|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Epilogue states that the Rape of Nanking is just one example of Japanese atrocities during how many years of war?
2. Tanaka Yuki believes that the Japanese army had great potential for brutality for two reasons. What is the first of those two reasons?
(a) Hierarchical nature of society.
(b) Lack of discipline.
(c) Cruel treatment of its own soldiers.
(d) Lack of leadership.
3. The Epilogue states that Japanese aviators sprayed fleas carrying plague germs over all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
4. On what date in 1937 do most reporters leave Nanking after the city falls to the Japanese?
(a) November 3.
(b) December 29.
(c) January 16.
(d) December 15.
5. In "The Occupation of Nanking," which country's flag is torn down six times from the University of Nanking?
6. Who is the final person Chang thanks in the Acknowledgments?
7. In "The Fate of the Survivors," Chang states that she is able to videotape oral testimony from Nanking survivors during what year?
8. "Judgment Day" states that the IMTFE is able to prosecute how many Japanese military and political officials?
9. Which of the following individuals is the minister for international trade who announces that Japan never intended to invade other Asian countries during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Hashimoto Ryutaro.
(b) Kim Young-sam.
(c) Murayama Tomiichi.
(d) Kajiyama Seiroku.
10. After the War Crimes committee is created, trials for class B and C war criminals begin when?
(a) March 1945.
(b) August 1946.
(c) September 1944.
(d) December 1945.
11. Which Japanese news outlet begins to report that all is well and that Nanking's citizens are returning home in late December during the occupation?
12. Which of the following American correspondents does Chang NOT mention in the "What the World Knew" chapter?
(a) Archibald Steele.
(b) Frank Tillman Durdin.
(c) Martha Ella Gellhorn.
(d) C. Yates McDaniel.
13. Which of the following individuals holds several government positions and is forced to resign after stating that Japan was not an aggressor during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Fujio Masayuki.
(b) General Nagano Shigeto.
(c) Okuno Seisuki.
(d) Sakurai Shin.
14. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year does Ishihara Shintaro give an interview stating that there was no massacre in Nanking?
15. Which of the following individuals is the director of the Japanese environmental agency who comments that Japan never intended to be aggressive and is forced to retract the statement in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Sakurai Shin.
(b) General Nagano Shigeto.
(c) Fujio Masayuki.
(d) Okuno Seisuki.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chang's book was helped along by her editor, a woman by the name of what?
2. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
3. After his trial, Hisao is executed in a manner that many of the Nanking survivors believe to be much more humane than anything he'd done to his victims. How is Hisao executed?
4. Which of the following individuals is the Japanese minister of education who kills his career when he states that the Rape of Nanking is "just a part of war" in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
5. When news of John Rabe's situation reaches China, the Nanking survivors raise how much money in US dollars to help him?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)