|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most of the Zone leaders have no bodyguard experience, and yet they accomplish all BUT WHICH of the following actions anyway?
(a) Keeping young girls from being kidnapped.
(b) Jumping in front of cannons and machine guns.
(c) Rescuing women from rapists.
(d) Pulling men away from execution sites.
2. In "The Fall of Nanking," Chang states that Nanking has been occupied by foreign armies how many times?
3. During which year does the author say she first realized the Nanking massacre was historically accurate and not simply myth?
4. The fall of Shanghai is a particularly hard blow to the leader of the Nationalists. Who is he?
(a) Chiang Kai-shek.
(b) Chang Tien-Chun.
(c) Frank Xing.
(d) Tang Sheng-chih.
5. After the Japanese victory at Shanghai, Chinese officials do all BUT WHICH of the following to prepare for possible attacks elsewhere?
(a) Have citizens build bomb shelters.
(b) Order civilians out of the cities.
(c) Hold practice air-raid drills.
(d) Order residents to camouflage homes.
6. In "Six Weeks of Horror," who is the woman who fights back against the Japanese rapists?
(a) Ohta Hisao.
(b) Sun Zhaiwei.
(c) Liu Fang-chu.
(d) Li Xouying.
7. How long does Japan initially believe it will take to conquer mainland China?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
8. In "Six Weeks of Terror," what is the primary Japanese strategy for the invasion of Nanking?
(a) Take advantage of Nanking's geography.
(b) Convince the Korean military to assist in the invasion.
(c) Sneak in during the night before Nanking realizes what's happening.
(d) Take advantage of Nanking's trust.
9. A historian at the Jiangsu Academy of Social Sciences has compiled the most accurate estimate of how many were killed in Nanking. What figure has he reached?
10. After Nanking falls, how many people are housed in the Safety Zone?
(a) Ten thousand.
(b) One thousand.
(c) Several hundred.
(d) Hundreds of thousands.
11. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
12. In what year does Japan withdraw from the League of Nations?
13. Which Chinese city is known as "the Venice of China" and is completely devastated by the Japanese army?
14. According to Chang in "Six Weeks of Terror," what happens to the Japanese war criminals after Nanking?
(a) Life sentences in jail.
(b) Executed many years ago.
(c) Protected by the Japanese government.
(d) Fugitives from the law.
15. Which individual does Chang discuss third in "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
(a) American missionary professor.
(b) German merchant.
(c) American surgeon.
(d) German businessman.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which of the following persons does Chang NOT concentrate during "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
2. Decades later, what is still stunning about the way in which the Rape of Nanking was conducted?
3. According to the Introduction, Americans think that World War II began in which year?
4. In the Introduction, the author cites what fact as her primary motivation for writing this book?
5. Kirby states that all BUT WHICH of Japan's following actions took place in stark contrast to conventional rules of warfare?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)