|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following newsreel reporters are NOT on board when the USS Panay is attacked?
2. After his trial, Hisao is executed in a manner that many of the Nanking survivors believe to be much more humane than anything he'd done to his victims. How is Hisao executed?
3. Chang states in "The Forgotten Holocaust" that censorship in Japan is practiced not only by the government, but also by which other entity?
4. On what date in 1937 do most reporters leave Nanking after the city falls to the Japanese?
5. After the War Crimes committee is created, trials for class B and C war criminals begin when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the US response to the attack on the USS Panay?
2. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
3. Explain Matsui Iwane's philosophy about China as discussed in the Epilogue.
4. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
5. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
6. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
7. Describe Nanking's economic situation after the massacre.
8. Briefly describe what happened to Robert Wilson after the Nanking massacre.
9. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
10. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given Matsui's absence during most of the atrocities during the first several weeks of the occupation, historians have long been puzzled by his willingness to take complete blame for the Rape of Nanking. Discuss three possible reasons for Matsui's behavior. Include historical research and supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Hirohito and his family were granted immunity for all wartime actions in exchange for Japan's surrender. In a well-developed essay, discuss whether or not this action was justified. Use supporting material from the text to analyze how much the emperor knew of the events in Nanking, and to what extent other members of the imperial family should or should not have been held accountable.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the decision by the Chinese government to pull out of Nanking and the subsequent actions in the suburbs of the city. What reasons might the government have had for pulling out of Nanking? What steps did the government abandonment enable the Chinese military to take that they might not otherwise have been able to take?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)