|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his trial, Hisao is executed in a manner that many of the Nanking survivors believe to be much more humane than anything he'd done to his victims. How is Hisao executed?
(c) Firing squad.
(d) Lethal injection.
2. At the end of "The Forgotten Holocaust," Azuma Shiro becomes the first Japanese veteran to apologize for his role in Nanking. During what year does this occur?
3. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" do seizures and a mental collapse force Robert Wilson to leave Nanking for Santa Barbara, California?
4. The Epilogue states that the Rape of Nanking is just one example of Japanese atrocities during how many years of war?
5. "Judgment Day" states that some of the worst atrocities in Nanking are committed by which man, who dies shortly after Japan's surrender?
(a) Nakajima Kesago.
(b) Prince Asaka.
(c) Matsui Iwane.
(d) Hirota Koki.
6. The Epilogue states that Japanese aviators sprayed fleas carrying plague germs over all BUT WHICH of the following cities?
7. On December 15, 1938, Japanese soldiers force five thousand refugees to line up so they can steal how much money from them?
8. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
9. "The Fate of the Survivors" states that many of the victims of Nanking continue to suffer all BUT WHICH of the following?
10. The end of "Judgment Day" states that Emperor Hirohito dies in what year?
11. The Japanese occupation of Nanking finally ends during what year?
12. In 1946, the International Military Tribunal for the Far East (IMTFE) begins trials in Tokyo. How long do those trials last?
(a) Four months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two and a half years.
(d) Six and a half years.
13. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" does the People's Republic of China announce that it has forgiven Japan and invites the Japanese prime minister to visit China?
14. Which of the following American correspondents does Chang NOT mention in the "What the World Knew" chapter?
(a) C. Yates McDaniel.
(b) Martha Ella Gellhorn.
(c) Archibald Steele.
(d) Frank Tillman Durdin.
15. To what problem can most of the damage in Nanking be attributed in the, "The Occupation of Nanking" chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. By what time during 1938 does "The Occupation of Nanking" say the massacre is over?
2. Segments of the diary writer's film in "What the World Knew" are eventually included in a documentary entitled "Why We Fight: Battle of China" by which director?
3. After the massacre, what is the estimated financial damage to public property in Nanking?
4. Which Japanese news outlet begins to report that all is well and that Nanking's citizens are returning home in late December during the occupation?
5. After Minnie Vautrin returns to the United States, she repeatedly attempts suicide. On what date does she finally succeed in ending her life?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)