|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Nanking Safety Zone is initially set up, how long does the International Committee intend for it to be open?
2. Which Chinese city is known as "the Venice of China" and is completely devastated by the Japanese army?
3. A historian at the Jiangsu Academy of Social Sciences has compiled the most accurate estimate of how many were killed in Nanking. What figure has he reached?
4. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
5. On December 13, 1937, Japanese soldiers are ordered to execute all Chinese prisoners of war for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Tang Shunsan was able to survive his encounter with Japanese soldiers.
2. Describe the process by which new Japanese soldiers were desensitized.
3. Briefly explain the twentieth-century Japanese cultural identity, as detailed in "The Path to Nanking."
4. Briefly describe the three different occupations of Nanking.
5. Briefly describe John Rabe's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
6. At what point does the author state that she became aware of the Rape of Nanking, and what caused her to doubt the accuracy of the information with which she had been presented?
7. What was the relationship between Chiang Kai-shek and Tang Sheng-chih at the time of the Nanking invasion?
8. Describe Matsui Iwane's reaction to the events in Nanking after he was once again well enough to take command of the soldiers.
9. Briefly describe the five methods of torture used by the Japanese soldiers in their attempt to exterminate the population of Nanking.
10. Briefly describe Robert Wilson's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social and economic factors that enabled Japan to begin feeling as though it were the victim of an international conspiracy in the years prior to Japan's attempt to conquer China. How are the factors interlinked? Was there something to Japan's feeling that it was being picked on by the international community, or were they looking for an excuse to be upset with the rest of the world? Was the international community being fair or unfair toward Japan?
Essay Topic 2
Has Iris Chang presented a fair and accurate discussion of the Rape of Nanking? Analyze and discuss three instances where Chang is or is not objective about the events in Nanking, and be sure to support the essay with information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In most successful wars and occupations, the master-race theme is often present. Japan used the master-race mentality to justify its occupation of China, just as Nazi Germany used the master-race idea to justify its crimes against Jews, gypsies, and other political "undesirables." Why is this mindset important in Nanking? What does it accomplish? How might Japan's occupation of Nanking have been different if Japanese soldiers did NOT view themselves as more worthy than the Chinese civilians?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)