|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By December of 1937, how many Chinese troops populate the area around Nanking?
2. Shao Tzuping, one of the producers of a documentary on The Rape of Nanking, had served in all BUT WHICH of the following positions?
(a) Worked for the United Nations.
(b) Government official in China.
(c) Producer of "Magee's Testament".
(d) President of the Alliance in Memory of Victims.
3. As discussed in "Six Weeks of Horror," Wu Tienwei believes that the actual death toll in Nanking may be what number?
4. According to Ms. Chang, why is the Rape of Nanking not as well known as the Holocaust or Hiroshima?
(a) The victims stayed silent.
(b) The Japanese killed all the witnesses.
(c) The Chinese were ashamed of the incident.
(d) There were not as many deaths.
5. In the Foreword, what is the date given for the fall of Nanking?
(a) November 8.
(b) December 13.
(c) October 4.
(d) December 25.
6. After completing their research, authors James Yin and Shi Young believe the Nanking death toll may be what number?
7. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
8. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that the Rape of Nanking accomplished what in the eyes of the world?
(a) Turned public opinion against Japan.
(b) Turned public opinion against China.
(c) Turned public opinion against both Japan and China.
(d) Had no effect on public opinion.
9. In "The Fall of Nanking," how many divisions does the commander in charge of Nanking give authority to cross the Yangtze River?
10. What is the geographical area mentioned as the main site of the Japanese/Chinese conflict at the time Nanking fell?
(a) Sichuan Valley.
(b) Suzhou Plains.
(c) Hunan Gorge.
(d) Yangtze Valley.
11. Most of the Zone leaders have no bodyguard experience, and yet they accomplish all BUT WHICH of the following actions anyway?
(a) Keeping young girls from being kidnapped.
(b) Jumping in front of cannons and machine guns.
(c) Rescuing women from rapists.
(d) Pulling men away from execution sites.
12. In comparison to Germany, what percentage of war reparations has Japan paid the victims of Nanking?
(a) About 15%.
(b) More than 50%.
(c) Less than 1%.
13. According to the Introduction, Europeans date the beginning of World War II in which year?
14. According to Chang in "Six Weeks of Terror," what happens to the Japanese war criminals after Nanking?
(a) Executed many years ago.
(b) Protected by the Japanese government.
(c) Life sentences in jail.
(d) Fugitives from the law.
15. During which year does the author say she first realized the Nanking massacre was historically accurate and not simply myth?
Short Answer Questions
1. On which of the following persons does Chang NOT concentrate during "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
2. In his book, Lieutenant Colonel Hashimoto Kingoro wrote that Japan could escape the pressures of surplus population in all BUT WHICH of the following ways?
3. Which Chinese city is known as "the Venice of China" and is completely devastated by the Japanese army?
4. On what date does the commander who is left in charge of Nanking receive orders from the leader of the Nationalists to abandon the city?
5. Decades later, what is still stunning about the way in which the Rape of Nanking was conducted?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)