|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following military commanders is initially in charge of the Japanese imperial army for the Shanghai-Nanking region?
2. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that prior to the war, the population of Nanking is about how many people?
(a) One million.
(b) One hundred thousand.
(c) Six million.
(d) Eight thousand.
3. What motto sums up the mindset that Japanese cadets were taught to adopt?
(a) "The greatest honor is to kill Chinese."
(b) "The weak must be destroyed."
(c) "Japan will rule the world."
(d) "A will which knows no defeat."
4. According to the Introduction, Americans think that World War II began in which year?
5. In "The Fall of Nanking," Chang states that Nanking has been occupied by foreign armies how many times?
6. In what year does Japan withdraw from the League of Nations?
7. When the Nanking Safety Zone is initially set up, how long does the International Committee intend for it to be open?
(a) One year.
(b) Two days.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) Six months.
8. Looting in the Safety Zone makes food so scarce that refugees are forced to eat all BUT WHICH of the following?
9. A historian at the Jiangsu Academy of Social Sciences has compiled the most accurate estimate of how many were killed in Nanking. What figure has he reached?
10. How long does Japan initially believe it will take to conquer mainland China?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) Three months.
11. By December during the occupation, Chang states that the population of Nanking has fallen to about how many people?
(a) Half a million.
(b) Fifty thousand.
(c) Four thousand.
(d) Three million.
12. To which atmosphere could the elementary schools of Japan best be compared?
(a) Home school.
13. A German diplomat reports that many Chinese women commit suicide by jumping into the Yangtze River between 1937 and 1938. Why?
(a) They were pregnant with half-Japanese babies.
(b) They could not find work.
(c) Their families could not bear the dishonor.
(d) Their husbands were angry with them for getting raped.
14. The commander of Nanking is supposed to be at the docks to evacuate the city by 6:00 pm. What time is it when he actually arrives?
(a) 4:00 pm.
(b) 8:00 pm.
(c) 2:00 am.
(d) 10:00 pm.
15. According to Ms. Chang, why is the Rape of Nanking not as well known as the Holocaust or Hiroshima?
(a) The victims stayed silent.
(b) The Chinese were ashamed of the incident.
(c) The Japanese killed all the witnesses.
(d) There were not as many deaths.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Six Weeks of Horror," Chang states that Japanese soldiers use all BUT WHICH of the following methods to exterminate Chinese civilians?
2. On what date does the commander who is left in charge of Nanking receive orders from the leader of the Nationalists to abandon the city?
3. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
4. Which of the following does the author NOT discover is a published book on the subject of Nanking?
5. In the Introduction, Ms. Chang quotes which of the following authors as stating that to forget a holocaust is to kill twice?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)