|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the massacre, what is the estimated financial damage to public property in Nanking?
2. At the end of "The Forgotten Holocaust," Azuma Shiro becomes the first Japanese veteran to apologize for his role in Nanking. During what year does this occur?
3. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
4. How does the American public initially respond when the article entitled "The Sack of Nanking" is published in magazines in the US?
5. In what month during "The Occupation of Nanking" do the Japanese open a facility for medical experiments on Nanking residents?
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Hirohito and his family were granted immunity for all wartime actions in exchange for Japan's surrender. In a well-developed essay, discuss whether or not this action was justified. Use supporting material from the text to analyze how much the emperor knew of the events in Nanking, and to what extent other members of the imperial family should or should not have been held accountable.
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the Japanese samurai code. What are the basic principles of this code? How did the code make its way into normal society from the initial applications of samurai life? In what way does the code prepare the Japanese for war?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the historical vision of Nanking with the version seen after the Japanese occupation. What major changes could be noticed? How had the population changed? How had the focus of the city changed?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)