|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date in 1937 do most reporters leave Nanking after the city falls to the Japanese?
(a) January 16.
(b) December 15.
(c) November 3.
(d) December 29.
2. The Epilogue states that Japanese aviators sprayed fleas carrying plague germs over all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
3. The end of "Judgment Day" states that Emperor Hirohito dies in what year?
4. Chang's book was helped along by her editor, a woman by the name of what?
(a) Nancy Tong.
(b) Martha Begemann.
(c) Barbara Masin.
(d) Susan Rabiner.
5. Chang states in "The Forgotten Holocaust" that censorship in Japan is practiced not only by the government, but also by which other entity?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month during "The Occupation of Nanking" do the Japanese open a facility for medical experiments on Nanking residents?
2. Haru Murakawa organized a workshop so that Chang could meet with several Japanese and Asians about Nanking. In what year does the workshop take place?
3. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
4. The Epilogue states that some scholars explain the horrors in Nanking and other atrocities by a phenomenon known as what?
5. One of the most high-profile trials described in chapter eight is for Tani Hisao. What military position does Hisao hold during the Rape of Nanking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the fate of John Rabe after the Nanking massacre.
2. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
3. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
4. What is the US response to the attack on the USS Panay?
5. Today, the Japanese government takes the position that any wartime reparation issues were dealt with in the San Francisco Peace Treaty in 1952. Why is this position erroneous?
6. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
7. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
8. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
9. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
10. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)