|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Foreword mentions that the Rape of Nanking has haunted Chinese-Japanese relations for how many years?
(a) Forty years.
(b) Ninety years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Sixty years.
2. What title does Kirby hold that qualifies him to write the Foreword for Ms. Chang's book?
(a) Professor of Modern Chinese History.
(b) President of Yale University.
(c) President of Princeton.
(d) Professor of Modern Japanese History.
3. What motto sums up the mindset that Japanese cadets were taught to adopt?
(a) "The greatest honor is to kill Chinese."
(b) "Japan will rule the world."
(c) "A will which knows no defeat."
(d) "The weak must be destroyed."
4. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
5. According to Chang in "Six Weeks of Terror," what happens to the Japanese war criminals after Nanking?
(a) Fugitives from the law.
(b) Executed many years ago.
(c) Protected by the Japanese government.
(d) Life sentences in jail.
6. What event does the author mention in the Introduction that prompted many Nanking survivors to speak out about the massacre?
(a) Opium War.
(b) Tiananmen Square.
(c) Pacification of Manchukuo.
(d) Long March.
7. Kirby states that Ms. Chang has drawn connections between which of the following?
(a) American ignorance and Asian arrogance.
(b) Events in America and Europe.
(c) Japanese and Chinese crimes.
(d) Slaughter in Europe and Asia.
8. What can be considered ironic about John Rabe as a defender of the Safety Zone?
(a) He accomplishes good by accident.
(b) He doesn't speak any Asian languages.
(c) He is a Nazi.
(d) He is Japanese.
9. According to the Introduction, Africans believe World War II began in which year?
10. Chang says in "The Fall of Nanking" that which of her own family members barely manage to stay together while evacuating Nanking?
(a) Aunt and uncle.
11. To which atmosphere could the elementary schools of Japan best be compared?
(c) Home school.
12. In "The Fall of Nanking," Chang states that Nanking has been occupied by foreign armies how many times?
13. In his book, Lieutenant Colonel Hashimoto Kingoro wrote that Japan could escape the pressures of surplus population in all BUT WHICH of the following ways?
(a) Territory expansion.
(c) Greater food production.
(d) Advance into world markets.
14. For how many years does the conflict between China and Japan last?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Three years.
15. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that the Rape of Nanking accomplished what in the eyes of the world?
(a) Turned public opinion against Japan.
(b) Turned public opinion against both Japan and China.
(c) Had no effect on public opinion.
(d) Turned public opinion against China.
Short Answer Questions
1. A German diplomat reports that many Chinese women commit suicide by jumping into the Yangtze River between 1937 and 1938. Why?
2. According to Kirby, what motivates the Japanese soldiers to behave in such a horrible manner?
3. In "Six Weeks of Terror," what is the primary Japanese strategy for the invasion of Nanking?
4. In the Foreword, what is the date given for the fall of Nanking?
5. Which of the following people is alone in advocating a strong defense for Nanking in November of 1937?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)