|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what time during 1938 does "The Occupation of Nanking" say the massacre is over?
2. George Fitch's daughter states that her father is so traumatized after the Rape of Nanking that what frequently occurs?
(b) Crying fits.
3. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" does the People's Republic of China announce that it has forgiven Japan and invites the Japanese prime minister to visit China?
4. Chang's parents provided all BUT WHICH of the following assistance during the writing of this book?
(a) Reading drafts.
(b) Translating documents.
(c) Correcting information.
(d) Offering advice.
5. In "What the World Knew," Chang presents diary or letter responses to the Japanese propaganda from all BUT WHICH of the following individuals?
(a) Lewis Smythe.
(b) James McCallum.
(c) George Fitch.
(d) Minnie Vautrin.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Japanese also mixed food with which of the following deadly diseases during the invasion?
2. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
3. How does the American public initially respond when the article entitled "The Sack of Nanking" is published in magazines in the US?
4. What is the second factor that Tanaka Yuko cites as the reason the Japanese army had such potential for brutality?
5. By spring of 1938, all BUT WHICH of the following functions have resumed in Nanking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
2. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
3. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
4. Briefly describe what happened to Robert Wilson after the Nanking massacre.
5. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
6. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
7. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
8. What is the US response to the attack on the USS Panay?
9. What event finally ends the occupation of Nanking, and when does it end?
10. Explain Matsui Iwane's philosophy about China as discussed in the Epilogue.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)