|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals is a cabinet secretary who claims that the rape victims were actually engaged in willful prostitution during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
2. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
3. As "What the World Knew" opens, how does the world know what's happening in Nanking?
4. Prince Mikasa Takahito wrote a confessional report about Japanese atrocities that was buried for decades. In what year does Takahito's report emerge?
5. When the initial deaths are combined with deaths that occurred later but are related, one can estimate that the Japanese killed about how many Chinese people in total?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process by which Japanese soldiers learned to view the Chinese as less than human. At what point did this conditioning begin, and what cultural factors enabled it to be so successful?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the three factors given in the Epilogue to explain Japanese behavior in Japan's attempt to conquer China. Analyze and critique each factor, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the historical vision of Nanking with the version seen after the Japanese occupation. What major changes could be noticed? How had the population changed? How had the focus of the city changed?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)