|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Epilogue states that the Rape of Nanking is just one example of Japanese atrocities during how many years of war?
2. In "The Occupation of Nanking," which country's flag is torn down six times from the University of Nanking?
3. By spring of 1938, all BUT WHICH of the following functions have resumed in Nanking?
(d) Running water.
4. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
(a) January 1.
(b) February 6.
(c) December 28.
(d) January 20.
5. Who is the final person Chang thanks in the Acknowledgments?
6. Chang states that her parents are the kind that most people only dream of, and that they are all BUT WHICH of the following?
7. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
(a) Nancy Tong.
(b) Barbara Masin.
(c) Susan Rabiner.
(d) Martha Begemann.
8. In what month during "The Occupation of Nanking" do the Japanese open a facility for medical experiments on Nanking residents?
9. Which Japanese commander bears the brunt of the blame for Nanking during the IMTFE trials?
(a) Hirota Koki.
(b) Matsui Iwane.
(c) Prince Asaka.
(d) Nakajima Kesago.
10. In "The Occupation of Nanking," the Japanese use all BUT WHICH of the following tools to break open bank vaults?
(a) Hand grenades.
(b) Acetylene torches.
(d) Pistol shots.
11. To what problem can most of the damage in Nanking be attributed in the, "The Occupation of Nanking" chapter?
12. Ono Kenji has co-edited a book on the Nanking massacre, the first work to be based completely on Japanese sources. During what year is the book published?
13. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year does Ishihara Shintaro give an interview stating that there was no massacre in Nanking?
14. One of the most high-profile trials described in chapter eight is for Tani Hisao. What military position does Hisao hold during the Rape of Nanking?
(a) Major General of 9th division.
(b) Second Lieutenant of 4th division.
(c) Lieutenant General of 6th division.
(d) Colonel of 5th division.
15. The Japanese occupation of Nanking finally ends during what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Japanese also mixed food with which of the following deadly diseases during the invasion?
2. The Epilogue states that some scholars explain the horrors in Nanking and other atrocities by a phenomenon known as what?
3. After the massacre, what is the estimated financial damage to public property in Nanking?
4. Which of Chang's friends freely donated her time to help translate a good deal of source material?
5. "Judgment Day" states that some of the worst atrocities in Nanking are committed by which man, who dies shortly after Japan's surrender?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)