishment.
(b) Sacrifice and murder.
(c) Suicide and murder.
(d) Right and wrong.
13. In what writing does Camus think the "real greatness of Proust lies"?
(a) Remembrance of Things Past.
(b) Communist Manifesto.
(c) The Stranger.
(d) Time Regained.
14. According to Camus in Part 5, rebellion has become the excuse for a new variety of what?
15. According to Part 3, prophecy functions on what type of basis?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, all modern revolutions end in a reinforcement of the power of what?
2. What does Marx believe people have a nostalgia for, according to Part 4?
3. In Part 3, Camus says rebellion and revolution end in the same dilemma of what two things?
4. What must be subdued for Christians and Marxists, according to Part 3?
5. According to revolutionary interpreters of Hegel, what will no longer exist in reconciled society?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)