|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Japan initially believe it will take to conquer mainland China?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One year.
2. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which individual does Chang discuss second?
(a) German businessman.
(b) American surgeon.
(c) German merchant.
(d) American missionary professor.
3. Toward the end of "The Nanking Safety Zone," Chang states that the Safety Zone holds about how many refugees?
(a) Nine to twelve hundred.
(b) Three to four hundred.
(c) Two to three hundred thousand.
(d) Six to eight hundred.
4. The fall of Shanghai is a particularly hard blow to the leader of the Nationalists. Who is he?
(a) Chiang Kai-shek.
(b) Chang Tien-Chun.
(c) Frank Xing.
(d) Tang Sheng-chih.
5. A German diplomat reports that many Chinese women commit suicide by jumping into the Yangtze River between 1937 and 1938. Why?
(a) They were pregnant with half-Japanese babies.
(b) Their husbands were angry with them for getting raped.
(c) They could not find work.
(d) Their families could not bear the dishonor.
6. By December of 1937, how many Chinese troops populate the area around Nanking?
7. When the Nanking Safety Zone is initially set up, how long does the International Committee intend for it to be open?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two days.
(d) A few weeks.
8. What kind of resistance does the Japanese army meet when it gets to Nanking?
(a) Not well-organized.
(c) Practically nonexistent.
(d) Nearly impossible to match.
9. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that Nanking prompted China to do all BUT WHICH of the following?
(a) Give up.
10. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
11. After the Japanese victory at Shanghai, Chinese officials do all BUT WHICH of the following to prepare for possible attacks elsewhere?
(a) Order residents to camouflage homes.
(b) Hold practice air-raid drills.
(c) Have citizens build bomb shelters.
(d) Order civilians out of the cities.
12. In "Six Weeks of Horror," who is the woman who fights back against the Japanese rapists?
(a) Li Xouying.
(b) Liu Fang-chu.
(c) Sun Zhaiwei.
(d) Ohta Hisao.
13. In which year does a group of officers launch a coup d'etat in Tokyo that kills the Prime Minister?
14. What motto sums up the mindset that Japanese cadets were taught to adopt?
(a) "A will which knows no defeat."
(b) "The greatest honor is to kill Chinese."
(c) "The weak must be destroyed."
(d) "Japan will rule the world."
15. According to the Introduction, Europeans date the beginning of World War II in which year?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Introduction, the author cites what fact as her primary motivation for writing this book?
2. What nationality is John Rabe?
3. In the Foreword, what is the date given for the fall of Nanking?
4. In the 12th Century, the Samurai became firmly established by which powerful Japanese family?
5. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that prior to the war, the population of Nanking is about how many people?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)