|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the most high-profile trials described in chapter eight is for Tani Hisao. What military position does Hisao hold during the Rape of Nanking?
(a) Second Lieutenant of 4th division.
(b) Colonel of 5th division.
(c) Lieutenant General of 6th division.
(d) Major General of 9th division.
2. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
(a) February 6.
(b) January 20.
(c) December 28.
(d) January 1.
3. To what number is the population of northern China reduced after the terror campaign in 1941?
(a) 105 million.
(b) 44 million.
(c) 16 million.
(d) 25 million.
4. By spring of 1938, all BUT WHICH of the following functions have resumed in Nanking?
(d) Running water.
5. Ono Kenji has co-edited a book on the Nanking massacre, the first work to be based completely on Japanese sources. During what year is the book published?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals is the Japanese minister of education who kills his career when he states that the Rape of Nanking is "just a part of war" in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
2. The Japanese occupation of Nanking finally ends during what year?
3. Which of the following individuals is the minister for international trade who announces that Japan never intended to invade other Asian countries during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
4. Which of the following individuals is appointed to the position of justice minister, gives an interview stating that the Nanking Massacre is a hoax, and is forced to resign in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
5. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
2. Today, the Japanese government takes the position that any wartime reparation issues were dealt with in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952. Why is this position erroneous?
3. Describe the biological warfare used by the Japanese in an attempt to exterminate Chinese civilians.
4. What is the US response to the attack on the USS Panay?
5. How does the outside world get information on the events in Nanking during "What the World Knew"?
6. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
7. Briefly describe the International Military Tribunal for the Far East trials.
8. Why are the leaders of the International Safety Zone Committee particularly well-suited to tell the real story of Nanking?
9. According to the Epilogue, what is one of the greatest ironies of the cold war?
10. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)