|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When news of John Rabe's situation reaches China, the Nanking survivors raise how much money in US dollars to help him?
2. Chang states that her parents are the kind that most people only dream of, and that they are all BUT WHICH of the following?
3. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
4. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" does the People's Republic of China announce that it has forgiven Japan and invites the Japanese prime minister to visit China?
5. Japanese soldiers break into Nanking University Hospital after the massacre and steal all BUT WHICH of the following from nurses?
Essay Topic 1
The United States and other countries stepped in to put an end to Hitler's Holocaust, yet no such attempt was made to stop the atrocities in Nanking. In a well-developed essay, discuss the reasons why the world community largely stayed out of the events in Nanking, though reports of what was going on were widespread. In addition, discuss what responsibility the world has to intervene when incidents such as Nanking occur.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the process by which Japanese soldiers learned to view the Chinese as less than human. At what point did this conditioning begin, and what cultural factors enabled it to be so successful?
Essay Topic 3
From a historical perspective, discuss the reasons why Japan was able to break Nanking in four days with 90,000 Chinese soldiers present in the city. In the discussion, deal with the issues from smallest to largest impact on the fall of the city. Include supporting material from the text.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)