|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year does Ishihara Shintaro give an interview stating that there was no massacre in Nanking?
2. After John Rabe's death, his family finally publishes his diary. It is covered by world media on what date?
(a) May 9, 1958.
(b) October 4, 1982.
(c) July 27, 1874.
(d) December 12, 1996.
3. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
4. How does the American public initially respond when the article entitled "The Sack of Nanking" is published in magazines in the US?
5. The Epilogue states that the Rape of Nanking is just one example of Japanese atrocities during how many years of war?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Judgment Day" states that some of the worst atrocities in Nanking are committed by which man, who dies shortly after Japan's surrender?
2. Chang frequently required assistance from others because she used source material written in all BUT WHICH of the following languages?
3. Japanese soldiers break into Nanking University Hospital after the massacre and steal all BUT WHICH of the following from nurses?
4. By what time during 1938 does "The Occupation of Nanking" say the massacre is over?
5. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
2. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
3. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
4. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
5. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
6. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
7. Describe Nanking's economic situation after the massacre.
8. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
9. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
10. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)