|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date does the commander who is left in charge of Nanking receive orders from the leader of the Nationalists to abandon the city?
(a) December 29.
(b) December 11.
(c) January 3.
(d) November 26.
2. During the Rape of Nanking, the Japanese outdo all BUT WHICH of the following massacres?
(a) Romans at Carthage.
(b) Timur Lenk at Delhi.
(c) Christians during Spanish Inquisition.
(d) Stalin in Russia.
3. Japan succeeded in accomplishing war with China during the summer of which year?
4. What item has Ms. Chang found, belonging to John Rabe, that is mentioned in the Foreword?
(a) Home videos.
5. In the 12th Century, the Samurai became firmly established by which powerful Japanese family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the author NOT discover is a published book on the subject of Nanking?
2. By which decade does the author state in "The Path to Nanking" that Japan had launched an undeclared war on China?
3. "The Path to Nanking" states that Japan's golden era of prosperity comes to an end during which decade?
4. What kind of resistance does the Japanese army meet when it gets to Nanking?
5. Kirby states that all BUT WHICH of Japan's following actions took place in stark contrast to conventional rules of warfare?
Short Essay Questions
1. As discussed in "The Fall of Nanking," what are the reasons historians have found for why Nanking fell in four days with so many Chinese soldiers present to defend the city?
2. Describe the process by which new Japanese soldiers were desensitized.
3. At what point does the author state that she became aware of the Rape of Nanking, and what caused her to doubt the accuracy of the information with which she had been presented?
4. Briefly explain the twentieth-century Japanese cultural identity, as detailed in "The Path to Nanking."
5. Describe how Tang Shunsan was able to survive his encounter with Japanese soldiers.
6. What reasons does Chang give in the Introduction as to why the Rape of Nanking is not as well known as the Holocaust or other tragic events?
7. Describe the broad time line and details of the Rape of Nanking as outlined in the Introduction.
8. Briefly describe John Rabe's role in the Nanking Safety Zone.
9. Briefly describe the five methods of torture used by the Japanese soldiers in their attempt to exterminate the population of Nanking.
10. Chang states in the Introduction that the Rape of Nanking surpasses many of the world's most barbaric events. To which events does she refer, and why was Nanking worse?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)