|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through What the World Knew.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the diary writers in "What the World Knew" is able to take several reels of film and smuggle them out of Nanking on which date?
(a) January 19.
(b) December 16.
(c) November 26.
(d) March 20.
2. What is the name of the ship on which most foreign diplomats leave Nanking right before it falls to the Japanese?
(a) HMS Hastings.
(b) HMS Fowey.
(c) USS Panay.
(d) USS Augusta.
3. What mood does the commander of Nanking find when he arrives at the river dock?
(c) Abandoned boats.
4. In comparison to Germany, what percentage of war reparations has Japan paid the victims of Nanking?
(b) Less than 1%.
(c) About 15%.
(d) More than 50%.
5. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which individual does Chang discuss second?
(a) American surgeon.
(b) German businessman.
(c) American missionary professor.
(d) German merchant.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date does the commander who is left in charge of Nanking receive orders from the leader of the Nationalists to abandon the city?
2. In "The Nanking Safety Zone," which of the following do the International Committee members NOT have to provide for the refugees in the Safety Zone?
3. What does the Japanese government do in response to the mass rape committed by soldiers in Nanking?
4. After the order to retreat is given, what route is left open to leave Nanking without encountering Japanese soldiers?
5. Which Chinese city is known as "the Venice of China" and is completely devastated by the Japanese army?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)