|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When news of John Rabe's situation reaches China, the Nanking survivors raise how much money in US dollars to help him?
2. Which Japanese news outlet begins to report that all is well and that Nanking's citizens are returning home in late December during the occupation?
3. Chang frequently required assistance from others because she used source material written in all BUT WHICH of the following languages?
4. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
5. Which organization pays for Chang's trips to Asia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
2. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
3. What event finally ends the occupation of Nanking, and when does it end?
4. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
5. What is the US response to the attack on the USS Panay?
6. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
7. Describe the biological warfare used by the Japanese in an attempt to exterminate Chinese civilians.
8. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
9. Today, the Japanese government takes the position that any wartime reparation issues were dealt with in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952. Why is this position erroneous?
10. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text, discuss three ways in which the International Safety Zone Committee was able to turn and shape worldwide public opinion about the events in Nanking.
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the Japanese samurai code. What are the basic principles of this code? How did the code make its way into normal society from the initial applications of samurai life? In what way does the code prepare the Japanese for war?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the three factors given in the Epilogue to explain Japanese behavior in Japan's attempt to conquer China. Analyze and critique each factor, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)