|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the geographical area mentioned as the main site of the Japanese/Chinese conflict at the time Nanking fell?
(a) Hunan Gorge.
(b) Suzhou Plains.
(c) Yangtze Valley.
(d) Sichuan Valley.
2. Which of the following does the author NOT discover is a published book on the subject of Nanking?
(a) Two Months of Terror.
(b) Undeniable History in Photographs.
(c) Tend of Orange Mist.
(d) Tree of Heaven.
3. Which of the following people is alone in advocating a strong defense for Nanking in November of 1937?
(a) Chang Tien-Chun.
(b) Frank Xing.
(c) Chiang Kai-shek.
(d) Tang Sheng-chih.
4. Shao Tzuping, one of the producers of a documentary on The Rape of Nanking, had served in all BUT WHICH of the following positions?
(a) Producer of "Magee's Testament".
(b) Worked for the United Nations.
(c) Government official in China.
(d) President of the Alliance in Memory of Victims.
5. What kind of resistance does the Japanese army meet when it gets to Nanking?
(b) Practically nonexistent.
(c) Nearly impossible to match.
(d) Not well-organized.
6. In what year does Japan withdraw from the League of Nations?
7. After completing their research, authors James Yin and Shi Young believe the Nanking death toll may be what number?
8. The Foreword mentions that the Rape of Nanking has haunted Chinese-Japanese relations for how many years?
(a) Forty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Ninety years.
(d) Sixty years.
9. Which of the following military commanders is initially in charge of the Japanese imperial army for the Shanghai-Nanking region?
10. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
(a) Mow them down with machine guns.
(b) Use them for bayonet practice.
(c) Blindfold and bury them alive.
(d) Soak them with gasoline and burn them alive.
11. Kirby states that Ms. Chang has drawn connections between which of the following?
(a) American ignorance and Asian arrogance.
(b) Japanese and Chinese crimes.
(c) Slaughter in Europe and Asia.
(d) Events in America and Europe.
12. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that Japanese soldiers use all BUT WHICH of the following methods to exterminate Chinese civilians?
(a) Death by dogs.
(b) Death by ice.
(c) Death by starvation.
(d) Death by fire.
13. By December during the occupation, Chang states that the population of Nanking has fallen to about how many people?
(a) Three million.
(b) Fifty thousand.
(c) Half a million.
(d) Four thousand.
14. According to Kirby, what motivates the Japanese soldiers to behave in such a horrible manner?
(a) They were tired of the war.
(b) We may never know.
(c) They hated and feared the Chinese.
(d) Soldiers were unsupervised.
15. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chang in "Six Weeks of Terror," what happens to the Japanese war criminals after Nanking?
2. What title does Kirby hold that qualifies him to write the Foreword for Ms. Chang's book?
3. For how long does the most violent part of the Rape of Nanking last?
4. During the Rape of Nanking, the Japanese outdo all BUT WHICH of the following massacres?
5. In "Six Weeks of Terror," what is the primary Japanese strategy for the invasion of Nanking?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)