|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Penn's friend at the FBI, who sealed Payton's case file?
(a) J. Edgar Hoover.
(b) Ronald Rundell.
(c) John Portman.
(d) President Nixon.
2. When the two women tell Penn the story of Payton's murder, how does Penn react?
(a) Penn is outraged.
(b) Penn is contrite.
(c) Penn is in denial.
(d) Penn is sympathetic.
3. How does the story initially describe Tom Cage?
(a) A lying thief.
(b) A dangerous man.
(c) A fine man.
(d) An incompetent doctor.
4. What has Presley recently been diagnosed with?
(b) Lung disease.
(c) Heart murmurs.
(d) Kidney failure.
5. What is the nickname of the person who follows Penn home from the fundraiser?
(a) The Terminator.
(b) The Matador.
(c) The Spike.
(d) The Machine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before the story begins does Penn Cage's wife die?
2. Why does the waitress interrupt Penn's interview?
3. How many Hanratty brothers are there?
4. In what year was Payton murdered?
5. What is the occupation of Penn Cage's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Sam Jacobs, what two things drive the Marston family?
2. Why does Sam Jacobs warn Penn about the Payton murder as they leave the fund-raising party?
3. According to Penn's FBI contact, what reason was given for sealing Payton's case files?
4. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
5. According to Penn's mother, why had she been upset earlier on the phone?
6. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, what does Penn think is going on?
7. Why does Tom Cage at first not believe that Leo Marston would have been involved in Payton's murder?
8. What does Penn learn from the eyewitness that Penn tracks down upon his return to Natchez?
9. How does Penn respond when he hears the announcement from the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge?
10. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)