|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the final person Chang thanks in the Acknowledgments?
2. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
3. According to the Epilogue, millions of victims died after the war was over from starvation and disease caused by all BUT WHICH of the following Japanese actions?
4. To what problem can most of the damage in Nanking be attributed in the, "The Occupation of Nanking" chapter?
5. In 1946, the International Military Tribunal for the Far East (IMTFE) begins trials in Tokyo. How long do those trials last?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
2. Describe the biological warfare used by the Japanese in an attempt to exterminate Chinese civilians.
3. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
4. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
5. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
6. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
7. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
8. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
9. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
10. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the ways in which the events in Nanking differ from a "normal" wartime occupation. How was the focus different in Nanking? In what ways does the Rape of Nanking seem more horrific than other occupations, and why? How were the rules seemingly different in this case?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the Japanese propaganda to the world in general and the population of Nanking in particular during the occupation. Include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 3
To what factors can the behavior of Chinese soldiers and officers be attributed during the abandonment of Nanking? What mentality explains the soldiers' disorganized efforts to leave the city, and their attempts to disguise themselves so as not be recognized as soldiers?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)