|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By December of 1937, how many Chinese troops populate the area around Nanking?
2. To which infamous Nazi is Nakajima Kesago compared in the "Six Weeks of Terror" chapter?
3. In which year does a group of officers launch a coup d'etat in Tokyo that kills the Prime Minister?
4. Tuberculosis strikes the first commander of the Japanese military. Who then takes over as the leader of the troops around Nanking?
5. The Foreword states that the occupation of Nanking was supposed to be a turning point for the Japanese in the struggle against which leader's armies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe John Rabe's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
2. What are the responses of Japan and China when Nanking falls, as described by William Kirby in the Foreword?
3. In "Six Weeks of Horror," why do the Chinese civilians in Nanking initially believe that the Japanese occupation may not be so bad?
4. What was Japan's isolationist foreign policy intended to accomplish, and in what ways did that policy backfire?
5. Describe the process by which new Japanese soldiers were desensitized.
6. Describe how Tang Shunsan was able to survive his encounter with Japanese soldiers.
7. As discussed in "The Fall of Nanking," what are the reasons historians have found for why Nanking fell in four days with so many Chinese soldiers present to defend the city?
8. In the Introduction, Chang states that various countries view World War II as having different start dates. To what can this disagreement be attributed?
9. Describe the attitude of Lieutenant Colonel Hashimoto Kingoro about Japan's future in his book, quoted in "The Path to Nanking."
10. Describe Matsui Iwane's reaction to the events in Nanking after he was once again well enough to take command of the soldiers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From a historical perspective, discuss the reasons why Japan was able to break Nanking in four days with 90,000 Chinese soldiers present in the city. In the discussion, deal with the issues from smallest to largest impact on the fall of the city. Include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the historical vision of Nanking with the version seen after the Japanese occupation. What major changes could be noticed? How had the population changed? How had the focus of the city changed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the decision by the Chinese government to pull out of Nanking and the subsequent actions in the suburbs of the city. What reasons might the government have had for pulling out of Nanking? What steps did the government abandonment enable the Chinese military to take that they might not otherwise have been able to take?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)