|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the district attorney in Natchez?
(a) John Portman.
(b) Leo Marston.
(c) Austin Mackey.
(d) Ray Presley.
2. What happens as Penn is on his way home from the meeting with the man who warned Penn that his family might be in danger?
(a) Penn is shot at.
(b) Penn is beaten.
(c) Penn is an accident.
(d) Penn is mugged.
3. What is the name of Penn Cage's daughter?
4. While Penn was still in high school, who often worked for the father of the girl Penn was involved with?
(a) Ray Presley.
(b) Austin Mackey.
(c) Delano Payton.
(d) Leo Marston.
5. How does the story initially describe Ray Presley?
(a) As a dangerous man.
(b) As an honest person.
(c) As a lying thief.
(d) As an upstanding citizen.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tom, who raped Penn's aunt years earlier?
2. What is the name of the black woman who works for the Cage family?
3. After telling his father that he's bought the gun, whose office does Penn head to?
4. Who is the father of the girl Penn was involved with during high school?
5. Of what is Penn accused by the woman who throws a drink in his face?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Annie is returned to Penn, there is also a note for Penn. What does the note say?
2. What does Penn learn from the eyewitness that Penn tracks down upon his return to Natchez?
3. After Johnson speaks at Ruby's funeral, Althea gets up to speak. What does Althea say?
4. Why did Presley return the gun he borrowed from Tom?
5. How does Penn respond when he hears the announcement from the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge?
6. After Presley is killed, why does Leo Marston apologize to Penn?
7. What announcement does the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge make that shocks Penn?
8. When Penn arrives at his interview in Colorado, the interviewee does not want to talk. What changes the interviewee's mind?
9. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, what does Penn think is going on?
10. Why does Caitlin change her mind about publishing Penn's accusations in her paper?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)