|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
2. How many women does Chang say are raped during the Japanese occupation of Nanking?
(a) Between fifteen and eighteen thousand.
(b) Between three and four hundred.
(c) Between five and six thousand.
(d) Between twenty and eighty thousand.
3. According to the Introduction, Americans think that World War II began in which year?
4. Which individual does Chang discuss third in "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
(a) American surgeon.
(b) German businessman.
(c) American missionary professor.
(d) German merchant.
5. Chang states in "Six Weeks of Terror" that one of the Japanese military leaders is known as "the masked shogun" because information about this person is scarce. To which leader does she refer?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that prior to the war, the population of Nanking is about how many people?
2. After Nanking falls, how many people are housed in the Safety Zone?
3. In his book, Lieutenant Colonel Hashimoto Kingoro wrote that Japan could escape the pressures of surplus population in all BUT WHICH of the following ways?
4. In the Foreword, what is the date given for the fall of Nanking?
5. In "The Fall of Nanking," how many divisions does the commander in charge of Nanking give authority to cross the Yangtze River?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the relationship between Chiang Kai-shek and Tang Sheng-chih at the time of the Nanking invasion?
2. What was Japan's isolationist foreign policy intended to accomplish, and in what ways did that policy backfire?
3. At what point does the author state that she became aware of the Rape of Nanking, and what caused her to doubt the accuracy of the information with which she had been presented?
4. What factors contribute to the end of Japan's golden era of prosperity, as discussed in "The Path to Nanking"?
5. Describe how Tang Shunsan was able to survive his encounter with Japanese soldiers.
6. As the Japanese army begins mass executions in Nanking, what becomes their most pressing problem, and how do they resolve it?
7. According to Chang at the end of "The Nanking Safety Zone," what is chilling about the number of refugees in the Nanking Safety Zone?
8. According to the Introduction, in what two ways was Japan's mindset as it set out to conquer neighboring nations similar to the way Nazi Germany's mindset would be a few years later? How are the two tactics related?
9. Describe the preparations the Chinese government ordered the citizens to undertake in order to prepare for possible invasions after the fall of Shanghai.
10. Briefly explain the twentieth-century Japanese cultural identity, as detailed in "The Path to Nanking."
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)