|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By December during the occupation, Chang states that the population of Nanking has fallen to about how many people?
(a) Half a million.
(b) Three million.
(c) Fifty thousand.
(d) Four thousand.
2. Ms. Chang informs the reader that the Rape of Nanking is told from all BUT WHICH of the following points of view?
(a) American/European observers.
(b) Japanese military.
(c) Chinese victims.
(d) Nazi government.
3. In "Six Weeks of Horror," who is the woman who fights back against the Japanese rapists?
(a) Ohta Hisao.
(b) Li Xouying.
(c) Sun Zhaiwei.
(d) Liu Fang-chu.
4. "The Path to Nanking" states that Japan's golden era of prosperity comes to an end during which decade?
5. Which individual does Chang discuss third in "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
(a) American missionary professor.
(b) American surgeon.
(c) German merchant.
(d) German businessman.
6. On which of the following persons does Chang NOT concentrate during "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
(a) German merchant.
(b) American missionary professor.
(c) German businessman.
(d) American surgeon.
7. How many women does Chang say are raped during the Japanese occupation of Nanking?
(a) Between fifteen and eighteen thousand.
(b) Between five and six thousand.
(c) Between three and four hundred.
(d) Between twenty and eighty thousand.
8. According to Kirby, what motivates the Japanese soldiers to behave in such a horrible manner?
(a) Soldiers were unsupervised.
(b) They were tired of the war.
(c) We may never know.
(d) They hated and feared the Chinese.
9. All BUT WHICH of the following groups of citizens remain in Nanking after the soldiers leave the city?
(b) Government leaders.
10. The Foreword states that the occupation of Nanking was supposed to be a turning point for the Japanese in the struggle against which leader's armies?
(a) Chiang Kai-shek.
(b) Tang Sheng-chih.
(c) Nakajima Kesago.
(d) Asaka Yasuhiko.
11. When the Nanking Safety Zone is initially set up, how long does the International Committee intend for it to be open?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two days.
12. What nationality is John Rabe?
13. Which of the following does the author NOT discover is a published book on the subject of Nanking?
(a) Undeniable History in Photographs.
(b) Two Months of Terror.
(c) Tree of Heaven.
(d) Tend of Orange Mist.
14. For how long does the most violent part of the Rape of Nanking last?
(a) Six days.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Seven weeks.
(d) Two years.
15. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
(a) Use them for bayonet practice.
(b) Blindfold and bury them alive.
(c) Soak them with gasoline and burn them alive.
(d) Mow them down with machine guns.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
2. In the Foreword, what is the date given for the fall of Nanking?
3. Chang says in "The Fall of Nanking" that which of her own family members barely manage to stay together while evacuating Nanking?
4. What World War II event has helped the world believe the myth that Japan was a victim and not an instigator?
5. Most of the Zone leaders have no bodyguard experience, and yet they accomplish all BUT WHICH of the following actions anyway?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)