|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chang states in "The Forgotten Holocaust" that censorship in Japan is practiced not only by the government, but also by which other entity?
2. After Nanking, what event is pivotal in the change of relations between the United States and Japan?
3. Segments of the diary writer's film in "What the World Knew" are eventually included in a documentary entitled "Why We Fight: Battle of China" by which director?
4. Which of the following women loans Chang materials from a documentary she filmed?
5. Who is the final person Chang thanks in the Acknowledgments?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the outside world get information on the events in Nanking during "What the World Knew"?
2. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
3. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
4. Describe Nanking's economic situation after the massacre.
5. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
6. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
7. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
8. Why are the leaders of the International Safety Zone Committee particularly well-suited to tell the real story of Nanking?
9. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
10. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the three factors given in the Epilogue to explain Japanese behavior in Japan's attempt to conquer China. Analyze and critique each factor, and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the Japanese propaganda to the world in general and the population of Nanking in particular during the occupation. Include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the process by which Japanese soldiers learned to view the Chinese as less than human. At what point did this conditioning begin, and what cultural factors enabled it to be so successful?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)