Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tuberculosis strikes the first commander of the Japanese military. Who then takes over as the leader of the troops around Nanking?
2. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
3. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
4. Japan succeeded in accomplishing war with China during the summer of which year?
5. According to the Introduction, Africans believe World War II began in which year?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chang at the end of "The Nanking Safety Zone," what is chilling about the number of refugees in the Nanking Safety Zone?
2. What reasons does Chang give in the Introduction as to why the Rape of Nanking is not as well known as the Holocaust or other tragic events?
3. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
4. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
5. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
6. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
7. Describe the methods used by the Japanese army to subdue the larger Chinese population of Nanking, as described in "Six Weeks of Terror."
8. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
9. Why is Matsui Iwane's behavior during his war crimes trial so puzzling?
10. Briefly explain the twentieth-century Japanese cultural identity, as detailed in "The Path to Nanking."
Essay Topic 1
Given Matsui's absence during most of the atrocities during the first several weeks of the occupation, historians have long been puzzled by his willingness to take complete blame for the Rape of Nanking. Discuss three possible reasons for Matsui's behavior. Include historical research and supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Hirohito and his family were granted immunity for all wartime actions in exchange for Japan's surrender. In a well-developed essay, discuss whether or not this action was justified. Use supporting material from the text to analyze how much the emperor knew of the events in Nanking, and to what extent other members of the imperial family should or should not have been held accountable.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the process by which Japanese soldiers learned to view the Chinese as less than human. At what point did this conditioning begin, and what cultural factors enabled it to be so successful?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)