|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mark chose to go to college?
2. Who did Lori say was going to be her protector during her time in the hospital in 1985?
3. What did Mark admit made him less understanding of Lori's illness?
4. In Chapter 16, "Lori, New York Hospital, White Plains, New York, November 1985 - February 1986", how many cigarettes had Lori stated that she smoked every day by the time noon medications were administered?
5. What did Lori say that she realized "really lay down that road"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lori do to get thrown out of Futura House?
2. Describe Lori's typical day at New York Hospital in late 1985.
3. Why was Lori jealous of the voices that other patients heard?
4. What did Dr. Doller and Dr. Fischer explain to Lori about her Voices?
5. Describe the Quiet Room.
6. What did Marvin state that his life had "boiled down to" after Lori's release from the hospital?
7. Why did Marvin Schiller state that "all through the winter I loved hearing the phone ring"?
8. What were the two choices that Lori was given regarding her stay at 3 South?
9. How did Dr. Doller differ from all of Lori's other doctors?
10. What did "O.U." stand for and represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Control was a main theme of the text. Find three examples where the theme of control was highlighted and explain why this example was centered around control.
Essay Topic 2
Lori is able to write about her illness in a very honest and explicit way. Explain the importance of this format for both Lori and the reader. Why is Lori's honesty important for her? Why is it important for the reader? What does this honesty do for the text itself? What may it do for those suffering from schizophrenia?
Essay Topic 3
At many times throughout the text, Lori "finds" herself back in a hospital. Do you think that Lori forced her way back into hospitals for a reason? Do you think that, even though Lori hated the hospitals, the hospitals were the one place that she felt the safest? Support your answers textually.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)