Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tuberculosis strikes the first commander of the Japanese military. Who then takes over as the leader of the troops around Nanking?
2. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
3. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
4. Japan succeeded in accomplishing war with China during the summer of which year?
5. According to the Introduction, Africans believe World War II began in which year?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chang at the end of "The Nanking Safety Zone," what is chilling about the number of refugees in the Nanking Safety Zone?
2. What reasons does Chang give in the Introduction as to why the Rape of Nanking is not as well known as the Holocaust or other tragic events?
3. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
4. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
5. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
6. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
7. Describe the methods used by the Japanese army to subdue the larger Chinese population of Nanking, as described in "Six Weeks of Terror."
8. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
9. Why is Matsui Iwane's behavior during his war crimes trial so puzzling?
10. Briefly explain the twentieth-century Japanese cultural identity, as detailed in "The Path to Nanking."
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process by which Japanese soldiers learned to view the Chinese as less than human. At what point did this conditioning begin, and what cultural factors enabled it to be so successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various responses of the Chinese women in Nanking to the widespread rapes committed by Japanese soldiers. Why did so few women fight back? Be sure to include the responses of the women who found themselves pregnant afterward, and also include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the factors and events after the Rape of Nanking that allowed this event to be buried for so long. Include the perspectives of China, Japan, and the United States and the reasons each country may have had to ignore this tragedy.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)