|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the author first learn about the Rape of Nanking?
(a) After getting married.
(b) As a teenager.
(c) As a little girl.
(d) During college.
2. How many women does Chang say are raped during the Japanese occupation of Nanking?
(a) Between five and six thousand.
(b) Between three and four hundred.
(c) Between twenty and eighty thousand.
(d) Between fifteen and eighteen thousand.
3. Which individual does Chang discuss third in "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
(a) German businessman.
(b) German merchant.
(c) American surgeon.
(d) American missionary professor.
4. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that Nanking prompted China to do all BUT WHICH of the following?
(d) Give up.
5. To whom does Kirby refer when he states that Ms. Chang has used the unimpeachable testimony of third-party observers?
(a) Government officials and historians.
(b) Newspapers and tabloids.
(c) Victims and perpetrators.
(d) Foreign missionaries and businessmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Japan succeeded in accomplishing war with China during the summer of which year?
2. What title does Kirby hold that qualifies him to write the Foreword for Ms. Chang's book?
3. What kind of resistance does the Japanese army meet when it gets to Nanking?
4. To whom does the leader of the Nationalists shift the responsibility for defending Nanking after the fall of Shanghai?
5. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which individual does Chang discuss second?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly explain the twentieth-century Japanese cultural identity, as detailed in "The Path to Nanking."
2. In the Introduction, Chang states that various countries view World War II as having different start dates. To what can this disagreement be attributed?
3. In what way can we now think of Nanking as a different sort of turning point, according to Kirby?
4. Describe Matsui Iwane's reaction to the events in Nanking after he was once again well enough to take command of the soldiers.
5. Briefly describe the three different occupations of Nanking.
6. Describe the process by which new Japanese soldiers were desensitized.
7. According to Chang at the end of "The Nanking Safety Zone," what is chilling about the number of refugees in the Nanking Safety Zone?
8. Briefly describe Wilhelmina (Minnie) Vautrin's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
9. Describe the preparations the Chinese government ordered the citizens to undertake in order to prepare for possible invasions after the fall of Shanghai.
10. In the Foreword, what does Kirby say was unique about the Rape of Nanking in regards to the way it was carried out?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)