|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of resistance does the Japanese army meet when it gets to Nanking?
(a) Practically nonexistent.
(c) Nearly impossible to match.
(d) Not well-organized.
2. What can be considered ironic about John Rabe as a defender of the Safety Zone?
(a) He is a Nazi.
(b) He is Japanese.
(c) He doesn't speak any Asian languages.
(d) He accomplishes good by accident.
3. In his book, Lieutenant Colonel Hashimoto Kingoro wrote that Japan could escape the pressures of surplus population in all BUT WHICH of the following ways?
(a) Greater food production.
(c) Advance into world markets.
(d) Territory expansion.
4. What World War II event has helped the world believe the myth that Japan was a victim and not an instigator?
(b) Pearl Harbor.
5. In what year does Japan withdraw from the League of Nations?
6. What event does the author mention in the Introduction that prompted many Nanking survivors to speak out about the massacre?
(a) Pacification of Manchukuo.
(b) Tiananmen Square.
(c) Long March.
(d) Opium War.
7. For Asian nations, World War II can be dated from which year?
8. The Foreword states that the occupation of Nanking was supposed to be a turning point for the Japanese in the struggle against which leader's armies?
(a) Tang Sheng-chih.
(b) Chiang Kai-shek.
(c) Asaka Yasuhiko.
(d) Nakajima Kesago.
9. Chang states in "Six Weeks of Terror" that one of the Japanese military leaders is known as "the masked shogun" because information about this person is scarce. To which leader does she refer?
10. Approximately how many Chinese civilians and former soldiers are killed during the mass execution near Mufu Mountain?
11. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which individual does Chang first discuss?
(a) German businessman.
(b) American missionary professor.
(c) American surgeon.
(d) German merchant.
12. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which of the following do the International Committee members NOT have to provide for the refugees in the Safety Zone?
(c) Medical care.
13. In the 12th Century, the Samurai became firmly established by which powerful Japanese family?
14. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which individual does Chang discuss second?
(a) German businessman.
(b) American surgeon.
(c) German merchant.
(d) American missionary professor.
15. Which individual does Chang discuss third in "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
(a) German merchant.
(b) German businessman.
(c) American missionary professor.
(d) American surgeon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that Japanese soldiers use all BUT WHICH of the following methods to exterminate Chinese civilians?
2. Who is the Japanese imperial army major who writes a report of confession while awaiting trial for his crimes?
3. Which Chinese city is known as "the Venice of China" and is completely devastated by the Japanese army?
4. In "The Fall of Nanking," how many divisions does the commander in charge of Nanking give authority to cross the Yangtze River?
5. Japan succeeded in accomplishing war with China during the summer of which year?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)