|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the deadliest policies endorsed by the Japanese government during the war is the "Three-all" policy, which means all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) Rape all.
(b) Kill all.
(c) Loot all.
(d) Burn all.
2. When the initial deaths are combined with deaths that occurred later but are related, one can estimate that the Japanese killed about how many Chinese people in total?
(a) 900 thousand.
(b) 19 million.
(c) 600 thousand.
(d) 5 million.
3. Japanese soldiers break into Nanking University Hospital after the massacre and steal all BUT WHICH of the following from nurses?
4. One of the diary writers in "What the World Knew" is able to take several reels of film and smuggle them out of Nanking on which date?
(a) March 20.
(b) December 16.
(c) January 19.
(d) November 26.
5. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
6. The US Department of Justice has compiled a list of Japanese war criminals in order to keep those people from entering the country. In what year is the watch list made?
7. Which of the following newsreel reporters are NOT on board when the USS Panay is attacked?
(a) Jean Marie Lutes.
(b) Sandro Sandri.
(c) Eric Mayell.
(d) Normal Alley.
8. On what date in 1937 do most reporters leave Nanking after the city falls to the Japanese?
(a) November 3.
(b) December 29.
(c) December 15.
(d) January 16.
9. According to the Epilogue, millions of victims died after the war was over from starvation and disease caused by all BUT WHICH of the following Japanese actions?
(c) Medical experiments.
10. The Japanese occupation of Nanking finally ends during what year?
11. Chang states that during her visit to Nanking, she discovers that reparations from Japan in what amount would make a huge difference for the survivors?
12. The first diary leaked out of Nanking is published in all BUT WHICH of the following magazines?
(a) Reader's Digest.
(b) Far Eastern.
13. Chang's parents provided all BUT WHICH of the following assistance during the writing of this book?
(a) Offering advice.
(b) Translating documents.
(c) Correcting information.
(d) Reading drafts.
14. To what problem can most of the damage in Nanking be attributed in the, "The Occupation of Nanking" chapter?
15. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
(a) Martha Begemann.
(b) Susan Rabiner.
(c) Nancy Tong.
(d) Barbara Masin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month during "The Occupation of Nanking" do the Japanese open a facility for medical experiments on Nanking residents?
2. After the Japanese surrender, John Rabe begins to talk openly about what he witnessed in Nanking. In response, he is arrested by all BUT WHICH of the following governments?
3. Which of the following American correspondents does Chang NOT mention in the "What the World Knew" chapter?
4. The Global Alliance for Preserving the History of World War II in Asia assisted Chang by providing all BUT WHICH of the following?
5. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)