|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chang states that during her visit to Nanking, she discovers that reparations from Japan in what amount would make a huge difference for the survivors?
2. In "Judgment Day," one of the war crimes trials held is for two lieutenants: Takeshi and Toshiaki. In what chapter of this book does "Judgment Day" say their killing contest is described?
3. "Judgment Day" states that the Investigation of War Crimes committee is created when?
4. In 1941, the Japanese army launched a campaign of terror in northern China. What was the population of northern China prior to this campaign?
5. Which of Chang's friends freely donated her time to help translate a good deal of source material?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event finally ends the occupation of Nanking, and when does it end?
2. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
3. Today, the Japanese government takes the position that any wartime reparation issues were dealt with in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952. Why is this position erroneous?
4. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
5. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
6. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
7. Why is Matsui Iwane's behavior during his war crimes trial so puzzling?
8. Briefly describe the International Military Tribunal for the Far East trials.
9. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
10. How does the outside world get information on the events in Nanking during "What the World Knew"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given Matsui's absence during most of the atrocities during the first several weeks of the occupation, historians have long been puzzled by his willingness to take complete blame for the Rape of Nanking. Discuss three possible reasons for Matsui's behavior. Include historical research and supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
To what factors can the behavior of Chinese soldiers and officers be attributed during the abandonment of Nanking? What mentality explains the soldiers' disorganized efforts to leave the city, and their attempts to disguise themselves so as not be recognized as soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the three factors given in the Epilogue to explain Japanese behavior in Japan's attempt to conquer China. Analyze and critique each factor, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)