|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which organization pays for Chang's trips to Asia?
(a) Institute of Modern History.
(b) National Archives.
(c) Pacific Cultural Foundation.
(d) Yale Divinity School.
2. After Nanking, what event is pivotal in the change of relations between the United States and Japan?
(a) Japan's surrender.
(b) Cold War.
(c) Yalta Conference.
(d) IMTFE trials.
3. After the Japanese surrender, John Rabe begins to talk openly about what he witnessed in Nanking. In response, he is arrested by all BUT WHICH of the following governments?
4. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
(a) January 1.
(b) January 20.
(c) February 6.
(d) December 28.
5. Which of the following newsreel reporters are NOT on board when the USS Panay is attacked?
(a) Sandro Sandri.
(b) Normal Alley.
(c) Eric Mayell.
(d) Jean Marie Lutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals is the Japanese minister of education who kills his career when he states that the Rape of Nanking is "just a part of war" in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
2. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" do seizures and a mental collapse force Robert Wilson to leave Nanking for Santa Barbara, California?
3. George Fitch's daughter states that her father is so traumatized after the Rape of Nanking that what frequently occurs?
4. Chang states that during her visit to Nanking, she discovers that reparations from Japan in what amount would make a huge difference for the survivors?
5. Ono Kenji has co-edited a book on the Nanking massacre, the first work to be based completely on Japanese sources. During what year is the book published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
2. When news of the atrocities in Nanking finally begin to be published in American magazines, what is the initial public response?
3. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
4. According to the Epilogue, what is one of the greatest ironies of the cold war?
5. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
6. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
7. Describe Nanking's economic situation after the massacre.
8. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
9. Briefly describe what happened to Robert Wilson after the Nanking massacre.
10. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)