|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people is alone in advocating a strong defense for Nanking in November of 1937?
2. What nationality is John Rabe?
3. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
4. The Foreword mentions that the Rape of Nanking has haunted Chinese-Japanese relations for how many years?
5. Ms. Chang informs the reader that the Rape of Nanking is told from all BUT WHICH of the following points of view?
Short Essay Questions
1. As discussed in "Six Weeks of Horror," why will the world never fully understand the psychic toll taken on the women of Nanking, despite best efforts to accurately count the number of rapes?
2. In what way can we now think of Nanking as a different sort of turning point, according to Kirby?
3. Describe Matsui Iwane's reaction to the events in Nanking after he was once again well enough to take command of the soldiers.
4. Briefly describe Wilhelmina (Minnie) Vautrin's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
5. In the Introduction, Chang states that various countries view World War II as having different start dates. To what can this disagreement be attributed?
6. Briefly describe the three different occupations of Nanking.
7. Describe the broad time line and details of the Rape of Nanking as outlined in the Introduction.
8. What was the relationship between Chiang Kai-shek and Tang Sheng-chih at the time of the Nanking invasion?
9. What factors contribute to the end of Japan's golden era of prosperity, as discussed in "The Path to Nanking"?
10. In the Foreword, what does Kirby say was unique about the Rape of Nanking in regards to the way it was carried out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Has Iris Chang presented a fair and accurate discussion of the Rape of Nanking? Analyze and discuss three instances where Chang is or is not objective about the events in Nanking, and be sure to support the essay with information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Given Matsui's absence during most of the atrocities during the first several weeks of the occupation, historians have long been puzzled by his willingness to take complete blame for the Rape of Nanking. Discuss three possible reasons for Matsui's behavior. Include historical research and supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the Japanese propaganda to the world in general and the population of Nanking in particular during the occupation. Include supporting material from the text.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)