|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year does Ishihara Shintaro give an interview stating that there was no massacre in Nanking?
2. After the Japanese surrender, John Rabe begins to talk openly about what he witnessed in Nanking. In response, he is arrested by all BUT WHICH of the following governments?
3. Which of the following individuals is the director of the Japanese environmental agency who comments that Japan never intended to be aggressive and is forced to retract the statement in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) General Nagano Shigeto.
(b) Sakurai Shin.
(c) Fujio Masayuki.
(d) Okuno Seisuki.
4. The Global Alliance for Preserving the History of World War II in Asia assisted Chang by providing all BUT WHICH of the following?
(c) Important contacts.
(d) Trial transcripts.
5. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
(a) December 28.
(b) February 6.
(c) January 1.
(d) January 20.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chang states in "The Forgotten Holocaust" that censorship in Japan is practiced not only by the government, but also by which other entity?
2. Which of the following individuals holds several government positions and is forced to resign after stating that Japan was not an aggressor during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
3. Ono Kenji has co-edited a book on the Nanking massacre, the first work to be based completely on Japanese sources. During what year is the book published?
4. Chang states that her parents are the kind that most people only dream of, and that they are all BUT WHICH of the following?
5. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
2. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
3. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
4. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
5. Describe Nanking's economic situation after the massacre.
6. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
7. Today, the Japanese government takes the position that any wartime reparation issues were dealt with in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952. Why is this position erroneous?
8. Briefly describe what happened to Robert Wilson after the Nanking massacre.
9. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
10. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)