|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tuberculosis strikes the first commander of the Japanese military. Who then takes over as the leader of the troops around Nanking?
2. Which of the following does the author NOT discover is a published book on the subject of Nanking?
(a) Undeniable History in Photographs.
(b) Two Months of Terror.
(c) Tend of Orange Mist.
(d) Tree of Heaven.
3. The commander of Nanking is supposed to be at the docks to evacuate the city by 6:00 pm. What time is it when he actually arrives?
(a) 4:00 pm.
(b) 2:00 am.
(c) 8:00 pm.
(d) 10:00 pm.
4. Which Chinese city is known as "the Venice of China" and is completely devastated by the Japanese army?
5. In "Six Weeks of Horror," who is the woman who fights back against the Japanese rapists?
(a) Ohta Hisao.
(b) Liu Fang-chu.
(c) Li Xouying.
(d) Sun Zhaiwei.
6. By December during the occupation, Chang states that the population of Nanking has fallen to about how many people?
(a) Three million.
(b) Fifty thousand.
(c) Four thousand.
(d) Half a million.
7. All BUT WHICH of the following groups of citizens remain in Nanking after the soldiers leave the city?
(c) Government leaders.
8. For how many years does the conflict between China and Japan last?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Eight years.
9. To which atmosphere could the elementary schools of Japan best be compared?
(d) Home school.
10. When the Nanking Safety Zone is initially set up, how long does the International Committee intend for it to be open?
(a) One year.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two days.
11. For Asian nations, World War II can be dated from which year?
12. In which year does a group of officers launch a coup d'etat in Tokyo that kills the Prime Minister?
13. In what year does the Meiji government of Japan send a naval fleet to Korea to force a commerce agreement?
14. According to the Introduction, Africans believe World War II began in which year?
15. According to Ms. Chang, why is the Rape of Nanking not as well known as the Holocaust or Hiroshima?
(a) There were not as many deaths.
(b) The Japanese killed all the witnesses.
(c) The Chinese were ashamed of the incident.
(d) The victims stayed silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many women does Chang say are raped during the Japanese occupation of Nanking?
2. According to the Introduction, Americans think that World War II began in which year?
3. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
4. In "Six Weeks of Terror," what is the primary Japanese strategy for the invasion of Nanking?
5. Which of the following people is alone in advocating a strong defense for Nanking in November of 1937?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)