|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ms. Chang, why is the Rape of Nanking not as well known as the Holocaust or Hiroshima?
(a) The Japanese killed all the witnesses.
(b) The Chinese were ashamed of the incident.
(c) There were not as many deaths.
(d) The victims stayed silent.
2. In "Six Weeks of Horror," who is the woman who fights back against the Japanese rapists?
(a) Ohta Hisao.
(b) Liu Fang-chu.
(c) Sun Zhaiwei.
(d) Li Xouying.
3. By December of 1937, how many Chinese troops populate the area around Nanking?
4. In what year does China's war with Japan end?
5. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
6. When the Nanking Safety Zone is initially set up, how long does the International Committee intend for it to be open?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two days.
(d) One year.
7. In "The Path to Nanking," the author states that the Japanese Samurai code of conduct is called what?
8. For Asian nations, World War II can be dated from which year?
9. Approximately how many Chinese civilians and former soldiers are killed during the mass execution near Mufu Mountain?
10. In the 12th Century, the Samurai became firmly established by which powerful Japanese family?
11. In "The Fall of Nanking," how many divisions does the commander in charge of Nanking give authority to cross the Yangtze River?
12. Chang states in "Six Weeks of Terror" that one of the Japanese military leaders is known as "the masked shogun" because information about this person is scarce. To which leader does she refer?
13. According to Chang in "Six Weeks of Terror," what happens to the Japanese war criminals after Nanking?
(a) Executed many years ago.
(b) Fugitives from the law.
(c) Life sentences in jail.
(d) Protected by the Japanese government.
14. To which infamous Nazi is Nakajima Kesago compared in the "Six Weeks of Terror" chapter?
15. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which of the following do the International Committee members NOT have to provide for the refugees in the Safety Zone?
(b) Medical care.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people is alone in advocating a strong defense for Nanking in November of 1937?
2. To whom does the leader of the Nationalists shift the responsibility for defending Nanking after the fall of Shanghai?
3. Why do the Japanese soldiers generally kill the women they rape after they've finished?
4. For how long does the most violent part of the Rape of Nanking last?
5. Which individual does Chang discuss third in "The Nanking Safety Zone" chapter?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)