|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month during "The Occupation of Nanking" do the Japanese open a facility for medical experiments on Nanking residents?
2. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
3. When the initial deaths are combined with deaths that occurred later but are related, one can estimate that the Japanese killed about how many Chinese people in total?
4. After the Japanese surrender, John Rabe begins to talk openly about what he witnessed in Nanking. In response, he is arrested by all BUT WHICH of the following governments?
5. Which of the following individuals is the minister for international trade who announces that Japan never intended to invade other Asian countries during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
2. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
3. Why are the leaders of the International Safety Zone Committee particularly well-suited to tell the real story of Nanking?
4. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
5. Briefly describe the International Military Tribunal for the Far East trials.
6. Today, the Japanese government takes the position that any wartime reparation issues were dealt with in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952. Why is this position erroneous?
7. When news of the atrocities in Nanking finally begin to be published in American magazines, what is the initial public response?
8. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
9. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
10. How does the outside world get information on the events in Nanking during "What the World Knew"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most successful wars and occupations, the master-race theme is often present. Japan used the master-race mentality to justify its occupation of China, just as Nazi Germany used the master-race idea to justify its crimes against Jews, gypsies, and other political "undesirables." Why is this mindset important in Nanking? What does it accomplish? How might Japan's occupation of Nanking have been different if Japanese soldiers did NOT view themselves as more worthy than the Chinese civilians?
Essay Topic 2
Has Iris Chang presented a fair and accurate discussion of the Rape of Nanking? Analyze and discuss three instances where Chang is or is not objective about the events in Nanking, and be sure to support the essay with information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the historical vision of Nanking with the version seen after the Japanese occupation. What major changes could be noticed? How had the population changed? How had the focus of the city changed?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)