|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
(b) Abandoned boats.
2. All BUT WHICH of the following groups of citizens remain in Nanking after the soldiers leave the city?
(a) Government leaders.
3. Chang states in "Six Weeks of Terror" that one of the Japanese military leaders is known as "the masked shogun" because information about this person is scarce. To which leader does she refer?
4. A German diplomat reports that many Chinese women commit suicide by jumping into the Yangtze River between 1937 and 1938. Why?
(a) They could not find work.
(b) They were pregnant with half-Japanese babies.
(c) Their husbands were angry with them for getting raped.
(d) Their families could not bear the dishonor.
5. In "Six Weeks of Horror," who is the woman who fights back against the Japanese rapists?
(a) Sun Zhaiwei.
(b) Ohta Hisao.
(c) Liu Fang-chu.
(d) Li Xouying.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Nanking falls, how many people are housed in the Safety Zone?
2. In "The Fall of Nanking," how many divisions does the commander in charge of Nanking give authority to cross the Yangtze River?
3. By December of 1937, how many Chinese troops populate the area around Nanking?
4. How long does Japan initially believe it will take to conquer mainland China?
5. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that prior to the war, the population of Nanking is about how many people?
Short Essay Questions
1. As discussed in "The Fall of Nanking," what are the reasons historians have found for why Nanking fell in four days with so many Chinese soldiers present to defend the city?
2. According to the Introduction, in what two ways was Japan's mindset as it set out to conquer neighboring nations similar to the way Nazi Germany's mindset would be a few years later? How are the two tactics related?
3. Briefly describe the five methods of torture used by the Japanese soldiers in their attempt to exterminate the population of Nanking.
4. Briefly describe John Rabe's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
5. What does the author accomplish by referring to Nanking as a "forgotten Holocaust," according to Kirby?
6. Briefly explain the twentieth-century Japanese cultural identity, as detailed in "The Path to Nanking."
7. Briefly describe Wilhelmina (Minnie) Vautrin's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
8. In the Introduction, Chang states that various countries view World War II as having different start dates. To what can this disagreement be attributed?
9. According to Chang at the end of "The Nanking Safety Zone," what is chilling about the number of refugees in the Nanking Safety Zone?
10. As discussed in "Six Weeks of Horror," why will the world never fully understand the psychic toll taken on the women of Nanking, despite best efforts to accurately count the number of rapes?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)