|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long before the story begins does Penn Cage's wife die?
(a) Ten months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Seven months.
2. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, who rings Tom's doorbell?
3. In what state did Hillman's murder take place?
4. According to Penn's friend at the FBI, who sealed Payton's case file?
(a) John Portman.
(b) J. Edgar Hoover.
(c) Ronald Rundell.
(d) President Nixon.
5. When Penn suggests to his father that they need to talk, where do the two men go?
(a) The library.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The back porch.
(d) The kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Penn has a dream that someone is trying to tell him something, whom does Penn see in his dream?
2. What has Presley recently been diagnosed with?
3. Why does the waitress interrupt Penn's interview?
4. How much money does Penn offer to Ray Presley to buy Presley's gun?
5. How is Leo Marston characterized when he is introduced into the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Penn's mother confesses why she has been upset, why is Penn stunned by her news?
2. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
3. According to Austin Mackey, why did Mackey not investigate the Payton murder himself?
4. Why does Pinder tell Penn that he's going to pretend to have never met Penn?
5. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
6. When Penn asks his father if he ever found out the reason behind Marston's attack, what is Tom's reply?
7. How does Penn explain to his interviewer that Johnson is not courting the black vote?
8. How does Penn feel when he returns to his hometown to begin life anew?
9. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
10. Why does Ike Ransom refuse to elaborate when he tells Penn who he believes was involved in the Payton murder?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)