|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lori hear the first time the Voices spoke to her?
2. Where was Tara Sonenshine from originally?
3. Where was Steven's brother, Mark, during the summer prior to his Senior year in high school?
4. After how many years did Steven's mother begin smoking again?
5. What words did Chapter 8, "Nancy Schiller, Payne Whitney Clinic, New York, August 1982 - September 1982" open with?
Short Essay Questions
1. At twenty-four, a year after being released from the hospital, what did Lori find worrisome?
2. In Chapter 11, why did Lori state that she hated the hospital?
3. In Chapter 11, what were the two reasons that Lori was glad to be home?
4. What did Lori do on a whim while in college?
5. What did Lori come to accept as a sign of fate that she should attend Tufts for college?
6. What "sales pitch" did Nancy Schiller believe would be the hardest one she ever had to make?
7. What were the multiple diagnoses that the doctors at Lori's hospital gave her?
8. What were the three things that Nancy Schiller did before she went to visit Lori in Payne Whitney?
9. Why did Lori feel special (as she described in Chapter 2)?
10. What did Marvin Schiller learn from the late night phone call, in March of 1982, from Lori Winters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What clues does the text provide to allow one to make genetic connections between Lori's illness and her family? Who admits that Lori's illness may have come from their side of the family? Why is this connection made? Do you believe that this is why Lori's parent acts differently than the other? Why?/Why not?
Essay Topic 2
Lori is ruled by her behaviors. Throughout the text, Lori's behaviors are detailed. Choose three of the most pertinent behaviors and describe 1) where the behavior stemmed from; 2) what preceded the behavior; 3) how Lori felt about the behavior; and 4) the consequence of the behavior.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think the chapters that showed Lori's journaling and the hospital records added to the text? Do you think that these were necessary additions to the text? Why or why not?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)