|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the status "C.O." mean?
2. In Chapter 16, "Lori, New York Hospital, White Plains, New York, November 1985 - February 1986", how many cigarettes had Lori stated that she smoked every day by the time noon medications were administered?
3. What did Mark admit made him less understanding of Lori's illness?
4. What did Marvin want Lori to write down (because of this, she kept a paper and pencil by her bed)?
5. What was the scale that Lori came up with to determine the strength of the Voices?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lori's plans, and what she actually did, to commit suicide (at the end of Chapter 20).
2. What did Lori and Marvin do on the weekends to keep their "relations simple and on an even keel"?
3. Why did Mark Schiller state that he enjoyed Tulane?
4. Why did Mark Schiller keep breaking up with Sally every time a visit to his parent's home would grow close?
5. Why did Lori create a scale for Dr. Doller?
6. What did "C.O" stand for and represent?
7. What did Marvin state that his life had "boiled down to" after Lori's release from the hospital?
8. Why could one not get away with breaking the rules at 3 South?
9. Why did Lori state that she liked Rye Psychiatric?
10. Describe Lori's typical day at New York Hospital in late 1985.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lori's illness changed dramatically when she began taking clozapine. Describe the changes that Lori went through while on clozapine. What did she struggle with initially? How did the drug come to help her in the end? How was it different from all other drugs that she had taken previously?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the times that Lori exploded at her parents. Why do you believe she did this? How did it help her in her illness? How did it harm her in her illness? Based upon the text, why do you think that Lori's outbursts may have been a step in the right direction towards controlling her illness? Or do you disagree? Why? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Control was a main theme of the text. Find three examples where the theme of control was highlighted and explain why this example was centered around control.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)