|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Nanking Safety Zone is initially set up, how long does the International Committee intend for it to be open?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two days.
(c) One year.
(d) A few weeks.
2. After the Japanese victory at Shanghai, Chinese officials do all BUT WHICH of the following to prepare for possible attacks elsewhere?
(a) Order residents to camouflage homes.
(b) Order civilians out of the cities.
(c) Have citizens build bomb shelters.
(d) Hold practice air-raid drills.
3. When Nanking falls, Japanese soldiers round up tens of thousands of Chinese men and commit all BUT WHICH of the following atrocities?
(a) Mow them down with machine guns.
(b) Soak them with gasoline and burn them alive.
(c) Use them for bayonet practice.
(d) Blindfold and bury them alive.
4. All BUT WHICH of the following groups of citizens remain in Nanking after the soldiers leave the city?
(d) Government leaders.
5. Looting in the Safety Zone makes food so scarce that refugees are forced to eat all BUT WHICH of the following?
6. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that Japanese soldiers use all BUT WHICH of the following methods to exterminate Chinese civilians?
(a) Death by starvation.
(b) Death by fire.
(c) Death by ice.
(d) Death by dogs.
7. In what year does Japan withdraw from the League of Nations?
8. Japan succeeded in accomplishing war with China during the summer of which year?
9. According to the Introduction, Europeans date the beginning of World War II in which year?
10. Who is the Japanese imperial army major who writes a report of confession while awaiting trial for his crimes?
(a) Ohta Hisao.
(b) Sun Zhaiwei.
(c) Liu Fang-chu.
(d) Li Xouying.
11. To which atmosphere could the elementary schools of Japan best be compared?
(b) Home school.
12. For how many years does the conflict between China and Japan last?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
13. According to Kirby, what motivates the Japanese soldiers to behave in such a horrible manner?
(a) We may never know.
(b) Soldiers were unsupervised.
(c) They were tired of the war.
(d) They hated and feared the Chinese.
14. Kirby mentions in the Foreword that the Rape of Nanking accomplished what in the eyes of the world?
(a) Had no effect on public opinion.
(b) Turned public opinion against Japan.
(c) Turned public opinion against both Japan and China.
(d) Turned public opinion against China.
15. The Foreword states that the occupation of Nanking was supposed to be a turning point for the Japanese in the struggle against which leader's armies?
(a) Chiang Kai-shek.
(b) Asaka Yasuhiko.
(c) Nakajima Kesago.
(d) Tang Sheng-chih.
Short Answer Questions
1. A German diplomat reports that many Chinese women commit suicide by jumping into the Yangtze River between 1937 and 1938. Why?
2. In 1938, Foreign Minister Hirota Koki sends a message indicating that, a month after the massacre, the Japanese believe the Nanking death total to be what number?
3. In the Foreword, what is the date given for the fall of Nanking?
4. On December 13, 1937, Japanese soldiers are ordered to execute all Chinese prisoners of war for all BUT WHICH of the following reasons?
5. The Foreword mentions that the Rape of Nanking has haunted Chinese-Japanese relations for how many years?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)