|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Japanese government do in response to the mass rape committed by soldiers in Nanking?
2. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
3. In the 12th Century, the Samurai became firmly established by which powerful Japanese family?
4. What can be considered ironic about John Rabe as a defender of the Safety Zone?
5. Chang states in "Six Weeks of Terror" that one of the Japanese military leaders is known as "the masked shogun" because information about this person is scarce. To which leader does she refer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Wilhelmina (Minnie) Vautrin's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
2. According to Kirby, what haunts Chinese-Japanese relations today, and why?
3. What was the relationship between Chiang Kai-shek and Tang Sheng-chih at the time of the Nanking invasion?
4. Describe the attitude of Lieutenant Colonel Hashimoto Kingoro about Japan's future in his book, quoted in "The Path to Nanking."
5. Chang states in the Introduction that the Rape of Nanking surpasses many of the world's most barbaric events. To which events does she refer, and why was Nanking worse?
6. Briefly describe the five methods of torture used by the Japanese soldiers in their attempt to exterminate the population of Nanking.
7. As discussed in "Six Weeks of Horror," why will the world never fully understand the psychic toll taken on the women of Nanking, despite best efforts to accurately count the number of rapes?
8. At what point does the author state that she became aware of the Rape of Nanking, and what caused her to doubt the accuracy of the information with which she had been presented?
9. Briefly describe John Rabe's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
10. Briefly describe Robert Wilson's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the Japanese samurai code. What are the basic principles of this code? How did the code make its way into normal society from the initial applications of samurai life? In what way does the code prepare the Japanese for war?
Essay Topic 2
Given Matsui's absence during most of the atrocities during the first several weeks of the occupation, historians have long been puzzled by his willingness to take complete blame for the Rape of Nanking. Discuss three possible reasons for Matsui's behavior. Include historical research and supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the process by which Japanese soldiers learned to view the Chinese as less than human. At what point did this conditioning begin, and what cultural factors enabled it to be so successful?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)