|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kirby states that Ms. Chang has drawn connections between which of the following?
(a) Events in America and Europe.
(b) Japanese and Chinese crimes.
(c) Slaughter in Europe and Asia.
(d) American ignorance and Asian arrogance.
2. What can be considered ironic about John Rabe as a defender of the Safety Zone?
(a) He is a Nazi.
(b) He accomplishes good by accident.
(c) He is Japanese.
(d) He doesn't speak any Asian languages.
3. Chang says in "The Fall of Nanking" that which of her own family members barely manage to stay together while evacuating Nanking?
(a) Aunt and uncle.
4. After the Japanese victory at Shanghai, Chinese officials do all BUT WHICH of the following to prepare for possible attacks elsewhere?
(a) Have citizens build bomb shelters.
(b) Order residents to camouflage homes.
(c) Order civilians out of the cities.
(d) Hold practice air-raid drills.
5. What item has Ms. Chang found, belonging to John Rabe, that is mentioned in the Foreword?
(c) Home videos.
6. Ms. Chang informs the reader that the Rape of Nanking is told from all BUT WHICH of the following points of view?
(a) American/European observers.
(b) Chinese victims.
(c) Japanese military.
(d) Nazi government.
7. All BUT WHICH of the following groups of citizens remain in Nanking after the soldiers leave the city?
(a) Government leaders.
8. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
(d) Abandoned boats.
9. What title does Kirby hold that qualifies him to write the Foreword for Ms. Chang's book?
(a) Professor of Modern Chinese History.
(b) Professor of Modern Japanese History.
(c) President of Princeton.
(d) President of Yale University.
10. According to the Introduction, Europeans date the beginning of World War II in which year?
11. How long does Japan initially believe it will take to conquer mainland China?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) Three months.
12. Tuberculosis strikes the first commander of the Japanese military. Who then takes over as the leader of the troops around Nanking?
13. In "The Fall of Nanking," Chang states that Nanking has been occupied by foreign armies how many times?
14. In which year does a group of officers launch a coup d'etat in Tokyo that kills the Prime Minister?
15. Why, according to Kirby, is Ms. Chang's book so important?
(a) The incident has largely been forgotten in the West.
(b) No one has ever talked about the event before.
(c) It is the only historical account written by a woman.
(d) The book brought great publicity to Chinese Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
2. When does the author first learn about the Rape of Nanking?
3. What motto sums up the mindset that Japanese cadets were taught to adopt?
4. For how long does the most violent part of the Rape of Nanking last?
5. "The Path to Nanking" states that Japan's golden era of prosperity comes to an end during which decade?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)