|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which US President announces on December 13 that he is shocked by the attack on the USS Panay?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) Calvin Coolidge.
(d) Herbert Hoover.
2. Chang's parents provided all BUT WHICH of the following assistance during the writing of this book?
(a) Offering advice.
(b) Reading drafts.
(c) Translating documents.
(d) Correcting information.
3. Which of the following individuals is the minister for international trade who announces that Japan never intended to invade other Asian countries during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Murayama Tomiichi.
(b) Hashimoto Ryutaro.
(c) Kim Young-sam.
(d) Kajiyama Seiroku.
4. Which of Chang's friends freely donated her time to help translate a good deal of source material?
(a) Susan Rabiner.
(b) Martha Begemann.
(c) Barbara Masin.
(d) Nancy Tong.
5. The Epilogue states that some scholars explain the horrors in Nanking and other atrocities by a phenomenon known as what?
(a) Master race mentality.
(b) Mob mentality.
(c) Uncontrollable rage.
(d) Transfer of oppression.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
2. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
3. Which of the following individuals is the Japanese minister of education who kills his career when he states that the Rape of Nanking is "just a part of war" in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
4. After Nanking, what event is pivotal in the change of relations between the United States and Japan?
5. To what problem can most of the damage in Nanking be attributed in the, "The Occupation of Nanking" chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the US response to the attack on the USS Panay?
2. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
3. According to the Epilogue, what is one of the greatest ironies of the cold war?
4. Briefly describe what happened to Robert Wilson after the Nanking massacre.
5. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
6. Describe the biological warfare used by the Japanese in an attempt to exterminate Chinese civilians.
7. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
8. When news of the atrocities in Nanking finally begin to be published in American magazines, what is the initial public response?
9. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
10. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)