|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Occupation of Nanking," the Japanese use all BUT WHICH of the following tools to break open bank vaults?
2. George Fitch's daughter states that her father is so traumatized after the Rape of Nanking that what frequently occurs?
3. One of the most high-profile trials described in chapter eight is for Tani Hisao. What military position does Hisao hold during the Rape of Nanking?
4. At the end of "The Forgotten Holocaust," Azuma Shiro becomes the first Japanese veteran to apologize for his role in Nanking. During what year does this occur?
5. The Global Alliance for Preserving the History of World War II in Asia assisted Chang by providing all BUT WHICH of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
2. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
3. How does the outside world get information on the events in Nanking during "What the World Knew"?
4. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
5. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
6. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
7. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
8. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
9. Briefly describe what happened to Robert Wilson after the Nanking massacre.
10. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the historical vision of Nanking with the version seen after the Japanese occupation. What major changes could be noticed? How had the population changed? How had the focus of the city changed?
Essay Topic 2
Has Iris Chang presented a fair and accurate discussion of the Rape of Nanking? Analyze and discuss three instances where Chang is or is not objective about the events in Nanking, and be sure to support the essay with information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social and economic factors that enabled Japan to begin feeling as though it were the victim of an international conspiracy in the years prior to Japan's attempt to conquer China. How are the factors interlinked? Was there something to Japan's feeling that it was being picked on by the international community, or were they looking for an excuse to be upset with the rest of the world? Was the international community being fair or unfair toward Japan?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)