|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Epilogue states that Japanese aviators sprayed fleas carrying plague germs over all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
2. Which of Chang's friends freely donated her time to help translate a good deal of source material?
(a) Nancy Tong.
(b) Barbara Masin.
(c) Susan Rabiner.
(d) Martha Begemann.
3. In the Acknowledgments, who does Chang say first told her about the Rape of Nanking?
(a) Her parents.
(b) A teacher.
(c) An aunt.
(d) Her grandparents.
4. After Minnie Vautrin returns to the United States, she repeatedly attempts suicide. On what date does she finally succeed in ending her life?
(a) October 3, 1945.
(b) April 22, 1943.
(c) May 14, 1941.
(d) July 9, 1940.
5. After the Japanese surrender, John Rabe begins to talk openly about what he witnessed in Nanking. In response, he is arrested by all BUT WHICH of the following governments?
6. After John Rabe's death, his family finally publishes his diary. It is covered by world media on what date?
(a) May 9, 1958.
(b) July 27, 1874.
(c) October 4, 1982.
(d) December 12, 1996.
7. After his trial, Hisao is executed in a manner that many of the Nanking survivors believe to be much more humane than anything he'd done to his victims. How is Hisao executed?
(b) Lethal injection.
(c) Firing squad.
8. The end of "Judgment Day" states that Emperor Hirohito dies in what year?
9. George Fitch's daughter states that her father is so traumatized after the Rape of Nanking that what frequently occurs?
(c) Crying fits.
10. When the initial deaths are combined with deaths that occurred later but are related, one can estimate that the Japanese killed about how many Chinese people in total?
(a) 5 million.
(b) 19 million.
(c) 900 thousand.
(d) 600 thousand.
11. Japanese soldiers break into Nanking University Hospital after the massacre and steal all BUT WHICH of the following from nurses?
12. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year does Ishihara Shintaro give an interview stating that there was no massacre in Nanking?
13. In 1946, the International Military Tribunal for the Far East (IMTFE) begins trials in Tokyo. How long do those trials last?
(a) Four months.
(b) Six and a half years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two and a half years.
14. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
(a) January 1.
(b) February 6.
(c) December 28.
(d) January 20.
15. Haru Murakawa organized a workshop so that Chang could meet with several Japanese and Asians about Nanking. In what year does the workshop take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Chang frequently required assistance from others because she used source material written in all BUT WHICH of the following languages?
2. When news of John Rabe's situation reaches China, the Nanking survivors raise how much money in US dollars to help him?
3. What is the mood in Japan in response to Nanking's defeat in the early days of the occupation?
4. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
5. Chang states that her parents are the kind that most people only dream of, and that they are all BUT WHICH of the following?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)