|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When news of John Rabe's situation reaches China, the Nanking survivors raise how much money in US dollars to help him?
2. Chang states that her parents are the kind that most people only dream of, and that they are all BUT WHICH of the following?
3. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
(a) January 20.
(b) December 28.
(c) January 1.
(d) February 6.
4. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" does the People's Republic of China announce that it has forgiven Japan and invites the Japanese prime minister to visit China?
5. Japanese soldiers break into Nanking University Hospital after the massacre and steal all BUT WHICH of the following from nurses?
6. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
7. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year do Japanese textbook screeners demand that authors eliminate all reference to the number of Chinese killed?
8. "Judgment Day" states that some of the worst atrocities in Nanking are committed by which man, who dies shortly after Japan's surrender?
(a) Hirota Koki.
(b) Matsui Iwane.
(c) Prince Asaka.
(d) Nakajima Kesago.
9. The Epilogue states that some scholars explain the horrors in Nanking and other atrocities by a phenomenon known as what?
(a) Master race mentality.
(b) Uncontrollable rage.
(c) Transfer of oppression.
(d) Mob mentality.
10. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
(a) One in one hundred.
(b) One in three.
(c) One in twenty-five.
11. One of the most high-profile trials described in chapter eight is for Tani Hisao. What military position does Hisao hold during the Rape of Nanking?
(a) Colonel of 5th division.
(b) Major General of 9th division.
(c) Second Lieutenant of 4th division.
(d) Lieutenant General of 6th division.
12. Which of the following individuals is appointed to the position of justice minister, gives an interview stating that the Nanking Massacre is a hoax, and is forced to resign in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Okuno Seisuki.
(b) Fujio Masayuki.
(c) General Nagano Shigeto.
(d) Sakurai Shin.
13. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" do seizures and a mental collapse force Robert Wilson to leave Nanking for Santa Barbara, California?
14. The Global Alliance for Preserving the History of World War II in Asia assisted Chang by providing all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) Trial transcripts.
(d) Important contacts.
15. On what date in 1937 do most reporters leave Nanking after the city falls to the Japanese?
(a) December 29.
(b) December 15.
(c) November 3.
(d) January 16.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Japanese also mixed food with which of the following deadly diseases during the invasion?
2. In "Judgment Day," one of the war crimes trials held is for two lieutenants: Takeshi and Toshiaki. In what chapter of this book does "Judgment Day" say their killing contest is described?
3. After the War Crimes committee is created, trials for class B and C war criminals begin when?
4. Which of the following American correspondents does Chang NOT mention in the "What the World Knew" chapter?
5. After John Rabe's death, his family finally publishes his diary. It is covered by world media on what date?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)