|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As discussed in "Six Weeks of Horror," Wu Tienwei believes that the actual death toll in Nanking may be what number?
2. For how long does the most violent part of the Rape of Nanking last?
(a) Seven weeks.
(b) Six days.
(c) Two years.
(d) Twelve months.
3. In the 12th Century, the Samurai became firmly established by which powerful Japanese family?
4. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
5. To whom does the leader of the Nationalists shift the responsibility for defending Nanking after the fall of Shanghai?
(a) Chang Tien-Chun.
(b) Frank Xing.
(c) Tang Sheng-chih.
(d) Chiang Kai-shek.
6. What nationality is John Rabe?
7. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
(b) Abandoned boats.
8. The commander of Nanking is supposed to be at the docks to evacuate the city by 6:00 pm. What time is it when he actually arrives?
(a) 8:00 pm.
(b) 10:00 pm.
(c) 2:00 am.
(d) 4:00 pm.
9. Kirby states that all BUT WHICH of Japan's following actions took place in stark contrast to conventional rules of warfare?
(a) Rape of civilians.
(b) Execution of civilians.
(d) Execution of soldiers.
10. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
(a) USS Panay.
(b) USS Augusta.
(c) HMS Fowey.
(d) HMS Hastings.
11. Ms. Chang informs the reader that the Rape of Nanking is told from all BUT WHICH of the following points of view?
(a) Chinese victims.
(b) Japanese military.
(c) American/European observers.
(d) Nazi government.
12. Decades later, what is still stunning about the way in which the Rape of Nanking was conducted?
(a) It was limited to the military population.
(b) It went on for so long.
(c) It was very short.
(d) It was a public rampage.
13. Which Chinese city is known as "the Venice of China" and is completely devastated by the Japanese army?
14. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that the Rape of Nanking accomplished what in the eyes of the world?
(a) Turned public opinion against both Japan and China.
(b) Had no effect on public opinion.
(c) Turned public opinion against China.
(d) Turned public opinion against Japan.
15. How long does Japan initially believe it will take to conquer mainland China?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that Nanking prompted China to do all BUT WHICH of the following?
2. Who is the Japanese imperial army major who writes a report of confession while awaiting trial for his crimes?
3. All BUT WHICH of the following groups of citizens remain in Nanking after the soldiers leave the city?
4. What event does the author mention in the Introduction that prompted many Nanking survivors to speak out about the massacre?
5. The fall of Shanghai is a particularly hard blow to the leader of the Nationalists. Who is he?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)