|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
(a) One in one hundred.
(c) One in three.
(d) One in twenty-five.
2. After the massacre, what is the estimated financial damage to public property in Nanking?
(a) $90 thousand.
(b) $200 million.
(c) $140 thousand.
(d) $836 million.
3. As "What the World Knew" opens, how does the world know what's happening in Nanking?
(a) Reporters are there covering the story.
(b) Refugees are escaping to the West.
(c) The soldiers are sending letters to their families.
(d) The leaders of the Safety Zone are issuing statements.
4. Which of the following newsreel reporters are NOT on board when the USS Panay is attacked?
(a) Normal Alley.
(b) Sandro Sandri.
(c) Jean Marie Lutes.
(d) Eric Mayell.
5. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chang in "The Forgotten Holocaust," what is one of the most sinister parts of Japanese education?
2. The end of "Judgment Day" states that Emperor Hirohito dies in what year?
3. Which Japanese news outlet begins to report that all is well and that Nanking's citizens are returning home in late December during the occupation?
4. One of the deadliest policies endorsed by the Japanese government during the war is the "Three-all" policy, which means all BUT WHICH of the following?
5. Which of the following individuals is appointed to the position of justice minister, gives an interview stating that the Nanking Massacre is a hoax, and is forced to resign in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
2. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
3. Why is Matsui Iwane's behavior during his war crimes trial so puzzling?
4. How does the outside world get information on the events in Nanking during "What the World Knew"?
5. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
6. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
7. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
8. Why are the leaders of the International Safety Zone Committee particularly well-suited to tell the real story of Nanking?
9. When news of the atrocities in Nanking finally begin to be published in American magazines, what is the initial public response?
10. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)