|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" does the People's Republic of China announce that it has forgiven Japan and invites the Japanese prime minister to visit China?
2. On what date in 1937 do most reporters leave Nanking after the city falls to the Japanese?
(a) November 3.
(b) December 29.
(c) January 16.
(d) December 15.
3. Chang frequently required assistance from others because she used source material written in all BUT WHICH of the following languages?
4. Prince Mikasa Takahito wrote a confessional report about Japanese atrocities that was buried for decades. In what year does Takahito's report emerge?
5. Chang states in "The Forgotten Holocaust" that censorship in Japan is practiced not only by the government, but also by which other entity?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals is the director of the Japanese environmental agency who comments that Japan never intended to be aggressive and is forced to retract the statement in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
2. What is the second factor that Tanaka Yuko cites as the reason the Japanese army had such potential for brutality?
3. "The Fate of the Survivors" states that many of the victims of Nanking continue to suffer all BUT WHICH of the following?
4. When the initial deaths are combined with deaths that occurred later but are related, one can estimate that the Japanese killed about how many Chinese people in total?
5. Chang's parents provided all BUT WHICH of the following assistance during the writing of this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
2. Briefly describe the International Military Tribunal for the Far East trials.
3. What event finally ends the occupation of Nanking, and when does it end?
4. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
5. Today, the Japanese government takes the position that any wartime reparation issues were dealt with in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952. Why is this position erroneous?
6. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
7. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
8. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
9. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
10. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)