|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date does the commander who is left in charge of Nanking receive orders from the leader of the Nationalists to abandon the city?
2. Decades later, what is still stunning about the way in which the Rape of Nanking was conducted?
3. For how long does the most violent part of the Rape of Nanking last?
4. What kind of resistance does the Japanese army meet when it gets to Nanking?
5. Most of the Zone leaders have no bodyguard experience, and yet they accomplish all BUT WHICH of the following actions anyway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe John Rabe's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
2. As discussed in "The Fall of Nanking," what are the reasons historians have found for why Nanking fell in four days with so many Chinese soldiers present to defend the city?
3. According to Chang at the end of "The Nanking Safety Zone," what is chilling about the number of refugees in the Nanking Safety Zone?
4. What was Japan's isolationist foreign policy intended to accomplish, and in what ways did that policy backfire?
5. According to the Introduction, in what two ways was Japan's mindset as it set out to conquer neighboring nations similar to the way Nazi Germany's mindset would be a few years later? How are the two tactics related?
6. Briefly describe the five methods of torture used by the Japanese soldiers in their attempt to exterminate the population of Nanking.
7. Briefly explain the twentieth-century Japanese cultural identity, as detailed in "The Path to Nanking."
8. As the Japanese army begins mass executions in Nanking, what becomes their most pressing problem, and how do they resolve it?
9. Briefly describe Wilhelmina (Minnie) Vautrin's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
10. Describe the methods used by the Japanese army to subdue the larger Chinese population of Nanking, as described in "Six Weeks of Terror."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various responses of the Chinese women in Nanking to the widespread rapes committed by Japanese soldiers. Why did so few women fight back? Be sure to include the responses of the women who found themselves pregnant afterward, and also include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the ways in which the events in Nanking differ from a "normal" wartime occupation. How was the focus different in Nanking? In what ways does the Rape of Nanking seem more horrific than other occupations, and why? How were the rules seemingly different in this case?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the historical vision of Nanking with the version seen after the Japanese occupation. What major changes could be noticed? How had the population changed? How had the focus of the city changed?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)