|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the black man running for mayor in Penn's hometown?
(a) Tom Cage.
(b) Shad Johnson.
(c) Henry Lee.
(d) Ray Presley.
2. According to Tom, who raped Penn's aunt years earlier?
(a) Don Hillman.
(b) Leo Marston.
(c) Riley Warren.
(d) Ray Presley.
3. How does the story initially describe Tom Cage?
(a) A fine man.
(b) A lying thief.
(c) A dangerous man.
(d) An incompetent doctor.
4. When Penn has a dream that someone is trying to tell him something, whom does Penn see in his dream?
(a) Caitlin Masters.
(b) Peggy Cage.
(c) Olivia Marston.
(d) Ruby Flowers.
5. At the time of the fight with Penn, what was the occupation of the man Penn fought with for the right to prosecute Hanratty?
(a) California District Attorney.
(b) Oregon Deputy Director.
(c) Natchez County Sheriff.
(d) FBI Director.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the person who convinces Penn to meet with him by telling him that his family is in danger, what is the next step after being mayor of Natchez?
2. Who follows Penn as he returns home from the fundraiser?
3. Whom does Penn suggest Tom talk to about Tom's options regarding the blackmail?
4. Who is the father of the girl Penn was involved with during high school?
5. According to the person who convinces Penn to meet with him by telling him that his family is in danger, what does this person consider Payton to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Penn's FBI contact, what reason was given for sealing Payton's case files?
2. Why did Presley return the gun he borrowed from Tom?
3. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
4. Why does Penn decide to move back to his hometown?
5. Why does Ike Ransom refuse to elaborate when he tells Penn who he believes was involved in the Payton murder?
6. When Penn asks his father if he ever found out the reason behind Marston's attack, what is Tom's reply?
7. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
8. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, what does Penn think is going on?
9. How does Penn feel when he returns to his hometown to begin life anew?
10. After Hanratty is convicted, what does Hanratty's brother do?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)