|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chang says in "The Fall of Nanking" that which of her own family members barely manage to stay together while evacuating Nanking?
(a) Aunt and uncle.
2. Approximately how many Chinese civilians and former soldiers are killed during the mass execution near Mufu Mountain?
3. After Nanking falls, how many people are housed in the Safety Zone?
(a) Several hundred.
(b) One thousand.
(c) Hundreds of thousands.
(d) Ten thousand.
4. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
5. The commander of Nanking is supposed to be at the docks to evacuate the city by 6:00 pm. What time is it when he actually arrives?
(a) 4:00 pm.
(b) 10:00 pm.
(c) 8:00 pm.
(d) 2:00 am.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that Japanese soldiers use all BUT WHICH of the following methods to exterminate Chinese civilians?
2. Decades later, what is still stunning about the way in which the Rape of Nanking was conducted?
3. During the Rape of Nanking, the Japanese outdo all BUT WHICH of the following massacres?
4. In which year does a group of officers launch a coup d'etat in Tokyo that kills the Prime Minister?
5. In the Introduction, Ms. Chang quotes which of the following authors as stating that to forget a holocaust is to kill twice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the responses of Japan and China when Nanking falls, as described by William Kirby in the Foreword?
2. Japan occupied Nanking for eight years and set up a government of Chinese collaborators. What was that government NOT able to accomplish during those eight years?
3. What does the author accomplish by referring to Nanking as a "forgotten Holocaust," according to Kirby?
4. Describe Matsui Iwane's reaction to the events in Nanking after he was once again well enough to take command of the soldiers.
5. Describe how Tang Shunsan was able to survive his encounter with Japanese soldiers.
6. In what way can we now think of Nanking as a different sort of turning point, according to Kirby?
7. Describe the broad time line and details of the Rape of Nanking as outlined in the Introduction.
8. According to the Introduction, in what two ways was Japan's mindset as it set out to conquer neighboring nations similar to the way Nazi Germany's mindset would be a few years later? How are the two tactics related?
9. Briefly describe Wilhelmina (Minnie) Vautrin's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
10. In the Foreword, what does Kirby say was unique about the Rape of Nanking in regards to the way it was carried out?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)