|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chang frequently required assistance from others because she used source material written in all BUT WHICH of the following languages?
2. In 1941, the Japanese army launched a campaign of terror in northern China. What was the population of northern China prior to this campaign?
(a) 25 million.
(b) 16 million.
(c) 105 million.
(d) 44 million.
3. In "Judgment Day," one of the war crimes trials held is for two lieutenants: Takeshi and Toshiaki. In what chapter of this book does "Judgment Day" say their killing contest is described?
(a) Chapter 8.
(b) Chapter 4.
(c) Chapter 2.
(d) Chapter 6.
4. The US Department of Justice has compiled a list of Japanese war criminals in order to keep those people from entering the country. In what year is the watch list made?
5. By spring of 1938, all BUT WHICH of the following functions have resumed in Nanking?
(b) Running water.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
2. To what problem can most of the damage in Nanking be attributed in the, "The Occupation of Nanking" chapter?
3. To what number is the population of northern China reduced after the terror campaign in 1941?
4. After the massacre, what is the estimated financial damage to public property in Nanking?
5. When news of John Rabe's situation reaches China, the Nanking survivors raise how much money in US dollars to help him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
2. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
3. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
4. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
5. How does the outside world get information on the events in Nanking during "What the World Knew"?
6. What event finally ends the occupation of Nanking, and when does it end?
7. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
8. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
9. According to the Epilogue, what is one of the greatest ironies of the cold war?
10. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)