|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By December during the occupation, Chang states that the population of Nanking has fallen to about how many people?
2. After the order to retreat is given, what route is left open to leave Nanking without encountering Japanese soldiers?
3. By which decade does the author state in "The Path to Nanking" that Japan had launched an undeclared war on China?
4. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
5. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
2. Describe the biological warfare used by the Japanese in an attempt to exterminate Chinese civilians.
3. Describe how Tang Shunsan was able to survive his encounter with Japanese soldiers.
4. Why is Matsui Iwane's behavior during his war crimes trial so puzzling?
5. What are the responses of Japan and China when Nanking falls, as described by William Kirby in the Foreword?
6. Briefly describe Wilhelmina (Minnie) Vautrin's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
7. In "Six Weeks of Horror," why do the Chinese civilians in Nanking initially believe that the Japanese occupation may not be so bad?
8. What event finally ends the occupation of Nanking, and when does it end?
9. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
10. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the historical vision of Nanking with the version seen after the Japanese occupation. What major changes could be noticed? How had the population changed? How had the focus of the city changed?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different methods used to rescue the Chinese population of Nanking by John Rabe, Robert Wilson, and Minnie Vautrin. Be sure to use material from the text to support the essay.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the Japanese propaganda to the world in general and the population of Nanking in particular during the occupation. Include supporting material from the text.
This section contains 2,007 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)