|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Fate of the Survivors," Chang states that she is able to videotape oral testimony from Nanking survivors during what year?
2. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" does the People's Republic of China announce that it has forgiven Japan and invites the Japanese prime minister to visit China?
3. Which of the following individuals is the director of the Japanese environmental agency who comments that Japan never intended to be aggressive and is forced to retract the statement in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
4. The Global Alliance for Preserving the History of World War II in Asia assisted Chang by providing all BUT WHICH of the following?
5. After the Japanese surrender, John Rabe begins to talk openly about what he witnessed in Nanking. In response, he is arrested by all BUT WHICH of the following governments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
2. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
3. According to the Epilogue, what is one of the greatest ironies of the cold war?
4. How does the outside world get information on the events in Nanking during "What the World Knew"?
5. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
6. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
7. When news of the atrocities in Nanking finally begin to be published in American magazines, what is the initial public response?
8. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
9. Why are the leaders of the International Safety Zone Committee particularly well-suited to tell the real story of Nanking?
10. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given Matsui's absence during most of the atrocities during the first several weeks of the occupation, historians have long been puzzled by his willingness to take complete blame for the Rape of Nanking. Discuss three possible reasons for Matsui's behavior. Include historical research and supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Japanese views on surrender and the Chinese views on it as discussed in Chapter 2. In what ways are the two cultures different in their approaches, and what cultural factors contribute to these differences?
Essay Topic 3
To what factors can the behavior of Chinese soldiers and officers be attributed during the abandonment of Nanking? What mentality explains the soldiers' disorganized efforts to leave the city, and their attempts to disguise themselves so as not be recognized as soldiers?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)