|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
(a) USS Panay.
(b) USS Augusta.
(c) HMS Hastings.
(d) HMS Fowey.
2. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
3. After completing their research, authors James Yin and Shi Young believe the Nanking death toll may be what number?
4. On which of the following persons does Chang NOT concentrate during "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
(a) American missionary professor.
(b) German businessman.
(c) American surgeon.
(d) German merchant.
5. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that Nanking prompted China to do all BUT WHICH of the following?
(b) Give up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tuberculosis strikes the first commander of the Japanese military. Who then takes over as the leader of the troops around Nanking?
2. By December during the occupation, Chang states that the population of Nanking has fallen to about how many people?
3. After Nanking falls, how many people are housed in the Safety Zone?
4. When does the author first learn about the Rape of Nanking?
5. The fall of Shanghai is a particularly hard blow to the leader of the Nationalists. Who is he?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Japan's isolationist foreign policy intended to accomplish, and in what ways did that policy backfire?
2. Briefly describe Robert Wilson's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
3. Briefly describe John Rabe's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
4. Describe how Tang Shunsan was able to survive his encounter with Japanese soldiers.
5. Briefly describe the three different occupations of Nanking.
6. Describe the attitude of Lieutenant Colonel Hashimoto Kingoro about Japan's future in his book, quoted in "The Path to Nanking."
7. Describe the preparations the Chinese government ordered the citizens to undertake in order to prepare for possible invasions after the fall of Shanghai.
8. What factors contribute to the end of Japan's golden era of prosperity, as discussed in "The Path to Nanking"?
9. As the Japanese army begins mass executions in Nanking, what becomes their most pressing problem, and how do they resolve it?
10. What does the author accomplish by referring to Nanking as a "forgotten Holocaust," according to Kirby?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)