|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the two women tell Penn the story of Payton's murder, how does Penn react?
(a) Penn is sympathetic.
(b) Penn is contrite.
(c) Penn is outraged.
(d) Penn is in denial.
2. As Chapter Five opens, to whom does Penn grant an interview?
(a) Caitlin Masters.
(b) Olivia Mackey.
(c) Olivia Marston.
(d) Caitlin Presley.
3. What happened to Tom when he was the defendant in a malpractice suit years earlier?
(a) Tom had a heart attack.
(b) Tom was arrested.
(c) Tom fled the state.
(d) Tom had a nervous breakdown.
4. How did Payton die?
(a) He suffocated.
(b) He burned to death.
(c) He was shot.
(d) He was in an accident.
5. After committing a racially-motivated murder in California, where did Hanratty and his brothers escape to?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Payton murdered?
2. When Tom was the defendant in a malpractice suit years earlier, who was the prosecuting attorney?
3. What is the name of the man Penn fought with for the right to prosecute Hanratty?
4. Why does the waitress interrupt Penn's interview?
5. What does one of the Hanratty brothers periodically send to Penn?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Penn and Tom discuss Tom's options regarding the blackmail, Penn suggests two options to his father. What are they?
2. Why does Shad Johnson want Penn to leave the Payton case alone?
3. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
4. When the two women leave Tom's house, what has Penn decided to do for them?
5. Why did Presley return the gun he borrowed from Tom?
6. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
7. Why does Sam Jacobs warn Penn about the Payton murder as they leave the fund-raising party?
8. When Penn first meets with the person he agrees to be interviewed by, why is Penn stunned?
9. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, how does Tom react?
10. Why does Pinder tell Penn that he's going to pretend to have never met Penn?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)