|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of resistance does the Japanese army meet when it gets to Nanking?
(a) Not well-organized.
(b) Practically nonexistent.
(c) Nearly impossible to match.
2. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
3. According to the Introduction, Africans believe World War II began in which year?
4. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
(b) Abandoned boats.
5. When does the author first learn about the Rape of Nanking?
(a) After getting married.
(b) As a teenager.
(c) As a little girl.
(d) During college.
6. During the Rape of Nanking, the Japanese outdo all BUT WHICH of the following massacres?
(a) Stalin in Russia.
(b) Timur Lenk at Delhi.
(c) Romans at Carthage.
(d) Christians during Spanish Inquisition.
7. By which decade does the author state in "The Path to Nanking" that Japan had launched an undeclared war on China?
8. What motto sums up the mindset that Japanese cadets were taught to adopt?
(a) "A will which knows no defeat."
(b) "The weak must be destroyed."
(c) "Japan will rule the world."
(d) "The greatest honor is to kill Chinese."
9. A historian at the Jiangsu Academy of Social Sciences has compiled the most accurate estimate of how many were killed in Nanking. What figure has he reached?
10. What World War II event has helped the world believe the myth that Japan was a victim and not an instigator?
(a) Pearl Harbor.
11. Looting in the Safety Zone makes food so scarce that refugees are forced to eat all BUT WHICH of the following?
12. What is the geographical area mentioned as the main site of the Japanese/Chinese conflict at the time Nanking fell?
(a) Suzhou Plains.
(b) Hunan Gorge.
(c) Yangtze Valley.
(d) Sichuan Valley.
13. What title does Kirby hold that qualifies him to write the Foreword for Ms. Chang's book?
(a) President of Yale University.
(b) President of Princeton.
(c) Professor of Modern Chinese History.
(d) Professor of Modern Japanese History.
14. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which individual does Chang first discuss?
(a) American missionary professor.
(b) German businessman.
(c) German merchant.
(d) American surgeon.
15. According to the Introduction, Europeans date the beginning of World War II in which year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Decades later, what is still stunning about the way in which the Rape of Nanking was conducted?
2. According to Chang in "Six Weeks of Terror," what happens to the Japanese war criminals after Nanking?
3. For Asian nations, World War II can be dated from which year?
4. Ms. Chang informs the reader that the Rape of Nanking is told from all BUT WHICH of the following points of view?
5. After the Japanese victory at Shanghai, Chinese officials do all BUT WHICH of the following to prepare for possible attacks elsewhere?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)