|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year does Ishihara Shintaro give an interview stating that there was no massacre in Nanking?
2. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
3. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
4. In "The Fate of the Survivors," Chang states that she is able to videotape oral testimony from Nanking survivors during what year?
5. When news of John Rabe's situation reaches China, the Nanking survivors raise how much money in US dollars to help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the Japanese samurai code. What are the basic principles of this code? How did the code make its way into normal society from the initial applications of samurai life? In what way does the code prepare the Japanese for war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the process by which Japanese soldiers learned to view the Chinese as less than human. At what point did this conditioning begin, and what cultural factors enabled it to be so successful?
Essay Topic 3
Emperor Hirohito and his family were granted immunity for all wartime actions in exchange for Japan's surrender. In a well-developed essay, discuss whether or not this action was justified. Use supporting material from the text to analyze how much the emperor knew of the events in Nanking, and to what extent other members of the imperial family should or should not have been held accountable.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)