|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Occupation of Nanking," which country's flag is torn down six times from the University of Nanking?
2. Which of Chang's friends freely donated her time to help translate a good deal of source material?
3. "Judgment Day" states that the Investigation of War Crimes committee is created when?
4. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" do seizures and a mental collapse force Robert Wilson to leave Nanking for Santa Barbara, California?
5. What is the second factor that Tanaka Yuko cites as the reason the Japanese army had such potential for brutality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
2. Explain Matsui Iwane's philosophy about China as discussed in the Epilogue.
3. Briefly describe the International Military Tribunal for the Far East trials.
4. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
5. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
6. What event finally ends the occupation of Nanking, and when does it end?
7. What is the US response to the attack on the USS Panay?
8. Describe the biological warfare used by the Japanese in an attempt to exterminate Chinese civilians.
9. According to the Epilogue, what is one of the greatest ironies of the cold war?
10. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Japanese views on surrender and the Chinese views on it as discussed in Chapter 2. In what ways are the two cultures different in their approaches, and what cultural factors contribute to these differences?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different methods used to rescue the Chinese population of Nanking by John Rabe, Robert Wilson, and Minnie Vautrin. Be sure to use material from the text to support the essay.
Essay Topic 3
To what factors can the behavior of Chinese soldiers and officers be attributed during the abandonment of Nanking? What mentality explains the soldiers' disorganized efforts to leave the city, and their attempts to disguise themselves so as not be recognized as soldiers?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)