|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Japanese government do in response to the mass rape committed by soldiers in Nanking?
2. What nationality is John Rabe?
3. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that Nanking prompted China to do all BUT WHICH of the following?
4. What is the geographical area mentioned as the main site of the Japanese/Chinese conflict at the time Nanking fell?
5. Ms. Chang informs the reader that the Rape of Nanking is told from all BUT WHICH of the following points of view?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the five methods of torture used by the Japanese soldiers in their attempt to exterminate the population of Nanking.
2. Briefly describe John Rabe's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
3. Briefly explain the twentieth-century Japanese cultural identity, as detailed in "The Path to Nanking."
4. At what point does the author state that she became aware of the Rape of Nanking, and what caused her to doubt the accuracy of the information with which she had been presented?
5. Describe the methods used by the Japanese army to subdue the larger Chinese population of Nanking, as described in "Six Weeks of Terror."
6. Describe the preparations the Chinese government ordered the citizens to undertake in order to prepare for possible invasions after the fall of Shanghai.
7. According to Chang at the end of "The Nanking Safety Zone," what is chilling about the number of refugees in the Nanking Safety Zone?
8. As discussed in "The Fall of Nanking," what are the reasons historians have found for why Nanking fell in four days with so many Chinese soldiers present to defend the city?
9. As the Japanese army begins mass executions in Nanking, what becomes their most pressing problem, and how do they resolve it?
10. What does the author accomplish by referring to Nanking as a "forgotten Holocaust," according to Kirby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social and economic factors that enabled Japan to begin feeling as though it were the victim of an international conspiracy in the years prior to Japan's attempt to conquer China. How are the factors interlinked? Was there something to Japan's feeling that it was being picked on by the international community, or were they looking for an excuse to be upset with the rest of the world? Was the international community being fair or unfair toward Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the Japanese propaganda to the world in general and the population of Nanking in particular during the occupation. Include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different methods used to rescue the Chinese population of Nanking by John Rabe, Robert Wilson, and Minnie Vautrin. Be sure to use material from the text to support the essay.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)