|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ms. Chang, why is the Rape of Nanking not as well known as the Holocaust or Hiroshima?
(a) The Chinese were ashamed of the incident.
(b) There were not as many deaths.
(c) The victims stayed silent.
(d) The Japanese killed all the witnesses.
2. According to the Introduction, Africans believe World War II began in which year?
3. By December during the occupation, Chang states that the population of Nanking has fallen to about how many people?
(a) Half a million.
(b) Three million.
(c) Four thousand.
(d) Fifty thousand.
4. Approximately how many Chinese civilians and former soldiers are killed during the mass execution near Mufu Mountain?
5. In "Six Weeks of Terror," what is the primary Japanese strategy for the invasion of Nanking?
(a) Sneak in during the night before Nanking realizes what's happening.
(b) Convince the Korean military to assist in the invasion.
(c) Take advantage of Nanking's trust.
(d) Take advantage of Nanking's geography.
6. The Foreword states that the occupation of Nanking was supposed to be a turning point for the Japanese in the struggle against which leader's armies?
(a) Chiang Kai-shek.
(b) Tang Sheng-chih.
(c) Nakajima Kesago.
(d) Asaka Yasuhiko.
7. Which Chinese city is known as "the Venice of China" and is completely devastated by the Japanese army?
8. What nationality is John Rabe?
9. On which of the following persons does Chang NOT concentrate during "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
(a) German businessman.
(b) American surgeon.
(c) American missionary professor.
(d) German merchant.
10. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that prior to the war, the population of Nanking is about how many people?
(a) Eight thousand.
(b) Six million.
(c) One hundred thousand.
(d) One million.
11. "The Path to Nanking" states that Japan's golden era of prosperity comes to an end during which decade?
12. What World War II event has helped the world believe the myth that Japan was a victim and not an instigator?
(b) Pearl Harbor.
13. By which decade does the author state in "The Path to Nanking" that Japan had launched an undeclared war on China?
14. For Asian nations, World War II can be dated from which year?
15. In comparison to Germany, what percentage of war reparations has Japan paid the victims of Nanking?
(a) About 15%.
(b) Less than 1%.
(c) More than 50%.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Japanese soldiers generally kill the women they rape after they've finished?
2. What event does the author mention in the Introduction that prompted many Nanking survivors to speak out about the massacre?
3. When does the author first learn about the Rape of Nanking?
4. What is the geographical area mentioned as the main site of the Japanese/Chinese conflict at the time Nanking fell?
5. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)