|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first diary leaked out of Nanking is published in all BUT WHICH of the following magazines?
(c) Reader's Digest.
(d) Far Eastern.
2. When news of John Rabe's situation reaches China, the Nanking survivors raise how much money in US dollars to help him?
3. The Japanese occupation of Nanking finally ends during what year?
4. One of the deadliest policies endorsed by the Japanese government during the war is the "Three-all" policy, which means all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) Kill all.
(b) Rape all.
(c) Burn all.
(d) Loot all.
5. In the Acknowledgments, who does Chang say first told her about the Rape of Nanking?
(a) Her parents.
(b) An aunt.
(c) Her grandparents.
(d) A teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what time during 1938 does "The Occupation of Nanking" say the massacre is over?
2. In what month during "The Occupation of Nanking" do the Japanese open a facility for medical experiments on Nanking residents?
3. The end of "Judgment Day" states that Emperor Hirohito dies in what year?
4. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
5. In "The Fate of the Survivors," Chang states that she is able to videotape oral testimony from Nanking survivors during what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are John Rabe's diary accounts of Nanking so explosive and important when they are finally released?
2. How does the outside world get information on the events in Nanking during "What the World Knew"?
3. According to "Judgment Day," the IMTFE tribunals uncovered crimes outside Nanking. Describe the information gained during the trials about Japanese atrocities.
4. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
5. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
6. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
7. Briefly describe the fate of Minnie Vautrin after the Nanking massacre.
8. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
9. Why is Matsui Iwane's behavior during his war crimes trial so puzzling?
10. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)