|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year do Japanese textbook screeners demand that authors eliminate all reference to the number of Chinese killed?
2. Which of the following individuals holds several government positions and is forced to resign after stating that Japan was not an aggressor during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Sakurai Shin.
(b) Okuno Seisuki.
(c) General Nagano Shigeto.
(d) Fujio Masayuki.
3. How does the American public initially respond when the article entitled "The Sack of Nanking" is published in magazines in the US?
4. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
(a) Martha Begemann.
(b) Susan Rabiner.
(c) Barbara Masin.
(d) Nancy Tong.
5. In "The Fate of the Survivors," Chang states that she is able to videotape oral testimony from Nanking survivors during what year?
6. After the massacre, what is the estimated financial damage to public property in Nanking?
(a) $836 million.
(b) $90 thousand.
(c) $140 thousand.
(d) $200 million.
7. The Epilogue states that the Rape of Nanking is just one example of Japanese atrocities during how many years of war?
8. In "The Occupation of Nanking," which country's flag is torn down six times from the University of Nanking?
9. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
10. On what date in 1937 do most reporters leave Nanking after the city falls to the Japanese?
(a) November 3.
(b) January 16.
(c) December 29.
(d) December 15.
11. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" does the People's Republic of China announce that it has forgiven Japan and invites the Japanese prime minister to visit China?
12. One of the most high-profile trials described in chapter eight is for Tani Hisao. What military position does Hisao hold during the Rape of Nanking?
(a) Lieutenant General of 6th division.
(b) Colonel of 5th division.
(c) Second Lieutenant of 4th division.
(d) Major General of 9th division.
13. "Judgment Day" states that some of the worst atrocities in Nanking are committed by which man, who dies shortly after Japan's surrender?
(a) Matsui Iwane.
(b) Hirota Koki.
(c) Nakajima Kesago.
(d) Prince Asaka.
14. Which of Chang's friends freely donated her time to help translate a good deal of source material?
(a) Martha Begemann.
(b) Barbara Masin.
(c) Nancy Tong.
(d) Susan Rabiner.
15. During the IMTFE trials, the court determines that what ratio of prisoners of war die under the Japanese?
(a) One in one hundred.
(c) One in three.
(d) One in twenty-five.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chang in "The Forgotten Holocaust," what is one of the most sinister parts of Japanese education?
2. By spring of 1938, all BUT WHICH of the following functions have resumed in Nanking?
3. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" do seizures and a mental collapse force Robert Wilson to leave Nanking for Santa Barbara, California?
4. In what month during "The Occupation of Nanking" do the Japanese open a facility for medical experiments on Nanking residents?
5. In "The Fate of the Survivors," during what year does Lewis Smythe leave his job at Nanking University for Lexington Theological Seminary in Kentucky?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)