|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Lori's parents trying to protect Lori from by not telling anyone about her illness?
2. What did wear to school one time in hopes that someone would ask what was wrong?
3. At the opening of Chapter 19, "Mark Schiller, Chicago, November 1986", who, from his family, did Mark state had met his girlfriend, Sally?
4. What was the thing that Lori needed to hear over, and over, from Marvin when she was released from the hospital?
5. What did Dr. Fischer and Dr. Doller say the Voices were a part of, when explaining them to Lori?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lori master the Quiet Room?
2. Why was Lori jealous of the voices that other patients heard?
3. Why did Mark Schiller keep breaking up with Sally every time a visit to his parent's home would grow close?
4. What did "C.O" stand for and represent?
5. What were the two choices that Lori was given regarding her stay at 3 South?
6. At New York Hospital, in late 1985, what was different about Lori's stay than the previous time?
7. Why did Marvin Schiller state that "all through the winter I loved hearing the phone ring"?
8. What did "O.U." stand for and represent?
9. What did Dr. Doller and Dr. Fischer explain to Lori about her Voices?
10. Describe Lori's plans, and what she actually did, to commit suicide (at the end of Chapter 20).
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Control was a main theme of the text. Find three examples where the theme of control was highlighted and explain why this example was centered around control.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think the chapters that showed Lori's journaling and the hospital records added to the text? Do you think that these were necessary additions to the text? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At many times throughout the text, Lori "finds" herself back in a hospital. Do you think that Lori forced her way back into hospitals for a reason? Do you think that, even though Lori hated the hospitals, the hospitals were the one place that she felt the safest? Support your answers textually.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)