|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tanaka Yuki believes that the Japanese army had great potential for brutality for two reasons. What is the first of those two reasons?
(a) Lack of leadership.
(b) Lack of discipline.
(c) Hierarchical nature of society.
(d) Cruel treatment of its own soldiers.
2. After the War Crimes committee is created, trials for class B and C war criminals begin when?
(a) September 1944.
(b) March 1945.
(c) August 1946.
(d) December 1945.
3. After the massacre, the Japanese create a new government in Nanking. On what date is the Nanking Self-Government Committee created?
(a) January 20.
(b) December 28.
(c) January 1.
(d) February 6.
4. In the Acknowledgments, who does Chang say first told her about the Rape of Nanking?
(a) Her grandparents.
(b) A teacher.
(c) An aunt.
(d) Her parents.
5. The Global Alliance for Preserving the History of World War II in Asia assisted Chang by providing all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) Trial transcripts.
(c) Important contacts.
6. The end of "Judgment Day" states that Emperor Hirohito dies in what year?
7. "The Fate of the Survivors" states that many of the victims of Nanking continue to suffer all BUT WHICH of the following?
8. Which of the following women helps Chang find the descendants of John Rabe?
(a) Barbara Masin.
(b) Nancy Tong.
(c) Martha Begemann.
(d) Susan Rabiner.
9. Who is the final person Chang thanks in the Acknowledgments?
10. Which of the following individuals is the Japanese minister of education who kills his career when he states that the Rape of Nanking is "just a part of war" in "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Sakurai Shin.
(b) Okuno Seisuki.
(c) Fujio Masayuki.
(d) General Nagano Shigeto.
11. In 1946, the International Military Tribunal for the Far East (IMTFE) begins trials in Tokyo. How long do those trials last?
(a) Two and a half years.
(b) Four months.
(c) One year.
(d) Six and a half years.
12. George Fitch's daughter states that her father is so traumatized after the Rape of Nanking that what frequently occurs?
(b) Crying fits.
13. The US Department of Justice has compiled a list of Japanese war criminals in order to keep those people from entering the country. In what year is the watch list made?
14. Chang states in "The Forgotten Holocaust" that censorship in Japan is practiced not only by the government, but also by which other entity?
15. Segments of the diary writer's film in "What the World Knew" are eventually included in a documentary entitled "Why We Fight: Battle of China" by which director?
(a) Frank Capra.
(b) John Magee.
(c) John Rabe.
(d) George Fitch.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what problem can most of the damage in Nanking be attributed in the, "The Occupation of Nanking" chapter?
2. In "What the World Knew," Chang presents diary or letter responses to the Japanese propaganda from all BUT WHICH of the following individuals?
3. In 1941, the Japanese army launched a campaign of terror in northern China. What was the population of northern China prior to this campaign?
4. What is the mood in Japan in response to Nanking's defeat in the early days of the occupation?
5. The first diary leaked out of Nanking is published in all BUT WHICH of the following magazines?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)