|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals holds several government positions and is forced to resign after stating that Japan was not an aggressor during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
2. Chang's parents provided all BUT WHICH of the following assistance during the writing of this book?
3. Which US President announces on December 13 that he is shocked by the attack on the USS Panay?
4. "Judgment Day" states that some of the worst atrocities in Nanking are committed by which man, who dies shortly after Japan's surrender?
5. How does the American public initially respond when the article entitled "The Sack of Nanking" is published in magazines in the US?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event finally ends the occupation of Nanking, and when does it end?
2. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
3. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
4. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
5. When news of the atrocities in Nanking finally begin to be published in American magazines, what is the initial public response?
6. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
7. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
8. Explain Matsui Iwane's philosophy about China as discussed in the Epilogue.
9. Describe Nanking's economic situation after the massacre.
10. Today, the Japanese government takes the position that any wartime reparation issues were dealt with in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952. Why is this position erroneous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the different methods used to rescue the Chinese population of Nanking by John Rabe, Robert Wilson, and Minnie Vautrin. Be sure to use material from the text to support the essay.
Essay Topic 2
To what factors can the behavior of Chinese soldiers and officers be attributed during the abandonment of Nanking? What mentality explains the soldiers' disorganized efforts to leave the city, and their attempts to disguise themselves so as not be recognized as soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the three factors given in the Epilogue to explain Japanese behavior in Japan's attempt to conquer China. Analyze and critique each factor, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)