|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
(a) Blindfold and bury them alive.
(b) Use them for bayonet practice.
(c) Mow them down with machine guns.
(d) Soak them with gasoline and burn them alive.
2. How long does Japan initially believe it will take to conquer mainland China?
(a) Six months.
(b) Three months.
(c) One year.
(d) Two weeks.
3. Which of the following people is alone in advocating a strong defense for Nanking in November of 1937?
(a) Chiang Kai-shek.
(b) Tang Sheng-chih.
(c) Frank Xing.
(d) Chang Tien-Chun.
4. Decades later, what is still stunning about the way in which the Rape of Nanking was conducted?
(a) It was a public rampage.
(b) It went on for so long.
(c) It was limited to the military population.
(d) It was very short.
5. In the 12th Century, the Samurai became firmly established by which powerful Japanese family?
6. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
7. How many women does Chang say are raped during the Japanese occupation of Nanking?
(a) Between five and six thousand.
(b) Between fifteen and eighteen thousand.
(c) Between three and four hundred.
(d) Between twenty and eighty thousand.
8. Why do the Japanese soldiers generally kill the women they rape after they've finished?
(a) They don't want to pay the women their fee.
(b) So that angry husbands won't know who to blame.
(c) In order to relieve the dishonor for the woman's family.
(d) Rape is officially prohibited by military command.
9. For how long does the most violent part of the Rape of Nanking last?
(a) Two years.
(b) Seven weeks.
(c) Six days.
(d) Twelve months.
10. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that prior to the war, the population of Nanking is about how many people?
(a) One million.
(b) Eight thousand.
(c) One hundred thousand.
(d) Six million.
11. Why, according to Kirby, is Ms. Chang's book so important?
(a) It is the only historical account written by a woman.
(b) The book brought great publicity to Chinese Americans.
(c) No one has ever talked about the event before.
(d) The incident has largely been forgotten in the West.
12. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which of the following do the International Committee members NOT have to provide for the refugees in the Safety Zone?
(a) Medical care.
13. After Nanking falls, how many people are housed in the Safety Zone?
(a) Several hundred.
(b) Ten thousand.
(c) Hundreds of thousands.
(d) One thousand.
14. What kind of resistance does the Japanese army meet when it gets to Nanking?
(a) Nearly impossible to match.
(b) Practically nonexistent.
(d) Not well-organized.
15. For how many years does the conflict between China and Japan last?
(a) Two years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which individual does Chang discuss third in "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
2. Shao Tzuping, one of the producers of a documentary on The Rape of Nanking, had served in all BUT WHICH of the following positions?
3. By December of 1937, how many Chinese troops populate the area around Nanking?
4. What is the geographical area mentioned as the main site of the Japanese/Chinese conflict at the time Nanking fell?
5. After the Japanese victory at Shanghai, Chinese officials do all BUT WHICH of the following to prepare for possible attacks elsewhere?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)