|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the two women tell Penn the story of Payton's murder, how does Penn react?
(a) Penn is in denial.
(b) Penn is contrite.
(c) Penn is sympathetic.
(d) Penn is outraged.
2. What company is considering Natchez for its new plant location?
3. What is the name of Penn Cage's wife?
4. How does the story initially describe Ray Presley?
(a) As a dangerous man.
(b) As a lying thief.
(c) As an honest person.
(d) As an upstanding citizen.
5. According to the person who convinces Penn to meet with him by telling him that his family is in danger, what does this person consider Payton to be?
(a) An electric charge.
(b) A thunderbolt.
(c) A trumpet call.
(d) A stepping stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of death listed on Payton's death certificate?
2. What is the name of the man Penn fought with for the right to prosecute Hanratty?
3. When Tom was the defendant in a malpractice suit years earlier, who was the prosecuting attorney?
4. Who follows Penn as he returns home from the fundraiser?
5. According to the rumors that Penn had heard, where is Olivia living?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Sam Jacobs, what two things drive the Marston family?
2. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
3. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
4. Why is Penn confused by the comments made by the woman who threw the drink in Penn's face at the fundraising party?
5. Why did Presley return the gun he borrowed from Tom?
6. Why does Ike Ransom refuse to elaborate when he tells Penn who he believes was involved in the Payton murder?
7. How does Penn explain to his interviewer that Johnson is not courting the black vote?
8. After Hanratty is convicted, what does Hanratty's brother do?
9. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
10. According to the story Penn tells during his interview, why was Payton murdered?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)