|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does the most violent part of the Rape of Nanking last?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Seven weeks.
(d) Six days.
2. According to Chang in "Six Weeks of Terror," what happens to the Japanese war criminals after Nanking?
(a) Fugitives from the law.
(b) Life sentences in jail.
(c) Executed many years ago.
(d) Protected by the Japanese government.
3. During the Rape of Nanking, the Japanese outdo all BUT WHICH of the following massacres?
(a) Romans at Carthage.
(b) Christians during Spanish Inquisition.
(c) Timur Lenk at Delhi.
(d) Stalin in Russia.
4. All BUT WHICH of the following groups of citizens remain in Nanking after the soldiers leave the city?
(c) Government leaders.
5. By December during the occupation, Chang states that the population of Nanking has fallen to about how many people?
(a) Fifty thousand.
(b) Four thousand.
(c) Three million.
(d) Half a million.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
2. Kirby states that Ms. Chang has drawn connections between which of the following?
3. How many women does Chang say are raped during the Japanese occupation of Nanking?
4. The commander of Nanking is supposed to be at the docks to evacuate the city by 6:00 pm. What time is it when he actually arrives?
5. Chang states in "Six Weeks of Terror" that one of the Japanese military leaders is known as "the masked shogun" because information about this person is scarce. To which leader does she refer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Japan's isolationist foreign policy intended to accomplish, and in what ways did that policy backfire?
2. What information and assistance do the surviving American and European eyewitnesses and their families give Chang?
3. What reasons does Chang give in the Introduction as to why the Rape of Nanking is not as well known as the Holocaust or other tragic events?
4. Describe the postwar differences between Japan and Germany that have allowed the Rape of Nanking to go largely unnoticed while the Holocaust is acknowledged world wide.
5. Describe the role of Chang's parents in the writing of this book.
6. According to the Epilogue, what is one of the greatest ironies of the cold war?
7. Describe the efforts of Japanese textbook editors to censor information about the Rape of Nanking in school textbooks.
8. Briefly describe the International Military Tribunal for the Far East trials.
9. Why does Emperor Hirohito never face any sort of consequence for his role in the Rape of Nanking or other events during the war?
10. As discussed in "Six Weeks of Horror," why will the world never fully understand the psychic toll taken on the women of Nanking, despite best efforts to accurately count the number of rapes?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)