|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does the author NOT discover is a published book on the subject of Nanking?
(a) Tree of Heaven.
(b) Two Months of Terror.
(c) Undeniable History in Photographs.
(d) Tend of Orange Mist.
2. What title does Kirby hold that qualifies him to write the Foreword for Ms. Chang's book?
(a) President of Princeton.
(b) Professor of Modern Japanese History.
(c) President of Yale University.
(d) Professor of Modern Chinese History.
3. By December of 1937, how many Chinese troops populate the area around Nanking?
4. How many women does Chang say are raped during the Japanese occupation of Nanking?
(a) Between twenty and eighty thousand.
(b) Between five and six thousand.
(c) Between three and four hundred.
(d) Between fifteen and eighteen thousand.
5. After the Japanese victory at Shanghai, Chinese officials do all BUT WHICH of the following to prepare for possible attacks elsewhere?
(a) Order residents to camouflage homes.
(b) Hold practice air-raid drills.
(c) Have citizens build bomb shelters.
(d) Order civilians out of the cities.
6. The fall of Shanghai is a particularly hard blow to the leader of the Nationalists. Who is he?
(a) Frank Xing.
(b) Chang Tien-Chun.
(c) Chiang Kai-shek.
(d) Tang Sheng-chih.
7. According to the Introduction, Americans think that World War II began in which year?
8. On what date does the commander who is left in charge of Nanking receive orders from the leader of the Nationalists to abandon the city?
(a) December 29.
(b) November 26.
(c) January 3.
(d) December 11.
9. In the Introduction, the author cites what fact as her primary motivation for writing this book?
(a) Japanese distortion of history.
(b) American ignorance of the massacre.
(c) African massacres.
(d) Chinese indifference to the victims.
10. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which individual does Chang first discuss?
(a) American surgeon.
(b) German businessman.
(c) German merchant.
(d) American missionary professor.
11. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that the Rape of Nanking accomplished what in the eyes of the world?
(a) Turned public opinion against Japan.
(b) Turned public opinion against China.
(c) Had no effect on public opinion.
(d) Turned public opinion against both Japan and China.
12. Chang states in "Six Weeks of Terror" that one of the Japanese military leaders is known as "the masked shogun" because information about this person is scarce. To which leader does she refer?
13. What World War II event has helped the world believe the myth that Japan was a victim and not an instigator?
(a) Pearl Harbor.
14. According to Kirby, what motivates the Japanese soldiers to behave in such a horrible manner?
(a) Soldiers were unsupervised.
(b) We may never know.
(c) They were tired of the war.
(d) They hated and feared the Chinese.
15. A German diplomat reports that many Chinese women commit suicide by jumping into the Yangtze River between 1937 and 1938. Why?
(a) Their husbands were angry with them for getting raped.
(b) Their families could not bear the dishonor.
(c) They could not find work.
(d) They were pregnant with half-Japanese babies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
2. Tuberculosis strikes the first commander of the Japanese military. Who then takes over as the leader of the troops around Nanking?
3. What nationality is John Rabe?
4. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
5. All BUT WHICH of the following groups of citizens remain in Nanking after the soldiers leave the city?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)