|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Chang's friends freely donated her time to help translate a good deal of source material?
2. By spring of 1938, all BUT WHICH of the following functions have resumed in Nanking?
3. The Epilogue states that Japanese aviators sprayed fleas carrying plague germs over all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
4. As "What the World Knew" opens, how does the world know what's happening in Nanking?
5. According to Chang in "The Forgotten Holocaust," what is one of the most sinister parts of Japanese education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Today, the Japanese government takes the position that any wartime reparation issues were dealt with in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952. Why is this position erroneous?
2. What is the US response to the attack on the USS Panay?
3. What event finally ends the occupation of Nanking, and when does it end?
4. How does the outside world get information on the events in Nanking during "What the World Knew"?
5. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
6. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
7. Why is Matsui Iwane's behavior during his war crimes trial so puzzling?
8. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
9. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
10. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the Japanese samurai code. What are the basic principles of this code? How did the code make its way into normal society from the initial applications of samurai life? In what way does the code prepare the Japanese for war?
Essay Topic 2
From a historical perspective, discuss the reasons why Japan was able to break Nanking in four days with 90,000 Chinese soldiers present in the city. In the discussion, deal with the issues from smallest to largest impact on the fall of the city. Include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 3
To what factors can the behavior of Chinese soldiers and officers be attributed during the abandonment of Nanking? What mentality explains the soldiers' disorganized efforts to leave the city, and their attempts to disguise themselves so as not be recognized as soldiers?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)