|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Occupation of Nanking," which country's flag is torn down six times from the University of Nanking?
2. By what time during 1938 does "The Occupation of Nanking" say the massacre is over?
3. Which of the following individuals is a cabinet secretary who claims that the rape victims were actually engaged in willful prostitution during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Hashimoto Ryutaro.
(b) Kajiyama Seiroku.
(c) Murayama Tomiichi.
(d) Kim Young-sam.
4. Japanese soldiers break into Nanking University Hospital after the massacre and steal all BUT WHICH of the following from nurses?
5. According to Chang in "The Forgotten Holocaust," what is one of the most sinister parts of Japanese education?
(a) Textbook censorship.
(b) Rigid discipline.
(c) Grueling exams.
(d) Long school hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals is appointed to the position of justice minister, gives an interview stating that the Nanking Massacre is a hoax, and is forced to resign in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
2. Chang states in "The Forgotten Holocaust" that censorship in Japan is practiced not only by the government, but also by which other entity?
3. Chang states that during her visit to Nanking, she discovers that reparations from Japan in what amount would make a huge difference for the survivors?
4. At the end of "The Forgotten Holocaust," Azuma Shiro becomes the first Japanese veteran to apologize for his role in Nanking. During what year does this occur?
5. Chang's book was helped along by her editor, a woman by the name of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
2. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
3. Why is Matsui Iwane's behavior during his war crimes trial so puzzling?
4. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
5. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
6. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
7. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
8. Briefly describe the International Military Tribunal for the Far East trials.
9. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
10. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)