Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When news of John Rabe's situation reaches China, the Nanking survivors raise how much money in US dollars to help him?
2. Chang states that her parents are the kind that most people only dream of, and that they are all BUT WHICH of the following?
3. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
4. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" does the People's Republic of China announce that it has forgiven Japan and invites the Japanese prime minister to visit China?
5. Japanese soldiers break into Nanking University Hospital after the massacre and steal all BUT WHICH of the following from nurses?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various responses of the Chinese women in Nanking to the widespread rapes committed by Japanese soldiers. Why did so few women fight back? Be sure to include the responses of the women who found themselves pregnant afterward, and also include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social and economic factors that enabled Japan to begin feeling as though it were the victim of an international conspiracy in the years prior to Japan's attempt to conquer China. How are the factors interlinked? Was there something to Japan's feeling that it was being picked on by the international community, or were they looking for an excuse to be upset with the rest of the world? Was the international community being fair or unfair toward Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the decision by the Chinese government to pull out of Nanking and the subsequent actions in the suburbs of the city. What reasons might the government have had for pulling out of Nanking? What steps did the government abandonment enable the Chinese military to take that they might not otherwise have been able to take?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)