|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to Kirby, is Ms. Chang's book so important?
(a) It is the only historical account written by a woman.
(b) The book brought great publicity to Chinese Americans.
(c) The incident has largely been forgotten in the West.
(d) No one has ever talked about the event before.
2. The Foreword mentions that the Rape of Nanking has haunted Chinese-Japanese relations for how many years?
(a) Ninety years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Sixty years.
(d) Forty years.
3. After the order to retreat is given, what route is left open to leave Nanking without encountering Japanese soldiers?
4. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
5. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
6. To whom does Kirby refer when he states that Ms. Chang has used the unimpeachable testimony of third-party observers?
(a) Victims and perpetrators.
(b) Newspapers and tabloids.
(c) Government officials and historians.
(d) Foreign missionaries and businessmen.
7. Why do the Japanese soldiers generally kill the women they rape after they've finished?
(a) They don't want to pay the women their fee.
(b) Rape is officially prohibited by military command.
(c) So that angry husbands won't know who to blame.
(d) In order to relieve the dishonor for the woman's family.
8. Looting in the Safety Zone makes food so scarce that refugees are forced to eat all BUT WHICH of the following?
9. All BUT WHICH of the following groups of citizens remain in Nanking after the soldiers leave the city?
(b) Government leaders.
10. During which year does the author say she first realized the Nanking massacre was historically accurate and not simply myth?
11. In what year does Japan withdraw from the League of Nations?
12. For how many years does the conflict between China and Japan last?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Eight years.
13. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which of the following do the International Committee members NOT have to provide for the refugees in the Safety Zone?
(c) Medical care.
14. According to the Introduction, Americans think that World War II began in which year?
15. What nationality is John Rabe?
Short Answer Questions
1. Decades later, what is still stunning about the way in which the Rape of Nanking was conducted?
2. A historian at the Jiangsu Academy of Social Sciences has compiled the most accurate estimate of how many were killed in Nanking. What figure has he reached?
3. Chang says in "The Fall of Nanking" that which of her own family members barely manage to stay together while evacuating Nanking?
4. What event does the author mention in the Introduction that prompted many Nanking survivors to speak out about the massacre?
5. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that Nanking prompted China to do all BUT WHICH of the following?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)