|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month during "The Occupation of Nanking" do the Japanese open a facility for medical experiments on Nanking residents?
2. Which US President announces on December 13 that he is shocked by the attack on the USS Panay?
(a) Herbert Hoover.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) Harry Truman.
(d) Calvin Coolidge.
3. In "The Occupation of Nanking," the Japanese use all BUT WHICH of the following tools to break open bank vaults?
(a) Pistol shots.
(b) Acetylene torches.
(d) Hand grenades.
4. In the Acknowledgments, who does Chang say first told her about the Rape of Nanking?
(a) A teacher.
(b) Her grandparents.
(c) An aunt.
(d) Her parents.
5. Which of the following individuals is the Japanese minister of education who kills his career when he states that the Rape of Nanking is "just a part of war" in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Fujio Masayuki.
(b) Sakurai Shin.
(c) General Nagano Shigeto.
(d) Okuno Seisuki.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the War Crimes committee is created, trials for class B and C war criminals begin when?
2. Which of the following individuals is the minister for international trade who announces that Japan never intended to invade other Asian countries during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
3. Prince Mikasa Takahito wrote a confessional report about Japanese atrocities that was buried for decades. In what year does Takahito's report emerge?
4. The Japanese occupation of Nanking finally ends during what year?
5. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the Epilogue, what is one of the greatest ironies of the cold war?
2. Why are the leaders of the International Safety Zone Committee particularly well-suited to tell the real story of Nanking?
3. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
4. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
5. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
6. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
7. Explain Matsui Iwane's philosophy about China as discussed in the Epilogue.
8. Today, the Japanese government takes the position that any wartime reparation issues were dealt with in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952. Why is this position erroneous?
9. Describe Nanking's economic situation after the massacre.
10. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)