|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time passes before Presley begins talking about Hillman's murder?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Twenty-five years.
2. What is the name of Penn Cage's mother?
3. What happened to Tom when he was the defendant in a malpractice suit years earlier?
(a) Tom fled the state.
(b) Tom had a heart attack.
(c) Tom had a nervous breakdown.
(d) Tom was arrested.
4. How is Leo Marston characterized when he is introduced into the novel?
(a) As Natchez royalty.
(b) As Natchez money.
(c) As Natchez greed.
(d) As Natchez loyalty.
5. After Hanratty is convicted, his brother is shot and killed. Who shoots Hanratty's brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the story initially describe Tom Cage?
2. According to the article published after Penn's interview, what does Penn call Payton's murderers?
3. Who is the current mayor of Natchez?
4. Why does the waitress interrupt Penn's interview?
5. Who is Payton's widow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
2. According to Sam Jacobs, what two things drive the Marston family?
3. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
4. When the two women leave Tom's house, what has Penn decided to do for them?
5. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
6. When Penn sees Mackey at the fundraising party, why is Mackey angry with Penn?
7. According to Austin Mackey, why did Mackey not investigate the Payton murder himself?
8. Why does Pinder tell Penn that he's going to pretend to have never met Penn?
9. Why is Penn confused by the comments made by the woman who threw the drink in Penn's face at the fundraising party?
10. According to Penn's mother, why had she been upset earlier on the phone?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)