|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Epilogue states that some scholars explain the horrors in Nanking and other atrocities by a phenomenon known as what?
2. In "The Fate of the Survivors," Chang states that she is able to videotape oral testimony from Nanking survivors during what year?
3. Which of the following newsreel reporters are NOT on board when the USS Panay is attacked?
4. In "Judgment Day," one of the war crimes trials held is for two lieutenants: Takeshi and Toshiaki. In what chapter of this book does "Judgment Day" say their killing contest is described?
5. By spring of 1938, all BUT WHICH of the following functions have resumed in Nanking?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various responses of the Chinese women in Nanking to the widespread rapes committed by Japanese soldiers. Why did so few women fight back? Be sure to include the responses of the women who found themselves pregnant afterward, and also include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Japanese views on surrender and the Chinese views on it as discussed in Chapter 2. In what ways are the two cultures different in their approaches, and what cultural factors contribute to these differences?
Essay Topic 3
Given Matsui's absence during most of the atrocities during the first several weeks of the occupation, historians have long been puzzled by his willingness to take complete blame for the Rape of Nanking. Discuss three possible reasons for Matsui's behavior. Include historical research and supporting material from the text.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)