|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chang in "The Forgotten Holocaust," what is one of the most sinister parts of Japanese education?
(a) Rigid discipline.
(b) Textbook censorship.
(c) Grueling exams.
(d) Long school hours.
2. In "The Fate of the Survivors," Chang states that she is able to videotape oral testimony from Nanking survivors during what year?
3. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
(b) One in one hundred.
(c) One in three.
(d) One in twenty-five.
4. One of the diary writers in "What the World Knew" is able to take several reels of film and smuggle them out of Nanking on which date?
(a) January 19.
(b) November 26.
(c) December 16.
(d) March 20.
5. The Epilogue states that the Rape of Nanking is just one example of Japanese atrocities during how many years of war?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Nanking, what event is pivotal in the change of relations between the United States and Japan?
2. Segments of the diary writer's film in "What the World Knew" are eventually included in a documentary entitled "Why We Fight: Battle of China" by which director?
3. Which of the following individuals holds several government positions and is forced to resign after stating that Japan was not an aggressor during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
4. One of the deadliest policies endorsed by the Japanese government during the war is the "Three-all" policy, which means all BUT WHICH of the following?
5. Which organization pays for Chang's trips to Asia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
2. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
3. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
4. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
5. Briefly describe the International Military Tribunal for the Far East trials.
6. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
7. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
8. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
9. Why are the leaders of the International Safety Zone Committee particularly well-suited to tell the real story of Nanking?
10. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)