|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1938, Foreign Minister Hirota Koki sends a message indicating that, a month after the massacre, the Japanese believe the Nanking death total to be what number?
2. On what date does the commander who is left in charge of Nanking receive orders from the leader of the Nationalists to abandon the city?
(a) November 26.
(b) December 11.
(c) January 3.
(d) December 29.
3. What does the Japanese government do in response to the mass rape committed by soldiers in Nanking?
(a) Put more responsible officers on duty.
(b) Reward rapists.
(c) Set up brothels.
(d) Reprimand rapists.
4. Chang says in "The Fall of Nanking" that which of her own family members barely manage to stay together while evacuating Nanking?
(a) Aunt and uncle.
5. The fall of Shanghai is a particularly hard blow to the leader of the Nationalists. Who is he?
(a) Tang Sheng-chih.
(b) Chang Tien-Chun.
(c) Chiang Kai-shek.
(d) Frank Xing.
6. How long does Japan initially believe it will take to conquer mainland China?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) One year.
7. All BUT WHICH of the following groups of citizens remain in Nanking after the soldiers leave the city?
(b) Government leaders.
8. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that Nanking prompted China to do all BUT WHICH of the following?
(b) Give up.
9. During which year does the author say she first realized the Nanking massacre was historically accurate and not simply myth?
10. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which individual does Chang discuss second?
(a) German merchant.
(b) American surgeon.
(c) American missionary professor.
(d) German businessman.
11. In what year does Japan withdraw from the League of Nations?
12. To which infamous Nazi is Nakajima Kesago compared in the "Six Weeks of Terror" chapter?
13. What nationality is John Rabe?
14. In "Six Weeks of Terror," what is the primary Japanese strategy for the invasion of Nanking?
(a) Convince the Korean military to assist in the invasion.
(b) Take advantage of Nanking's geography.
(c) Take advantage of Nanking's trust.
(d) Sneak in during the night before Nanking realizes what's happening.
15. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
(a) Mow them down with machine guns.
(b) Blindfold and bury them alive.
(c) Use them for bayonet practice.
(d) Soak them with gasoline and burn them alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Japanese imperial army major who writes a report of confession while awaiting trial for his crimes?
2. According to Chang in "Six Weeks of Terror," what happens to the Japanese war criminals after Nanking?
3. In "The Path to Nanking," the author states that the Japanese Samurai code of conduct is called what?
4. According to the Introduction, Americans think that World War II began in which year?
5. As discussed in "Six Weeks of Horror," Wu Tienwei believes that the actual death toll in Nanking may be what number?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)