|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Fall of Nanking," how many divisions does the commander in charge of Nanking give authority to cross the Yangtze River?
2. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
(b) Abandoned boats.
3. In comparison to Germany, what percentage of war reparations has Japan paid the victims of Nanking?
(a) More than 50%.
(c) About 15%.
(d) Less than 1%.
4. Tuberculosis strikes the first commander of the Japanese military. Who then takes over as the leader of the troops around Nanking?
5. What nationality is John Rabe?
6. Chang states in "Six Weeks of Terror" that one of the Japanese military leaders is known as "the masked shogun" because information about this person is scarce. To which leader does she refer?
7. In "The Path to Nanking," the author states that the Japanese Samurai code of conduct is called what?
8. To which atmosphere could the elementary schools of Japan best be compared?
(c) Home school.
9. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that prior to the war, the population of Nanking is about how many people?
(a) One million.
(b) One hundred thousand.
(c) Six million.
(d) Eight thousand.
10. By which decade does the author state in "The Path to Nanking" that Japan had launched an undeclared war on China?
11. According to the Introduction, Africans believe World War II began in which year?
12. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which individual does Chang first discuss?
(a) American surgeon.
(b) German businessman.
(c) German merchant.
(d) American missionary professor.
13. In the 12th Century, the Samurai became firmly established by which powerful Japanese family?
14. Approximately how many Chinese civilians and former soldiers are killed during the mass execution near Mufu Mountain?
15. When the Nanking Safety Zone is initially set up, how long does the International Committee intend for it to be open?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two days.
(d) A few weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which of the following persons does Chang NOT concentrate during "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
2. The commander of Nanking is supposed to be at the docks to evacuate the city by 6:00 pm. What time is it when he actually arrives?
3. Looting in the Safety Zone makes food so scarce that refugees are forced to eat all BUT WHICH of the following?
4. According to Chang in "Six Weeks of Terror," what happens to the Japanese war criminals after Nanking?
5. Decades later, what is still stunning about the way in which the Rape of Nanking was conducted?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)