|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following individuals is the director of the Japanese environmental agency who comments that Japan never intended to be aggressive and is forced to retract the statement in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) General Nagano Shigeto.
(b) Sakurai Shin.
(c) Fujio Masayuki.
(d) Okuno Seisuki.
2. In "The Occupation of Nanking," the Japanese use all BUT WHICH of the following tools to break open bank vaults?
(b) Pistol shots.
(c) Acetylene torches.
(d) Hand grenades.
3. By what time during 1938 does "The Occupation of Nanking" say the massacre is over?
4. The Epilogue states that some scholars explain the horrors in Nanking and other atrocities by a phenomenon known as what?
(a) Mob mentality.
(b) Transfer of oppression.
(c) Master race mentality.
(d) Uncontrollable rage.
5. Which of the following newsreel reporters are NOT on board when the USS Panay is attacked?
(a) Sandro Sandri.
(b) Normal Alley.
(c) Jean Marie Lutes.
(d) Eric Mayell.
6. After the massacre, what is the estimated financial damage to public property in Nanking?
(a) $90 thousand.
(b) $140 thousand.
(c) $836 million.
(d) $200 million.
7. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
(a) Martha Begemann.
(b) Susan Rabiner.
(c) Nancy Tong.
(d) Barbara Masin.
8. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" do seizures and a mental collapse force Robert Wilson to leave Nanking for Santa Barbara, California?
9. According to Chang in "The Forgotten Holocaust," what is one of the most sinister parts of Japanese education?
(a) Rigid discipline.
(b) Textbook censorship.
(c) Long school hours.
(d) Grueling exams.
10. Which Japanese commander bears the brunt of the blame for Nanking during the IMTFE trials?
(a) Prince Asaka.
(b) Matsui Iwane.
(c) Hirota Koki.
(d) Nakajima Kesago.
11. The Epilogue states that Japanese aviators sprayed fleas carrying plague germs over all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
12. Haru Murakawa organized a workshop so that Chang could meet with several Japanese and Asians about Nanking. In what year does the workshop take place?
13. Which of the following individuals is a cabinet secretary who claims that the rape victims were actually engaged in willful prostitution during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Hashimoto Ryutaro.
(b) Kajiyama Seiroku.
(c) Murayama Tomiichi.
(d) Kim Young-sam.
14. One of the diary writers in "What the World Knew" is able to take several reels of film and smuggle them out of Nanking on which date?
(a) March 20.
(b) January 19.
(c) November 26.
(d) December 16.
15. The Japanese occupation of Nanking finally ends during what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month during "The Occupation of Nanking" do the Japanese open a facility for medical experiments on Nanking residents?
2. Ono Kenji has co-edited a book on the Nanking massacre, the first work to be based completely on Japanese sources. During what year is the book published?
3. One of the most high-profile trials described in chapter eight is for Tani Hisao. What military position does Hisao hold during the Rape of Nanking?
4. Prince Mikasa Takahito wrote a confessional report about Japanese atrocities that was buried for decades. In what year does Takahito's report emerge?
5. To what number is the population of northern China reduced after the terror campaign in 1941?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)