|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Six Weeks of Horror," who is the woman who fights back against the Japanese rapists?
(a) Li Xouying.
(b) Ohta Hisao.
(c) Sun Zhaiwei.
(d) Liu Fang-chu.
2. In which year does a group of officers launch a coup d'etat in Tokyo that kills the Prime Minister?
3. According to the Introduction, Europeans date the beginning of World War II in which year?
4. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
(d) Abandoned boats.
5. The Foreword mentions that the Rape of Nanking has haunted Chinese-Japanese relations for how many years?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Ninety years.
(c) Forty years.
(d) Sixty years.
6. What does the Japanese government do in response to the mass rape committed by soldiers in Nanking?
(a) Set up brothels.
(b) Put more responsible officers on duty.
(c) Reward rapists.
(d) Reprimand rapists.
7. In "Six Weeks of Terror," what is the primary Japanese strategy for the invasion of Nanking?
(a) Convince the Korean military to assist in the invasion.
(b) Take advantage of Nanking's geography.
(c) Sneak in during the night before Nanking realizes what's happening.
(d) Take advantage of Nanking's trust.
8. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
(a) Blindfold and bury them alive.
(b) Soak them with gasoline and burn them alive.
(c) Use them for bayonet practice.
(d) Mow them down with machine guns.
9. In what year does Japan withdraw from the League of Nations?
10. For how many years does the conflict between China and Japan last?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Three years.
11. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that the Rape of Nanking accomplished what in the eyes of the world?
(a) Turned public opinion against both Japan and China.
(b) Turned public opinion against Japan.
(c) Had no effect on public opinion.
(d) Turned public opinion against China.
12. When does the author first learn about the Rape of Nanking?
(a) As a little girl.
(b) As a teenager.
(c) During college.
(d) After getting married.
13. In "The Fall of Nanking," Chang states that Nanking has been occupied by foreign armies how many times?
14. For how long does the most violent part of the Rape of Nanking last?
(a) Seven weeks.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Six days.
15. After completing their research, authors James Yin and Shi Young believe the Nanking death toll may be what number?
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Chang informs the reader that the Rape of Nanking is told from all BUT WHICH of the following points of view?
2. Which of the following people is alone in advocating a strong defense for Nanking in November of 1937?
3. To which infamous Nazi is Nakajima Kesago compared in the "Six Weeks of Terror" chapter?
4. Approximately how many Chinese civilians and former soldiers are killed during the mass execution near Mufu Mountain?
5. The commander of Nanking is supposed to be at the docks to evacuate the city by 6:00 pm. What time is it when he actually arrives?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)