|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the author NOT discover is a published book on the subject of Nanking?
2. What does the Japanese government do in response to the mass rape committed by soldiers in Nanking?
3. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
4. Which individual does Chang discuss third in "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
5. The Rape of Nanking was kept quiet by all BUT WHICH of the following countries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Japan occupied Nanking for eight years and set up a government of Chinese collaborators. What was that government NOT able to accomplish during those eight years?
2. Briefly describe Wilhelmina (Minnie) Vautrin's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
3. According to Kirby, what haunts Chinese-Japanese relations today, and why?
4. Describe Matsui Iwane's reaction to the events in Nanking after he was once again well enough to take command of the soldiers.
5. Briefly describe Robert Wilson's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
6. According to the Introduction, in what two ways was Japan's mindset as it set out to conquer neighboring nations similar to the way Nazi Germany's mindset would be a few years later? How are the two tactics related?
7. Describe the process by which new Japanese soldiers were desensitized.
8. According to Chang at the end of "The Nanking Safety Zone," what is chilling about the number of refugees in the Nanking Safety Zone?
9. Describe how Tang Shunsan was able to survive his encounter with Japanese soldiers.
10. Describe the preparations the Chinese government ordered the citizens to undertake in order to prepare for possible invasions after the fall of Shanghai.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given Matsui's absence during most of the atrocities during the first several weeks of the occupation, historians have long been puzzled by his willingness to take complete blame for the Rape of Nanking. Discuss three possible reasons for Matsui's behavior. Include historical research and supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the Japanese propaganda to the world in general and the population of Nanking in particular during the occupation. Include supporting material from the text.
Essay Topic 3
From a historical perspective, discuss the reasons why Japan was able to break Nanking in four days with 90,000 Chinese soldiers present in the city. In the discussion, deal with the issues from smallest to largest impact on the fall of the city. Include supporting material from the text.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)