|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Occupation of Nanking," which country's flag is torn down six times from the University of Nanking?
2. According to the Epilogue, millions of victims died after the war was over from starvation and disease caused by all BUT WHICH of the following Japanese actions?
(d) Medical experiments.
3. Which Japanese news outlet begins to report that all is well and that Nanking's citizens are returning home in late December during the occupation?
4. The Japanese occupation of Nanking finally ends during what year?
5. "Judgment Day" states that the Investigation of War Crimes committee is created when?
(a) September 1942.
(b) February 1943.
(c) October 1945.
(d) March 1944.
6. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year do Japanese textbook screeners demand that authors eliminate all reference to the number of Chinese killed?
7. In "The Forgotten Holocaust," during what year does Ishihara Shintaro give an interview stating that there was no massacre in Nanking?
8. In "The Fate of the Survivors," during what year does Lewis Smythe leave his job at Nanking University for Lexington Theological Seminary in Kentucky?
9. Japanese soldiers break into Nanking University Hospital after the massacre and steal all BUT WHICH of the following from nurses?
10. Chang states in "The Forgotten Holocaust" that censorship in Japan is practiced not only by the government, but also by which other entity?
11. Chang states that during her visit to Nanking, she discovers that reparations from Japan in what amount would make a huge difference for the survivors?
12. In order to control the population after the massacre, the Japanese routinely use what as payment to the Chinese?
13. In "What the World Knew," Chang presents diary or letter responses to the Japanese propaganda from all BUT WHICH of the following individuals?
(a) James McCallum.
(b) Minnie Vautrin.
(c) George Fitch.
(d) Lewis Smythe.
14. After his trial, Hisao is executed in a manner that many of the Nanking survivors believe to be much more humane than anything he'd done to his victims. How is Hisao executed?
(b) Firing squad.
(c) Lethal injection.
15. Which of the following individuals is the minister for international trade who announces that Japan never intended to invade other Asian countries during "The Forgotten Holocaust"?
(a) Kajiyama Seiroku.
(b) Hashimoto Ryutaro.
(c) Kim Young-sam.
(d) Murayama Tomiichi.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year during "The Fate of the Survivors" does the People's Republic of China announce that it has forgiven Japan and invites the Japanese prime minister to visit China?
2. The Epilogue states that some scholars explain the horrors in Nanking and other atrocities by a phenomenon known as what?
3. At the end of "The Forgotten Holocaust," Azuma Shiro becomes the first Japanese veteran to apologize for his role in Nanking. During what year does this occur?
4. In the Acknowledgments, who does Chang say first told her about the Rape of Nanking?
5. Tanaka Yuki believes that the Japanese army had great potential for brutality for two reasons. What is the first of those two reasons?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)