|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following individuals is the minister for international trade who announces that Japan never intended to invade other Asian countries during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Murayama Tomiichi.
(b) Kajiyama Seiroku.
(c) Hashimoto Ryutaro.
(d) Kim Young-sam.
2. On what date in 1937 do most reporters leave Nanking after the city falls to the Japanese?
(a) November 3.
(b) December 15.
(c) January 16.
(d) December 29.
3. After Minnie Vautrin returns to the United States, she repeatedly attempts suicide. On what date does she finally succeed in ending her life?
(a) October 3, 1945.
(b) May 14, 1941.
(c) April 22, 1943.
(d) July 9, 1940.
4. Which of the following individuals is the director of the Japanese environmental agency who comments that Japan never intended to be aggressive and is forced to retract the statement in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Sakurai Shin.
(b) Okuno Seisuki.
(c) Fujio Masayuki.
(d) General Nagano Shigeto.
5. In 1941, the Japanese army launched a campaign of terror in northern China. What was the population of northern China prior to this campaign?
(a) 44 million.
(b) 16 million.
(c) 105 million.
(d) 25 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Epilogue states that Japanese aviators sprayed fleas carrying plague germs over all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
2. In "The Occupation of Nanking," the Japanese use all BUT WHICH of the following tools to break open bank vaults?
3. To what number is the population of northern China reduced after the terror campaign in 1941?
4. Chang states in "The Forgotten Holocaust" that censorship in Japan is practiced not only by the government, but also by which other entity?
5. Chang's book was helped along by her editor, a woman by the name of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
2. Explain Matsui Iwane's philosophy about China as discussed in the Epilogue.
3. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
4. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
5. What is the US response to the attack on the USS Panay?
6. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
7. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
8. Why are the leaders of the International Safety Zone Committee particularly well-suited to tell the real story of Nanking?
9. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
10. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)