|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following military commanders is initially in charge of the Japanese imperial army for the Shanghai-Nanking region?
2. Shao Tzuping, one of the producers of a documentary on The Rape of Nanking, had served in all BUT WHICH of the following positions?
3. Chang states in "Six Weeks of Terror" that one of the Japanese military leaders is known as "the masked shogun" because information about this person is scarce. To which leader does she refer?
4. In "The Path to Nanking," the author states that the Japanese Samurai code of conduct is called what?
5. A historian at the Jiangsu Academy of Social Sciences has compiled the most accurate estimate of how many were killed in Nanking. What figure has he reached?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author accomplish by referring to Nanking as a "forgotten Holocaust," according to Kirby?
2. What are the responses of Japan and China when Nanking falls, as described by William Kirby in the Foreword?
3. Describe how Tang Shunsan was able to survive his encounter with Japanese soldiers.
4. Briefly describe the three different occupations of Nanking.
5. Describe the methods used by the Japanese army to subdue the larger Chinese population of Nanking, as described in "Six Weeks of Terror."
6. As discussed in "The Fall of Nanking," what are the reasons historians have found for why Nanking fell in four days with so many Chinese soldiers present to defend the city?
7. In "Six Weeks of Horror," why do the Chinese civilians in Nanking initially believe that the Japanese occupation may not be so bad?
8. Describe the broad time line and details of the Rape of Nanking as outlined in the Introduction.
9. Briefly describe Robert Wilson's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
10. At what point does the author state that she became aware of the Rape of Nanking, and what caused her to doubt the accuracy of the information with which she had been presented?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emperor Hirohito and his family were granted immunity for all wartime actions in exchange for Japan's surrender. In a well-developed essay, discuss whether or not this action was justified. Use supporting material from the text to analyze how much the emperor knew of the events in Nanking, and to what extent other members of the imperial family should or should not have been held accountable.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the process by which Japanese soldiers learned to view the Chinese as less than human. At what point did this conditioning begin, and what cultural factors enabled it to be so successful?
Essay Topic 3
Has Iris Chang presented a fair and accurate discussion of the Rape of Nanking? Analyze and discuss three instances where Chang is or is not objective about the events in Nanking, and be sure to support the essay with information from the text.
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)