|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Leo Marston characterized when he is introduced into the novel?
(a) As Natchez money.
(b) As Natchez greed.
(c) As Natchez royalty.
(d) As Natchez loyalty.
2. How long before the story begins does Penn Cage's wife die?
(a) Two months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Ten months.
(d) Seven months.
3. What happens as Penn is on his way home from the meeting with the man who warned Penn that his family might be in danger?
(a) Penn is beaten.
(b) Penn is an accident.
(c) Penn is shot at.
(d) Penn is mugged.
4. How does Penn characterize the man who convinces Penn to meet with him by telling Penn that his family is in danger?
(a) As a thief.
(b) As a friend.
(c) As an actor.
(d) As a liar.
5. As Penn and his interviewer discuss racism in the south, how does Penn react?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Penn offer to Ray Presley to buy Presley's gun?
2. How did Payton die?
3. According to the rumors that Penn had heard, where is Olivia living?
4. What is the name of the black man running for mayor in Penn's hometown?
5. How long has Penn been away from Natchez for before he returns to begin a new life?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Penn announces to his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, how do Penn's parents react?
2. According to Austin Mackey, why did Mackey not investigate the Payton murder himself?
3. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
4. How does Penn feel when he returns to his hometown to begin life anew?
5. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, how does Tom react?
6. According to Penn's mother, why had she been upset earlier on the phone?
7. Why does Ike Ransom refuse to elaborate when he tells Penn who he believes was involved in the Payton murder?
8. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, what does Penn think is going on?
9. When Penn calls home to tell his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, he senses something is wrong. Why does Penn not press his mother for details?
10. When Penn asks his father if he ever found out the reason behind Marston's attack, what is Tom's reply?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)