|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tuberculosis strikes the first commander of the Japanese military. Who then takes over as the leader of the troops around Nanking?
2. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
(a) HMS Hastings.
(b) USS Augusta.
(c) USS Panay.
(d) HMS Fowey.
3. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
(a) Use them for bayonet practice.
(b) Mow them down with machine guns.
(c) Soak them with gasoline and burn them alive.
(d) Blindfold and bury them alive.
4. Japan succeeded in accomplishing war with China during the summer of which year?
5. According to the Introduction, Africans believe World War II began in which year?
6. When does the author first learn about the Rape of Nanking?
(a) After getting married.
(b) During college.
(c) As a teenager.
(d) As a little girl.
7. Which of the following people is alone in advocating a strong defense for Nanking in November of 1937?
(a) Tang Sheng-chih.
(b) Chiang Kai-shek.
(c) Frank Xing.
(d) Chang Tien-Chun.
8. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
9. A historian at the Jiangsu Academy of Social Sciences has compiled the most accurate estimate of how many were killed in Nanking. What figure has he reached?
10. In "The Path to Nanking," the author states that the Japanese Samurai code of conduct is called what?
11. In the Introduction, the author cites what fact as her primary motivation for writing this book?
(a) American ignorance of the massacre.
(b) Chinese indifference to the victims.
(c) African massacres.
(d) Japanese distortion of history.
12. Why do the Japanese soldiers generally kill the women they rape after they've finished?
(a) In order to relieve the dishonor for the woman's family.
(b) They don't want to pay the women their fee.
(c) Rape is officially prohibited by military command.
(d) So that angry husbands won't know who to blame.
13. Which of the following military commanders is initially in charge of the Japanese imperial army for the Shanghai-Nanking region?
14. "The Path to Nanking" states that Japan's golden era of prosperity comes to an end during which decade?
15. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
Short Answer Questions
1. A German diplomat reports that many Chinese women commit suicide by jumping into the Yangtze River between 1937 and 1938. Why?
2. In comparison to Germany, what percentage of war reparations has Japan paid the victims of Nanking?
3. According to Ms. Chang, why is the Rape of Nanking not as well known as the Holocaust or Hiroshima?
4. What is the geographical area mentioned as the main site of the Japanese/Chinese conflict at the time Nanking fell?
5. Approximately how many Chinese civilians and former soldiers are killed during the mass execution near Mufu Mountain?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)