|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 3, "Lori, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts, September 1977 - June 1981", what did Lori state came more often than torment?
2. What did Nancy Schiller stop to buy at the corner of 66th Street and First Avenue?
3. When Steven was eleven what did he want to be (as noted in Chapter 7, "Steven Schiller, Scarsdale, New York, July 1982")?
4. Where was the "sweet guy" from that was "serious enough to want to marry" Lori?
5. What is wrong with the memory that plagued Lori, as described in Chapter 2, "Lori, Scarsdale, New York, August 1970-August 1977"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Steven Schiller really afraid of what had happened to his sister?
2. What did Steven's fears about Lori's commitment cause him to do?
3. What did Lori Winters, in Chapter 4, state was the reason that she called 911?
4. In Chapter 11, what were the two reasons that Lori was glad to be home?
5. Why did Lori state that for a long time, during high school, "relief came more than torment"?
6. What did Marvin Schiller learn from the late night phone call, in March of 1982, from Lori Winters?
7. What did Lori Winters, and some other friends of Lori Schiller's, believe was wrong with her during their senior year of college?
8. Why did Marvin tell Nancy that they needed to keep Lori's illness secret?
9. At twenty-four, a year after being released from the hospital, what did Lori find worrisome?
10. What two movies did Lori compare herself to when she came to believe that she was possessed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lori's need for cocaine. What did it do for her? Why did it seem to help her? How did it harm her?
Essay Topic 2
At many points throughout the text, Lori admits to losing past ties with friends and her life prior to her illness. Do you think that Lori needed to move on past her past? Why? Was this necessary for her to become well? Explain using textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Lori is ruled by her behaviors. Throughout the text, Lori's behaviors are detailed. Choose three of the most pertinent behaviors and describe 1) where the behavior stemmed from; 2) what preceded the behavior; 3) how Lori felt about the behavior; and 4) the consequence of the behavior.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)