|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second factor that Tanaka Yuko cites as the reason the Japanese army had such potential for brutality?
(a) Lack of discipline.
(b) Lack of leadership.
(c) Cruel treatment of its own soldiers.
(d) Hierarchical nature of society.
2. After the massacre, what is the estimated financial damage to public property in Nanking?
(a) $90 thousand.
(b) $200 million.
(c) $836 million.
(d) $140 thousand.
3. Chang's parents provided all BUT WHICH of the following assistance during the writing of this book?
(a) Reading drafts.
(b) Correcting information.
(c) Offering advice.
(d) Translating documents.
4. At the end of "The Forgotten Holocaust," Azuma Shiro becomes the first Japanese veteran to apologize for his role in Nanking. During what year does this occur?
5. Chang states that her parents are the kind that most people only dream of, and that they are all BUT WHICH of the following?
6. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
7. In "What the World Knew," Chang presents diary or letter responses to the Japanese propaganda from all BUT WHICH of the following individuals?
(a) George Fitch.
(b) Lewis Smythe.
(c) James McCallum.
(d) Minnie Vautrin.
8. Which of the following individuals is the director of the Japanese environmental agency who comments that Japan never intended to be aggressive and is forced to retract the statement in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Okuno Seisuki.
(b) Fujio Masayuki.
(c) General Nagano Shigeto.
(d) Sakurai Shin.
9. Which of the following women loans Chang materials from a documentary she filmed?
(a) Nancy Tong.
(b) Martha Begemann.
(c) Barbara Masin.
(d) Susan Rabiner.
10. How does the American public initially respond when the article entitled "The Sack of Nanking" is published in magazines in the US?
11. After the War Crimes committee is created, trials for class B and C war criminals begin when?
(a) March 1945.
(b) September 1944.
(c) August 1946.
(d) December 1945.
12. Which of the following individuals is appointed to the position of justice minister, gives an interview stating that the Nanking Massacre is a hoax, and is forced to resign in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) General Nagano Shigeto.
(b) Okuno Seisuki.
(c) Fujio Masayuki.
(d) Sakurai Shin.
13. In 1941, the Japanese army launched a campaign of terror in northern China. What was the population of northern China prior to this campaign?
(a) 16 million.
(b) 105 million.
(c) 44 million.
(d) 25 million.
14. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year do Japanese textbook screeners demand that authors eliminate all reference to the number of Chinese killed?
15. "Judgment Day" states that the IMTFE is able to prosecute how many Japanese military and political officials?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Nanking, what event is pivotal in the change of relations between the United States and Japan?
2. Which of the following individuals is the minister for international trade who announces that Japan never intended to invade other Asian countries during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
3. According to the Epilogue, millions of victims died after the war was over from starvation and disease caused by all BUT WHICH of the following Japanese actions?
4. Tanaka Yuki believes that the Japanese army had great potential for brutality for two reasons. What is the first of those two reasons?
5. By spring of 1938, all BUT WHICH of the following functions have resumed in Nanking?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)