|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following military commanders is initially in charge of the Japanese imperial army for the Shanghai-Nanking region?
2. In the Foreword, what is the date given for the fall of Nanking?
3. What World War II event has helped the world believe the myth that Japan was a victim and not an instigator?
4. Ms. Chang informs the reader that the Rape of Nanking is told from all BUT WHICH of the following points of view?
5. What motto sums up the mindset that Japanese cadets were taught to adopt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the relationship between Chiang Kai-shek and Tang Sheng-chih at the time of the Nanking invasion?
2. Briefly describe Robert Wilson's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
3. Briefly describe John Rabe's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
4. Describe the attitude of Lieutenant Colonel Hashimoto Kingoro about Japan's future in his book, quoted in "The Path to Nanking."
5. Briefly describe the five methods of torture used by the Japanese soldiers in their attempt to exterminate the population of Nanking.
6. Briefly describe the three different occupations of Nanking.
7. In "Six Weeks of Horror," why do the Chinese civilians in Nanking initially believe that the Japanese occupation may not be so bad?
8. At what point does the author state that she became aware of the Rape of Nanking, and what caused her to doubt the accuracy of the information with which she had been presented?
9. Describe the process by which new Japanese soldiers were desensitized.
10. In the Introduction, Chang states that various countries view World War II as having different start dates. To what can this disagreement be attributed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the Japanese propaganda to the world in general and the population of Nanking in particular during the occupation. Include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Emperor Hirohito and his family were granted immunity for all wartime actions in exchange for Japan's surrender. In a well-developed essay, discuss whether or not this action was justified. Use supporting material from the text to analyze how much the emperor knew of the events in Nanking, and to what extent other members of the imperial family should or should not have been held accountable.
Essay Topic 3
In most successful wars and occupations, the master-race theme is often present. Japan used the master-race mentality to justify its occupation of China, just as Nazi Germany used the master-race idea to justify its crimes against Jews, gypsies, and other political "undesirables." Why is this mindset important in Nanking? What does it accomplish? How might Japan's occupation of Nanking have been different if Japanese soldiers did NOT view themselves as more worthy than the Chinese civilians?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)