|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Acknowledgments, who does Chang say first told her about the Rape of Nanking?
(a) A teacher.
(b) Her grandparents.
(c) Her parents.
(d) An aunt.
2. One of the most high-profile trials described in chapter eight is for Tani Hisao. What military position does Hisao hold during the Rape of Nanking?
(a) Lieutenant General of 6th division.
(b) Second Lieutenant of 4th division.
(c) Colonel of 5th division.
(d) Major General of 9th division.
3. According to Chang in "The Forgotten Holocaust," what is one of the most sinister parts of Japanese education?
(a) Long school hours.
(b) Grueling exams.
(c) Textbook censorship.
(d) Rigid discipline.
4. George Fitch's daughter states that her father is so traumatized after the Rape of Nanking that what frequently occurs?
(b) Crying fits.
5. Which of the following individuals is the Japanese minister of education who kills his career when he states that the Rape of Nanking is "just a part of war" in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) General Nagano Shigeto.
(b) Okuno Seisuki.
(c) Sakurai Shin.
(d) Fujio Masayuki.
Short Answer Questions
1. Segments of the diary writer's film in "What the World Knew" are eventually included in a documentary entitled "Why We Fight: Battle of China" by which director?
2. In "Judgment Day," one of the war crimes trials held is for two lieutenants: Takeshi and Toshiaki. In what chapter of this book does "Judgment Day" say their killing contest is described?
3. To what problem can most of the damage in Nanking be attributed in the, "The Occupation of Nanking" chapter?
4. Which organization pays for Chang's trips to Asia?
5. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" does the People's Republic of China announce that it has forgiven Japan and invites the Japanese prime minister to visit China?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
2. According to the Epilogue, what is one of the greatest ironies of the cold war?
3. Briefly discuss Ishihara Shintaro's assertions set forth in "The Forgotten Holocaust" about how the Rape of Nanking is a lie.
4. Why is Matsui Iwane's behavior during his war crimes trial so puzzling?
5. Briefly describe the medical experiments conducted by the Japanese on citizens of Nanking. How many are killed in this manner?
6. When news of the atrocities in Nanking finally begin to be published in American magazines, what is the initial public response?
7. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
8. What is the US response to the attack on the USS Panay?
9. Briefly describe the International Military Tribunal for the Far East trials.
10. Describe what happened to Azuma Shiro, as discussed in "The Forgotten Holocaust."
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)