Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tuberculosis strikes the first commander of the Japanese military. Who then takes over as the leader of the troops around Nanking?
2. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
(a) HMS Hastings.
(b) USS Augusta.
(c) USS Panay.
(d) HMS Fowey.
3. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
(a) Use them for bayonet practice.
(b) Mow them down with machine guns.
(c) Soak them with gasoline and burn them alive.
(d) Blindfold and bury them alive.
4. Japan succeeded in accomplishing war with China during the summer of which year?
5. According to the Introduction, Africans believe World War II began in which year?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the author first learn about the Rape of Nanking?
2. Which of the following people is alone in advocating a strong defense for Nanking in November of 1937?
3. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
4. A historian at the Jiangsu Academy of Social Sciences has compiled the most accurate estimate of how many were killed in Nanking. What figure has he reached?
5. In "The Path to Nanking," the author states that the Japanese Samurai code of conduct is called what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chang at the end of "The Nanking Safety Zone," what is chilling about the number of refugees in the Nanking Safety Zone?
2. What reasons does Chang give in the Introduction as to why the Rape of Nanking is not as well known as the Holocaust or other tragic events?
3. Why do the Japanese encourage narcotic use among the Chinese?
4. Explain the language difficulties Chang faced while finding source material for the book.
5. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
6. What contribution does Dr. Bretton Lee Douglas make to the publication of the book?
7. Describe the methods used by the Japanese army to subdue the larger Chinese population of Nanking, as described in "Six Weeks of Terror."
8. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
9. Why is Matsui Iwane's behavior during his war crimes trial so puzzling?
10. Briefly explain the twentieth-century Japanese cultural identity, as detailed in "The Path to Nanking."
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)