|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. George Fitch's daughter states that her father is so traumatized after the Rape of Nanking that what frequently occurs?
2. Which US President announces on December 13 that he is shocked by the attack on the USS Panay?
3. Tanaka Yuki believes that the Japanese army had great potential for brutality for two reasons. What is the first of those two reasons?
4. To what problem can most of the damage in Nanking be attributed in the, "The Occupation of Nanking" chapter?
5. Ono Kenji has co-edited a book on the Nanking massacre, the first work to be based completely on Japanese sources. During what year is the book published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Matsui Iwane's philosophy about China as discussed in the Epilogue.
2. Describe the biological warfare used by the Japanese in an attempt to exterminate Chinese civilians.
3. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
4. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
5. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
6. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
7. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
8. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
9. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
10. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the Japanese samurai code. What are the basic principles of this code? How did the code make its way into normal society from the initial applications of samurai life? In what way does the code prepare the Japanese for war?
Essay Topic 2
In most successful wars and occupations, the master-race theme is often present. Japan used the master-race mentality to justify its occupation of China, just as Nazi Germany used the master-race idea to justify its crimes against Jews, gypsies, and other political "undesirables." Why is this mindset important in Nanking? What does it accomplish? How might Japan's occupation of Nanking have been different if Japanese soldiers did NOT view themselves as more worthy than the Chinese civilians?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the Japanese propaganda to the world in general and the population of Nanking in particular during the occupation. Include supporting material from the text.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)