|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened at Christmas in 1985 that forced Lori into the intermediate-care unit?
2. What did Mark claim Lori was when they were growing up?
3. In Chapter 16, "Lori, New York Hospital, White Plains, New York, November 1985 - February 1986", how many cigarettes had Lori stated that she smoked every day by the time noon medications were administered?
4. What was the scale that Lori came up with to determine the strength of the Voices?
5. What were Lori's parents trying to protect Lori from by not telling anyone about her illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Quiet Room.
2. Why did Mark Schiller keep breaking up with Sally every time a visit to his parent's home would grow close?
3. Why could one not get away with breaking the rules at 3 South?
4. Describe Lori's typical day at New York Hospital in late 1985.
5. Why did Lori create a scale for Dr. Doller?
6. Why was Lori jealous of the voices that other patients heard?
7. What did "O.U." stand for and represent?
8. What did Marvin state that his life had "boiled down to" after Lori's release from the hospital?
9. Explain the the compartments of Lori's brain.
10. What were the two choices that Lori was given regarding her stay at 3 South?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Quiet Room (the room itself) was a necessary part of Lori's recovery. Describe what the Quiet Room was to Lori. What did it begin as for her? How did she force a change in the Quiet Room? What did the Quiet Room become for her?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the times that Lori exploded at her parents. Why do you believe she did this? How did it help her in her illness? How did it harm her in her illness? Based upon the text, why do you think that Lori's outbursts may have been a step in the right direction towards controlling her illness? Or do you disagree? Why? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Both Nancy and Marvin Schiller reacted differently to Lori's illness. Compare and contrast Lori's parent's feelings and actions regarding Lori's illness.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)