|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Haru Murakawa organized a workshop so that Chang could meet with several Japanese and Asians about Nanking. In what year does the workshop take place?
2. In "The Fate of the Survivors," Chang states that she is able to videotape oral testimony from Nanking survivors during what year?
3. In what month during "The Occupation of Nanking" do the Japanese open a facility for medical experiments on Nanking residents?
4. When news of John Rabe's situation reaches China, the Nanking survivors raise how much money in US dollars to help him?
5. In "Judgment Day," one of the war crimes trials held is for two lieutenants: Takeshi and Toshiaki. In what chapter of this book does "Judgment Day" say their killing contest is described?
(a) Chapter 6.
(b) Chapter 2.
(c) Chapter 8.
(d) Chapter 4.
6. As "What the World Knew" opens, how does the world know what's happening in Nanking?
(a) Reporters are there covering the story.
(b) Refugees are escaping to the West.
(c) The leaders of the Safety Zone are issuing statements.
(d) The soldiers are sending letters to their families.
7. Chang states that her parents are the kind that most people only dream of, and that they are all BUT WHICH of the following?
8. Which of the following individuals is the Japanese minister of education who kills his career when he states that the Rape of Nanking is "just a part of war" in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Okuno Seisuki.
(b) Sakurai Shin.
(c) General Nagano Shigeto.
(d) Fujio Masayuki.
9. Which organization pays for Chang's trips to Asia?
(a) Pacific Cultural Foundation.
(b) National Archives.
(c) Yale Divinity School.
(d) Institute of Modern History.
10. Which of the following American correspondents does Chang NOT mention in the "What the World Knew" chapter?
(a) Martha Ella Gellhorn.
(b) Frank Tillman Durdin.
(c) Archibald Steele.
(d) C. Yates McDaniel.
11. What is the mood in Japan in response to Nanking's defeat in the early days of the occupation?
12. Segments of the diary writer's film in "What the World Knew" are eventually included in a documentary entitled "Why We Fight: Battle of China" by which director?
(a) George Fitch.
(b) John Rabe.
(c) Frank Capra.
(d) John Magee.
13. At the end of "The Forgotten Holocaust," Azuma Shiro becomes the first Japanese veteran to apologize for his role in Nanking. During what year does this occur?
14. On what date in 1937 do most reporters leave Nanking after the city falls to the Japanese?
(a) December 29.
(b) November 3.
(c) December 15.
(d) January 16.
15. Which of the following newsreel reporters are NOT on board when the USS Panay is attacked?
(a) Eric Mayell.
(b) Sandro Sandri.
(c) Normal Alley.
(d) Jean Marie Lutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second factor that Tanaka Yuko cites as the reason the Japanese army had such potential for brutality?
2. The Epilogue states that the Rape of Nanking is just one example of Japanese atrocities during how many years of war?
3. On December 15, 1938, Japanese soldiers force five thousand refugees to line up so they can steal how much money from them?
4. Chang's book was helped along by her editor, a woman by the name of what?
5. The Japanese occupation of Nanking finally ends during what year?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)